HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Iginla Traded To Pittsburgh

Old
03-28-2013, 12:55 AM
Trvp Lord

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Iginla Traded To Pittsburgh

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419259

Quote:
Jarome Iginla's 18-year tenure with the Calgary Flames has come to an end.

The team announced that it has dealt Iginla to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for college prospects Kenneth Agostino and Ben Hanowski as well as Pittsburgh's 2013 first-round draft pick.

Unbelievable... Now the clear team to beat this season.

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:58 AM
Adityase

Send a message via AIM to Adityase
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsRatchet View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419259

Unbelievable... Now the clear team to beat this season.

Probably... But Pittsburgh would be smart to learn the lessons of the 1995 Wings.

When you don't play the other conference at all in a shortened season, the Stanley Cup Final can be a rude awakening.

Adityase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:59 AM
detredWINgs

Shero is going for it. He saw what Getzlaf and Perry cost on the open market and recognizes Malkin is a goner after next year, especially with what they'll have to shell to keep Letang.

Also, it'll be hilarity if they don't win the Stanley Cup. Shero has now shelled out:

1 top prospect
2 long-shot prospects
1 1st round pick
2 2nd round picks
1 3rd round pick

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:00 AM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
The reaction of the Pens franchise if they don't even make it past the first round of the playoffs will be priceless.

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:02 AM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 420
The bandwagon will be large. Brace yourselves.

P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:03 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Wings fans already laughing at the potential failure of the Penguins.

Can't fail if you don't try, right? That must be Kenny Holland's motto these days

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:03 AM
Adityase

Send a message via AIM to Adityase
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Shero is going for it. He saw what Getzlaf and Perry cost on the open market and recognizes Malkin is a goner after next year, especially with what they'll have to shell to keep Letang.

Also, it'll be hilarity if they don't win the Stanley Cup. Shero has now shelled out:

1 top prospect
2 long-shot prospects
1 1st round pick
2 2nd round picks
1 3rd round pick
Wait, are you saying the Wings could get Malkin if Dats leaves?

Adityase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:04 AM
Thats My Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adityase View Post
Get 'er done Kenny!

Thats My Hat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:05 AM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsRatchet View Post
The reaction of the Pens franchise if they don't even make it past the first round of the playoffs will be priceless.

He just added two other NHL teams' captains to his roster. His highest draft pick this year is a 4th rounder.

No, no...The reaction of the franchise if they don't win the cup.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:06 AM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Can't fail if you don't try, right? That must be Kenny Holland's motto these days

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:06 AM
aar000n

So happy we didn't get him.

aar000n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:07 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

I'm having a great time tonight both at the Bruins' fans expense and because of the general reaction around the board. You can't buy this kind of entertainment.

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:08 AM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post

1 top prospect
2 long-shot prospects
1 1st round pick
2 2nd round picks
1 3rd round pick
Yeah, like I said in the other thread I really hope they crash and burn in the post season. Boston, Montreal, and a possibly healthy Ottawa could give them a run for their money. An 8th seed NYR could be a nightmare for them in the first round.

Penguins D is still iffy, just like last year.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:13 AM
CorbeauNoir

ugh, ANY team but the Penguins. Looks like I'll be focusing more on MLS than I already was, the double-intensified media ********** is going to be excruciating.

CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adityase View Post
I'm saying Malkin surely recognizes that he could get $10M on the open market and wouldn't have to play second fiddle to Crosby to boot.

Old
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Wings fans already laughing at the potential failure of the Penguins.

What do you expect us to do? become fans and cheer for them to succeed? Of course we hope they fail so we can laugh at them selling their future.

I hope Boston fails in the first round too...same with Chicago, San Jose, St. Louis, Montreal and any other team that isn't Detroit.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:16 AM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
What do you expect us to do? become fans and cheer for them to succeed? Of course we hope they fail so we can laugh at them selling their future.
I was hoping the Boston deal went through just because it was such highway robbery.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:17 AM
19 for president

vCash: 562
Shero was smart to get this done as early as possible and I think going for it is not a bad idea in terms of where that team is currently. With that said... big time adds at the deadline or near the deadline rarely lead to cups immediately.

The only major deadline deal to lead to a cup that I can think of is Rob Blake. R Bourque, M. Hossa, Bure, B. Richards, B. Campbell, B. Guerin, T. Bertuzzi, C Chelios, Selanne, Tkachuk were all dealt to teams that did not win the cup that year.

If the Pens can convince Iggy to re-up for at least one more year I think this is a great deal for the Pens even if they don't win the cup this year. As a pure rental though its a bit risky. They certainly look to be the class of the East, but I'll wait to announce them as Cup winners.

19 for president is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:23 AM
The Nose
#FireHolland

I understand Shero going for it all, but he hasn't addressed the team's weaknesses at all.

They are already the highest scoring team in the league, with the two best centers in the league. How much could Iginla really help? Crosby has made Kunitz the league's second leading scorer, he doesn't need elite wingers.

Should've used the package to bring in a top-four defenseman because their goaltending and defense hasn't changed one bit since its meltdown last year (not to mention Letang is injury prone).

Iginla will obviously help them, but I question how much of an impact he's actually going to have compared to what a defenseman could've done for that team.

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:26 AM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
I understand Shero going for it all, but he hasn't addressed the team's weaknesses at all.

They are already the highest scoring team in the league, with the two best centers in the league. How much could Iginla really help? Crosby has made Kunitz the league's second leading scorer, he doesn't need elite wingers.

Should've used the package to bring in a top-four defenseman because their goaltending and defense hasn't changed one bit since its meltdown last year (not to mention Letang is injury prone).

Iginla will obviously help them, but I question how much of an impact he's actually going to have compared to what a defenseman could've done for that team.
They're planning to score 6-7 goals a game to cover up their patchy D? With this kind of stacking it might even work.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:28 AM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 for president View Post

If the Pens can convince Iggy to re-up for at least one more year I think this is a great deal for the Pens even if they don't win the cup this year. As a pure rental though its a bit risky. They certainly look to be the class of the East, but I'll wait to announce them as Cup winners.
The Penguins have 7 NHL roster spots to fill with just under 11 million dollars next year.

Some of the FA's they have to decide on will include Iginla, Morrow, Murray, Kennedy, Cooke, and Dupuis.

They can probably get Iginla, Morrow, Murray, and possibly Cooke to take less on their next deal but even that might be a stretch is some of their cases. The others will be due raises.

Just those 6 players are making 19 million this season. Then the following year they have Malkin, Letang, Orpik and Kunitz to deal with.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:35 AM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post

I'm interested to see how Murray will do. He's slow as molasses and Sharks fans couldn't stand him. I think the Pens are hoping lightning will strike twice and a big, slow Murray will work for them in the same way a big, slow, Gill did.

I'm thinking its going to backfire this time.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:45 AM
CloneHakanPlease*

Shero is the ultimate troll. Hope it works out for him

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:45 AM
Detroit Sports
NMC aka LOL -Jimmy H

aaron ward is a moron.

Detroit Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:55 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post

I hope Boston fails in the first round too...same with Chicago, San Jose, St. Louis, Montreal and any other team that isn't Detroit.
Personally, I like Iginla. As much as I detest Crosby, I'm going to have a hard time rooting against Iginla unless he's playing against Detroit -- which I don't expect.

The Pens were one of my favorites until Doucheby showed his doucheyness as a rookie. Always loved the Igloo, liked Lemieux and rooted for those guys hard when they won their cups in the early 90s.

By the same token, I'll always root for a Montreal. I like Chicago a lot, too, because I like their players and I knew Quenneville's family.

I always liked the Sharks as an expansion team -- even though they killed us that year with the Osgood goal. I hate Thornton. But I like Stuart. So if the Sharks were in the cup final, i could root for Stuart.

I never thought I could root for the Bruins, as a kid who grew up rooting for the Habs, and yet, while I wanted fans in Vancouver to win their cup, I soon realized I could not cheer for the Sedins, and found myself rooting for the Bruins.

I guess I don't laugh at "fanbases." There are some fans who troll hfboards, acting superior, bashing fans of tough teams, bashing fans of Canadian teams, bashing fans of rival teams, bashing fans of any team that I might fear is better than my team, or bashing fans of defensemen who might be better than my favorite defenseman....

What I will do is engage anyone -- friend or foe -- in a debate. I don't care if you're a Wings fan or a Crosby fan, a Penguins fan or a Datsyuk fan. If you say something I think is off the wall, I'll let you know

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote