HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Django Unchained - (Quentin Tarantino)

Old
03-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Eisen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
Was the song used in the Trinity movies, likely helped me leave Django Unchained with a good feeling? I think it was the 2nd Trinity that has one of my favourite scenes from any childhood movie. When the family is sitting around eating their beans. Almost never want to see the movie again, doubt it would live up to memory.
I watched them as a child and they never lost any charm for me. Have them on DVD and still watch them at least once a year. The eating scenes are of course always a highlight.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:47 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Maybe he knew Matrix Reloaded was on the way.
I wonder which is worse, Wild Wild West or Reloaded? I only had the misfortune of sitting through one (Reloaded).

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Shareefruck

Stars like Will Smith and Oprah really encapsulate what I hate about celebrities/Hollywood, personally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Or he thought The Matrix would absolutely bomb and be a terrible movie? Not outlandish considering a film like that hasn't been made before.

Stars pass on films all the time. It isn't always ego or $$$ driven
“Django wasn’t the lead, so it was like, I need to be the lead. The other character was the lead! I was like, ‘No, Quentin, please, I need to kill the bad guy!”

That one's pretty indisputably ego-driven.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:10 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Stars like Will Smith and Oprah really encapsulate what I hate about celebrities/Hollywood, personally.
“Django wasn’t the lead, so it was like, I need to be the lead. The other character was the lead! I was like, ‘No, Quentin, please, I need to kill the bad guy!”

OBVIOUSLY turning down django was ego. I'm saying that Smith turning down the role of Neo isn't automatically ego driven. Especially since Neo IS the central character.

Honestly I have more respect for smith after this excerpt. I thought he turned the role down because of some political, racial, Spike Lee nonsense and was worried about his image as a black actor.

I have way less patience for that than I do for a movie star thinking highly of himself.

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
OBVIOUSLY turning down django was ego. I'm saying that Smith turning down the role of Neo isn't automatically ego driven. Especially since Neo IS the central character.

Honestly I have more respect for smith after this excerpt. I thought he turned the role down because of some political, racial, Spike Lee nonsense and was worried about his image as a black actor.

I have way less patience for that than I do for a movie star thinking highly of himself.
I feel the other way around. I thought the Spike Lee stuff was ridiculous and idiotic, but I could understand an actor being hesitant to take on the role because it's such a risky racial thing. I have zero respect for pompous, self-righteous celebrity ego hidden in a cloud of "I'm actually really a nice person!"-ness, on the other hand. That stuff makes me want to physically hurt someone.

Honestly, I don't remotely feel offended by any of the stuff in Django, simply because I couldn't care less about that stuff either way, but I'm still not totally convinced if it was a sincere, innocent effort for the good of fun on Tarantino's part. I thought the Jew revenge stuff in Inglourious Basterds was fine, but I could definitely understand someone finding Django tasteless.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Eisen

Quote:

Sure it's ego driven. But he can reject a role if he wants to. His loss quite frankly. When was the last time Smith made a film that is worth mentioning?
And I don't hate Smith. I like his jolliness.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:36 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
Sure it's ego driven. But he can reject a role if he wants to. His loss quite frankly. When was the last time Smith made a film that is worth mentioning?
And I don't hate Smith. I like his jolliness.
I didn't like Django at all, so it doesn't really matter to me either way on a practical level.

Sure he can do whatever he wants-- I just think he's awful/unlikeable and prototypically embodies everything that's bad about celebrities.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:14 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
but I'm still not totally convinced if it was a sincere, innocent effort for the good of fun on Tarantino's part.
What does that mean?

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:35 PM
Eisen

Quote:
I didn't like Django at all, so it doesn't really matter to me either way on a practical level.

Sure he can do whatever he wants-- I just think he's awful/unlikeable and prototypically embodies everything that's bad about celebrities.
Is that Wee Hughie in your avatar? Looks like him to me.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:02 AM
Shareefruck

It's Louis CK. What's a Wee Hughie?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
What does that mean?
Well with something like Inglourious Basterds, I always got the feeling that Tarantino just didn't care if someone might mistake it for something offensive, tasteless or poorly intentioned, only caring that it seemed like an interesting, fun, and harmless idea to him and that people should get the stick out of their *** if it bothers or offends them. Even his other movies similarly might rub people the wrong way, but I never questioned that his intention was to do anything besides make an exhileratingly cool movie.

I'm not sure I felt Django was quite so innocent compared to the others. I don't know if I can really point my finger on it, but parts of it definitely felt more ill intentioned and hateful to me. Not that there's necessarily too much wrong with that, but I can definitely understand an actor being put off or worried by the content moreso than "but I'm supposed to be the star!".

Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-28-2013 at 02:11 AM.
Old
03-28-2013, 01:53 AM
Eisen

Quote:
Well with something like Inglourious Basterds, I always got the feeling that Tarantino just didn't care if someone might mistake it for something offensive, tasteless or poorly intentioned, only caring that it seemed like an interesting, fun, and harmless idea to him and that people should get the stick out of their *** if it bothers or offends them. Even his other movies similarly might rub people the wrong way, but I never questioned that his intention was to do anything besides make an exhileratingly cool movie.

I'm not sure I felt Django was quite so innocent compared to the others. I don't know if I can really point my finger on it, but parts of it definitely felt more ill intentioned and hateful to me. Not that there's necessarily too much wrong with that, but I can definitely understand an actor being put off by the content moreso than "but I'm supposed to be the star!".
Wee Hughie is a comic character from "The Boys'. It's one of the comics that I want to see made in to a movie. Google him. He's the spitting image of your avatar.

Last edited by Eisen: 03-28-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old
03-28-2013, 02:09 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
Wee Hughie is a comic character from "The Boys'. It's one of the comics that I want to see made in to a movie. Google him. He's the spiting image of your avatar.
I see. He looks alot like Simon Pegg.

You really didn't recognize Louis CK though?

Old
03-28-2013, 02:10 AM
Eisen

Quote:
I see. He looks alot like Simon Pegg.

You really didn't recognize Louis CK though?
Never heard of him. I just moved to the US half a year ago. Unfortunately he's not popular in Germany.

Edit: Wow, just googled Simon Pegg. He needs to be Wee Hughie.

Last edited by Eisen: 03-28-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old
03-28-2013, 02:14 AM
Eisen

Quote:

I'm not sure I felt Django was quite so innocent compared to the others. I don't know if I can really point my finger on it, but parts of it definitely felt more ill intentioned and hateful to me. Not that there's necessarily too much wrong with that, but I can definitely understand an actor being put off or worried by the content moreso than "but I'm supposed to be the star!".
Know what you mean. Jackson being more racist than the white guys was a bit surprising to me. Still loved the movie. And if a coloured actor can stomach it, who is the whitebread that is me to judge?

Old
03-28-2013, 02:17 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:

Who is it hateful and ill mentioned towards? Slavery owners?

Old
03-28-2013, 03:05 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Who is it hateful and ill mentioned towards? Slavery owners?
Hey, I said I couldn't quite put my finger on it and that it was only a gut impression. And for the record, I don't mean that in a "this movie disparages this group of people, booo, I'm outraged!" sort of way (I pretty much never make complaints like that), but I definitely get the impression that something about Tarantino's intentions stinks and doesn't feel harmless/innocent to me. It feels like rather than doing it for the pure entertainment of it, he actually wants to imply something with his movie that's off the mark and ignorant/***ish. I just get that feeling watching it in a way that I normally don't, and again I can't put my finger on it.

Maybe it's just because I didn't like it-- the same way that a crude vaguely insensitive (but non-hateful) joke that steps on the toes of the oversensitive is more than okay/harmless when it's hilarious (and should be encouraged for being bold/progressive, IMO), but if you find the joke stale/humorless/distasteful, even if there's technically nothing wrong with it, the in-your-face, needlessly over the top extra content makes you scratch your head and think "What the hell? This is stupid-- The guy either doesn't have his head screwed on too tight, has some backwards hidden issues with the subject that he was careful enough to dance around, or is just an ***hole looking for attention."

I'm not saying anyone has to have the same reaction as I did, but do you see what I'm sort of getting at? That side of it just left a really bad taste in my mouth (that I can relate to an actor having a similar reaction to), regardless of whether or not it's warranted or if the movie's doing anything all that bad.

(and for the record, in response to Eisen, it's definitely not remotely offensive to black people, that much is clear-- it goes to the extreme in the opposite direction, if anything)

Last edited by Shareefruck: 03-28-2013 at 03:28 AM.
Old
03-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Kitten Mittons

I guess I see what you're saying but I personally see Django as a carbon copy of Basterds (although Basterds was a much better movie).

Old
03-28-2013, 11:34 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
I guess I see what you're saying but I personally see Django as a carbon copy of Basterds (although Basterds was a much better movie).
I thought Basterds was more of a "wouldn't it be cool if..." movie, whereas there seems to be more of an underlying sinister bitterness fueling Django that I didn't like.

Old
03-29-2013, 07:46 AM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
I thought Basterds was more of a "wouldn't it be cool if..." movie, whereas there seems to be more of an underlying sinister bitterness fueling Django that I didn't like.
I heard one theory that Django was one of his "movies about movies" (sorry if this has been brought up before) where he is using slavery to depict what black actors have to go through. There is the uncle Tom type character where Jackson's character was in a good place and he didn't want to ruin it, there is the mandingo type characters that are just exploitation, and then the Django characters where they get to play the hero but it could be a part they aren't comfortable with in order to get through (this was bigger a little while back).

Also there was a bit of an apology to Germany for IB by having Waltz' character being so awesome.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:26 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 50
I've never seen a more formulaic movie, appealing to a more obvious demographic in my life.

You gotta hand it to Tarantino though; this movie was guaranteed to succeed. Making enormous profits off racial tension, with minimal risk involved. The black demographic alone was guaranteed to make Tarantino a fortune.

Personally I thought the violence was too cheesy; it threw me off. I also didn't like how there were maybe two white people in the whole movie that weren't racist pieces of ****. Maybe balance it out a little bit?

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
I've never seen a more formulaic movie, appealing to a more obvious demographic in my life.

You gotta hand it to Tarantino though; this movie was guaranteed to succeed. Making enormous profits off racial tension, with minimal risk involved. The black demographic alone was guaranteed to make Tarantino a fortune.

Personally I thought the violence was too cheesy; it threw me off. I also didn't like how there were maybe two white people in the whole movie that weren't racist pieces of ****. Maybe balance it out a little bit?
Balance it out a bit? Throughout the course of (*our relatively short*) history on this continent white folk have been pretty damn horrid towards minorities, the balance of the "badness" scales are tipped heavily in white people's favour when it comes to their race relation capabilities. Of course there are good and bad white people but I'd venture to say there's been more bad than good done to this point. I don't get how a white person could be in the least bit offended by this movie.

Last edited by Philly85: 03-29-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:44 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Balance it out a bit? Throughout the course of (*our relatively short*) history on this continent white folk have been pretty damn horrid towards minorities, the balance of the "badness" scales are tipped heavily in white people's favour when it comes to their race relation capabilities. Of course there are good and bad white people but I'd venture to say there's been more bad than good done to this point. I don't get how a white person could be in the least bit offended by this movie.
See, I never really understood this logic. A minority can get away with more **** in the present day simply because they had a really hard time historically.

That really hamstrings society's ability to progress and become a fair and balanced place, IMO.

Not sure I think this movie is guilty of any of that, but do not agree with the reasoning behind that at all.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:05 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Tarantino has certainly picked the easiest of targets with his last two movies. White supremacists/racists and Nazis.

It's easy to make a villain in your movie when history has already spent decades/centuries building them up for you. I hope he does something somewhat challenging next.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 06:02 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
See, I never really understood this logic. A minority can get away with more **** in the present day simply because they had a really hard time historically.

That really hamstrings society's ability to progress and become a fair and balanced place, IMO.

Not sure I think this movie is guilty of any of that, but do not agree with the reasoning behind that at all.
It's a delicate balance and you are right in essence with what you say but the amount of damage that has been done takes more than just 100, maybe even 200 years to recover from. Very fine line and I'm not saying automatically minorities should be able to get away with anything extra but there is some slack there that we have to give, at least in my personal opinion. To me it's understandable if they dislike or eveb hate the white man to an extent.

But given the progress of North American society as a whole, and the need of people on our continent as well as across the world to be connected, to be a global community so to speak in order for us to have "success", I can't see sheer hatred and racism existing on a very big, overt scale for too much longer. So I guess my point is this is all kind of a natural part of the process, and that's why it doesn't bother me at all. Time heals all wounds sorta deal. Not a very coherent thought, I dunno, I tried the best I could, I'm hung over as hell, half asleep lol...

Last edited by Philly85: 03-30-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 12:10 AM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Tarantino has certainly picked the easiest of targets with his last two movies. White supremacists/racists and Nazis.

It's easy to make a villain in your movie when history has already spent decades/centuries building them up for you. I hope he does something somewhat challenging next.
Even though I liked the movie I agree with you there. That's what made Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction so awesome. Gangsters doing gangster stuff. Very unlikely heroes.