HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Best and Worst Rivalry?

Old
08-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Cawz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF View Post
94? 88?
Once every decade?

I dunno. Was there all that much of a rivalry the years before the Flames made their run? 94 was many moons ago.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2006, 07:15 PM
da_pope*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Once every decade?

I dunno. Was there all that much of a rivalry the years before the Flames made their run? 94 was many moons ago.
The only reason that the Canucks/Flames ever had a rivalry last season is because we were the two contending teams that everyone was predicting to represent the west. Once it was clear that the Flames were the superior it really lost it's pizzaz.

da_pope* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 02:02 AM
Yes Im Peter Ing

Send a message via MSN to Yes Im Peter Ing
Those who suggest the Leafs-Sens rivalry is somehow diminished by one of the two team's lack of competitiveness obviously don't live anywhere near the region in question. Both teams could be on opposite ends of the standings and the fans would still get up for this game. As a Leafer attending school in Ottawa, everyday that I put on any type of Leaf gear is an adventure (and a fun one!).

The hate and passion this match-up produces stretches to all facets of life - school, work, recreation... In one of my exams last year, the proctor mentioned that she was a Leaf fan. This set off a huge argument that basically split the room in two with Sens fans on one side and Leaf fans on the other. All the while, I'm sitting there thinking that only in the midst of a Hockey rivalry like this in Canada could a setting such as an exam room be transformed into a battle ground for Hockey fans.

Yes Im Peter Ing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 02:54 AM
GuloGulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
And you are basing that on what? The voices in your head? Do you realize how silly you appear?

You've already stated that you have a deep rooted hatred of the Oilers since they stopped your team's dynasty attempt 20-some years ago. You started a thread saying how the Oiler fans are overrated and now you say the Oilers rivalry with the Flames is forced and fake?

You dont like the Oilers. We get it.

Dynasty \Dy"nas*ty\ (d[imac]"nas*t[y^] or d[i^]n"as*t[y^]; 277),
n.; pl. Dynasties (-t[i^]z). [Gr. dynastei`a lordship, fr.
dynastey`ein to hold power or lordship, fr. dyna`sths: cf. F.
dynastie dynasty. See Dynast.]
1. Sovereignty; lordship; dominion. --Johnson.
[1913 Webster]

2. A race or succession of kings, of the same line or family;
the continued lordship of a race of rulers.
[1913 Webster]

3. The New York Islanders
[1983 Oilers]

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 06:52 PM
CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_pope View Post
The only reason that the Canucks/Flames ever had a rivalry last season is because we were the two contending teams that everyone was predicting to represent the west. Once it was clear that the Flames were the superior it really lost it's pizzaz.
*yawn*

CF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Giggy View Post
Anaheim-Phoenix's starting to become a good rivalry as well as LA vs. SJ
La and SJ don't have a rivalry. SJ wins 98% of the meetings. It's a recurring nightmare from La's perspective and an easy win from SJ's

Old
08-09-2006, 07:05 PM
TorontoSports

Best Rivalry: New York (Rangers) vs Philadelphia.

Worst Rivalry: Toronto vs Buffalo. From what I can see toronto fans don't even seem to care about buffalo win or lose, but buffalo thinks it is some kind of huge rivalry.

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 07:24 PM
tmurphblues

Fans fighting one another over a hockey game is moronic. These losers need to get a life. Seriously.

tmurphblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2006, 08:00 PM
krudmonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn View Post
La and SJ don't have a rivalry. SJ wins 98% of the meetings. It's a recurring nightmare from La's perspective and an easy win from SJ's
We can always make it one with lots of hype.

krudmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 04:15 PM
Tucker316*

Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*
Toronto/Montreal is NOT a made up rivalry. Go back and learn up on your hockey history buddy. Only a young buck would think that.

Talk all you want about Ottawa being the Leafs biggest rivals, but they dont win any big games against the leafs...they have no fans that can even match the fanbase TO has, and the building isnt nearly as rocking as when it's a Habs/TO matchup. The passion among the fans is what also makes a rivalry, and Leafs/Habs will forever have more of it then anything the sens can conjure up.
In a way I feel for sens fans..they want to latch onto something, and sooner or later they might be able to. Their younger fans are growing up as sens fans, but everyone else just root for the leafs or Habs anyways.

But yes, they have a good on ice rivalry among the players, but to say the Habs and Leafs dot have a rivalry is asinine.

Tucker316* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 04:20 PM
OvechkinDomination*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker316 View Post
Toronto/Montreal is NOT a made up rivalry. Go back and learn up on your hockey history buddy. Only a young buck would think that.

Talk all you want about Ottawa being the Leafs biggest rivals, but they dont win any big games against the leafs...they have no fans that can even match the fanbase TO has, and the building isnt nearly as rocking as when it's a Habs/TO matchup. The passion among the fans is what also makes a rivalry, and Leafs/Habs will forever have more of it then anything the sens can conjure up.
In a way I feel for sens fans..they want to latch onto something, and sooner or later they might be able to. Their younger fans are growing up as sens fans, but everyone else just root for the leafs or Habs anyways.

But yes, they have a good on ice rivalry among the players, but to say the Habs and Leafs dot have a rivalry is asinine.
Sorry man but Ottawa IS the Leafs biggest rivarly and there is alot more tension when both teams play, especially when you play the same team in the playoffs 4 out of the last 6 seasons.

OvechkinDomination* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Habsaku

Boston and Montreal have had a rivalry for a few decades now. It can get pretty intense as well.

Habsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Tucker316*

Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogilnykicksass View Post
Sorry man but Ottawa IS the Leafs biggest rivarly and there is alot more tension when both teams play, especially when you play the same team in the playoffs 4 out of the last 6 seasons.
I know they are, right now. That's not what I was questioning though. The guy basically claimed there is absolutely no heat to the Habs/Leafs anymore, which is a quite a bit false. But this sens/leafs rivalry could easily be supplanted if the leafs and habs meet up in the post season. In fact I dont doubt that at all.

Tucker316* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Namso

All-Time Best Rivalry is easy. Nothing comes close to Boston-Montreal.
Greatest NHL Rivalry, especially when both teams are good, that's why I'm looking forward to this season bc it seems like both teams are back on track.

Regional Best Rivalry: Rangers vs. Islanders
Alberta and Ontario might disagree, but no hate comes close to these two teams and the violence shows for it.

Current Best Rivalry: Tie btw Ontario and Alberta.

Previous Rivalries which were intense but just arent the same anymore:
Habs-Nordiques
Avs-Red Wings

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 11:19 PM
NassauIsles82*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku View Post
Boston and Montreal have had a rivalry for a few decades now. It can get pretty intense as well.
Underrated.

NassauIsles82* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 11:23 PM
Flyers12FROM21*

Send a message via AIM to Flyers12FROM21* Send a message via MSN to Flyers12FROM21*
Ok, first...you cant have one good team like detriot agaisnt one crap team like boston, in general, not that they are rivals

Detriot has Colorado...and...well...everyone else in the league

The Flyers have the Devils and Rangers

Montreal and Boston usually go at it...but sicne boston is horrible and Montreal is medeocre...yeah

Im not sure who the capitals have, im sure no one wants to go agaisnt ovechkin

Calgary and Vancouver could get goin...Calgary is a physical and dominating team..Vancouver...just sucks

Bascially...the pegnuins have no one because theyre horrible, the Islanders mgith have the rangers in a long shot, but agian...one is a crap and the other is medocre...and...idk...but Crap vs Good never works

Flyers12FROM21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 11:35 PM
NassauIsles82*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers12FROM21 View Post
Ok, first...you cant have one good team like detriot agaisnt one crap team like boston, in general, not that they are rivals

Detriot has Colorado...and...well...everyone else in the league

The Flyers have the Devils and Rangers

Montreal and Boston usually go at it...but sicne boston is horrible and Montreal is medeocre...yeah

Im not sure who the capitals have, im sure no one wants to go agaisnt ovechkin

Calgary and Vancouver could get goin...Calgary is a physical and dominating team..Vancouver...just sucks

Bascially...the pegnuins have no one because theyre horrible, the Islanders mgith have the rangers in a long shot, but agian...one is a crap and the other is medocre...and...idk...but Crap vs Good never works
Explain the Islanders ownage over the Devils all the time? You don't need two good teams, rivalries are made by many different things, for example- one team getting owned all the time(Yankees over Sox, for example), alot of physical playoff meetings, fans hating each other and players hating each other, that's all it takes. Media plays a big part as well and can help a rivalry(for the fan sake especially).

EDIT- Once real rivalries are made, their is no breaking them no matter what. I can go off and name hundreds of rivalries that are just as heated no matter what the standings are.

DUKE-UNC
Michigan-Ohio ST.

For example

Old
08-10-2006, 11:35 PM
crashlanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers12FROM21 View Post
NYI - NYR is much more of a rivalry for the fans than it is for the players. I'm sure it's great for their fans but, as a NJ fan, it does nothing for me.

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Tleve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post

IMO, the Bertuzzi incident killed the rivalry. It made it too real and made the teams gunshy, and more-so, put the whole thing in perspective. Flames are now officially the Nucks arch-nemesis.
I agree completely. Before and right after the incident there was a lot!! of hate but now it seems like the teams and fans ignore each other more than anything. I think there is lingering resentment there but not a full-blown rivalry. It was just such a horrible thing. As a Canucks fan I hate the Flames more than any other team although I also have a grudging respect for their team and the organization and I love the city of Calgary.

Last edited by Tleve: 08-11-2006 at 12:22 AM.
Tleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 12:26 AM
NassauIsles82*

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashlanding View Post
NYI - NYR is much more of a rivalry for the fans than it is for the players. I'm sure it's great for their fans but, as a NJ fan, it does nothing for me.

Huh? There is always a player fight or two during a Rag-Isles game, and the crowds are always that much more into it and louder. If that doesen't entertain you, than i can't understand how any Devil game can

Old
08-11-2006, 12:56 AM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku View Post
Agreed. MTL-TOR does exist but we haven't faced them in the playoffs in a long time so it's a bit on the backburner.

The worst rivalry has to be detroit and nashville; I don't think anybody cares except the preds.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote