HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Top 50: Brodin leads middle group in 2013 Spring prospect rankings

Old
03-27-2013, 04:35 PM
Henderson19

vCash: 500
The comments always crack me up. So much complaining when it's only a list...take it for what it's worth.

Personally, I'm very glad the HF staff takes the time to do these. It's always good for comparison purposes.

Henderson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:40 PM
Eple
It ain't easy being

I'm guessing they're hesitant to rank any prospect over 15 spots above their previous ranking, which would explain Brodin's low ranking.

In the end rankings have no effect in his actual play, which has been outstanding and that's all that matters.

Eple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:57 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Brodin should be higher but him and Klefbom have been neck and neck since they were both drafted. Both of these guys should end up being very good defencemen in the future, if they aren't already.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:01 PM
Elever
Hth

Can someone recommend me another prospect list similar to this one in terms of criteria?

I like that HF does a list but it seems to have a weird bias each season and I don't think it's on purpose because it comes from the writers simply having far more knowledge about certain team's prospects.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Speaking of Klefbom, how is he above guys playing in the NHL already? Like Smith, Despres, Saad and Palmieri?
Why single out Klefbom? He deserves to be ahead of Smith for sure and Despres and Palmieri, while in the NHL, haven't exactly made much of an impact. Saad>Klefbom though, there's no two ways around that. Klefbom has been more impressive over the past 2 seasons than Brandom Gormley and Nathan Beaulieu though, and these guys are also ranked ahead of Saad. So again, why single out Klefbom?

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:26 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
Bitter much? Actually Palmieri skates on the top line with Getzlaf and Perry quite often. But one spot on a questionable list at best has you all hot and bothered.

Not to mention they have nearly identical stats with the goal scoring in favor of Palmieri. He also dominated the AHL for 2.5 years. He's a proven commodity and you are *****ing about 1 spot. LOLOLOL
I'm *****ing about the one spot because they are right next to each other and very easy to compare, playing the same position on similarly excellent teams.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:26 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

This list is a joke. How is Trouba so low? Dumba should be where Trouba is, Brodin should be in the top 10 and Trouba should be where Brodin is. And how is Klefbom so high? He's missed an entire season due to injuries.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:31 PM
reffree

Quote:
So Jonas Brodin, leading rookies in ice time, currently playing on the top defensive pairing of a top-8 team in the NHL, is only one place in front of a guy who has barely even played this season?

Speaking of Klefbom, how is he above guys playing in the NHL already? Like Smith, Despres, Saad and Palmieri?

How is Dumba so far ahead of Trouba? How are half of these guys ahead of Trouba?

This list is such a head scratcher.
I don't understand that Klefbom-Brodin thing ... I know it's cool to put them neck to neck, but if they were 28 and 29 in the fall ranking how can they now be 21 and 22?

Playing 24 min a night on an NHL top paring for one and missing the year for the other and they have the same result? (moving up 7 spot) Funny to say the least.

reffree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:39 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffree View Post
I don't understand that Klefbom-Brodin thing ... I know it's cool to put them neck to neck, but if they were 28 and 29 in the fall ranking how can they now be 21 and 22?

Playing 24 min a night on an NHL top paring for one and missing the year for the other and they have the same result? (moving up 7 spot) Funny to say the least.
Agreed. I don't know how Klefbom jumped ahead of guys like Trouba.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:41 PM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
This list is a joke. How is Trouba so low? Dumba should be where Trouba is, Brodin should be in the top 10 and Trouba should be where Brodin is. And how is Klefbom so high? He's missed an entire season due to injuries.
He played 11 games and was arguably the best D in the league those games. I agree though, Brodin should be considerably higher than Klefbom right now.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:52 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
I don't agree with these rankings but they aren't basing this list just on this season.

Klefbom did play this year, and looked great. Or maybe you meant in total time so far in he's career?

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Bullrun

brodin ranked 21

as in...will play 21 yrs in nhl

Bullrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:55 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Congrats to him. Pretty impressive that this 24 year old is now a full-timer NHL player.

It is just insulting that this guy is listed over Brandon Saad who is a top 6 player at age 20. I mean, Brendan Smith was drafted in 2007, compared to 2011 for Saad and many of these other prospects. I really don't see any reason why he is a top 30 prospect other than unreasonable hype which should have already been defunked by now. He is an offensive defenseman who has 3 points in 22 games and plays bad defense...he is 24 years old. I just don't get it.
The kid should've been playing full-time in Detroit two years ago, but KH is lost. I understand you don't get the hype, especially looking at this year's stat-sheet , but he's gotten much better defensively and he's dominated some games, but he's not consistent enough. Only problem is I think Babcock is hurting the kids progress by emphasizing up-the-boards transition. When you watch him you see him over-think and constantly hesitating, which I think is because of Babcock. Happens to most of our other prospects too.

And to get this straight, I do believe he's ranked too high. He has all the tools to be a prolific offensive defenseman with a mean streak but I believe the Wings ruined his chances of bring "that guy" when they kept him stuck in Grand Rapids.

Last edited by The Nose: 03-27-2013 at 06:22 PM.
The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:56 PM
topchowda

Gotta wonder if they keep Klefbom and Brodin close for funs sake. Klefbom was one of the best defenseman on his SEL team while Brodin was one of the best on his NHL team yet they rise equally (Klefbom might have risen more in the ranking from fall)

Brodin should be higher. Probaly in the 1st 2nd or 3rd best d prospect range

Last edited by topchowda: 03-27-2013 at 08:11 PM.
topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Redden

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Gotta wonder if they keep Klefbom and Brodin close for funs sake. Klefbom was one of the best defenseman on his SEL team while Brodin was one of the best on his NHL team yet they rise equally (Klefbom might have risen more)

Brodin should be higher. Probaly in the 1st 2nd or 3rd best d prospect range
One of the best in the SEL*

Redden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Ice box hockey

After watching brodin there isn't one defensive prospect i would take over him. Kid should be way higher. Also trouba got snubbed bad, he should be close to top 10 overall prospects.

Ice box hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:49 PM
Man Bear Pig

Silfverberg should be higher IMO, and that's coming from a Leafs fan. He's a very impressive talent although he may never fully pan out, the talent is undeniable.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:04 PM
FightingIrish
Total Lak of Respek

Please stop posting lists.

FightingIrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:07 PM
PAZ

How is Trouba not higher after seeing this list.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:27 PM
starling

vCash: 50
Quote:
So Jonas Brodin, leading rookies in ice time, currently playing on the top defensive pairing of a top-8 team in the NHL, is only one place in front of a guy who has barely even played this season?
There are just too many good prospects out there. To name a few...
Wiercioch leading all rookie Defencemen in scoring.
Silfverberg playing on the first line in top-8 team in NHL, leading all rookies in shots, leading his team in goals and +/-.
Lehner playing starter on best GAA team in the NHL and having best Save% in the league since Anderson went down.
All below Brodin and Wiercioch not even on the list.

starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:36 PM
macco

U mad brodin?

macco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 09:47 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Brodin is at 20 while Granlund is (presumably) higher? Can a Wild fan tell me if that makes sense because it doesn't for me. The expectations for Granlund have been higher, sure, but Brodin's production and contribution should put him ahead in my opinion.
It doesn't make any sense. Granlund should be well below Brodin, who should be top-10. And the fact that Dumba is still this high is stupid too.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Can someone recommend me another prospect list similar to this one in terms of criteria?

I like that HF does a list but it seems to have a weird bias each season and I don't think it's on purpose because it comes from the writers simply having far more knowledge about certain team's prospects.
Here's another list (http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1426), along with the criteria for the ratings (http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1304).

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:47 AM
Sweech
Kane & The Dane

vCash: 5239
I still can't fathom Dumba over Trouba. Dumba must have taken a mammoth step forward defensively because he sure didn't get much better offensively.

If the NCAA is such a **** league why did they ever rate Schultz as high?

I'm honestly hoping they rank Reinhart over all these defensemen for the pure hilarity.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:00 AM
WILDTATE10

vCash: 50
Dumba sure is getting a lot of flack from people. Yea he struggled to start out the year but ever since he spent some time with the Wild and got sent back to the Red Deer he seems to have been playing great.

People don't seem to really care what he has done since then and only care about before

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote