HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Planning to build a new computer? Read Here first! #5

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-27-2013, 12:08 PM
  #476
nmain37*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
I am looking at building a computer probably around the high performance gaming enthusiast build. My question is with using most of those parts do I have to over clock I don't plan to. Also for around $1000 minus the gpu is that top of the line ?

nmain37* is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 01:43 PM
  #477
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 14,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmain37 View Post
I am looking at building a computer probably around the high performance gaming enthusiast build. My question is with using most of those parts do I have to over clock I don't plan to. Also for around $1000 minus the gpu is that top of the line ?
$1000 buys quite a lot of computer even including the video card. Not quite top of the line, but you can get pretty close as far as single card setups go.

For reference I usually spend about $1400 on a totally new build. That normally lasts me about 3 years before needing to upgrade something.

And overclocking is never required

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienDude View Post
Don't find it too loud?

Also looking into getting a GTX680 and the AMD promo is so much better than nvidias -_-
No, but I'd prefer my system be as cool as possible here in Arizona. Antec 1100 is one of the best all out performance based cases, really not much for silence anyway.

If you don't want to get a fan controller you could always get some of those fans that have switches built in to them and just disable the top fan. The Top fan doesn't do much for stock speed systems in my experience.

Far as the promo goes, sometimes people sell their promo codes cheaper than they are worth. Might have a look around for that


Last edited by SniperHF: 03-27-2013 at 01:48 PM.
SniperHF is online now  
Old
03-27-2013, 02:05 PM
  #478
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmain37 View Post
I am looking at building a computer probably around the high performance gaming enthusiast build. My question is with using most of those parts do I have to over clock I don't plan to. Also for around $1000 minus the gpu is that top of the line ?
Naw. You don't need to overclock.

If you do want to try the easiest ways are to get components (motherboards in particular) that have very easy Overclock tweek settings.

My Asus motherboard allows for overclocking just by hitting a button and it allows for different levels of overclocking on that 1 button.

LickTheEnvelope is online now  
Old
03-27-2013, 07:32 PM
  #479
nmain37*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
$1000 buys quite a lot of computer even including the video card. Not quite top of the line, but you can get pretty close as far as single card setups go.

For reference I usually spend about $1400 on a totally new build. That normally lasts me about 3 years before needing to upgrade something.

And overclocking is never required



No, but I'd prefer my system be as cool as possible here in Arizona. Antec 1100 is one of the best all out performance based cases, really not much for silence anyway.

If you don't want to get a fan controller you could always get some of those fans that have switches built in to them and just disable the top fan. The Top fan doesn't do much for stock speed systems in my experience.

Far as the promo goes, sometimes people sell their promo codes cheaper than they are worth. Might have a look around for that
Thank you for the replies gyys. So if you were to build a new computer for 1400 what parts are a must? What parts would you suggest. Only thing my mind is set on is fractal design refine xl case

nmain37* is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 07:34 PM
  #480
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 14,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmain37 View Post
Thank you for the replies gyys. So if you were to build a new computer for 1400 what parts are a must? What parts would you suggest. Only thing my mind is set on is fractal design refine xl case
Well there aren't too many *must* have parts. It's more about what you want to do with it.

So what do you want to do with it You mentioned gaming, anything else?

Do you already have a monitor? If so what kind?

SniperHF is online now  
Old
03-27-2013, 07:43 PM
  #481
nmain37*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Well there aren't too many *must* have parts. It's more about what you want to do with it.

So what do you want to do with it You mentioned gaming, anything else?

Do you already have a monitor? If so what kind?
No monitor but I want two cause that looks sweet. Also it's pretty much just gaming and browsing the net.

nmain37* is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 07:47 PM
  #482
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 14,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmain37 View Post
No monitor but I want two cause that looks sweet. Also it's pretty much just gaming and browsing the net.
What is your budget for a build excluding monitors?

SniperHF is online now  
Old
03-27-2013, 08:00 PM
  #483
nmain37*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
What is your budget for a build excluding monitors?
1400 max prefer 1200 range

nmain37* is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 08:45 PM
  #484
Benny Lava
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Anaheim
Country: Marshall Islands
Posts: 8,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmain37 View Post
1400 max prefer 1200 range
I'd go with the with the mainstream build in the first post and spend the extra $250 on a 7870 XT and an SSD. Edit: the $900-$1000 mainstream build. If you need an OS you can save the SSD for later.

Benny Lava is offline  
Old
03-27-2013, 09:47 PM
  #485
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 14,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Lava View Post
I'd go with the with the mainstream build in the first post and spend the extra $250 on a 7870 XT and an SSD. Edit: the $900-$1000 mainstream build. If you need an OS you can save the SSD for later.
Good as any

SniperHF is online now  
Old
03-28-2013, 12:39 AM
  #486
Franck
Insolent Upstart
 
Franck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 7,867
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
SSD will work with XP, but you lose a few key features. TRIM and AHCI support.

Well you can actually get AHCI with XP but it's more of a pain then its worth IMO. Especially if you run into problems.

TRIM helps keep your ssd running at peak performance by decreasing the number of writes.

Though I'd really suggest going to 7/8. Much better for SSD's and not to mention support for more memory.
Even without these features, it'll still be quite a lot faster than an old-fashioned 7200 RPM HDD, right?

I'm looking at the Corsair SSD Force Series GT drive right now, you haven't heard of any reliability issues or anything like that with Corsair drives?

Also, I figure I'll need to buy a SATA cable, what difference does "shrapnel" make?

My current PC is close to 5 years old now and has been running without any issues for that time and I have no issues with what I use it for, so I'm not to keen on switching to Windows 7/8 until I get forced to buy a new computer. Upgrading it beyond an SSD isn't really an option.

Franck is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 01:58 AM
  #487
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 14,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Even without these features, it'll still be quite a lot faster than an old-fashioned 7200 RPM HDD, right?
A lot.

Quote:
heard of any reliability issues or anything like that with Corsair drives?
Nope.

Quote:
Also, I figure I'll need to buy a SATA cable, what difference does "shrapnel" make?

If your system is that old does it have SATA 3? or only SATA 2? If it's only SATA 2 you might as well get a lower end SSD.

Not sure what shrapnel is. Any ole SATA 3 cable will work.

SniperHF is online now  
Old
03-28-2013, 02:13 AM
  #488
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,850
vCash: 500
I will confirm that SSD's as boot drives are glorious.

LickTheEnvelope is online now  
Old
03-28-2013, 03:13 AM
  #489
Franck
Insolent Upstart
 
Franck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 7,867
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
If your system is that old does it have SATA 3? or only SATA 2? If it's only SATA 2 you might as well get a lower end SSD.
I think it's only SATA 2. There would only be a $10-20 saving from picking a lower-end drive though. Figure I may as well buy the high-end drive and not have to worry about getting a newer, faster drive a year or two from now when I eventually replace this computer. There wouldn't be any compatibility issues would there? Just slightly lower speeds?

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Franck is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 10:54 AM
  #490
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 14,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
There wouldn't be any compatibility issues would there? Just slightly lower speeds?

Anyway, thanks for the help.
Nope, just the speed as you said. I'm actually doing the opposite right now. Running a SATA 2 drive on a SATA 3 motherboard. Still really fast.


EDIT: I know you said you were looking at the Corsair, but others might be interested anyway. Newegg has the Samsung 840 and 840 pro on sale with this promo code. $112 for the 128gb drive. Good stuff.

SA20MAR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147193
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147192


Last edited by SniperHF: 03-28-2013 at 11:13 AM.
SniperHF is online now  
Old
03-28-2013, 03:23 PM
  #491
nmain37*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Lava View Post
I'd go with the with the mainstream build in the first post and spend the extra $250 on a 7870 XT and an SSD. Edit: the $900-$1000 mainstream build. If you need an OS you can save the SSD for later.
Thanks for the reply button what doyou mean if I need an os save the ssd for later?

Also does amd videobcard work better with amd processors or intels?


Last edited by nmain37*: 03-28-2013 at 03:28 PM.
nmain37* is offline  
Old
03-28-2013, 04:18 PM
  #492
Benny Lava
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Anaheim
Country: Marshall Islands
Posts: 8,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmain37 View Post
Thanks for the reply button what doyou mean if I need an os save the ssd for later?

Also does amd videobcard work better with amd processors or intels?
If you don't have a copy of Win7 or 8 laying around you can buy it, but they cost $100+, so that'll take up most of what you would otherwise put toward an SSD. Of course, you could always use a free Linux distro or come by Windows by other means.

As far as the GPU/CPU thing goes, it really doesn't matter. If there is a difference it'll be negligible.

Benny Lava is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 11:00 AM
  #493
Puck
Ninja
 
Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Tahiti
Posts: 8,658
vCash: 500
Neither AMD or nVidia video cards are supposed to perform better on Intel or AMD mobos or processors. It's supposed to be platform neutral. Any performance differences should be based more on the quality of any parts you buy.

If you use on-board processor video, AMD video is better than Intel. Intel processor architecture is considered better than AMD (on strictly the processor part). Depending on what you do, your results may vary.

Puck is offline  
Old
03-29-2013, 07:47 PM
  #494
Zodiac
Registered User
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post

Also, sticking to the memory theme, how important is memory on a video card? GTX 680s for example only cost about $50-100 more for a jump from 2GB to 4GB.

I've looked elsewhere and from what I've seen on the regular RAM, you probably won't notice a difference and I get mixed thoughts about video card memory. I'm wondering how true most of that is.
the higher the screen resolution (or using a multi monitor setup), the more GPU ram it'll use. so if you can afford more than a regular 2gig gtx680, go for it. some games actually push up the the 2gig amount just @ 1080p ...some as high as 3gig at that resolution from what i hear.

i have an MSI gtx680 with 4gig on it but only game on one monitor @ 1080p ...but i wanted the headroom for possible future games and the possibility of maybe going SLI with it in the future as well. i also wanted the extra ram for modding games like Skyrim, Crysis 2, etc, ...which in the case of Skyrim you can easily top 3gig of vram at just 1080p. so if you can get more than 2gig on it, go for it ...it wont hurt and you'll be ready for just about anything.

btw, here's a new Unreal Engine 4 demo running real time on a GTX680 + Intel I7 CPU ...looks pretty good, imo.


and here's some benchmarks to compare different cards on some of the newer games out there ...

Bioshock Infinite
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...nchmark,6.html

Crysis 3
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...nchmark,7.html

Farcry 3
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...nchmark,6.html

Zodiac is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 05:19 PM
  #495
nmain37*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Alright here is the computer I plan on building:

Let me know what you guys think:

Fractal Design Define XL R2 FD-CA-DEF-XL-R2-BL Black Pearl Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case $139.99

ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $191.99

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K $226.99

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 $57.49

Corsair Neutron Series GTX CSSD-N240GBGTXB-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $219.99

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC ... $119.99

EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $479.99

Grand Total: $1,436.43

I might go with cheaper graphic card but my end goal is the EVGA.

I will also end up going with two SSD'S or a bigger one later on. Only thing that will take up memory is games as I don't download anything.

nmain37* is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 06:17 PM
  #496
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmain37 View Post
Alright here is the computer I plan on building:

Let me know what you guys think:

Fractal Design Define XL R2 FD-CA-DEF-XL-R2-BL Black Pearl Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case $139.99

ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $191.99

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K $226.99

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 $57.49

Corsair Neutron Series GTX CSSD-N240GBGTXB-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $219.99

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC ... $119.99

EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $479.99

Grand Total: $1,436.43

I might go with cheaper graphic card but my end goal is the EVGA.

I will also end up going with two SSD'S or a bigger one later on. Only thing that will take up memory is games as I don't download anything.
Looks good to me. Similar to my setup except a 3570k instead of a 3770k, less ram but a bigger SSD.

LickTheEnvelope is online now  
Old
03-30-2013, 07:00 PM
  #497
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again
 
Johnny Bravo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Game on
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmain37 View Post
Alright here is the computer I plan on building:

Let me know what you guys think:

Fractal Design Define XL R2 FD-CA-DEF-XL-R2-BL Black Pearl Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case $139.99

ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $191.99

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K $226.99

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 $57.49

Corsair Neutron Series GTX CSSD-N240GBGTXB-BK 2.5" 240GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $219.99

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC ... $119.99

EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card $479.99

Grand Total: $1,436.43

I might go with cheaper graphic card but my end goal is the EVGA.

I will also end up going with two SSD'S or a bigger one later on. Only thing that will take up memory is games as I don't download anything.
Go for the MSI 680 lightning. Fastest 680 on the market.

Johnny Bravo is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 07:30 PM
  #498
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,391
vCash: 500
However EVGA is also probably the one with the best warranty.

SolidSnakeUS is online now  
Old
03-30-2013, 08:07 PM
  #499
Zodiac
Registered User
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,803
vCash: 500
you could use something like http://www.shopbot.ca/ to look around at different prices of video cards, etc. i find it helpful anyway.

and the benchmarks i posted earlier (a few posts up) show that the GTX680, GTX670, and the AMD 7970 Ghz Edition are all around the same ballpark ...at least in those benchmarks.


that said, if you ever think that you might add another video card for a multi GPU setup down the road (ie, SLI) ...then i'd really recommend an Nvidia card. their SLI technology is better. no fanboy talk either.

Zodiac is offline  
Old
03-30-2013, 09:14 PM
  #500
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clovis, California
Country: United States
Posts: 12,199
vCash: 500
I have a question for people with SSD's. I know that the transfer speeds are fast, relative to platters, but does everyone shut off their computer at night, rather than put their desktop to sleep? I've been putting my desktop to sleep ever since Vista, and it only takes several seconds to wake up, a cold boot is a different story, but even there 8 is an improvement over 7, but I don't reboot that often, save updates (current uptime is over 13 days).

I guess the bottom line: Are the loading/transfer times improvements worth it?

A laptop I could totally understand the case for an SSD, but a desktop I've still not seeing all the benefits, relative to their cost/storage ratio.

guinness is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.