HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2013 Draft Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriede2 View Post
Well dang, I thought Nichushkin was primarily a center. Is it just me, or do a lot of players/prospects start out as centers but move to wing?

I'm with you on BPA...I was just thinking about how nice it would be if our BPA was a center. Should be an interesting draft, especially since the whole thing will be done in one day. I wonder how long the 1st round will take (as long as previous drafts? I kind of hope so, as I like the analysis of each pick).
It has always really been the case with centres. When kids are young, the best players are the centres, then some get moved to wing when the reach the CHL and then some more will get moved to the wing when the turn pro.

TV will basically ensure that the first round is very much the same as always at the draft. I never really understood why it was over more than 1 day in recent years. Every team has their lists and know what they are doing really, you can rattle through the later rounds pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
I just figured it would be something to look at seeing how strong the center position is this draft and how weak we are at center not only on the Blues roster but down the pipeline as well. We are stacked on wingers so what will drafting more wingers do for us? What happens if Jaskin and Rattie are both clearly NHL ready in 2-3 years and if we keep our roster the same as it is now, where do they fit in?
Putting yourself in a position where the best player available is a centre is certainly something we should consider. I was going on last year we should have moved up to get Grigorenko or Hertl, I think most of us wanted Hertl. We might have tried, not as easy as we sometimes like to imagine to make deals.

When it comes down to it, you always draft the best player available.

If Jaškin is ready at this point next year, then we can trade one of our established wingers to make space for him. Bringing in an ELC keeps costs down, and the winger we trade can either address a current need on the Blues, or we can trade him for a package of futures at address needs within out pipeline.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:45 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
- I still hold out hope for Berglund to become the #1C or at least as good/better than Backes (call them co-#1s if you need to). He's taking a step forward this season, and his ceiling is still there for him to claim.

- I'd like to see a better solution at center than Steen, but that's more because I like what he does as a winger better than as a center. But the Blues continue to have plenty of other options at wing. I'd hope they can find a young #3C with some upside, or a veteran #3C with Cup experience who is not falling off the back edge of his career yet.

- I don't think the draft will have the right timing to bring in a guy to fill that roster spot in the time frame where it matters enough to try and move up. Just take BPA and worry about making trades/signings later.

- I'm much more interested and concerned about finding Pietro's partner. I think Cole could be that guy, but to wait until he's really ready for it is to saddle that pairing with another year or two of suboptimal play. An upgrade at that position would do more to make the Blues tougher on the ice than any other move. And the Blues continue to have the pieces to make an attractive package in any number of ways, including roster wingers if need be. I still have strong expectations that Armstrong will find a trade partner at the deadline. (Although, with the shortened season, maybe a few extra teams will entertain delusions about getting back into the playoff pack than you'd normally see at the deadline.)

But as for the draft, I wouldn't worry about getting a center unless there is a specific player you want to go get....and I'd go get that guy at any position on the ice if your scouting points to it, regardless of current team needs. (Eller turned into a goalie when we needed one. Rundblad turned into a winger when we wanted one. Etc.)

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:06 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

vCash: 500
Any chance the Blues look at another legacy player in MacInnis?

The write-up from this site sounds pretty good and can be found HERE.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:16 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I was just reading that piece about MacInnis yesterday and thinking the Blues HAVE to have him on their radar. Of course, he might be snagged before the Blues pick. Looks like a 1st rounder. How could you not trust how that kid had been taught?

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:20 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Any chance the Blues look at another legacy player in MacInnis?

The write-up from this site sounds pretty good and can be found HERE.
With how we let Stastny slip through our fingers, I think we will be picking up every legacy/hometown possible, especially the promising ones.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:38 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I saw him play in high school a couple of times. I'd like to see him against quality competition. Obviously he was much better than everyone else on the ice, almost comical how much better. He wasn't a great skater(which isn't surprising seeing as he's a HUGE kid) but the poor HS kids had no chance to get the puck off him. I hope he makes it.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:01 AM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Blake Clarke might be the better local product eligible for the 2014 draft. 46 points in 64 games is second to only Connor McDavid for U-17 players in the OHL. Good size too.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:34 PM
STL fan in IA

Perhaps you guys already know this but MacInnis isn't draft eligible until next year.

I've only seen Ryan play once this season and it was hard to get a good read on him as the U-17 got demolished by the Des Moines Bucs 10-1 that game. I didn't see anything of note from Ryan that game but even he had the following to say: “It’s actually a little easier playing against guys your own age,” admitted MacInnis. “It can be harder playing against the older guys [in the USHL]. They are older, stronger and they know more. It can be really hard to play against them, but that helps when we play against our own age group.”

I find it hard to evaluate players on the U-17 team when they play USHL games as a typical USHL team is going to be mostly 17-19 yr olds with a couple 20 ur olds as well and the U-17 team is pretty much all 16 yr olds, some of which turn 17 before the season ends. It'll be easier to evaluate Ryan next season when he's on the U-18 team. You might not think it but that one year makes a very big difference.

As for taking him because he's a legacy/local product, there's both good and bad to that. In hindsight, folks will always complain about not taking Stastny but folks also complain about the Blues reaching to draft Phil McRae. IMO, you draft the best player available and if in the 2014 draft that ends up being Ryan MacInnis, so be it.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:13 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Agreed. I know that some around here are big on them, but I've never been a fan of legacy picks. How often is it that the best player available is a guy who happens to have legacy connections to your organization? I would venture that it's a very rare occurance.

I remember when being extremely disappointed we drafted McRae. I had Dalpe, Stepan, and Adam as my top 3 available centers at that point with McRae pegged as a 3rd/4th round talent (buried behind another 10 centers in addition to the three I mentioned above).

If the Blues never draft another legacy in my lifetime, I will not be disappointed.

EastonBlues22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:04 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I agree about legacy players in general, but I really, really, really trust Al MacInnis when it comes to teching his kid all the intangibles that go into supporting a player's skillset for an eventual NHL career. I have a feeling that when the Blues draft next year, someone will have already taken the kid so it'll be moot. Kids, of course, aren't their parents, and if the Blues drafted him there'd be extra pressure from the fanbase, which is the downside.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

I feel like picking up Fredrik Gauthier from Rimouski is much more reasonable and realistic, I really like this kid.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:14 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yandle Bars View Post
I feel like picking up Fredrik Gauthier from Rimouski is much more reasonable and realistic, I really like this kid.
Great pick in NHL 13.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Bluesnatic27

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Perhaps you guys already know this but MacInnis isn't draft eligible until next year.

I've only seen Ryan play once this season and it was hard to get a good read on him as the U-17 got demolished by the Des Moines Bucs 10-1 that game. I didn't see anything of note from Ryan that game but even he had the following to say: “It’s actually a little easier playing against guys your own age,” admitted MacInnis. “It can be harder playing against the older guys [in the USHL]. They are older, stronger and they know more. It can be really hard to play against them, but that helps when we play against our own age group.”

I find it hard to evaluate players on the U-17 team when they play USHL games as a typical USHL team is going to be mostly 17-19 yr olds with a couple 20 ur olds as well and the U-17 team is pretty much all 16 yr olds, some of which turn 17 before the season ends. It'll be easier to evaluate Ryan next season when he's on the U-18 team. You might not think it but that one year makes a very big difference.

As for taking him because he's a legacy/local product, there's both good and bad to that. In hindsight, folks will always complain about not taking Stastny but folks also complain about the Blues reaching to draft Phil McRae. IMO, you draft the best player available and if in the 2014 draft that ends up being Ryan MacInnis, so be it.
My really good friend has played with Ryan for most of his life, and the only thing he could say about Ryan is that, while he is really good, he just looks like another Phil McRae. He plays a similar power-forward style and he does posses a scoring touch. But his speed and stick-handling just isn't something that warrants him a top pick to be wasted on him. Although the idea of having another MacInnis on the team sounds awesome, I don't want to see the Blues use another second rounder on a guy who already exists in the system.

However, he could prove me wrong. I'm just basing my analysis on my friends take, so he could have gotten a lot better.

Bluesnatic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
I've played against Ryan MacInnis, the kid is the real deal.

Good size, nice shot, should be a solid power forward.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:24 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Speaking of St. Louis Amateur Hockey, the NTDP U17 Evaluation Camp 1997's list came out today and there are FIVE Missourians on the list including four midget minor teammates who won U16 Nationals (with the most prominent being Tkachuk's kid who has already committed to Notre Dame).

That's damn impressive and Missouri ranks only one behind New York and Michigan for most players invited from one state.

All the ex-Blues that stayed in STL after their careers have paid huge dividends for amateur hockey in the state. Great to see.

TheOrganist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
Speaking of St. Louis Amateur Hockey, the NTDP U17 Evaluation Camp 1997's list came out today and there are FIVE Missourians on the list including four midget minor teammates who won U16 Nationals (with the most prominent being Tkachuk's kid who has already committed to Notre Dame).

That's damn impressive and Missouri ranks only one behind New York and Michigan for most players invited from one state.

All the ex-Blues that stayed in STL after their careers have paid huge dividends for amateur hockey in the state. Great to see.
It's pretty cool when you see former Blues players staying in the area. Says a lot about the area in general.

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:29 AM
h22prelude93

Ryan Hartman is a guy who I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet. I suppose it's because most draft sites have him listed as a winger, but he's actually been playing center for his ohl team all season. I think he could be an excellent late first round sleeper pick for the Blues. He looked really sharp in the World Junior Championships and was the only other American who participated besides Seth Jones who is 2013 draft eligible. He plays a physical in your face game and projects to be a two-way power forward. He's also settled into the center role quite well and is good at faceoffs. Did I mention David Backes is his role model?

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/show/id/10440
http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey...hockey,wp15134
"I like to look at David Backes [of the St. Louis Blues]. He's a captain. He's a leader. He might be a few inches taller than me. I'm not too worried about height. I don't have a guy under 6-foot on my dad's side. My uncle is 6-5, another uncle is 6-6, my dad is 6-2. My dad didn't grow until college — late bloomers in our family."

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:03 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
The guy I'm looking forward to right now is Conner Bleackley in 2014. Hard telling if he'll hit his ceiling, but it looks to me that it could be pretty high.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:47 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
Ryan Hartman is a guy who I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet. I suppose it's because most draft sites have him listed as a winger, but he's actually been playing center for his ohl team all season. I think he could be an excellent late first round sleeper pick for the Blues. He looked really sharp in the World Junior Championships and was the only other American who participated besides Seth Jones who is 2013 draft eligible. He plays a physical in your face game and projects to be a two-way power forward. He's also settled into the center role quite well and is good at faceoffs. Did I mention David Backes is his role model?

"I like to look at David Backes [of the St. Louis Blues]. He's a captain. He's a leader. He might be a few inches taller than me. I'm not too worried about height. I don't have a guy under 6-foot on my dad's side. My uncle is 6-5, another uncle is 6-6, my dad is 6-2. My dad didn't grow until college — late bloomers in our family."
Him and Gauthier have been my picks.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:35 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Him and Gauthier have been my picks.
You really can't have enough of those power forward types. The Backes', Callahan's, and Kesler's of the world. I also like the fact that Hartman will likely grow a few more inches in College possibly topping out around 6'2-6'3ish. He could very well be looked over by a lot of teams. He also fits the exact mold of a "Hitch" type player. Gritty, defensively oriented with quite a bit of offensive upside. I really hope we nab him.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post

Just a really strong draft, so many very good players in the top 40 or so. That is really interesting about his height though. If he does end up 6'2 in a year or two then he will project as a C at NHL level, right now it is more likely on the wing in the NHL.

I said before, last year I had 2 or 3 guys I really wanted us to get. 2011 it was 4 or 5. There are about a dozen or so I'd be really happy for us to pick this year!

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:20 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

I have had J C Lipon on my radar for a couple years. I thought he was a junior free agent this year, but J C Lipon has one more draft year left to my understanding. He projects as a mid round draft pick, but may scoot up higher. Hopefully, the Blues may pick him up in the middle rounds. He just seems like the blue collar player with a touch of skill the Blues could use. He has grown in leaps and bounds the past couple years in size and using his skill. He currently leads the WHL in playoff points. Tough and gritty NHL playoff type performer.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ome-NHLer.html

This is a good read on him.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:11 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Unless Ottawa goes on some crazy run, the Blues will pick 45th or 46th, depending on whether the Senators beat Boston tomorrow. Any loss, Blues pick 45th. Boston needs a win to win the division and get the 2d seed.

Old
05-03-2013, 03:26 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

We're doing a mock draft over in the Habs section and I got the Blues.

With the 47th pick, I selected Marko Dano.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yandle Bars View Post
Not a chance he falls to the 49th pick overall... none.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote