HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ramifications of false news from Aaron Ward? (Not a thread about the trade of Iginla)

Old
03-28-2013, 02:19 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
No one will really care in a week.
Likely. I hope so for his sake. Hoping Boston fans don't harbor eternal animosity towards him - part of it is "not shooting the messenger"

My reason for starting the thread, though, is that anything I saw cited Aaron ward as the source for it being a done deal. His name was attached to every link I saw.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:20 AM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
It seems like Ward nailed the original deal, but didn't know the trade was reviewed when Feaster learned that Iginla wanted to go to the Penguins of Pittsburgh rather than the Bruins of Boston. So he was left out of the loop when the new trade was made.

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

I really hope he doesn't have his role reduced, he's one of the only color hockey analysts I can stand. Mistakes happen, and he was clearly nervous about calling it official.

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

it happens
Ward has broken plenty of stories
in all likelihood the teams agreed to the trade, but Iginla put an end to it

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:21 AM
Derp Kassian

Child abuse charges from Bruins fans.

Derp Kassian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:29 AM
Schenn Bros Pizza*
All-Star

Seriously who cares. People make mistakes.

Schenn Bros Pizza* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:29 AM
Hale The Villain

Almost everyone was reporting Iginla to the Bruins, we even had a package (Khokhlachev, Bartkowski, 1st) that was being suggested. All Ward did was confirm it from a Bruins source.

Hard to blame the guy, he's the one who takes most of the heat but Mackenzie, Dreger and many others are just as guilty.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:32 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Almost everyone was reporting Iginla to the Bruins, we even had a package (Khokhlachev, Bartkowski, 1st) that was being suggested. All Ward did was confirm it from a Bruins source.

Hard to blame the guy, he's the one who takes most of the heat but Mackenzie, Dreger and many others are just as guilty.
Weren't guys like Mackenzie citing Ward?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:33 AM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

One more thing to add, I highly doubt he was the first member of the media to announce that the deal was all done up, he was just the person that all of us were watching.

Samwise Gagner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:33 AM
Sad Panda

Wardo usually does a good job, and tonight he learned a hard lesson about being an insider. We'll all move on from this, no big deal. I found it entertaining.

Sad Panda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:34 AM
ssdlpf

ward was told by multiple sources that the deal was done and he reported it, that's all. i don't know why people are saying he lost credibility when he was just taking the information that was given to him. and as was said before in this thread, it's entirely possible that the deal WAS done, but iginla was the one who, at last second, backed out and chose to go to pittsburgh.

ssdlpf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:35 AM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

I think this is what is wrong with the current media way of things, what with Twitter and the like. So many people trying to be the first to break a story that they will only go and confirm with two sources before running with it.

Why can't we just be patient and hear it from the horse's mouth like the old days. Personally I don't believe anything until I hear it from the actual person/team/organization the story is about. Saves getting worked up over nothing most of the time.

TheStinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:35 AM
Eastside

Meh, this is the nature of the business now. Its a race to break the news first. Isn't the first time this has happened, won't be the last. I still like and respect Ward, he's a good analyst.

Eastside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:40 AM
CanadianPantherFan

Race to break the news first. Former players who are in broadcasting have big ego's for most part, and want some of that spotlight in some form or other which no longer exists as retired players now. This botched situation hopefully will open the eyes of those ex-players turned analyst's.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:41 AM
Adityase

Send a message via AIM to Adityase
If Kirk Herbstreit, an OSU alum, could announce Les Miles to Michigan, which apparently caused him to re-up at LSU, and still continue to work at ESPN... I don't think anything will happen.

And as a Michigan fan, I don't blame Herbstreit. And I wouldn't blame Ward (it may seem I'm biased since Ward was a Wolverine, but I'm using a defense of a Buckeye as the justification).

I just think the media is put in a potentially awkward position. Maybe Feaster, through sources, wanted Ward (or whomever) to promote the Boston deal to increase his bargaining position with the Pens. We can argue the value of the two deals... but it seems clear that an actual draft pick is better than a conditional one, and that was the crux of the deal regardless of the return for Brendan Morrow. Feaster can only evaluate the market he's bargaining in.

Adityase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:42 AM
metalan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler View Post
He got a deal wrong. It happens.

No one knew Iginla was a Penguin until Feaster said it.
That's not true. Pitthockey22 guaranteed Iginla was a Pen an hour before it happened.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

If Rob Rossi still can have a job after his countless ****-ups then so will Ward.

He'll be fine.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post

Exactly. There's more than enough egg to go around right now.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:43 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Nothing should happen. He is still a great guy on TV.

Ya he got something wrong, but he was being informed of a major deal. We are human, we all make mistakes.

We were the ones who believed it when there were other sources denying that it was done.

I found that tweet that Boston fan sent to him disgusting.

Sergei Shirokov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:45 AM
Rangediddy

vCash: 567
The deal was probably agreed upon by Feaster and the Bruins, so word got out that Iggy was going to Boston. But when Feaster took the deal to Iggy to waive his NTC, Iggy told him to make a deal with Pittsburgh.

Probably wanted to break a story before Dregs and McKenzie and took a chance on a likely, but not confirmed, report. It was a gamble and he lost.

I also think Bobby Mac was right when he said that Calgary could have been using Boston to up the return on Iggy... but by the looks of it, that didn't really do much other than maybe take away the re-sign condition on the draft pick, if there was any.

Rangediddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:46 AM
Del Preston

vCash: 147

Del Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:49 AM
FakeKidPoker*

Time for TSN to lose broadcasting rights?

Was their boneheaded disaster reporting with Iginla tonight the final straw?

I mean for years the product has just been deteriorating to the point where it is almost getting unwatchable...

Now their coverage really seems to be at an all time low... they have the worst on air crew in probably any sports production in North America with guys like James Duthie, Dave Hodge and Craig Button and the constant gimmicks are just a joke.

I know they are a Canadian network so it is to be expected a little bit..but the favoritism to Canadian players is just so silly...Jonathan Toews the 3rd best player in the league? lol... Though I can't wait to tune in next week for their 30 min panel on Team Canada 2018.

It's honestly become so bad I think Sportsnet should be get the national rights again.. they've learned after the whole boston pizza party thing.

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:50 AM
Art of Sedinery

LOL. Screw up 1 trade call and...

TSN has the best crew in Canada. Better panel, better insiders, better broadcast crews. If SNET didn't own regional brodcasts, I've never watch it.

SNET never had national rights.

Art of Sedinery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:51 AM
Lawzy

Have you ever tried drinking cement?

Lawzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:52 AM
chilly34

vCash: 920
One insider made a false report, so all of the sudden they should lose broadcasting rights?

chilly34 is offline   Reply With Quote