HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Kingston Frontenacs 2012-2013 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2012, 08:25 AM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
damn, that's too bad. 1 less team to cheer for.

Old
12-22-2012, 06:03 PM
zaluty

vCash: 500
Very unofficial but hearing Kingston might make a player signing not via the trade route. Like I said just a rumour but I have heard it a few times, maybe some one blowing smoke

Old
01-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
Took my son to the January 1st game against the 67's.

There was 2 fights. In the 3rd he asked when they would fight again. He likes the fighting.

He is 4.

Old
01-02-2013, 11:01 PM
H44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Took my son to the January 1st game against the 67's.

There was 2 fights. In the 3rd he asked when they would fight again. He likes the fighting.

He is 4.

Old
01-06-2013, 06:10 PM
phaedrusDH

it was nice to see the Fronts beat Oshawa's 1-2-2 defensive trap on Friday. i thought they adapted their game very well - lot's of chips through the neutral zone for dump ins and passes to players in motion, strong forechecking and strong pinches from the defence to maintain the offensive zone once they gained it. the forwards played a very good defensive game too, covering for pinching defensemen and picking up the trailers.

i see Fitzmorris was traded today. a victim of the LW depth chart i guess.

Old
01-15-2013, 04:34 PM
BigBuck

Kingston has been in a bit of a defensive funk lately and now Mikko Vainonen has been suspended for 10 games for head shot. It didn't look like it was that bad of a hit but he got 5 and a game so Branch has to support his refs and give him 10 games wow. . Dupuy is playing with 9 fights and you can see guys trying to get him to fight so he will be suspended as well.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:25 AM
MisterDB

hopefully the OHL site will get the video up later this week of the hit, it was a nasty elbow to the head, Simmonds who received the hit is reportedly going to miss 4-5 games.

Old
01-18-2013, 02:12 PM
mapleleaf979

If anyone has a link to the Sam Bennett vs Dan Desousa Fight, Id appreciate it. Two ex-team-mates from last year, very interesting. If anyone has a link, please post it. Thanks.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:08 PM
MisterDB

I am blaming the loss on a blatantly stupid management decision and a porous defense. Who in their right minds brings in a kid (Peressini) that has not faced OHL caliber shooters, hasn't practiced with the team, has played in only 15 games in the OJHL and is the backup goalie, and puts them in a pressure cooker in Oshawa.

STUPID STUPID STUPID

It isn't like the Fronts don't have 2 healthy goalies.

I could see the kid starting if the Fronts had brought him up, practiced with the team and eased him into a game with a not so power packed offense.

This is an example of how not to develop or evaluate a goalie, more convinced then ever that the Fronts management have no concept in goalie development.

This will be a bit brutal but if Gilmour is stating the kid is the future, let Furlong go and bring him in as a back up to Morrison and let him get some OHL development under his belt.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:49 AM
BigBuck

I like the move to play the kid and see what he's got. I think they realized they were going to lose no matter who was in nets so why not let the kid play and see where he is at. That is how you start to develop goalies and bring them along . I love the move.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:13 AM
MisterDB

So why play the games, oh we are going to lose anyways so lets just bring in a kid who will get bombed, nice confidence builder. The Fronts should just mail the two points in if this is the attitude. Knock knock, who's there... Peterbough, 5 games off last playoff spot right behind the Fronts.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:21 AM
NHL Fanatic

I have no problem with the Fronts putting Peressini is net, but I agree as well, Oshawa may not have been the best first game for the youngster. Allow your young goalies to have confidence coming in, making them feel like they belong in the league. If they lose against a weaker team its understandable but he has had any OHL action prior, you have to take all things into account.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:23 AM
BigBuck

I'm not sure if you've been watching the Frontenacs play recently but they got smoked last weekend so they bring in Peressini for a game. They acquired him in a trade and he has been playing well in Newmarket so they decided to evaluate him in game action. I thought he played ok and now the goalie coach can go over game film and give him some stuff to work on that is how you develop goalies. I'm sure they would like to make the playoffs in the 2nd year of their rebuild but at the end of the dayit is not the most important thing.

Old
01-26-2013, 02:31 PM
BigBuck

Jean Dupuy got in his 11th fight last night one of those he was instigated upon so 10th fight, does that mean he is the 1st player to get to 10 and does he get the automatic 2 games suspension now or after his next fight? It's kind of a stupid rule as he has been close to the limit and guys were trying him to see if he would fight when you could see he really didn't want to.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:50 PM
MisterDB

Pretty quite on here for the Fronts. Maybe because they just lost their 12 th game in a row. They habe the worst PK in the OHL 20th and took far too many penalties tonight against Missy and paid for it. Missy 3 PP goals and a shorthanded EN. Final 4-1. The Fronts were out shot 37 to 17 so it wasn't close. They have lost 3 SO games in this time but have also been blown away twice by the Bulls both 8-2 scores. Quine since joining the bulls has 11 pts against the Fronts in 2 games.

The Petes trail the fronts by only 4 pts for the last playoff spot.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:09 PM
NHL Fanatic

Its ideal for a young team to struggle. This team has some exceptional young talent and as they add to the group next year hopefully big things to come for this team next year. Really strong core of 96's, expecting a big summer from those guys.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:41 PM
BigBuck

That's kind of what I've been saying all year the 92's ,93's,94's are not that strong on this team. The 95's and 96's show a lot of promise but it is going to take time because they are young. The Fronts had early success because of the 96's but you can't rely on them for a full season because it is a long season. If they get into the playoffs fine but I don't think it's the end of the world if they don't. Kingston has a big road trip coming up because of the women's curling at the k-roc Center hope they get out of this funk soon.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:51 AM
MisterDB

It was stated by the club that their primart / main objective was to make the playoff this year so for the franchise it is a big deal if they miss them, credibility and financially.

This isn't as young a team as eveyone thinks, it is a balanced team age wise, maybe inexperienced but after 51 games that goes out the window. Agree that the older guys just arn't carrying the load but if they can't then what is in store for next year? Older guys that aren't performing now, some will be gone, then the core 96's, and more rookies then what? They rreally need goaltending next year so some a big hole to fill. The team defensive play is terrible. They haven't improved at all this year from the beginning of the year. They are on pace for 290 ga same as last year. Call me cynical but there is something wrong somewhere in the organization. Does Gill need his own people?

The Fronts have a pretty well balanced age group this year. let's see what transpires next year
OA - 3
19 yr - 4
18 yr - 7
17 yr - 5
16 yr - 4

Old
02-12-2013, 01:47 PM
phaedrusDH

i tend to lean more towards BigBuck's POV when it comes to team development. i think progress has been made organizationally to improve the developmental aspects of the team. i still have faith in Gilmour & Gill, anyway.

along with goaltending, my big concern is the absence of a young stay-at-home defender.

some quick notes from Sunday's game, which was my first in about a month:

- McKeown's defensive game is really rounding out. he seems to be adjusting well to the strength/speed of OHL caliber play.
- Jenkins with a timely goal - is it just me or does he have a knack for that?
- Kujawinski was a spectator on quite a few plays tonight. pretty disappointing for a guy in his draft year.
- it's nice to know that Povo should be around for a while yet...the more i watch him play, the more i like what i see.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:20 AM
BigBuck

Pretty quiet here as Kingston heads into the playoffs tonight in Barrie. What can we expect to see from the Fronts in this series? I think Gill will have them playing hard every game and if they can play 5 on 5 and stay out of the penalty box they could be a tough out and might win a couple of games.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:26 PM
zaluty

They are in tough for sure but the expierence will be great for the younger guys. Next year they will be that much stronger and battled tested. Go Fronts

Old
03-24-2013, 12:17 AM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Bad defense and questionable goaltending have Kingston down 2-0 in the series. Granted, nobody gave them a real shot at beating Barrie. But more structure in the defensive zone and more clutch goaltending, and this might have been a series.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:46 AM
H44

Congrats to the Fronts on a good season - with a solid core of young players the future should be bright.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:53 AM
MisterDB

Kingston met it's goal this year by making it to the playoffs, just by the way and were promplt swept away in 4 with a last game performance that was extremely dissappoint as they never showed up. They came out of the gates at the start of the year pretty good then did the typical Kingston thing, fell flat on their butts. 12 losses in a row, a GF and a GA differential of -56, the worse PP and PK in the OHL both sitting 20th, finishing under .500 at 441 a brutal team D, plus a couple of vets who were expected to have big seasons dissappeared isn't what I call a good year. I guess the only thing really positive was the offensive play of a few young rookies who carried the team but were absolutly brutal defensivly. The Front have a long road to haul and expect more of the same next year. There are some huge holes and huge issues to address, it remains to be seen if the GM can build a team and if the coaching staff can actually get the job done.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:26 AM
BigBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDB View Post
Kingston met it's goal this year by making it to the playoffs, just by the way and were promplt swept away in 4 with a last game performance that was extremely dissappoint as they never showed up. They came out of the gates at the start of the year pretty good then did the typical Kingston thing, fell flat on their butts. 12 losses in a row, a GF and a GA differential of -56, the worse PP and PK in the OHL both sitting 20th, finishing under .500 at 441 a brutal team D, plus a couple of vets who were expected to have big seasons dissappeared isn't what I call a good year. I guess the only thing really positive was the offensive play of a few young rookies who carried the team but were absolutly brutal defensivly. The Front have a long road to haul and expect more of the same next year. There are some huge holes and huge issues to address, it remains to be seen if the GM can build a team and if the coaching staff can actually get the job done.
Kingston only had a couple of vets return 92-Alcock played ok, 93s-Greenaway and Moffat did ok, 94s-Jenkins was concussed early in the year,Dupuy played ok(hurt knee for a stretch) and Steele were the only returning vets and only 2nd year on the OHL for 4 of 6. I don't think you can count the only returning 95s Kujawinski and Hutchinson as veterans.Everybody else was new to the team,their goal differential was -102 last year with a better goalie so I see them heading in the right direction.

Closed Thread