HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL talk Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 06:53 AM
BrimFullofAsham45

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
Win 13 in a row..... bring in 3 rentals. Chemistry breaker??
This. The expectations for the Pens are going to rise too high and hopefully they will crumble under it.

I don't think its all that bad a deal anyway. It sucks for Flames fans because Iginla should have been traded years ago, if it all, and I'd hate settling for that return. But a first, albeit a late first, is still a decent return when you are negotiating against yourself.

This does set the bar for a possible Briere trade so Hobbit better get his ass healthy. The deadline is fast approaching!

Old
03-28-2013, 06:58 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkFlyerFan View Post
Maybe Boston becomes desperate to acquire Briere? Unlikely but I can dream.
If he is traded, the price just went up at least a little bit. He needs to be healthy though, and the concussion will complicate things. Along with Briere's no-move clause. However, Briere still could fetch a 1st round pick.

Anyways, that's two trade targets that chose the Penguins over the Bruins. Boston is obviously trying to do big things, so that bodes well for the Flyers.

Last edited by GKJ: 03-28-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old
03-28-2013, 07:45 AM

The Iginla trade really doesn't bother us that much. We'll not play them in the play-offs and surely he can't re-sign there? They're scary stacked right now and if they go on to win the cup it'll just be the exclamation mark on the worst season ever.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:11 AM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

I'm hoping Paul Holmgren is personally nursing Brière back to good health to get him to Boston before the TDL. Chiarelli is hopefully upset about losing out on Iginla and ready to deal. How about Brière and Coburn for Khokhlachev, Krug, Svedberg and the Boston 1st?

That was indeed an underwhelming return for Calgary. Were I a fan, I'd be planning a response for Feaster in keeping with their flammable team name. How can you let the face of a franchise go for marginal prospects and what will almost certainly be a late 1st? Was it Iginla who forced the trade to the Penguins, thereby driving down the return?

Old
03-28-2013, 08:12 AM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I'm hoping Paul Holmgren is personally nursing Brière back to good health to get him to Boston before the TDL. Chiarelli is hopefully upset about losing out on Iginla and ready to deal. How about Brière and Coburn for Khokhlachev, Krug, Svedberg and the Boston 1st?

That was indeed an underwhelming return for Calgary. Were I a fan, I'd be planning a response for Feaster in keeping with their flammable team name. How can you let the face of a franchise go for marginal prospects and what will almost certainly be a late 1st? Was it Iginla who forced the trade to the Penguins, thereby driving down the return?
You gotta think Iginla had some say in it. That return is horrible, especially for a guy of Iginla's ilk.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:14 AM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:

From what I gather, though Boston had the better offer, Iginla chose Pittsburgh. I guess Shero stood his ground and Feaster negotiated against himself.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:14 AM
Hollywood Couturier

I assume Iginla had a NTC/NMC, he did what Gagne did. Said he wanted to go to the Penguins and there only.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
03-28-2013, 08:25 AM
TheIceman26
The Mased God

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Go to the Pens board and look at the thread that's called ''Flames fans jumping ship''. Their bandwagon fanbase is just getting bigger. I have no respect for fans that do that. I understand wanting to see Iginla win a cup, but to totally change the team you root for? That's almost as sickening as the Flyer fans who converted to Kings fans.
At least they admit they're bandwagon fans.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:44 AM
SuchySays

wait, they added a 7million dollar contract and still have 4 million in cap space?

Old
03-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
wait, they added a 7million dollar contract and still have 4 million in cap space?
Cap hits are calculated on a daily basis. They're only on the hook for the rest of the season's cap hit divided by days.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:47 AM
SuchySays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Cap hits are calculated on a daily basis. They're only on the hook for the rest of the season's cap hit divided by days.
thanks

Old
03-28-2013, 09:30 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Source: Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger

Not looking good for Phoenix.
I wanna see a team in Seattle. It makes the most sense geographically and from what I understand, that is a great sports town.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:38 AM
The Couturier Effect

If we were to trade Briere to Boston, would they buy him out at the end of the year? I don't think they would want his $6.5mil cap hit when they need to sign Rask. Horton and Ference are both UFAs as well. According to CapGeek, the Bruins will only have a little over $6mil in cap space.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Source: Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger

Not looking good for Phoenix.
It has to be Seattle. With the new conferences next year the East would be getting yet another team while the west would lose one. That just can't happen. Although Quebec looks good right now, it just doesn't make sense does it?

Old
03-28-2013, 10:32 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I wanna see a team in Seattle. It makes the most sense geographically and from what I understand, that is a great sports town.
So do I, and you are correct.

I feel awful at the thought of taking another fanbase' club (this goes for the neo-Sonics as well) but Seattle is not undeserving.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:34 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
It has to be Seattle. With the new conferences next year the East would be getting yet another team while the west would lose one. That just can't happen. Although Quebec looks good right now, it just doesn't make sense does it?
Detroit is going to be so pissed when they get sent back to the West after they put a team in Quebec City.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:40 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Detroit is going to be so pissed when they get sent back to the West after they put a team in Quebec City.
If they could put a team in Seattle and Quebec City, and keep Phoenix where it is and move Detroit back to the West, it would sort itself out pretty well.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:45 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
If they could put a team in Seattle and Quebec City, and keep Phoenix where it is and move Detroit back to the West, it would sort itself out pretty well.
Yeah I know, it's just that Detroit has *****ed and moaned for years about being moved to the West in the first place because of the time zone. I think they'll move Phoenix to Seattle and expand in Kansas City and Quebec City. One of Detroit of Columbus will have to move back to the West in order to keep the balance. I could see the league protecting an O6 team and telling Columbus that it's their turn to have long plane rides and **** start times.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Yeah I know, it's just that Detroit has *****ed and moaned for years about being moved to the West in the first place because of the time zone. I think they'll move Phoenix to Seattle and expand in Kansas City and Quebec City. One of Detroit of Columbus will have to move back to the West in order to keep the balance. I could see the league protecting an O6 team and telling Columbus that it's their turn to have long plane rides and **** start times.
KC has been having trouble getting ownership group together

Paying a high expansion fee wont help matters ,, They will get a relocated team if they ever get a team

Honestly the NHL should sell the Yotes at discount to KC buyers (That will entice them to put together group getting NHL team for cheap in that wonderful arena)

Then charge Seattle and QC absolutly absurd amounts of expansion fees

Still wish the NHL would rebuild relationship with Les Alexander and get team in Houston but Alexander gave up on NHL team after the Oilers deal fell thru and he got denied last round of expansion

Ideal world for NHL expansion to Hou/Sea and Yotes move to KC

Would even out East/West

Old
03-28-2013, 11:31 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
KC has been having trouble getting ownership group together

Paying a high expansion fee wont help matters ,, They will get a relocated team if they ever get a team

Honestly the NHL should sell the Yotes at discount to KC buyers (That will entice them to put together group getting NHL team for cheap in that wonderful arena)

Then charge Seattle and QC absolutly absurd amounts of expansion fees

Still wish the NHL would rebuild relationship with Les Alexander and get team in Houston but Alexander gave up on NHL team after the Oilers deal fell thru and he got denied last round of expansion

Ideal world for NHL expansion to Hou/Sea and Yotes move to KC

Would even out East/West
Quite honestly, I'm actually not even in favor of expansion. There are only so many markets in North America that are able to support an NHL franchise. Relocation is much more of a realistic option for some of the struggling teams, and I think the league will be fine with 30 teams if they're in the right spots.

I threw KC out there because the NHL has seem hellbent on getting a team there for a while now. It's just another step in expansion to non-traditional markets. If they're struggling to get ownership together now, what happens if they start to lose money for a prolonged stretch? It would be exactly like Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, etc. You're absolutely correct.

I don't really see Houston as a viable option. Dallas is a much bigger sports market, and they've only had sporadic success, and that was when Hitchcock was taking the team deep in the playoffs. Other than that stretch, they just haven't had the support to be successful.

Until the league just comes to the realization that hockey is niche sport, they'll continue with this cycle of massive revenue sharing to support franchises that are slowly bleeding to death. The only southern expansion teams that I would say have been successful are Carolina and Nashville. Carolina has more to do with being the only professional sports team in town, and Nashville has generally just taken to hockey. That's the one real win in Bettman's southern expansion plan.

Last edited by flyershockey: 03-28-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old
03-28-2013, 11:40 AM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
From what I gather, though Boston had the better offer, Iginla chose Pittsburgh. I guess Shero stood his ground and Feaster negotiated against himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier
I assume Iginla had a NTC/NMC, he did what Gagne did. Said he wanted to go to the Penguins and there only.
With this almost certainly as what played out yesterday (or before), I'd offer that Feaster should have impressed on Iginla the pain of dealing him from the franchise for which he (Iginla) has meant the world, and that such a pittance of a return wouldn't justify it to the Flames fanbase. Feaster should have thanked Shero for his offer, but it was insufficient to receive the heart and soul of the Flames.

Doing Iginla a favour was not the most important issue. If a significant return was not offered (as it clearly wasn't here), then don't do the deal.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
With this almost certainly as what played out yesterday (or before), I'd offer that Feaster should have impressed on Iginla the pain of dealing him from the franchise for which he (Iginla) has meant the world, and that such a pittance of a return wouldn't justify it to the Flames fanbase. Feaster should have thanked Shero for his offer, but it was insufficient to receive the heart and soul of the Flames.

Doing Iginla a favour was not the most important issue. If a significant return was not offered (as it clearly wasn't here), then don't do the deal.
How is letting him walk for nothing at the end of the year better for the flames long-term?

Old
03-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

vCash: 12000
Wow, one lob toss question after another at this press conference.

Jarome, did you kill the Boston deal at the very last minute and essentially force the organization to deal you for a lesser package?

Old
03-28-2013, 12:03 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
How is letting him walk for nothing at the end of the year better for the flames long-term?
That's not (to me, at least) an automatic assumption. The Flames could continue to try to resign him. It also lays down a harder-line negotiating stance with Shero rather than (as others have said) negotiating against yourself. Finally, there is the PR matter of how much you value a cornerstone of a franchise. Do you see a significant improvement to the Flames from what they received, even for the 1st round pick?

As well, consider Iginla as the first domino. After trading him for a pittance, what do you think Feaster's bargaining position is when discussing Bouwmeester, Kiprusoff, Cammalleri or others with other franchises?

Old
03-28-2013, 12:08 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKurri'soupkitchen View Post
Wow, one lob toss question after another at this press conference.

Jarome, did you kill the Boston deal at the very last minute and essentially force the organization to deal you for a lesser package?
Can you post some questions and his answers for those unable to watch/listen? I would love to read some of the transcript.

Closed Thread