HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NY Mets/Yankees & Baseball Discussion Thread

Old
03-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
Not to sound to James Earl Jones but Baseball, like all things in life, is cyclical. Believe it or not there have been times when the Mets owned this town.

The perfect example of the young Yankee fan called Francessa a few weeks back. This call made Francessa, arguably the biggest Yankee fan on the radio, choke. This is what he said;

"The Yankees can start to solve their problems very easily, all they have to do is to develop the next Derek Jeter in their farm system and bring him up in the next two years"

The caller was dead serious.
Well in actuality we have the potential torch bearer in Robinson Cano... now every one is different as Jeter was no Mattingly and Mattingly was no Reggie. Some are Flashy and others are quiet but with everyone hurt all eyes will be on Robinson Cano to step up.

Is he up for the challenge remains to be seen but stranger things have happened in baseball. Robinson has matured a lot and we can hope he steps up.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Not to sound to James Earl Jones but Baseball, like all things in life, is cyclical. Believe it or not there have been times when the Mets owned this town.

The perfect example of the young Yankee fan called Francessa a few weeks back. This call made Francessa, arguably the biggest Yankee fan on the radio, choke. This is what he said;

"The Yankees can start to solve their problems very easily, all they have to do is to develop the next Derek Jeter in their farm system and bring him up in the next two years"

The caller was dead serious.
I may be a younger Yankee fan but I am in no way delusional.

I listen to the fan every day while I am at work (except the past week or so... hate college basketball and that's all they talk about right now). I hear all the callers and at least half of them are complete numbskulls. Did you hear the argument a couple weeks ago where Yankee fans were calling up trying to put Derek Jeter AHEAD of guys like Mickey Mantle and Babe Ruth? Times like that, I am embarrassed to be associated with that same group of fans.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:28 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Well in actuality we have the potential torch bearer in Robinson Cano... now every one is different as Jeter was no Mattingly and Mattingly was no Reggie. Some are Flashy and others are quiet but with everyone hurt all eyes will be on Robinson Cano to step up.

Is he up for the challenge remains to be seen but stranger things have happened in baseball. Robinson has matured a lot and we can hope he steps up.
Everything you said is true but you left out something kinda important. Robinson Cano needs to actually be a Yankee beyond this year. If he leaves, the Yankees will be as bad as the Isles have been in recent years. The status as "league doormat" probably won't last nearly as long but losing a player like that on a team that already has/will be losing a ton more players over the next year or two would be catastrophic.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:32 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
I may be a younger Yankee fan but I am in no way delusional.

I listen to the fan every day while I am at work (except the past week or so... hate college basketball and that's all they talk about right now). I hear all the callers and at least half of them are complete numbskulls. Did you hear the argument a couple weeks ago where Yankee fans were calling up trying to put Derek Jeter AHEAD of guys like Mickey Mantle and Babe Ruth? Times like that, I am embarrassed to be associated with that same group of fans.
I listen to WFAN often and there so many idiotic callers it's insane. I find myself embarrassed for them it's so bad at times.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
I listen to WFAN often and there so many idiotic callers it's insane. I find myself embarrassed for them it's so bad at times.
And then everyone calls Mike a **** {Mod Edit} (I mean... he kinda is), but can you blame him? He's a lot nicer to those idiots than I would be if I were in his position.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 03-27-2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Mod Edit
Old
03-27-2013, 03:38 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
And then everyone calls Mike a dick (I mean... he kinda is), but can you blame him? He's a lot nicer to those idiots than I would be if I were in his position.
Well, Fatcessa is an idiot too...Saying Cano shouldn't be the 3 hitter for the past 2 years. You bat your best hitter #3, period.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:39 PM
Bunk Moreland

This kills me everytime was listening to it on the ride home from the game that afternoon... I thought he was going to have a heart attack on the air

Old
03-27-2013, 03:44 PM
Bunk Moreland

I want to go to opening day already have tickets to the Islanders game in Jersey that night.. I was hoping the ticket prices would be lower cause right now they're around $60 on stubhub or $50 through the team I might just try and scalp a ticket that morning.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Well, Fatcessa is an idiot too...Saying Cano shouldn't be the 3 hitter for the past 2 years. You bat your best hitter #3, period.
Oh he says his share of idiotic things himself no doubt. But what he says can at least be argued in a few different directions. At least a thing like Cano batting 3rd (I agree with you by the way) is something that could be put up for debate. Jeter mentioned in the same sentence with Mantle, Ruth or Joe D? That's just flat out silly.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:42 AM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post

Here is the thing that I think younger Yankee fans will have a hard time digesting.

Jeter, Williams, Rivera etc. these were lasting byproducts of the G. Steinbrenner pre luxury tax era.

With that said the Yankees have a great brand that, as long as management doesn't screw up, should serve them well.

IMO the Yankees will always be strong but not dominant and years missing the playoffs will become more common than many are used to.

In other words going forward the Yankees will be just a little more ordinary.

But hey its better than being a Mets fan! Believe me I know..........Oh how I know.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Jeter, Williams, Rivera etc. these were lasting byproducts of the G. Steinbrenner pre luxury tax era.
Nah, they were products of the Stick Michael era. Jeters, Williams, Rivera, Posada, Pettite. Steinbrenner's cash merely added depth to an amazing core.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:09 AM
PJGooch

Count me among the minority of Yankee fans that's looking forward to rooting for an actual flawed baseball team rather than another patchwork all-star collection. Plus all the bandwagon fans jumping ship is a nice bonus.

I grew up going to games where Mike Pagliarulo was at 3B, Wayne Tolleson was at short, Dave LaPoint was on the mound, and Mel Hall and Jesse Barfield were in the outfield -- and I loved it. I can handle -- gasp! -- the thought of a potential 83-win season. It'll be nice to be an underdog for the first time in a while. Isn't that the essence of sports?

PJGooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
Count me among the minority of Yankee fans that's looking forward to rooting for an actual flawed baseball team rather than another patchwork all-star collection. Plus all the bandwagon fans jumping ship is a nice bonus.

I grew up going to games where Mike Pagliarulo was at 3B, Wayne Tolleson was at short, Dave LaPoint was on the mound, and Mel Hall and Jesse Barfield were in the outfield -- and I loved it. I can handle -- gasp! -- the thought of a potential 83-win season. It'll be nice to be an underdog for the first time in a while. Isn't that the essence of sports?
I am going to go completely the other way on this one.

I was born in 1983 so the first teams I actually paid attention to were in the late 80's/early 90's. Those teams were horrible. Mel Hall... Alvaro Espinoza... Kevin Maas... Matt Nokes... Claudell Washington. Granted, I was still a young kid but I HAVE seen the Yankees suck in my lifetime. It has been 20 years though.

While I guess I understand you in a sense of rooting for an underdog, I do that enough with the Islanders. It's nice to have a winning baseball team when your hockey team is such ****. So no, I never got sick of winning with the Yankees. It kinda softened the blow of what the Isles would do to me year after year.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:51 AM
PJGooch

Quote:

I was born in 1983 so the first teams I actually paid attention to were in the late 80's/early 90's. Those teams were horrible. Mel Hall... Alvaro Espinoza... Kevin Maas... Matt Nokes... Claudell Washington. Granted, I was still a young kid but I HAVE seen the Yankees suck in my lifetime. It has been 20 years though.

While I guess I understand you in a sense of rooting for an underdog, I do that enough with the Islanders. It's nice to have a winning baseball team when your hockey team is such ****. So no, I never got sick of winning with the Yankees. It kinda softened the blow of what the Isles would do to me year after year.
That's fine. But to me the wins are a lot more enjoyable when you have to crawl through **** to get them. From 1996 to 2000, every one of those championships was amazing. I've never been more of a Yankee fan than when they lost in 2001.

Then they changed their philosophy from "Let's build a winning team" to "We better not ever lose a game, OR ELSE." Sucked the soul out of it for me.

I remember going to a game where Greg Cadaret was the starter, and that was actually a positive compared to the rest of the trash they had.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGooch View Post
That's fine. But to me the wins are a lot more enjoyable when you have to crawl through **** to get them. From 1996 to 2000, every one of those championships was amazing. I've never been more of a Yankee fan than when they lost in 2001.

Then they changed their philosophy from "Let's build a winning team" to "We better not ever lose a game, OR ELSE." Sucked the soul out of it for me.

I remember going to a game where Greg Cadaret was the starter, and that was actually a positive compared to the rest of the trash they had.
I do agree with you that it would be more enjoyable if they hadn't built an All-Star team every year. I couldn't even imagine what it would be like if the Isles ever won anything. One thing I do know... it would be 100x better than any feeling I've ever had when the Yankees won. So I really can't argue that point.

Something to add... and I can't believe I am saying this but maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have a year or two where the team misses the playoffs. What happened in the playoffs last year was embarrassing. I went to every home playoff game and the crowds were horrendous. Game 5 against Baltimore... first pitch the stadium was half empty!! It filled up as the game went on but it was never completely full. The fans have obviously become complacent. "ALDS? HAH! Call me when the World Series starts." To me, THAT is what sucks the fun out of it. Maybe if they suck for a couple years the stadium will be full when they reach the playoffs again.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:29 AM
PJGooch

Quote:
I do agree with you that it would be more enjoyable if they hadn't built an All-Star team every year. I couldn't even imagine what it would be like if the Isles ever won anything. One thing I do know... it would be 100x better than any feeling I've ever had when the Yankees won. So I really can't argue that point.

Something to add... and I can't believe I am saying this but maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have a year or two where the team misses the playoffs. What happened in the playoffs last year was embarrassing. I went to every home playoff game and the crowds were horrendous. Game 5 against Baltimore... first pitch the stadium was half empty!! It filled up as the game went on but it was never completely full. The fans have obviously become complacent. "ALDS? HAH! Call me when the World Series starts." To me, THAT is what sucks the fun out of it. Maybe if they suck for a couple years the stadium will be full when they reach the playoffs again.
We're definitely on the same page here. I was at Game 1 vs. Detroit, when Jeter got hurt. Friend of mine had tickets out in the bleachers. I swear, I've been to June games in the bleachers in the old Stadium that were 50 times more raucous than this ALCS GAME was. Outside of whatever Bleacher Creatures were there, nobody gave a crap. I think half the people around us were tourists. What a joke.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:55 AM
lorwood

Quote:

As an old Met fan I will say you hit the nail on the head.

1969 The year of the miracle. I was in 5th grade living in Queens. The whole city it seemed was glued. Most of the games were still played in the daytime and the transistor radio was in its hey day. Every radio was tuned in. As a Catholic school kid everyday was a new lesson in strict but for these few days the sisters were signing out TV's from the AV department so the class could watch the games when there was not enough televisions classes were doubling up. When Cleon Jones squeezed the ball off of Davey Johnsons bat mass hysteria broke out throughout NY, NJ, LI.

1973 from last to first in a few short weeks. You gotta believe! Although the Mets lost September and October were still riveting.

1986 Shea Stadium games 6 and 7 the old girl literally sways up and down, back and forth. I never felt anything like it, part excitement part fear that the stadium was going to fall down. "The Mets win The Mets win!" Bob Murphy

There is something very sweet about winning after long droughts.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:08 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Oh he says his share of idiotic things himself no doubt. But what he says can at least be argued in a few different directions. At least a thing like Cano batting 3rd (I agree with you by the way) is something that could be put up for debate. Jeter mentioned in the same sentence with Mantle, Ruth or Joe D? That's just flat out silly.
Yea it is and you forgot Lou Gehrig who is very underrated imo. He was an RBI machine and he hit behind Babe Ruth, which is mind blowing.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Bunk Moreland

Johan Santana has re-injured his shoulder another tear of his anterior capsule and will probably have season ending surgery.

Well that sucks.. There goes the World Series.

https://twitter.com/AdamRubinESPN/st...08171352289280

Old
03-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Johan Santana has re-injured his shoulder another tear of his anterior capsule and will probably have season ending surgery.

Well that sucks! I picked him as a pitcher in one of my Fantasy leagues in the late rounds.

03-28-2013, 07:43 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
Well that sucks! I picked him as a pitcher in one of my Fantasy leagues in the late rounds.
That's a rookie mistake lol, you should have picked Matt Harvey in the later rounds if anything.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:

At least we'll always have the 1st of June.

0815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:38 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Here is the thing that I think younger Yankee fans will have a hard time digesting.

With that said the Yankees have a great brand that, as long as management doesn't screw up, should serve them well.

IMO the Yankees will always be strong but not dominant and years missing the playoffs will become more common than many are used to.

In other words going forward the Yankees will be just a little more ordinary.

But hey its better than being a Mets fan! Believe me I know..........Oh how I know.
Best thing to happen to the Yankees was when Steinbrenner was banned for a few years...Gene Michael and his scouting department rebuilt that farm from head to toe.

04-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Bunk Moreland

The Mets are world series bound!!!

Old
04-02-2013, 03:12 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:

Dude you forgot...Pat Kelly,Ken Phelps,Steve Balboni,Jesse Barfield,Danny Tartabull,Steve Howe...and "the anchor" of the staff.... Andy Hawkins (Whos no hitter i watched in amazement as he lost it.)

The only things i miss about those days are the affordable ticket prices...and our announce crew on WPIX.

DaMick is offline   Reply With Quote