HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Miller to TB

Old
03-28-2013, 08:18 AM
dbieon12
Stamkos HOF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
Miller would be a good pickup if we could get him for cheap. He could mentor Lindback while splitting time with him, allowing Lindy to grow and be ready for full fledged #1 in two years, hopefully with Vasilevski waiting in the wings.
Why not get a real goaltending coach and keep Garon at a fraction of the cap hit? Then use the extra cap space to sign a defenseman and resign some of the Syracuse players (most contracts expire after next season).

Old
03-28-2013, 08:28 AM
TurboBrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbieon12 View Post
Why not get a real goaltending coach and keep Garon at a fraction of the cap hit? Then use the extra cap space to sign a defenseman and resign some of the Syracuse players (most contracts expire after next season).
+1. We've played the goalie roulette enough and the end result is that guys like Dan Ellis and Mike Smith were better before and after they played in Tampa.

TurboBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:40 AM
CC321

If we win against NJ Fri., I could see us picking up Khabibulin as a rental to finish out this season. He's 40 years old and an UFA after this season, but still playing well, .941 S%. He and Garon can compete this season, the winner gets re-signed to split time with Lindback next season.

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:48 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post
If we win against NJ Fri., I could see us picking up Khabibulin as a rental to finish out this season. He's 40 years old and an UFA after this season, but still playing well, .941 S%. He and Garon can compete this season, the winner gets re-signed to split time with Lindback next season.
Uhh pass

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
I'm just gonna go back 15 seconds in time and pretend that I never saw this posted.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Stammertime91
Keep on keepin' on!

Quote:
I hope your name isnt Steve Yzerman.

Stammertime91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Uhh pass
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
I'm just gonna go back 15 seconds in time and pretend that I never saw this posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stammertime91 View Post
I hope your name isnt Steve Yzerman.

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:40 AM
RussianGuyovich
Hella Ennui

vCash: 742
Send a message via MSN to RussianGuyovich
i actually like that we, as a collective group, can sit here and and argue about which one of our blue chip prospects is, like, the blue-chippiest of them all.

instead of the "hey which one of our prospects doesn't huff unadulterated cat turds the most" discussions of years past

RussianGuyovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:44 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior4321 View Post
How good can Ryan Miller be if he's on the trade block (and this isn't even like Vancouver's cap situation)? They'd trust their backup goaltender over this "top 10 goaltender"? Not saying he hasn't been a great goaltender in the past, but if he's not good enough for Buffalo, why is he good enough for Tampa? I find it surprising that you guys have given up on Lindback. He's developing quite nicely, did you guys expect a guy who had around 40 games under his belt to play like a Vezina goaltender right away?
It's not that he isn't good.

Having Ryan Miller in net hurt your rebuild.. he's bound to steal games.

The return would be great, they are anyway multiple pieces and years away from contending. Miller may not be at his current form then. Trade would speed up the rebuild.

There are reports he wants out.. we all know about Lucic incident.. Has one year left in his contract after this season and may not want to re-sign.

Anyway to the trade. As I mentioned here earlier, the price would be high for division rival. I don't want to blow up the farm for Miller who has one year left on his current contract.

If Miller was the missing piece that this team needs to contend.. I'd go for it. And/or if he's willing to re-sign.

If it's Connolly and scraps, hell yeah I'd do it.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:01 AM
BluePlaid
Rookie User

I can't help but wonder if SY is still trying to get Janus back over here.

BluePlaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Allaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post
I am completely blown away by the insanity in this thread.

Are you guy seriously sitting there with a straight face while saying that you wouldn't trade Brett Connelly for Ryan Miller? Really?? Brett freakin Connelly!

This shouldn't even be a thought. Do you guys realize what we just went through the past 10, let me repeat that, TEN years since Khaby?

Any remotely sain individual who is not a member of the Connelly family doesn't even think twice about this.
I'm thinking the exact same thing. Quite funny how people want to give up nothing !! Goaltending is a very valuable asset, without it a good team can look very bad. Right Steve.

Allaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbieon12 View Post
This is the same half-assed, close to the vest approach we've taken the past 10 years. Time to make a real move.

As far as the cap, if we want to get cap room then we should worry about dumping crap contracts like Malone, Vinny, Brewer and Carle.

Mr Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:33 AM
lost puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
What do you think we'd have to give up to get Miller though?
Hard to say, I'm not the best at guessing what it takes. But when I look at our pool of prospects playing the forward positions the thought of giving up Connelly doesn't really scare me. Is it ideal? Not really, always a gamble you are giving away the next great of the game, but there is also the chance that next year Connelly does down with a serious concussion or some other injury. Never can tell. Point for me is do we want a higher chance of winning now, or do we want to stay pat and see if one of our current goalies are up to the challenge

lost puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:44 AM
RussianGuyovich
Hella Ennui

why would miller fetch more than iginla or morrow? iggy's a 500 goal scorer, and he's going to a team looking to win a cup this year.

miller should fetch a conditional first rounder and Danick Gauthier +

Old
03-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Allaboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianGuyovich View Post
why would miller fetch more than iginla or morrow? iggy's a 500 goal scorer, and he's going to a team looking to win a cup this year.

Miller would fetch more because he's not a rental player. He has a contract for next year. Also Morrow is well past his best before date, and Iginla is on the back 9. Also goalies are like pitchers in baseball, the price is MUCH higher than regular players, these guys can win games for teams.
Also do a count on our potential (next year) forwards,

St.Louis
Purcell
Malone
Croombeen
Pouliot
Palat
Panik
Conacher
Connolly
Labrie
JT Brown
Tyrell
Killorn

Not to mention more talent arriving very soon. Seems to me if we can parlay some of this into goaltending and defense DO IT. My guess is Minor deals will be done at the tradeline for Pouliot and Croombeen at the very least. Can't see how these guys fit with all our youth coming up, and might as well get something for them as opposed to letting them walk in the off season.

Allaboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:22 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
i actually like that we, as a collective group, can sit here and and argue about which one of our blue chip prospects is, like, the blue-chippiest of them all.

instead of the "hey which one of our prospects doesn't huff unadulterated cat turds the most" discussions of years past
so true

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:26 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:

They'll tell you that only difference is that Miller has one more measly year on his contract.

I'm with you. Both are under performing this year, which means the price tag should really not be too extravagant. Especially if you consider we'd also be doing Buffalo a favour by saving them 6.25 mil in cap as well as giving them pieces for a player that may leave them/us in a year for nothing anyway.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Cigar City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaboard View Post
Miller would fetch more because he's not a rental player. He has a contract for next year. Also Morrow is well past his best before date, and Iginla is on the back 9. Also goalies are like pitchers in baseball, the price is MUCH higher than regular players, these guys can win games for teams.

St.Louis
Purcell
Malone
Croombeen
Pouliot
Palat
Panik
Conacher
Connolly
Labrie
JT Brown
Tyrell
Killorn

Not to mention more talent arriving very soon. Seems to me if we can parlay some of this into goaltending and defense DO IT. My guess is Minor deals will be done at the tradeline for Pouliot and Croombeen at the very least. Can't see how these guys fit with all our youth coming up, and might as well get something for them as opposed to letting them walk in the off season.
SAY IT AINT SO!!!!!!

Cigar City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:33 AM
RussianGuyovich
Hella Ennui

Quote:
i agree with goalies, but let's look at past goalie trades that are comps:

Quote:
Panthers traded Luongo, along with Lukas Krajicek and a 6th round pick to the Canucks for Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan Allen and a serviceable G in Alex Auld.
Quote:
Ducks trade J.S. Giguere to the Leafs for a declining Vesa Toskala and Jason Blake a 2nd / 3rd line Winger.
Quote:
Islanders trade Dwayne Roloson to the TB Lightning on Jan 1, 2011 for Ty Wishart.
Quote:
Preds trade Vokoun for a 1st round, pick 9th overall (Josh Bailey) a 2nd round pick, 58th overall (Nick Spaling) and another 2nd round pick, 40th overall (Aaron Ness) to the Panthers
These are all starting goaltenders, and not a single one garnered a highly-drafted blue-chip prospect. Todd Bertuzzi was probably the best talent to go back in a starting goaltender trade, and that was because he was coming off of the Steve Moore incident and needed out of Vancouver.

I just don't think that goalies ever receive fair market value due to their predilection to be a product of a system moreso than any other position in a team sport.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:34 AM
lost puck

Quote:

St.Louis
Purcell
Malone
Croombeen
Pouliot
Palat
Panik
Conacher
Connolly
Labrie
JT Brown
Tyrell
Killorn

Exactly. When I think about the future of our forwards I get excited...then I realize at some point we will have to give them NHL contracts. We can't keep them all at that point, might as well get value out of them now.

lost puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:36 AM
RussianGuyovich
Hella Ennui

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost puck View Post
Exactly. When I think about the future of our forwards I get excited...then I realize at some point we will have to give them NHL contracts. We can't keep them all at that point, might as well get value out of them now.
So why wouldn't you trade them for a, imo, much more pertinent position? Such as hrmmmmmm, a defenseman?

Old
03-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
The other reason why goalies don't get a lot is that the difference between a good (say .920) and average (say .910) isn't that huge, and there are only 30 spots for them. Right now the market is flooded with goaltenders... Miller shouldn't garner a huge return.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:52 AM
HoseEmDown

Like I said before let's wait till the offseason to think about this deal. If we did we could make it a conditional pick, 2014 1st if he resigns or we make the SCF otherwise a 2nd. With us taking that contract they'd also have to take Brewer to make the caphit sting less. So Brewer+1st/2nd+prospect (Milan). If they wanted Connolly I'd ask for Myers instead of Miller.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:53 AM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Like I said before let's wait till the offseason to think about this deal. If we did we could make it a conditional pick, 2014 1st if he resigns or we make the SCF otherwise a 2nd. With us taking that contract they'd also have to take Brewer to make the caphit sting less. So Brewer+1st/2nd+prospect (Milan). If they wanted Connolly I'd ask for Myers instead of Miller.
Copious amounts of no.

MattM92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
We have our twin towers on defense now, and Myers has regressed a ton since his rookie campaign. I don't think he's bad, but I wouldn't want to give a top prospect for him.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote