HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ray Shero late-night Q&A on all things Iginla

Old
03-28-2013, 03:23 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Ray Shero late-night Q&A on all things Iginla

...because the man deserves his own thread, dammit.

Link: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=662512

Excerpt:

Quote:
I just talked to him after the fact. That was it. He agreed to waive and come to Pittsburgh. The trade conference call was done with the league. Everything was final. That was it. I talked to him a while ago after it. He said he was excited to come to Pittsburgh. He said he would help anyway he could, didnít care about role or who he was playing with. He wants to help the team win and be a part of it. It was a big change after 16 years in Calgary so Iím sure it will be quite emotional. We have a month sort through the emotions, find some roles for guys, players accepting of those and playing good hockey.

The team on paper doesnít mean too much. We have to do it on the ice. Chemistry for a hockey team is very important.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:40 AM
sniugneP

Shero rocks!!!

sniugneP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:30 AM
Adams27

This reminds me of when Ray Bourque went to the Avs all over again.

Adams27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:34 AM
sniugneP

Quote:
The team on paper doesn’t mean too much. We have to do it on the ice. Chemistry for a hockey team is very important.
That quote by Shero is absolutely correct. The pressure is on Bylsma right now.

sniugneP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:30 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
100%. This secure's Sheros job for the forseeable future and puts Disco squarely on the hot-seat this playoff. He has EVERYTHING he needs to build a dominant team at this point. D depth out the yin-yang, good goalies, 4 elite forwards and some great complimentary offense guys. And a very good shut-down C. He has everything. If we don't make the EC Finals and take it to 7 games at a minimum you can start preparations to welcome a new coach this summer.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:33 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

What a **** GM, can we trade Ray for a 1st now?

Where the haters at?

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:38 AM
Dupree13

That's one of the most disingenuous interviews I've ever seen, and it proves how this process was not a legitimate auction and Shero knew it. Like really, 2 middling prospects and a 1st was his absolute best offer and he had no idea of what Boston was offering?

I think Shero has know for a while now that this was a pre-ordained result. In that light, a lot of what's happened since the summer makes a lot more sense.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:54 AM
SirBrad

I'm still buzzing about this. Unfortunately I have a super busy day ahead of me and won't be able to catch up on all the stories/chatter today.

This was a good read though. Thanks for pulling this out for it's own post.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:58 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
That's one of the most disingenuous interviews I've ever seen, and it proves how this process was not a legitimate auction and Shero knew it. Like really, 2 middling prospects and a 1st was his absolute best offer and he had no idea of what Boston was offering?

I think Shero has know for a while now that this was a pre-ordained result. In that light, a lot of what's happened since the summer makes a lot more sense.
What are you talking about

Do you honestly believe Shero knew in the summer, before the lockout and everything that happened, that Iginla was coming to Pittsburgh at the deadline?

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:01 AM
ThatGuy

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to ThatGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
What are you talking about

Do you honestly believe Shero knew in the summer, before the lockout and everything that happened, that Iginla was coming to Pittsburgh at the deadline?
From bad GM to liar

ThatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:03 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Best of all Rossi got totally scooped, and owned after teh fact. Kasan was the guy Shero decided to talk to last night, and AFAICT the only guy. Maybe NHL Network will choose its contacts more carefully next time.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:07 AM
Dupree13

Why not? All it would take would be for Iginla to signal, through some or other channel, that he would be inclined to seek a trade to Pittsburgh. You could bank on it too because Iggy held all the power over the process.

You really believe that Hanowski, D'agostino and a 1st was Shero's final offer if it was really a true bidding process?

Plus, the Morrow for Morrow swap, which I think a lot of us found a little perplexing, makes a lot more sense if Shero knew he was going to be getting Iggy dirt cheap.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:12 AM
nwpensfan

Quote:

What do you want to hear from him? That Iggy secretly told him where he wanted to go?

Maybe he was already prepared to not land Iginla and was OK with that and just made his best offer. He called Feaster's bluff pure and simple.

nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:14 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Or Feaster called Ray late last night and told him Iggy wants to play for Pittsburgh, at that point Ray knew he was in the driver seat and took advantage

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:15 AM
nTsplnk*

What now Shero haters? Where you guys at?

That's what I thought. It will only take a few months and people will call for his head again and he'll shut everyone up again with another great trade.

IN RAY WE TRUST

nTsplnk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:26 AM
Dupree13

Guys maybe my phrasing gave the wrong impression. Not hating. Shero did nothing wrong and I'm fine with what he said. But I don't believe his account of what all happened.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Why not? All it would take would be for Iginla to signal, through some or other channel, that he would be inclined to seek a trade to Pittsburgh. You could bank on it too because Iggy held all the power over the process.

You really believe that Hanowski, D'agostino and a 1st was Shero's final offer if it was really a true bidding process?

Plus, the Morrow for Morrow swap, which I think a lot of us found a little perplexing, makes a lot more sense if Shero knew he was going to be getting Iggy dirt cheap.
Shero knew it may be a possibility if Calgary wasn't seriously in the playoff hunt, but you are acting like it was already decided in July. Why wouldn't Calgary just do the deal then if that were the case?

Also, we traded Agostino the forward not D'agostini the defenseman. It wasn't a true bidding war process because Iginla had all the power. He limited the teams and it's not like Boston's reported offer was that much better anyway. Both GM's knew they had a good shot so they made reasonable offers and left it up to Iginla.

You are seriously reaching here.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:47 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Agree with this so much but didn't Morrow and Sid play with Iginla in the Olympics?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Sjb141

Quote:
Guys maybe my phrasing gave the wrong impression. Not hating. Shero did nothing wrong and I'm fine with what he said. But I don't believe his account of what all happened.
Cool man.

Sjb141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Dupree13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Shero knew it may be a possibility if Calgary wasn't seriously in the playoff hunt, but you are acting like it was already decided in July. Why wouldn't Calgary just do the deal then if that were the case?

Also, we traded Agostino the forward not D'agostini the defenseman. It wasn't a true bidding war process because Iginla had all the power. He limited the teams and it's not like Boston's reported offer was that much better anyway. Both GM's knew they had a good shot so they made reasonable offers and left it up to Iginla.

You are seriously reaching here.
My bad, I knew it was one of the stinos. But yeah of course it couldn't possibly be 100% but he knew it had a very, very good chance of happening.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
I'm willing to humor this theory. I mean honestly, what would people be saying if the B's got Iginla and Shero's "best" offer of a first and 2 prospects came to light?

They'd be saying, "Overpaid on Morrow, kick in the balls for Iginla." It's believable that Shero knew a lot more than he is willing to admit (can't really say I blame him though).

Jacques G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Best of all Rossi got totally scooped, and owned after teh fact. Kasan was the guy Shero decided to talk to last night, and AFAICT the only guy. Maybe NHL Network will choose its contacts more carefully next time.
What did Rossi do now?

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:59 AM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

It's refreshing that a star winger wants to play here, after hearing all the "who wouldn't want to play with Sid/Malkin" talk which was pretty much unfounded.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:03 AM
AgentM

Shero:

Capture.PNG

AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:05 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
What did Rossi do now?
I dunno, but did you happen to hear Rossi on 590 this morning?

HOLY **** I swear he must be sleeping with Pacal Dupuis. Spent 5 minutes of a 10-minute hit talking about how good Dupuis is and how he can't be moved off the 1st line.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote