Notices

Iginla to Pittsburgh!!

Old
03-28-2013, 08:24 AM
Chooch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
Guess it's better then getting nothing for your soon to be UFA Captain, right?
Yeah, but there is speculation on certain aspects like if Feaster had waited until near the end of the deadline, Iginla's value would of been much greater.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Nordberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
Yeah, but there is speculation on certain aspects like if Feaster had waited until near the end of the deadline, Iginla's value would of been much greater.
Highly doubt it. Most likely our management would have been pressured into caving into a worse deal than the one we got. In retrospect we should have moved before the Morrow deal but no one can say if we would have gotten the return that Dallas managed to get even if Jarome happens to be a spectacularly better player.

Nordberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
Speculation by who? Aaron Ward?

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:43 AM
Shec8576

Whatever happened to the days were players like Iginla drew a large return? Feaster got a 28th pick and two long shots for a 35 year old star player? These no trade clauses need to go, it hurts teams and it hurts the game.

Without the no trade clause, Iginla draws a first, a second, and a solid player because a bidding war begins. This is an awful return for a captain and future hall of famer and its created by the fact the player can say "I will only go here."

I'm not a Flames fan but i certainly don't hate your team and i'm honestly ticked off at this trade. One team gets over the top good without giving up any assets and the other team gets no immediate help and basically three projects. This is a fleecing and any and all of you that are angry today have every right to be. For years the talk was to trade Iginla to get some valuable additions going forward. Non of the players or the pick obtained have any guarantee of ever seeing the ice in the NHL.

Shec8576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shec8576 View Post
Whatever happened to the days were players like Iginla drew a large return? Feaster got a 28th pick and two long shots for a 35 year old star player? These no trade clauses need to go, it hurts teams and it hurts the game.

Without the no trade clause, Iginla draws a first, a second, and a solid player because a bidding war begins. This is an awful return for a captain and future hall of famer and its created by the fact the player can say "I will only go here."

I'm not a Flames fan but i certainly don't hate your team and i'm honestly ticked off at this trade. One team gets over the top good without giving up any assets and the other team gets no immediate help and basically three projects. This is a fleecing and any and all of you that are angry today have every right to be. For years the talk was to trade Iginla to get some valuable additions going forward. Non of the players or the pick obtained have any guarantee of ever seeing the ice in the NHL.
I think that you answered your own question.

Calgary preferred the Boston deal. Iginla wanted to be in Pittsburgh and had a No Trade Clause.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Never heard of either of those dudes and I know prospects fairly well (though I follow CHL a lot more than NCAA). I ****ing thought it was done for Khokhlachev.
It was. Here are Bob MacKenzie's Tweets on what happened:

"Doesn't matter now, but CGY preferred deal was with BOS. The 2 teams agreed on components but w/o critical 3rd element - player approval."

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...82342844268544

"Bottom line, as was the case with Brenden Morrow, Jarome Iginla is a Pittsburgh Penguin today because PIT is where he wanted to go."

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...82794235273216

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Shec8576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post

Calgary preferred the Boston deal. Iginla wanted to be in Pittsburgh and had a No Trade Clause.
Got it. What i'm trying to say in a nutshell is that I feel the no trade clause hurts the game. This was a very unbalanced trade that Feaster was forced into making.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:54 AM
DarkReign

Quote:
Quote:

There is no arguing whether the return on the deal was fair. It wasnt.
But I dont think this is the GMs fault at all. Iginla had final say where he went. He chose Pittsburgh. End of story.

If you want to blame someone for the lackluster return, blame Iginla. Sorry to say that.

Or you could just be happy that your team got something for your soon-to-be UFA formerly elite winger.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:56 AM
DarkReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shec8576 View Post
Got it. What i'm trying to say in a nutshell is that I feel the no trade clause hurts the game. This was a very unbalanced trade that Feaster was forced into making.
Wouldnt argue that. NMC/NTCs do hurt the game but that those also cost the player in salary to get. GMs dont give them out for free unless its an UFA.

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:57 AM
berto14

Though I'll be glad to see Iginla chase another Cup with a legit contender, I can't help but wonder why we bothered trading him if this is all we could get for him. For years now we've been hearing that we should trade Iggy because he'll net us some huge return to kick-start a rebuild. Looking now at the actual return, I can't help but wonder what the point was? I'll admit I don't know a thing about the 2 prospects but comments here suggest that the 1st is by far the most valuable piece. Surely we could have gotten the same by trading other pieces, no? Unless Iggy quietly requested a trade, I can't help but wonder why bother?

berto14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Shec8576

As an Ottawa fan I remember when the Senators as a contender picked up Bondra at the deadline a decade ago.

The player given up was Brooks Laich. If Bondra was worth Brooks Laich, surely Iginla is worth that and more.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Shec8576

Quote:

Old
03-28-2013, 09:03 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlames View Post
IMO, Dallas got a LOT more for Morrow than we got for Iggy.
Relatively speaking, yes. Because Iginla is much superior. But Joe Morrow is essentially a latish 1st rounder, and the value of that is cut a bit by the Pens getting a third and the Stars a 5th.
You get a 1st plus two prospects, who both adds value although they're clearly not sure things. I think D'Agostino at least will be a good NHL'er. Think JT Miller sort of.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Denny 204

I feel like this was a terrible move for you Flames fans. I would have held the Penguins to more than 2 no names and a late pick. If Iggy only wanted to go to Pittsburgh, Feaster should have asked for much more and then not traded him if he didn't get his deal. What a steal for the Pens.

Denny 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:09 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Pretty surreal day today.. Jarome Iginla is no longer a Calgary Flame.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Relatively speaking, yes. Because Iginla is much superior. But Joe Morrow is essentially a latish 1st rounder, and the value of that is cut a bit by the Pens getting a third and the Stars a 5th.
You get a 1st plus two prospects, who both adds value although they're clearly not sure things. I think D'Agostino at least will be a good NHL'er. Think JT Miller sort of.
Not to mention the Morrow trade has been considered a sort of IOU deal between Joe and Shero after that horrible Neal+Niskanen for Goli swap. Just remember that the Flames now have two firsts. Even if that 1st is bottom 5 (or 30th) there's guys like Hagg, Zykov, Petan, Hartman, Horvat, Lazar, Duclair, and many others in reach.

Eyedea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:13 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
The end of an era. I've never felt this emotion before, not even when the Lightning won Game7; it's indescribable. Even if the Flames got a worse package from Pittsburgh, I'm happy for Iginla.

In the words of Bradley Cooper in Silver Linings Playbook: "I got nothing but love for you, brother." Iginla deserves it.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:14 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrejciMVP View Post
Iggy went from Boston's most loved player to most hated player in a matter of hours. What a turn of events lol
Did you guys magically forget about Cooke?

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:23 AM
WhalerBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
I never thought I would see the day.........

WhalerBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:27 AM
tripledeke 82

Iggy on the pens will be great. Hope he wins a cup. I think the late first will be a good pick, hopefully the other two guys turn into nhlers. Since this "retool" is happening lets get some more picks and prospects.

tripledeke 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
I never thought I would see the day.........
I don't know how to feel... It's like I feel nothing but know I should feel something, maybe this team has numbed me to disappointment? Maybe it just hasn't sunk in yet, who knows, what I do know is Calgary no longer has the best player it has ever known, and potentially ever will know, and regardless of how absolutely ecstatic I am for him, it's a sad day for me, the Flames and the Flames fans... I feel like this team doesn't have an identity anymore, before today we were Iginlas team, crappy or not, now we're just a crappy team.

Last edited by Hand of Gaudreau: 03-28-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:35 AM
pierre gagnon*

as a bruin fan Im glad we kept koko, he had a great year in the CHL, played in the subway series was the 2nd best russian in the world juniors and has played in the KHL against men

pierre gagnon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:36 AM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre gagnon View Post
as a bruin fan Im glad we kept koko, he had a great year in the CHL, played in the subway series was the 2nd best russian in the world juniors and has played in the KHL against men
Thank you for that glorious piece of insight. You can stop trying to make yourselves feel better, you would have gladly given him up for Iginla.

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:38 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler View Post
The end of an era. I've never felt this emotion before, not even when the Lightning won Game7; it's indescribable. Even if the Flames got a worse package from Pittsburgh, I'm happy for Iginla.

In the words of Bradley Cooper in Silver Linings Playbook: "I got nothing but love for you, brother." Iginla deserves it.
Yup.. I was a wreck last night, than the troll job and I didn't know if I wanted to laugh or cry.. Now it's setting in, watched the interviews of Cammy and Tangs from last night and now I'm sad again..

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:42 AM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFinnishStarter View Post
Thank you for that glorious piece of insight. You can stop trying to make yourselves feel better, you would have gladly given him up for Iginla.
"Playing against men" doesn't ****ing matter anyway. Stamkos, Getzlaf, Perry, Crosby, JAROME IGINLA, etc. the list goes on of great players who were in the CHL playing against "boys."

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote