HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Penguins look unbeatable this season

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 08:48 AM
Matt Damon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
He's been playing really well this year, as has the defence.
I know, watched most Pens games this year. He played really well last regular season too. I should say I'm not actually that worried about Fleury this year, but if there were to be a potential weak link then that's the obvious one. His track record hasn't been great past 3 play-offs.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:49 AM
Stonewall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
He's been playing really well this year, as has the defence.
The key word though, is playoffs.

His save percentage drop from the regular season to the playoffs in the last 3 seasons:

09-10: .905 -> .891 (13 games)
10-11: .918 -> .899 (7 games)
11-12: .913 -> .834 (6 games)
12-13: .918 -> ???

So yeah, he seems like the weakest link in the chain. But it's still one strong chain.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Larry Hoover

Anyone remember the "cut the formalities, just give the Penguins the cup now" thread from last season? Worked out well, right?

Old
03-28-2013, 08:53 AM
toewsintangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Offense will be very hard to slow down. But the playoffs is littered with teams that can ride a hot goaltender and a solid team system to keep games close.

Like, are the Penguins even a shoe-in to beat the Rangers if their whole team takes on the challenge and shows up in the playoffs?
Also last year they lost to a team without a system and a goalie

Old
03-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Bmessy

Hopefully the pressure will get to them. Going all in has its pros and cons

Old
03-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
The key word though, is playoffs.

His save percentage drop from the regular season to the playoffs in the last 3 seasons:

09-10: .905 -> .891 (13 games)
10-11: .918 -> .899 (7 games)
11-12: .913 -> .834 (6 games)
12-13: .918 -> ???

So yeah, he seems like the weakest link in the chain. But it's still one strong chain.
We'll just go Kevin Keegan style then.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:15 AM
DanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckthug View Post
Dude, that lineup is scary!! Morrow and Iginla are character guys with leadership skills, Captains, guys who hit and can score, playoff performers. Yes they are aging but they are hungry for a cup.

The Penguins are like the Miami Heat. They got the (two) best players in the world and everybody wants to sign with them.
Except nobody signed with them, they were traded... If the Miami Heat comparison were true Parise and Suter would be playing with them right now...

Old
03-28-2013, 09:17 AM
Thunderhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Djokovic View Post
Me!

Boston will win the East.
They could not beat the Habs last night.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:17 AM
DaveT83*

Russel Crowe would say otherwise ...

#MysteryAlaska

Old
03-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Luigi Lemieux

It's other teams fans that are praising them and other teams fans that are ripping them down. I think all pens fans are aware that the game isn't played on paper. Pens might be favorites now, but lots of favorites have lost.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:22 AM
ScottishCanuck

Well, apparently they were guaranteed the Cup last year and we all know what happened then.

Anyone can beat anyone in the playoffs. Nobody is a shoe in for the Stanley Cup.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:23 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
Anyone remember the "cut the formalities, just give the Penguins the cup now" thread from last season? Worked out well, right?
My guess is that actual Pens' fans neither created nor supported such a statement.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:24 AM
LPHabsFan

Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
Penguins top 6 looks insanely scary once Malkin gets back from his injury. Their depth is good as well and their d is very solid. Part of this will depend on which MAF they will get. He's easily capable of being one of the top 5 goalies in the game but he's just as easily capable of letting in some extremely weak goals at the worst of times.

The only other thing I can really say, which is something Pens fans should be extremely wary of, is that if you look at this historically, the teams that make major trades at the deadline rarely if ever go on to win the cup that year. It's usually the teams that either make a very minor move or do nothing at all.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Sypher04

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler View Post
Because Iginla can do what Kunitz does, but better.
Iginla and Kunitz play opposite wings. There is absolutely 0 reason to move Kunitz off Sid's wing.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:28 AM
PensPlz

Send a message via Skype™ to PensPlz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishCanuck View Post
Anyone can beat anyone in the playoffs. Nobody is a shoe in for the Stanley Cup.
Pretty much what I'm thinking.

Boston, Montreal, New Jersey, NY Rangers... all have teams that can turn it on and have a bounce the Pens from the playoffs in 7 games. And if the Pens do manage to make their way through the East and into the finals... they still have to beat one of the very dominate Western teams like Chicago, Anaheim or Minnesota.

"Just don't collect players, build a team". It's still going to be a long few months.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:30 AM
canuckthug16
that's curtains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ View Post
Except nobody signed with them, they were traded... If the Miami Heat comparison were true Parise and Suter would be playing with them right now...
Yeah, but Iggy pretty much hand picked the Pens.

Okay, more than one angle at the Miami Heat comparison.
Both have great regular season records.
Both teams have recorded crazy winning streaks this year (heats got snapped yesterday, Pens still going).

Both teams won a championship recently with cores intact.
Both favored to win it all.
Both teams have 2 of the best players in the world on one team. Malkin/Crosby
Wade/Lebron. (not so much Wade but hes up there).

I think the Heat and Penguin comparison is valid and both are looking unbeatable this season.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:31 AM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Offense wins games. Defense wins championships.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:32 AM
RANDOMH3RO

I'm extremely impressed with then pens and the moves they've made. I'm a little surprised to be hoping the Pens can win the cup now if the Devils don't. I'd love to see Iginla win a cup, but too bad it won't be in a Calgary uniform.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Hnidy Hnight

Unless David Volek comes out of retirement, you can start engraving the penguins names

Old
03-28-2013, 09:36 AM
BigT2002

I would tell Pens fans to not plan the parade yet. However, they two acquisitions they've done in the last week have been very huge for the lockeroom alone by bringing in two Captains from Western Conference teams. Not to mention these are guys who have played every team in the West many times over. Iggy alone owns the Wild. Can't tell you how many times that man has gotten hat tricks on us.

That could be an X-Factor come Stanley Cup time when the conferences aren't playing eachother during the regular season.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Clock

The sentiment here reminds me of when Nashville traded for Forsberg in 07; it's a great "going for it" trade by the Pens, but it's obviously no guarantee.

Good for Pittsburgh!

Old
03-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Uber Coca

As my second favorite team, I'm glad that Pittsburgh landed Iginla and not Boston. The Pens are not only good as individuals, but they're solid as a team (Bylsma is an amazing coach). They play a disciplined game. They're hard on the forecheck. They're fast yet big. They're also able to win any kinds of game.

With Iginla, I'd say that they're among the favorites to win the cup. Anything can happen until the playoffs tho, injuries, letdowns, etc.

Good for their fans. They've had a lot to cheer about in recent years. If we take away the ''tanking'' years (which really wasn't IMO), they still benefited from good management starting from the coach to the general manager.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:42 AM
syc

Nice jinx thread. It worked for the Rangers now let's see if it works for the Pens.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:53 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I would tell Pens fans to not plan the parade yet. However, they two acquisitions they've done in the last week have been very huge for the lockeroom alone by bringing in two Captains from Western Conference teams. Not to mention these are guys who have played every team in the West many times over. Iggy alone owns the Wild. Can't tell you how many times that man has gotten hat tricks on us.

That could be an X-Factor come Stanley Cup time when the conferences aren't playing eachother during the regular season.
Yet, in some ways, I think the Murray deal may have been the most important of the three. He fills a need more than Morrow or Iginla do. Not that I am unhappy with one of my all time favorite players playing with one of my all time favorite players again (see avatar).

Old
03-28-2013, 10:00 AM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Yet, in some ways, I think the Murray deal may have been the most important of the three. He fills a need more than Morrow or Iginla do. Not that I am unhappy with one of my all time favorite players playing with one of my all time favorite players again (see avatar).
I agree with this. They were going to lead the league in goal-scoring no matter what they did at the deadline, just because of Crosby and Kunitz. The Murray acquisition--though metrics don't like him--addressed a more pressing need.

Though Iginla and Morrow are tenacious forecheckers, which should help keep the puck in the other end and limit opportunities against Fleury. So that's helpful.

Closed Thread