HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Martin St. Louis tonight

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-27-2013, 06:08 PM
  #51
Yzlamic Extremist
Registered User
 
Yzlamic Extremist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,583
vCash: 629
They must have mistaken St. Louis for Conacher or Johnson

Yzlamic Extremist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 06:19 PM
  #52
revolverjgw
Registered User
 
revolverjgw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
Neal is interchangeable, he has more versatility than MSL.

What?! Neal is completely invisible when Malkin isn't setting him up (admittedly he's very effective then at the ONE thing he does really well). MSL can produce with anyone and he's all over the ice all the time. God I hope they pick him this time. He'll excel on any of the top three lines, but of course they'll probably go for the "big body" and take a worse, lazier player like Nash.

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 06:31 PM
  #53
Stammertime91
Keep on keepin' on!
 
Stammertime91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolverjgw View Post
What?! Neal is completely invisible when Malkin isn't setting him up (admittedly he's very effective then at the ONE thing he does really well). MSL can produce with anyone and he's all over the ice all the time. God I hope they pick him this time. He'll excel on any of the top three lines, but of course they'll probably go for the "big body" and take a worse, lazier player like Nash.
Yup, thank you. Not just Lightning fans that see things this way. The guy talked about versatility yet St Louis is one of the most versatile players in the league! Not to mention he's done great for them in the WC, he loves playing for them. Cant see Yzerman not calling on him this time around.

Stammertime91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 06:32 PM
  #54
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP
 
Wolfgang Krauser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
In the last 3 years, MSL has averaged just about 29 seconds of short handed time...

Team Canada will have players that are better for the PK than MSL has been in the last 3 years. Bergeron, J.Staal, Toews, Giroux, Perry, Getzlaf all play far more PK than MSL these days...

I dislike James Neal as a player, but I won't question his talent and intangibles(size and strength)

You're obviously a St.Louis fan boy, so it's difficult to have this discussion with you. There is no place for MSL on the top six. There are better options for the Bottom 6.

The only way MSL makes the team is because of Yzerman being the GM of the Bolts.

I think many Canadians will agree with me.

Wolfgang Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 06:35 PM
  #55
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP
 
Wolfgang Krauser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolverjgw View Post
What?! Neal is completely invisible when Malkin isn't setting him up (admittedly he's very effective then at the ONE thing he does really well). MSL can produce with anyone and he's all over the ice all the time. God I hope they pick him this time. He'll excel on any of the top three lines, but of course they'll probably go for the "big body" and take a worse, lazier player like Nash.
? Has RIck Nash ever looked lazy to you for team Canada? The guy has always been a beast.

Neal is struggling, but he's not made by Malkin, despite the current drought.

Wolfgang Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 06:47 PM
  #56
revolverjgw
Registered User
 
revolverjgw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
? Has RIck Nash ever looked lazy to you for team Canada? The guy has always been a beast.

Neal is struggling, but he's not made by Malkin, despite the current drought.
I probably shouldn't have used the word "lazier" in comparing them... I don't think he's lazy and using that word kind of implied it. But compared to St. Louis, he brings less energy, less consistency, less dynamic play, and produces less. But he's big. And St. Louis is small. And that matters way too much in people's perceptions of these two. St. Louis brings more to the game than Nash. He'd buzz around that big ice and Stamkos would have so much room... oh man. Make it happen Canada.

Neal is a good player but he's not in MSL's league. MSL is a dynamo compared to him.

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 06:52 PM
  #57
Mr Underhill
Registered User
 
Mr Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
In the last 3 years, MSL has averaged just about 29 seconds of short handed time...

Team Canada will have players that are better for the PK than MSL has been in the last 3 years. Bergeron, J.Staal, Toews, Giroux, Perry, Getzlaf all play far more PK than MSL these days...

I dislike James Neal as a player, but I won't question his talent and intangibles(size and strength)

You're obviously a St.Louis fan boy, so it's difficult to have this discussion with you. There is no place for MSL on the top six. There are better options for the Bottom 6.

The only way MSL makes the team is because of Yzerman being the GM of the Bolts.

I think many Canadians will agree with me.
Forget Neal, I would like you to explain why they would choose ANY winger over St. Louis.

Mr Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 06:53 PM
  #58
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP
 
Wolfgang Krauser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolverjgw View Post
I probably shouldn't have used the word "lazier" in comparing them... I don't think he's lazy and using that word kind of implied it. But compared to St. Louis, he brings less energy, less consistency, less dynamic play, and produces less. But he's big. And St. Louis is small. And that matters way too much in people's perceptions of these two. St. Louis brings more to the game than Nash.

Neal is a good player but he's not in MSL's league. MSL is a dynamo compared to him.
Rick Nash IMO makes team Canada's because there is simply few players like him. It's incredibly difficult to find players with his size, speed and skill. There are very few finess PF like Rick Nash, there are a lot more 'MSL type' players IMO and Canada has better ones available.

Even when you look at 'experts' predictions of team Canada's roster, how many have St.Louis? Their opinion may not be the say all be all, however they are extremely accurate when it came to picking the last team Canada.

Wolfgang Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:03 PM
  #59
Stammertime91
Keep on keepin' on!
 
Stammertime91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
In the last 3 years, MSL has averaged just about 29 seconds of short handed time...

Team Canada will have players that are better for the PK than MSL has been in the last 3 years. Bergeron, J.Staal, Toews, Giroux, Perry, Getzlaf all play far more PK than MSL these days...

I dislike James Neal as a player, but I won't question his talent and intangibles(size and strength)

You're obviously a St.Louis fan boy, so it's difficult to have this discussion with you. There is no place for MSL on the top six. There are better options for the Bottom 6.

The only way MSL makes the team is because of Yzerman being the GM of the Bolts.

I think many Canadians will agree with me.
{Mod Edit} MSL is one of the most accomplished players and he's top 5 in scoring consistently and he's getting older, yet still playing in every situation, and BETTER than those "bigger and stronger" than him.

Im not a "fan boy." I love MSL, I love the lightning but I love Stamkos even more, MSL is a great player and how you could sit there and say that "intangibles" that you heard on tv the other day implies ONLY? size and strength is better than what MSL can bring to Team Canada is better is beyond me. {Mod Edit} That is like saying leave Stamkos off, Tavares and Iginla would do better with him, just feed Iginla the puck.


{Mod Edit}

Stammertime91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:27 PM
  #60
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 14,265
vCash: 500
He seems to have unlimited stamina and energy.

__________________
Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:01 PM
  #61
Sky04
Registered User
 
Sky04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
Rick Nash IMO makes team Canada's because there is simply few players like him. It's incredibly difficult to find players with his size, speed and skill. There are very few finess PF like Rick Nash, there are a lot more 'MSL type' players IMO and Canada has better ones available.

Even when you look at 'experts' predictions of team Canada's roster, how many have St.Louis? Their opinion may not be the say all be all, however they are extremely accurate when it came to picking the last team Canada.
Can you list some recent lists from these "experts"? Most of these sports analyst list from last year include Hall, Eberle, Seguin so obviously most of them are going on "what have you done for me lately" Doubtful you'd find a recent list (past month) that doesn't include St.louis.

Contrary to what you believe there are MORE players like Nash and MUCH LESS players like St.louis. Big guys with a good physical skillset who can turn it on at times over rare playmaking wingers who are known for showing up big? Right..

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:48 PM
  #62
Bolt32
Registered User
 
Bolt32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,754
vCash: 500
If you're going to talk Olympics keep in mind its going to be played on a much bigger surface where a player with much skill like a msl will be more valuable than a guy like a iginla who has more a power forward mold. Bigger ice means more space for msl to use to find his man and make plays happen.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:57 PM
  #63
Hero
Raptors 13/14
 
Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 18,822
vCash: 50
38 years old, the new Selanne.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:59 AM
  #64
Mr Underhill
Registered User
 
Mr Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post
Forget Neal, I would like you to explain why they would choose ANY winger over St. Louis.
Cant answer this, can you?

Other than 'size', you don't have a strong argument.

Mr Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 06:38 AM
  #65
Bolt32
Registered User
 
Bolt32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Bayless View Post
They must have mistaken St. Louis for Conacher or Johnson
Funny thing is Tyler Johnson is a beast in the making if what we seen is any indication. With that said its way too early to even suggest he makes the Olympics.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:14 AM
  #66
Steve Yzerman
A Great Season
 
Steve Yzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,422
vCash: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
In the last 3 years, MSL has averaged just about 29 seconds of short handed time...

Team Canada will have players that are better for the PK than MSL has been in the last 3 years. Bergeron, J.Staal, Toews, Giroux, Perry, Getzlaf all play far more PK than MSL these days...

I dislike James Neal as a player, but I won't question his talent and intangibles(size and strength)

You're obviously a St.Louis fan boy, so it's difficult to have this discussion with you. There is no place for MSL on the top six. There are better options for the Bottom 6.

The only way MSL makes the team is because of Yzerman being the GM of the Bolts.

I think many Canadians will agree with me.
Canadian here, disagreeing with you. MSL definitely deserves to be on the roster this time.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:48 AM
  #67
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP
 
Wolfgang Krauser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post
Cant answer this, can you?

Other than 'size', you don't have a strong argument.
When do you see 40+ goal scorers left off of teams? The fact that they have size is just an added benefit. Neal's on pace for another 40 goal season this year, even with his slump right now.

MSL gets left off team Canada, for the same reason Jason Spezza gets left off team Canada. No one denies their skill, it's just there are more skilled players than those two and there are players that add a different element than those two.

However, like I said, he has Yzerman as his only saving grace and I hope this thread is bumped in a year.

Wolfgang Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:57 AM
  #68
Stammertime91
Keep on keepin' on!
 
Stammertime91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
When do you see 40+ goal scorers left off of teams? The fact that they have size is just an added benefit. Neal's on pace for another 40 goal season this year, even with his slump right now.

MSL gets left off team Canada, for the same reason Jason Spezza gets left off team Canada. No one denies their skill, it's just there are more skilled players than those two and there are players that add a different element than those two.

However, like I said, he has Yzerman as his only saving grace and I hope this thread is bumped in a year.
Stamkos was left off the team last time around, he had more than 50 goals so whats your point?

Yzerman isnt his only saving grace, MSL has earned it, it wouldnt be given to him, he earned it last time and didnt make it, he's earned it this time and he will probably be on there. What does it matter if it gets bumped in a year? You're still going to make an excuse as to why MSL would be on the roster due to Yzerman being the one picking it, makes NO SENSE. Look at the top scorers in the past few years. Jeez.

Stammertime91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:11 AM
  #69
Jacko95
Registered User
 
Jacko95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
When do you see 40+ goal scorers left off of teams? The fact that they have size is just an added benefit. Neal's on pace for another 40 goal season this year, even with his slump right now.

MSL gets left off team Canada, for the same reason Jason Spezza gets left off team Canada. No one denies their skill, it's just there are more skilled players than those two and there are players that add a different element than those two.

However, like I said, he has Yzerman as his only saving grace and I hope this thread is bumped in a year.
Sorry you say Canada can't let a 40 g scorer at home, that needs a playmaker to succeed (he scored 1 !!!!! goal since the injury of Malkin), but don't want to take the 2nd best Canadian playmaker with your team, that doesn't make ANY scence. You always say there are lots of better players (bigger, stronger), but their is a reason, why lots of European stars are smaller and thats because smaller players are usually faster and speed is a lot more important on the big ice.

Let's look on it from a different side:

A great playmaker, doesn't need a brilliant sniper to be successfull.
But a sniper needs a good playmaker to be successfull (best example your beloved Neal).
So who do you take the sniper and an powerforward (really not that important on the big ice, because the game is less physical) or a sniper and a playmaker?

I say Neal AND MSL will be in Russia next year, but don't expect Nash to be part of it.

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:49 AM
  #70
Mr Underhill
Registered User
 
Mr Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
When do you see 40+ goal scorers left off of teams? The fact that they have size is just an added benefit. Neal's on pace for another 40 goal season this year, even with his slump right now.

MSL gets left off team Canada, for the same reason Jason Spezza gets left off team Canada. No one denies their skill, it's just there are more skilled players than those two and there are players that add a different element than those two.

However, like I said, he has Yzerman as his only saving grace and I hope this thread is bumped in a year.
This would make sense IF Neal and Spezza were more skilled than St.Louis, which they are NOT.

Mr Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:59 AM
  #71
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP
 
Wolfgang Krauser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stammertime91 View Post
Stamkos was left off the team last time around, he had more than 50 goals so whats your point?

Yzerman isnt his only saving grace, MSL has earned it, it wouldnt be given to him, he earned it last time and didnt make it, he's earned it this time and he will probably be on there. What does it matter if it gets bumped in a year? You're still going to make an excuse as to why MSL would be on the roster due to Yzerman being the one picking it, makes NO SENSE. Look at the top scorers in the past few years. Jeez.
Stamkos scored 50 THAT year, he wasn't a 50 goal scorer at the time, and coming off a 20 goal campaign...

Wolfgang Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:01 AM
  #72
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP
 
Wolfgang Krauser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Underhill View Post
This would make sense IF Neal and Spezza were more skilled than St.Louis, which they are NOT.
I dislike both players because the teams they play for, but Spezza is extremely skilled and averages over a PPG in his entire career.

Also, I dislike James Neal, don't know why people think I love the guy lol...just because I say he makes team Canada?

Wolfgang Krauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:51 AM
  #73
Stammertime91
Keep on keepin' on!
 
Stammertime91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
Stamkos scored 50 THAT year, he wasn't a 50 goal scorer at the time, and coming off a 20 goal campaign...
Thank you for nitpicking.

But, Neal hasnt done too well without Malkin, what do you say about that? He's shown he needs a playmaker, wouldnt you rather have the best playmaking winger on the team instead of somebody like Simmonds, Giroux, or Neal?

You arent making any sense. You're simply backtracking and not relating to the "role" players dilemma you talked about first of all, now that you've been shown up for that, you've gone another route.

St Louis can kill penalties. Neal cant.
St Louis has chemistry with anybody. Neal doesnt.

And its proven, 28 shg in his career, Marty has played with Vinny, Stamkos, Perrin, Richards, and all of the Canadians on his former world/olympic teams and never has he been the worst player. He's a lock, whether you like it or not, he's a lock for team Canada. Leaving him off would be like leaving off your best playmaking center, you just dont take away a talented mindset like that for a "sniper" or a "role" player that cant do anything at international level nor anything on their own. There's a reason why MSL is quite an accomplished player. To talk bad about one of the most respected and accomplished active players in the league is pretty rude, and assuming that he'd only make it because of Yzerman, that is absurd.

Stammertime91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:00 AM
  #74
Stammertime91
Keep on keepin' on!
 
Stammertime91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
I dislike both players because the teams they play for, but Spezza is extremely skilled and averages over a PPG in his entire career.

Also, I dislike James Neal, don't know why people think I love the guy lol...just because I say he makes team Canada?
So thats what this is about, because you dont care for Tampa thats why you're "snubbing" MSL as a lock for Team Canada. Thats childish. You cant ignore facts man, its plain and simple, he's an elite player that is consistently putting up great numbers for his team while playing with a bunch of rookies and some big names with Lecavalier and Stamkos. You cant ignore that just because he's small and isnt another center.

Anybody in their right mind if it came down to it all, would pick Stamkos over the following;

J. Staal
Simmonds
Neal
and possibly even Nash, yes he's great and he's been there, but remember, intangibles, he's not a center either.

Spezza is extremely skilled, yes, but dont act like MSL isnt a great player just cause he's not quite a ppg player.

Stammertime91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:10 AM
  #75
revolverjgw
Registered User
 
revolverjgw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
Sorry you say Canada can't let a 40 g scorer at home, that needs a playmaker to succeed (he scored 1 !!!!! goal since the injury of Malkin), but don't want to take the 2nd best Canadian playmaker with your team, that doesn't make ANY scence. You always say there are lots of better players (bigger, stronger), but their is a reason, why lots of European stars are smaller and thats because smaller players are usually faster and speed is a lot more important on the big ice.

Let's look on it from a different side:

A great playmaker, doesn't need a brilliant sniper to be successfull.
But a sniper needs a good playmaker to be successfull (best example your beloved Neal).
So who do you take the sniper and an powerforward (really not that important on the big ice, because the game is less physical) or a sniper and a playmaker?

I say Neal AND MSL will be in Russia next year, but don't expect Nash to be part of it.
Ugh, keep Neal away from that team. Nash yes, MSL double yes

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.