HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ramifications of false news from Aaron Ward? (Not a thread about the trade of Iginla)

Old
03-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Is it possible for any media outlet to lose credibility in your eyes?

Jeez, Iginla was probably the most important person in the room, and they reported without knowing his viewpoint.

****** journalism.
What I don't get is this... Iginla agreed to go to the Bruins. So why does he say no at the last minute? Wouldn't he have already signed off on this? Everyone is saying he rejected the Bruins at the last minute, are we sure that's the case here?

If it is, there's a lesson for GMs here. Get the player to put it in writing first. If he waives the NTC for four teams then make sure he signs this beforehand. No point in getting the player to verbally agree only to back out at the last minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 View Post
True, I did. But I think that the word from Calgary was a little misguided in the sense that the GM said OK to the deal that was offered but Iginla did not. So, Ward probably heard a deal had been agreed upon and tweeted it out. Of course this is speculation, but in the world of reporting especially in sports, it's a feeding frenzy for who gets to report breaking news first.
The difference between Mackenzie and Ward is pretty stark here. Bobby Mac basically reiterated everything that Ward did but with the qualification that there were still some final steps to get done. He never confirmed it the way Ward did. Big difference.

Now Ward has learned a lesson... better to get it right than to get it first. He could've claimed the scoop and reported it first, all he had to do was qualify his answer the way Mackenzie did. He could've saved himself a lot of pain and a lot of credibility.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:23 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

vCash: 50
He was hardly the only journalist that announced that deal... Nothing will happen...

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:37 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Next week, no one will remember this.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:39 AM
NeverGoingToWin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overseer View Post
Anybody who cares about this needs to take a step back from their computer/phone/tablet and go for a walk in the woods.

Ramifications?

Who gives a ****?
Good to know at least one person agrees with me.

NeverGoingToWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:47 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

I'm pretty sure the normal course of action is a public flogging, then a face tattoo so that everyone will know him as an "oathbreaker" til the end of his days.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:51 AM
IME

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysLeafsTFCfan View Post
Good to know at least one person agrees with me.
Really? People always moan about holding media accountable for false reports. Here is an example of the crowd deciding that Aaron Ward lost credibility. The ramifications? (1) I bet he lost a bunch of twitter followers, (2) TSN will now question other claims he makes, making it almost impossible to break a story, and (3) Other reporters will now practice more due diligence (at least in the short term)

I am actually glad that this is a thread of HFBoards. In a time where anybody can report anything, holding someone socially responsible for an incorrect report is a great way to combat inaccuracy and shoddy journalism.

IME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:55 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

No. This was not at all Ward's fault. Sure he was the one that broke it, but he got confirmation and then everyone (including his co-workers at TSN) backed him up.

It's a mistake, people make mistakes. I will still trust Ward.

couture23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Capital Dee

Capital Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
No. This was not at all Ward's fault. Sure he was the one that broke it, but he got confirmation and then everyone (including his co-workers at TSN) backed him up.

It's a mistake, people make mistakes. I will still trust Ward.
So there's no responsibility breaking a trade?

Clearly it's not a "mistake", someone was at fault. In this case, Ward clearly trusted sources who didn't know the full story. It's his job to ensure those sources are up to snuff.

It's the sources fault, but ultimately, Ward has to be responsible for his reporting. He failed in this regard.

I hope what comes from this is more accurate reporting in the future.

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 View Post
lol what kind of penalty are you gonna put on a guy for reporting that? no reporting for the next week? fire him over it? Ward has been a really good analyst/reporter for TSN for a while now and will continue to be. I'm sure his embarrassment to his colleagues is more punishment than anything else.
Agree.

I have no doubts that a deal was "done", it just wasn't "done-done". Player wise, ya, it probably was. However, my guess is Feaster had deals "done" from both Pittsburgh and Boston, took those to Jarome and said here are the two options I have in front of me right now, and Jarome said "I'll go to Pittsburgh".

Ward just jumped the gun, is all. That's my theory, anyway.

03-28-2013, 10:03 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
So there's no responsibility breaking a trade?

Clearly it's not a "mistake", someone was at fault. In this case, Ward clearly trusted sources who didn't know the full story. It's his job to ensure those sources are up to snuff.

It's the sources fault, but ultimately, Ward has to be responsible for his reporting. He failed in this regard.

I hope what comes from this is more accurate reporting in the future.
I really couldn't care less though because how often does this happen? This was like a once in a lifetime event.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I really couldn't care less though because how often does this happen? This was like a once in a lifetime event.
It's really not, and given the state of journalism in society, it is more likely to happen moving forward unless the media knows this is unacceptable. TSN needs to know it should only be a once in a life time event.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:19 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
It's really not, and given the state of journalism in society, it is more likely to happen moving forward unless the media knows this is unacceptable. TSN needs to know it should only be a once in a life time event.
Are you a journalism student?

Some people are going to be upset that TSN (Ward) broke the news, and I understand why because false reporting does suck. I really just don't care once the truth is out. Ward admits his mistake, TSN panel admitted their mistake.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:20 AM
Habs 1909

He did jump the gun, but it happens. His player perspective on the TSN panel is still appreciated and there is no doubt he has well-connected sources with Boston.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
It's not on Wardo. The onus is on who gave Wardo the information from within the Bruins organisation. The person within probably had provided him with correct information repeatedly in the past. This informant told Wardo the deal was done. Wardo trusts his source, has no reason to question it, and reports it. Wardo deserves a pass
It is on Ward. He's the one reporting it. If the deal isn't done don't say it is. Say there's a deal in principle that needs to be finalized. That's what Bobby Mac did and it's what separates the pros from the amateurs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Let me ask some of you chastising Ward this question:

What do you judge his credibility on? The one incident where he made a mistake, albeit a big one; or the dozens of other times when he's been the first one to break something? He was the first one to confirm that the lockout was over, IIRC. I've also never seen him get anything wrong like this, before.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. He's still reliable and a legitimate source. People make mistakes. Live and learn.
He's lost some credibility here. People who bring up Eklund are really missing the point... the last thing you want is to be compared to that guy.

Ward is going to have to be a lot more careful going forward. Your credibility is not a boomerang, once you lose it, it's hard to get it back.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:26 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Didn't Dreger basically do the same thing in the Heatley situation? Did he lose credibility? There is your answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Didn't he lose some credibility after that?

Regardless, I think that's the bottom line - if any penalty, it's just one that impacts his reputation. Likely nothing more.
Dreger has perfect hair, diction and I'm sensing a stellar reputation with mirrors

he is never wrong

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:32 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Are you a journalism student?

Some people are going to be upset that TSN (Ward) broke the news, and I understand why because false reporting does suck. I really just don't care once the truth is out. Ward admits his mistake, TSN panel admitted their mistake.
No, but it's hard to get a message to a media outlet without just turning off the TV, which I would never advocate for TSN. They're the best at what they do, I agree they learned their mistake, but this shouldn't be merely shrugged off.

The public deserves better, and I have no doubt they will next time from Ward.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:33 AM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by IME View Post
Really? People always moan about holding media accountable for false reports. Here is an example of the crowd deciding that Aaron Ward lost credibility. The ramifications? (1) I bet he lost a bunch of twitter followers, (2) TSN will now question other claims he makes, making it almost impossible to break a story, and (3) Other reporters will now practice more due diligence (at least in the short term)

I am actually glad that this is a thread of HFBoards. In a time where anybody can report anything, holding someone socially responsible for an incorrect report is a great way to combat inaccuracy and shoddy journalism.
Holding the media accountable is a good thing, if they're a part of the real media who report on government and social issues. Who the hell really cares if a sports reporter gets something wrong? Anyone who is actually mad about this needs to pause and rethink their priorities in life.

achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:37 AM
NeverGoingToWin

Quote:
Originally Posted by IME View Post

I personally never do that. This is a sport and I could not care less what people say about it. Now if this was something that actually mattered and was not just a hockey trade then I would understand people caring.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:39 AM
NeverGoingToWin

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
Holding the media accountable is a good thing, if they're a part of the real media who report on government and social issues. Who the hell really cares if a sports reporter gets something wrong? Anyone who is actually mad about this needs to pause and rethink their priorities in life.
This is what I was trying to say. People take sports way too seriously.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysLeafsTFCfan View Post
This is what I was trying to say. People take sports way too seriously.
Why should we be indifferent to bad reporting regardless of subject matter?

Old
03-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Fat Jughead

I don't care that he jumped the gun. We all did. Every B's fan knew Iggy wasn't dressed, knew the roster moves we made leading up to the game last night, knew the players involved in the trade and knew we were damn close to getting the deal done. We wouldn't have known any of that without the media. That's great reporting. Things just went sideways right at the end, and the crazies got their feelings hurted. **** em

I'm sure Ward learned a valuable lesson last night, and won't ever let it happen again. That said, I can see TSN taking it a little more seriously than I do. This is their business after all. Hope he doesn't get fired. I like em on the panel.

Last edited by Fat Jughead: 03-28-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Fat Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:59 AM
IME

vCash: 200
I think people in this thread are equating holding somebody responsible, with being mad. The two are separate.

I like that Ward is facing some backlash here, and yet I am not mad in the slightest that his report was wrong. I think most people who are holding Ward responsible fall into the former.

But yeah, if you are legitimately upset, you should probably reprioritize a few things. But that doesn't mean you must refrain from making cognizable points about accountability.

IME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:06 AM
Boromir Jagr*

This is what happens when tweeting and blogging leads to people worrying more about being first than being accurate.

Boromir Jagr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

vCash: 270
I was still thinking he'd end up in Pittsburgh even after all that boston business.

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote