HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Which goalie had the best Playoff run ever...

Old
03-27-2013, 06:35 PM
rajuabju
The One & Only

vCash: 500
As another poster said... I too hate Ducks, but JS Giguere was otherwordly.

Thomas, Roy, Hasek and Quick round out my top 5.

rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 06:58 PM
spiny norman
Mod Supervisor
Dinsdale !!!

For me, Ken Dryden in the '70s.

spiny norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Fedorov
Bab Bye Holland Next

I'd like to throw an honorable mention to Roloson. He would have a cup ring if it wasn't for Ladd and Bergeron. He didn't outplay previously mentioned and had a lot of shot blocking and a Pronger to help but he played dynamite and every time his team needed a break his helmet mysteriously came off.

Fedorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Malice430

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
That look in his eyes says it all:

yep they say: I need even bigger pads

Malice430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:53 PM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

Giguere then Thomas, though to be honest Thomas had it pretty easy in the Finals against Vancouver.

The Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Jonathan Quick absolutely must be in the discussion:

16-4, 1.41 GAA, .946 SV%
Quick was great but faced a bunch of defensive first teams that couldnt score to save their lives. doesnt belong in this discussion.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:08 PM
BMOK33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralous View Post
Pretty much. We just watched the guy give up 3,3,6 & 3 goals in the 4 games we saw in person in NJ, including a fairly gigantic 5 hole in game 7 and they go and award him the MVP. It just fed into the feeling that the Devils never got the respect they deserved.

I don't get the people saying Brodeur in '03 either. He was way better in the '00 run when they played a much more wide open system under Robinson. He was absolutely lights out from game 5 of the Flyers series through those two multiple overtime goalie duels with Belfour to close out the series against the Stars. I always felt he never got the credit he deserved from that run. I guess it evened out in '03 when the system was a lot tighter and frankly there were a lot of easy shutouts. That was also the year I first remember him starting the give up flukes at the worst times.

My vote goes to Roy '93 and Giguere in '03 despite the 3 games in NJ. Hasek is probably up there as well but all of his playoff run blend together for me so I'm not sure any one year stands out.
I think Brodeur's game 6 performance may very well have cost him the Conn Smythe in 03, that was quite possibly one of the worst goaltending displays I can recall in the past 25 years in a big playoff game by an elite goalie, he was fighting everything thrown his way from the 10 second mark....Roy's performance in that game 7 in 2002 was pretty darn bad as well and probably worse the more I think about it. Obviously one bad game should not make that big a difference but given it was a chance to clinch he may have lost some votes.

BMOK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:37 PM
Evincar
I have found the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Cam Ward for Carolina's Cup run should get a mention.

Anytime a rookie does it is impressive, like Roy in '86.
Cam Ward played so bad he was benched in the Eastern Conference Finals against Buffalo. He should not be in the discussion at all.

Quick was great last year but the Kings were excellent defensively and they played some popgun offenses for sure. Anybody saying Quick had the greatest run ever probably has only started watching hockey since 2006.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:53 AM
NJDevils7

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckridesagain View Post
I remember a lot of Anaheim fans were pissed that the nj fans started booing J.S. when he won the smythe. To this day I truely believe that just about everyone there was not booing J.S. but were booing that a devils player was not awarded the conn smythe. Am I right devils fans?
Devils fans think that Brodeur was robbed of a Conn Smyth. Yes, Giguere was incredible in the first 3 rounds, but he was nothing special in the last round. In the SCF, Giguere posted a 2.71 GAA while Brodeur posted a 1.71 GAA with 3 shutouts including one in game 7 of the finals. 7 of the Devils 16 wins were shutouts.

NJDevils7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:31 AM
MartysBetterThanYou

The Conn Smythe is the one award Marty never got, and most Devils fans feel 2003 was his year to get it, but it was given to the OTHER TEAM's goalie despite all of our shutouts in the playoffs. People were not booing Giguere, they had a lot of respect for him. They were booing the fact that Marty got snubbed. It still stings now as that was his last run to the Finals while still in his prime. Marty is still an important piece of the Devils' success, but he cannot carry the team on his back like he did in 2003, hence his window for a Conn Smythe has closed.

MartysBetterThanYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:33 AM
Evincar
I have found the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetterThanYou View Post
The Conn Smythe is the one award Marty never got, and most Devils fans feel 2003 was his year to get it, but it was given to the OTHER TEAM's goalie despite all of our shutouts in the playoffs. People were not booing Giguere, they had a lot of respect for him. They were booing the fact that Marty got snubbed. It still stings now as that was his last run to the Finals while still in his prime. Marty is still an important piece of the Devils' success, but he cannot carry the team on his back like he did in 2003, hence his window for a Conn Smythe has closed.
There's no guarantee Marty would have won the Smythe anyways. Niedermayer was just as deserving.

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:52 AM
Sykur

Roy in 93.

10 straight OT wins.

Sykur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:52 AM
masterson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
No love for Ron Hextall '87?
Considering the age of the majority of posters here, no. If it happened prior to the lockout, most of them were too young and if it happened prior to the early 2000's it may as well have not happened at all.

masterson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Bones45
I want my $2!

Hard to compare stats and performances from today's defensive/shot blocking times to the games and open skating/shooting style of the 70's and 80's. Apples and oranges gents. Pretty sure that I can put on some oversized equipment and butterfly and make 50% of the saves.

That being said, I find it funny that nobody mentioned Billy Smith in 1983. Isles were getting older and slower, and the Oil were just about to go full throttle blasting everyone into tomorrow with their firepower. You could check their roster and your eyes would spin with jealousy.

There is no single definition of "best playoff run" but the Isles in 1983 weren't as dominant as previous years. They just "turned it on" for the playoffs and Smith was the backbone. They shut down the Oilers and swept in 4.

That was the year of Glenn Anderson stick to the neck and Smitty went down and Anderson got a major. The post game interview on that one was priceless. "TWO CAN PLAY AT THAT GAME" Classic.

In any case -- yes-- I'm an Isles fan holding on to their past. I think Smitty needs a callout here for sweeping Gretzky, Kurri, Messier, Coffey and company in 1983.

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:28 AM
buckridesagain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice430 View Post
yep they say: I need even bigger pads
Oh for crying out loud. His pads weren't oversized. Does anyone here really think the NHL would allow a goalie to wear oversized pads during the playoffs let alone the SCF? Get over it already.

buckridesagain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:30 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 835
Brodeur's '95 Cup run was pretty outstanding, too. Someone in the advanced stats forum suggested that relative to league standard, Brodeur's '95 run was more impressive than his '03 run.

.927 SV%, 1.67 GAA, 3 SO as a sophomore in a much higher scoring league. If it wasn't for Lemieux's freakish goal outburst, Marty gets the Smythe.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:40 AM
MichaelDelNotto
Likes Hockey

Gotta go with Giguere. I think he just had tougher teams to deal with. Cam Ward is also worth mentioning.

MichaelDelNotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Brodeur's '95 Cup run was pretty outstanding, too. Someone in the advanced stats forum suggested that relative to league standard, Brodeur's '95 run was more impressive than his '03 run.
Yep - I posted his 1995 totals above, but here are all three for comparison (all from http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/brodeurm.html ):

(SD = standard deviations better than an "average" goaltender, GD = goals prevented beyond an "average" goaltender, GAR = goals prevented beyond a "replacement-level" goaltender):

1995: 3.1 SD, 21.4 GD, 28.9 GAR
2000: 0.9 SD, 3.0 GD, 5.2 GAR
2003: 1.6 SD, 11.0 GD, 20.4 GAR

I'll throw in one more for good measure:

1994: 2.2 SD, 15.4 GD, 24.0 GAR

Overall, I've got him (career postseason) at 39 GD and 119.2 GAR. I prefer the goals above replacement metric, since a 0 GD suggests no value, but that's an average goaltender, and there's plenty of value in being an average NHL goaltender.

Trebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:41 AM
TOML

Giguere's mammoth pads ftw.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:58 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Yep - I posted his 1995 totals above, but here are all three for comparison (all from http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/brodeurm.html ):

(SD = standard deviations better than an "average" goaltender, GD = goals prevented beyond an "average" goaltender, GAR = goals prevented beyond a "replacement-level" goaltender):

1995: 3.1 SD, 21.4 GD, 28.9 GAR
2000: 0.9 SD, 3.0 GD, 5.2 GAR
2003: 1.6 SD, 11.0 GD, 20.4 GAR

I'll throw in one more for good measure:

1994: 2.2 SD, 15.4 GD, 24.0 GAR

Overall, I've got him (career postseason) at 39 GD and 119.2 GAR. I prefer the goals above replacement metric, since a 0 GD suggests no value, but that's an average goaltender, and there's plenty of value in being an average NHL goaltender.
How are these numbers calculated? I find the numbers in 2012 very questionable. Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, it's suggesting that Brodeur was WORSE than league average in the 2012 playoffs?

Outside of the Florida series where he was admittedly questionable at best, he kept a very dynamic Flyers team at bay (Brodeur actually outscored Giroux at ES in that series) and managed to out-duel the Vezina winner head to head.

I think his numbers are a bit skewed due to letting in some unnecessary goals in during blowouts during the Finals. Either way, the 2012 run was one of the finest Brodeur has had in a decade and he was likely NJ's frontrunner for the Conn Smythe had they won it all.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
How are these numbers calculated? I find the numbers in 2012 very questionable. Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, it's suggesting that Brodeur was WORSE than league average in the 2012 playoffs?
That's exactly right. The numbers are based on save percentage, and in the 2012 playoffs, Brodeur's save percentage was lower than league average. I understand that save percentage is not the be-all and end-all; as I mentioned in my initial post of the thread (post #27), it's a starting point for discussion.

For those interested, I talk more about the mechanics of deriving these numbers here:
http://hockeygoalies.org/stats/glossary.html#zscore

Looking at his game log, I stand by that conclusion - he had some shaky save percentage games. To the extent that save percentage doesn't measure certain things (which is true to a degree), he may have been better or worse than what those numbers show.

Before you or someone else asks, I did watch Brodeur during the 2012 playoffs.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:06 AM
blueowl2
Go Bolts

03 Jiggy

HM: 06 Ward

blueowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:01 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
That's exactly right. The numbers are based on save percentage, and in the 2012 playoffs, Brodeur's save percentage was lower than league average. I understand that save percentage is not the be-all and end-all; as I mentioned in my initial post of the thread (post #27), it's a starting point for discussion.

For those interested, I talk more about the mechanics of deriving these numbers here:
http://hockeygoalies.org/stats/glossary.html#zscore

Looking at his game log, I stand by that conclusion - he had some shaky save percentage games. To the extent that save percentage doesn't measure certain things (which is true to a degree), he may have been better or worse than what those numbers show.

Before you or someone else asks, I did watch Brodeur during the 2012 playoffs.
He was certainly better than your stats would suggest.

The Devils PK was abysmal in the playoffs after their record-setting regular season. New Jersey allowed 27 PP goals the entire 82 game regular season, and 22 PP goals in 24 playoff games. They didn't just go from amazing to average, they regressed from amazing to very bad. The eye test confirms that most of the goals he let in were backdoor passes or shots from the slot, the fault of the defense and incredibly low percentage stops for a goalie to make.

New Jersey only allowed 30 ES goals in 24 games, that's outstanding. Only LA allowed less per game amongst teams that won a round. Marty had a .928 SV% at ES. Therefore, I'd argue his SV% despite being good on the surface is skewing your metrics by quite a bit.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
He was certainly better than your stats would suggest.
"My stats"? It's save percentage, for Pete's sake. Brodeur's save percentage in the 2012 playoffs was lower than the league average - that's a fact. The math that I do is a translation of that, and nothing more.

I've already discussed above the limitations of save percentage, but if you want to flog me a little bit more, feel free.

I understand that you've got a horse in the race, but please separate facts from opinions.

"My stats".

Old
03-28-2013, 12:06 PM
PhillyCurt12

Antero Niittymaki wasn't terrible in the '06 Olympics

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote