HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers taking calls on Ales Hemsky

Old
03-28-2013, 08:36 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
Well this is new ! Every GM should take calls on all players . As an Oiler fan i would not want to trade Hall or the Nuge , but if i was a GM i would still take calls on them and listen . As a Gm it is their job to make a team better , not sit on their hands and do nothing which GMST seems to be good at
Some Oiler fans

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:43 AM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
Yes but on the other hand Murray went for 2 seconds . Plus Feaster is an Idiot , and Iginla had a say in it . Iginla was smart , as a goal scorer who better to play with then Crosby or Malkin 2 of the games best . He will look good playing with them and probably drive up his next contract . I do not think the Pens can resign him with the lower cap .
True about Murray's return but he is a huge Dman more built for playoff hockey. Those type of players are much more valuable to a playoff team. Playoffs are a battle ground. A small, flashy and injury prone player who is terrible defensively doesn't standout for GM's. Why do you think every year we hear about Hemsky rumors with nothing every coming from it?... It's because the price is always to high for what he brings. I'm not saying he won't be traded but Oilers fans are dreaming if they think he's going fetch a stellar return. Maybe a B prospect or 3rd if lucky.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Neatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
True about Murray's return but he is a huge Dman more built for playoff hockey. Those type of players are much more valuable to a playoff team. Playoffs are a battle ground. A small, flashy and injury prone player who is terrible defensively doesn't standout for GM's. Why do you think every year we hear about Hemsky rumors with nothing every coming from it?... It's because the price is always to high for what he brings. I'm not saying he won't be traded but Oilers fans are dreaming if they think he's going fetch a stellar return. Maybe a B prospect or 3rd if lucky.
Why do posters say things this stupid and expect to be taken seriously?

Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:11 AM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatman View Post
Why do posters say things this stupid and expect to be taken seriously?
Couldn't care less if you take it seriously or not. It is my opinion. Watch and see. Why hasn't he been traded yet then? Every year the Oilers try an dump him for some great return and every year other GM's laugh.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:51 AM
armandh01

Hemsky is a good option if Edmonton eats 1 - 1.5 million of his contract, he is instantly much better with that.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:54 AM
zaYG
Nerevarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
I am surprised you guys arent chasing a top dman. its playoff hockey after all. DEFENSE
What top dman is available?

Boyle probably won't be pryable from SJ, and Streit, who is undoubtably the #1 choice of all players left after Iggy being gone, is probably going to extend.

Basically our best bet is to go for some scoring and some depth d. I don't think Hemsky/Whitney is the way to go, but I bet Chiarelli does.

zaYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:58 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
Couldn't care less if you take it seriously or not. It is my opinion. Watch and see. Why hasn't he been traded yet then? Every year the Oilers try an dump him for some great return and every year other GM's laugh.
because the oilers aren't trying to dump him. They're said flat out that he's available if you give them what they want in return, they set the price high because they value Hemsky and would happily keep him on the team rather than get a lesser return on him.

A player being available doesn't mean they're trying to get rid of him.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:09 AM
nally

Quote:
You are aware of the 17 points Hemsky put up in the playoffs in 06? Guy sucks when the games matter. Exactly what playoff teams don't want.
Thanks tips

nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:21 AM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nally View Post
You are aware of the 17 points Hemsky put up in the playoffs in 06? Guy sucks when the games matter. Exactly what playoff teams don't want.
Thanks tips
Maybe if you add a 2nd or 1st you can trade him for someone who did even better in the 2006 playoffs. Like Cory Stillman or Chris Dury. The 2006 playoffs are as always super relevant to player's trade values in 2013.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:25 AM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorstenFrings View Post
Maybe if you add a 2nd or 1st you can trade him for someone who did even better in the 2006 playoffs. Like Cory Stillman or Chris Dury. The 2006 playoffs are as always super relevant to player's trade values in 2013.
You saying it isn't relevant? Just curious

Last time he was in the playoffs, he was a stud. But he's a washed up 29 year old

nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:26 AM
jokerboysmith

I imagine the B's will offer something for Hemsky + Whitney

Perhaps - Koko and Bartowski or Caron and Bartowski

jokerboysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:27 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Quote:
You saying it isn't relevant? Just curious

Last time he was in the playoffs, he was a stud. But he's a washed up 29 year old
Not anymore it isn't.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Smelling Salt

Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
I've always liked Hemsky's skill, but I dunno...

1 point shy of 450 for his career already in his 10th season and turning 30 this year. He gets talked about alot so only having 449 career points is probably surprising to many. And it's not gonna get better I don't think. Not saying he couldn't put up some points in a short run, but that 5 million for next year hurts.

Smelling Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:31 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
in a cap down year (and actually many others, historically) rentals are worth more because you can walk away from the huge contracts.
Not necessarily, there are some teams that can afford to absorb a hit. Like some people said, it's a seller's market, and the Oilers don't have to trade Hemsky, its not like their going to loss him to UFA. It all comes down to how desperate are some teams, are they desperate enough to pay the price, looking at past history, I would say yes.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:31 AM
MikeK

Quote:
Thanks tips
Give me a break. That was 7 years ago with many games lost do to injury since. He's a career -31. Those 2 seasons where he had his playoff stats padded just happen to be the years that Pronger was around and almost single handily won the oilers a cup. If Hemsky was a playoff game changer like you claim he'd have been gone years ago when the Oil started first shopping him. This tip is free.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:34 AM
Oil Baron

Hemsky soft? you guys make me laugh he may not be the strongest player but one thing you will notice in both clips on here is he skated off both times. Hemsky gets hurt because he is not afraid to go into the dirty areas to make a plays unlike a lot of perimeter players on your teams now. You should be so lucky to get him on your team and I guarantee once you do your opinion will change dramatically

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rppnMrGDqDk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esZi79o_OyI

Oil Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:46 AM
belair

Quote:
Give me a break. That was 7 years ago with many games lost do to injury since. He's a career -31. Those 2 seasons where he had his playoff stats padded just happen to be the years that Pronger was around and almost single handily won the oilers a cup. If Hemsky was a playoff game changer like you claim he'd have been gone years ago when the Oil started first shopping him. This tip is free.
Yeah....you didn't watch those games.

Pronger was a monster in that run, but a number of guys on that team played more integral roles - like Dwayne Roloson.

Ales Hemsky is a solid supporting character. He's an elusive player who has the ability to single-handedly carry his team's offense at times.

He can be a game-changer.

When he uses his speed through the neutral zone, he creates chances for his team and forces the defense to play on their heels - see his numerous highlight-reel goals.

Like any player, he isn't without fault.

But I can see Hemmer going to Boston kind of like them sending us Samsonov that year. The only catch is that you have to guarantee that one of the picks the Oil get turns into Milan Lucic...

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerboysmith View Post
I imagine the B's will offer something for Hemsky + Whitney

Perhaps - Koko and Bartowski or Caron and Bartowski
Why do Bruins fans feel that Bartowksi has any value? Whitney's not worth much but he is worth more than a 25 year old AHL defenseman. The Barons don't need another 2nd pairing defenseman. Could take a flyer on Caron for Whitney.

Khokhlachev is another small skilled forward that would never crack the top 6 in Edmonton. Even with Hemsky gone-
Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov

Khokhlachev would be heading back to the KHL

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:01 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Hemsky is a good option if Edmonton eats 1 - 1.5 million of his contract, he is instantly much better with that.
He is worth 5 million. Its a 1.5 year contract ...What is the big deal ?

LolClarkson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:02 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I have no doubt that Poile is on the phone with Edmonton about Hemsky. I'd assume something around Blum is in the works.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I have no doubt that Poile is on the phone with Edmonton about Hemsky. I'd assume something around Blum is in the works.
He's had a rough year but I would rather take a chance on Ellis(Hall connection, and fits in the age group even though Blum is no veteran). If I had a choice between Blum, Ellis, and Hemsky; I'm keeping Hemsky.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:09 AM
ds246pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
He is worth 5 million. Its a 1.5 year contract ...What is the big deal ?
The big deal is he is signed at 5 million next season and with the cap going down, guys without expiring contracts actually have LESS value to most of the teams competing for the cup.

The only teams right now looking to add 5 million (non-elite dollars) on next year's cap who are in the playoff hunt might be someone like the Islanders who are way under next season as it is. I can't see teams like Boston, Chicago, LA, wanting to commit that much money to a guy like Hemsky with the cap dropping almost 7 million next year

ds246pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:11 AM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds246pit View Post
The big deal is he is signed at 5 million next season and with the cap going down, guys without expiring contracts actually have LESS value to most of the teams competing for the cup.

The only teams right now looking to add 5 million (non-elite dollars) on next year's cap who are in the playoff hunt might be someone like the Islanders who are way under next season as it is. I can't see teams like Boston, Chicago, LA, wanting to commit that much money to a guy like Hemsky with the cap dropping almost 7 million next year
You could always buy him out.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:12 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds246pit View Post

Add Edmonton to that list. They have the cap space, and he's not a bad player where you would need to pay a team to take him off your hands

Old
03-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Blum looked a lot better this year in Nashville than he did last year and in the AHL when I saw him this year IMO. Josi is now a pipe dream, that kid is one hell of a hockey player!