HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Association Football Thread (New York Red Bulls, USMNT, And All Soccer Discussion)

Old
03-26-2013, 11:06 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
A+ dive and fake injury by the Mexicans. Soccer is so disgusting.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:29 PM
ecemleafs

Usa wins 0-0!!!!

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:05 AM
nyrmetros

How many Americans do you think made the trip to the Azteca? Espn briefly showed them before the game started.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:16 PM
park rangers
Optimist

Hated soccer growing up, but have found a new perspective and respect for it during the 2006 World Cup and really started watching USMNT team in 2010.

Yet games like last night remind me why I really can't get into soccer like other sports. The diving and faking of injuries was ridiculous to the point that I was embarrassed to be watching the game.

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:21 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Last night was huge...A makeshift US team held their own and that wall of Gonzalez and Besler stopped any Mexicans from advancing much into the box to shoot.

great effort.

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:52 PM
GarretJoseph

anybody else here a NYRB season ticket holder?

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:12 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Mexico was robbed thrice. The Referee clearly had his own agenda. But the US did what they had to do, parked the bus and held on for dear life.

If you're going to criticize the diving then you're free to change the channel. Deception is a part of any sport. The problem with the American soccer fan (besides the elitism) is that they think they can barge in on the world game and all of a sudden change the things they don't like. The IFAB has taken appropriate measures to reduce embellishment. These kinds of changes are evo not revolutionary. Be patient and take baby steps.

Be happy your dreams will come to fruition with goal line technology for the 2014 world cup.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:05 AM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
anybody else here a NYRB season ticket holder?
I am a Metrostars ticket holder... Section 101

Old
03-28-2013, 12:06 AM
nyrmetros

USA vs Mexico draws monster ratings on ESPN

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/us-mexi...6046--sow.html

Old
03-28-2013, 04:57 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
Mexico was robbed thrice. The Referee clearly had his own agenda. But the US did what they had to do, parked the bus and held on for dear life.

If you're going to criticize the diving then you're free to change the channel. Deception is a part of any sport. The problem with the American soccer fan (besides the elitism) is that they think they can barge in on the world game and all of a sudden change the things they don't like. The IFAB has taken appropriate measures to reduce embellishment. These kinds of changes are evo not revolutionary. Be patient and take baby steps.

Be happy your dreams will come to fruition with goal line technology for the 2014 world cup.
What did the IFAB do to stop embellishment and diving? I must've missed it.

And it wouldn't even need a rule change by the IFAB to stop this crap, but merely a change of policy by FIFA to allow post-game reviews of dives and handing out suspensions for it.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:44 AM
nyrmetros

[QUOTE=nyrmetros;62587829]USA vs Mexico draws monster ratings on ESPN

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/us-mexi...6046--sow.html[/QUOTE http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/usa-...pn-1200329995/

Over 2 million on Espn and 4 million on Unimas which is owned by univision combined for over 7 million viewers on a Tuesday night with the game ending at 12:30 am.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:31 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
What did the IFAB do to stop embellishment and diving? I must've missed it.

And it wouldn't even need a rule change by the IFAB to stop this crap, but merely a change of policy by FIFA to allow post-game reviews of dives and handing out suspensions for it.
That's what happened. Merely a change of stance, not some sort of passage of legislation. The FA spearheaded the change in attitude. It's reflected in the EPL with harsher discipline to diving which is very apparent. When the FA takes a stance the other three British FAs usually fall in line. So with half of the IFAB being harder on diving Blatter doesn't want to look bad and pushes the policy in FIFA as well.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:37 AM
jniklast

Quote:
That's what happened. Merely a change of stance, not some sort of passage of legislation. The FA spearheaded the change in attitude. It's reflected in the EPL with harsher discipline to diving which is very apparent. When the FA takes a stance the other three British FAs usually fall in line. So with half of the IFAB being harder on diving Blatter doesn't want to look bad and pushes the policy in FIFA as well.
So there are suspensions handed out for diving? That would be awesome.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:49 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Anyone think soccer will get bigger than hockey in the States? Gonna be a lot of cross promotion by NBC for Premier League / NHL now they have the TV rights for both.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:55 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
So there are suspensions handed out for diving? That would be awesome.
Not specifically for diving but i believe there have been players who got their second yellow card for diving thus leading to a suspension. As for retroactive reviewing of actions I believe that has no place in the game. Discipline is to be handed out in the moment, end of story. Video review has no place in the decision making process.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:01 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
Anyone think soccer will get bigger than hockey in the States? Gonna be a lot of cross promotion by NBC for Premier League / NHL now they have the TV rights for both.
Yes, if the US qualifies for the 2014 world cup I think it'll come as soon as then. P

Maybe it's just me but I love the euro-centric programming format that the NBCSN has taken as evidenced by the EPL and Formula 1. It really makes up for not having access to SKY Sports in the states.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:04 AM
nyrmetros

NBC Sports has every sports property that I watch. NHL, MLS, EPL, Indycar, F1, and USA rugby. Ftw!

Old
03-28-2013, 07:00 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Not specifically for diving but i believe there have been players who got their second yellow card for diving thus leading to a suspension. As for retroactive reviewing of actions I believe that has no place in the game. Discipline is to be handed out in the moment, end of story. Video review has no place in the decision making process.
I disagree. I don't want video reviews during the game, but I see no reason why players can escape punishment even for the most severe offence when the referee misjudged the situtation. There is retroactive reviewing of actions and suspensions are handed out if the referee missed it completely, but for obscure reasons there isn't when he just didn't see it right.

I don't want every foul being reviewed or even any fouls fighting for the ball at all. But things like assault or severe unsportsmanlike conduct, which for me includes diving and obvious embellishment, have no place in the game and I'd welcome video review and handing out of suspensions for that after the games, even if the referee misjudged it. Once you hand out escalating suspensions for clear-cut dives, players will soon stay on their feet much longer.

As long as chances are pretty good you'll get away with diving and the prize is a penalty, a yellow card is not nearly enough of a punishment to stop anyone from trying it again and again.

Old
03-29-2013, 02:41 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
I disagree. I don't want video reviews during the game, but I see no reason why players can escape punishment even for the most severe offence when the referee misjudged the situtation. There is retroactive reviewing of actions and suspensions are handed out if the referee missed it completely, but for obscure reasons there isn't when he just didn't see it right.

I don't want every foul being reviewed or even any fouls fighting for the ball at all. But things like assault or severe unsportsmanlike conduct, which for me includes diving and obvious embellishment, have no place in the game and I'd welcome video review and handing out of suspensions for that after the games, even if the referee misjudged it. Once you hand out escalating suspensions for clear-cut dives, players will soon stay on their feet much longer.

As long as chances are pretty good you'll get away with diving and the prize is a penalty, a yellow card is not nearly enough of a punishment to stop anyone from trying it again and again.
I could respect that opinion. Though I do think a yellow card is enough. Penalties aren't given as easily as they were even 2 or 3 seasons ago. Even clear fouls arent given anymore because it was in the box, now penalties have to be rather egregious. Keep in mind that in tournaments (EUFA & FIFA) two cumulative yellow cards will lead to a 1 match ban. In the premiership 5 cumulative yellows is a 1 match ban. I believe most leagues and FAs have a comparable disciplining system.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:31 PM
GarretJoseph

yahoo fantasy baseball if anyone wants to join, draft tonight at 11:15pm eastern.

League ID#: 174916
League Name: Champions League
Password: newyork

*please select a soccer teams name as your club name* - trying to do a Champions League theme league.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:39 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Panathinaikos 4eva

Last edited by KreiMeARiver: 03-29-2013 at 12:46 PM.
KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:51 AM
nyrmetros

Metrostars vs Philadelphia today at RBA at 3:30 pm. Anyone else going?

Old
03-30-2013, 08:03 PM
nyrmetros

Wow what a game today! How many Philly supporters do you think traveled to RBA today?

Old
03-30-2013, 08:30 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Wow what a game today! How many Philly supporters do you think traveled to RBA today?
seemed like a healthy amount. Couple thousand maybe. I wish everyone could of had the privilege of watching Henry play in his prime at Highbury. What a magician.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:00 AM
nyrmetros

The USA is going to play Costa Rica up in Hartford in June as part of the Gold Cup. Is anyone else going? I already bought my tickets.