HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Around The NHL: Part XLV

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 10:09 AM
16 To Stanley*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
A number of thoughts on this news:

1) Iginla had a NTC clause. If he didn't want to go, he wasn't going. Feaster has said at the end of the day it was Jarome who chose Pittsburgh. I have no reason to doubt him. So, what else was Feaster to do?

2) Even if he still had the option of trading to Boston, my understanding is that as of late last night the Boston #1 pick was conditional. Let's face it, none of the prospects in any of the rumored packages were top tier. The most important piece was the pick. If one was conditional and the other wasn't... again, kind of an easy call for Feaster.

3) So the Pens are going for it this year? So what? All three of these guys are on expiring contracts - they don't help that team for more than another 90 days. Even if you think the Iginla deal was highway robbery, they've still shipped out a ton of assets in the last month for 3 graying gunslingers who are leaving town after this showdown. Good.

4) Everyone hears the names and freaks out - but none of these guys are who they were in their primes. If they were, they wouldn't have been available for rental. This isn't acquiring a Hossa or a Kovalchuk in midseason. This is acquiring a Glenn Anderson.

5) The Pens added Murray, Iginla and Morrow. We're adding Fast and MZA, maybe Lindberg and maybe more through trades. I don't mean to say that the players are comparable, but there are other ways to add guys and other guys to add. It's not like we don't have help coming or that this team doesn't have tons of talent that hasn't yet come to the fore. Presuming we can start pulling it together (keeping the lines from last game intact would be a start, Torts), I still like our chances in the playoffs.

I've never been a fan of anything more than around-the-edge-of-the-roster rentals. Living through the way the 94 cup team disintegrated not long after, I am firmly against deals for guys on the wrong side of 30, especially if they're intended to play big roles and especially at the deadline, when you only get them for a few months and you have to pay up to get them.

The Pens just made THREE of these deals. We'll see if it helps them this year. Whether it does or not, I can't wait to see how the Pens fare next year and beyond. They'll never be in terrible shape as long as they have Crosby, but they've just traded away a first and two seconds (plus pieces) for old guys who won't be there longer than June. I hate deals like that and sincerely hope Slats doesn't make any.

Last, but not least - for the love of God, NO REACTIONARY DEALS! Stay the course.
Agreed on everything and i would just add in the tidbit about defense.

Pens biggest issue last year was defense, their offense will always be top-tier with Malkin/Crosby. They scored an absurd amount of goals in the playoffs. Thing is, the playoffs have been and will always be about defense. Maybe not every round, but you have to be able to play great D to make it through 4 rounds.

I don't see how the addition of a slow, on his last legs, Murray helps in that regard. He's nothing more than a bottom pairing D-man.

Again, I think they would have been better off making a big push at getting JBO (maybe the contract scared them away). I really don't see these moves doing much and they gave up quite a few assets.

United the Atlantic will stand against the Pens. I don't see them going to the cup with that suspect D and a Fleury who is consistently shaky.

I don't think it's a surprise that the year they won the cup he went into a mode hes never been able to replicate. Not saying it can't/won't happen again, but I wouldn't bet my money on it.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:24 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Can someone explain to me how the pens had the cap room?

Old
03-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Mittelstadt Nemesis
...One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Can someone explain to me how the pens had the cap room?
The cap is 70 million, and Iggy only playing less than half the season for Pitt means the actual cap hit added was more like 3 million.

Team can go "over" the cap a the deadline provided they have had some space open for most of the season. The cap represents more an average hit limit over the course of the season. If you accrue some space yo can use it later.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
The cap is 70 million, and Iggy only playing less than half the season for Pitt means the actual cap hit added was more like 3 million.

Team can go "over" the cap a the deadline provided they have had some space open for most of the season. The cap represents more an average hit limit over the course of the season. If you accrue some space yo can use it later.
oh wow ok thx

Old
03-28-2013, 10:37 AM
PMII
Shattendeuces

vCash: 50
So I ask Ottawa coach Paul MacLean his thoughts on Iginla deal: "I don't know why we're going to bother playing the playoffs."
http://twitter.com/stevezipay/status...96515448193026

MacLean is awesome.

03-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Heyoooo*

Pittsburgh has a giant target on their back.

The entire league is all about bringing them down.

Chicago can do it.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Steve Kournianos
@thedraftanalyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
They really gave up nothing for him.
They might only have him for 30 or so games.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Thunderhead

vCash: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
I don't really need Thomas, but all the other ones, come on down!

I'd chop off body parts for some of them. Crosby, Malkin!

Alright, back to earth.
I like Thomas , but u're right, we don't need him.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:56 AM
Thunderhead

Iginla wants a cup and knows the Pens will provide it this season. That's why he choosed Pittsburgh.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:59 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
Flyers,Devils,Islanders and Us should just collectively get together and pray that whatever low seed plays PIT pulls a jesus miracle and eliminates them.

Re: Hate The Pens!!!

That's what I'm talking about; a topic that unites all of us Ranger's fans!

Old
03-28-2013, 11:03 AM
esidebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
Iginla wants a cup and knows the Pens will provide it this season. That's why he choosed Pittsburgh.
If the past has been correct, old veterans moving to likely championship teams in any sport has ended up poorly.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:04 AM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
I hope this is sarcasm. They still have a suspect defense and a goalie that hasn't played at an elite level in quite some time.

They always tear up teams in the regular season. Defense becomes prominent in the playoffs and holes are consistently exposed.

We play the games for a reason.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:05 AM
Thirty One
k.

vCash: 420
https://twitter.com/boonieves/status/317306020013678592

Quote:
Is about time Pittsburgh mixed in a brother
Oh Boo....

Old
03-28-2013, 11:06 AM
Steve Kournianos
@thedraftanalyst

The Pens have tried and tried to build a dynasty and it just hasnt worked. The NHl may be designed for regular season dominance, but the NHL isnt the NBA, and home ice means little.

To me, just knowing that Crosby is one check away from his career being over is reason enough to hold on to all these picks and prospects, not to panic and think this is the last chance they have to win.

IIRC, the Pens have like a .630 winning pct since 2008 without Crosby.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:07 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

Sent: Mar 28, 2013 12:06p

Lundqvist on Penguins getting Iginla: "At the same time, the more they add -- the more pressure they add on themselves."

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/ian_mendes/status/317306684886355969

Old
03-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Thirty One
k.

Pittsburgh has to be a rental situation for Iginla, doesn't it? Which is exactly what he was reported as not being interested in.

Pittsburgh's 2014 UFA Class:
Deryk Engelland
Tanner Glass
Tyler Kennedy
Chris Kunitz
Kris Letang
Evgeni Malkin
Matt Niskanen
Brooks Orpik
Tomas Vokoun

Old
03-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Thunderhead

Quote:
I hope this is sarcasm. They still have a suspect defense and a goalie that hasn't played at an elite level in quite some time.

They always tear up teams in the regular season. Defense becomes prominent in the playoffs and holes are consistently exposed.

We play the games for a reason.
They won 13 straight with a poor defence. Possible 14, after tonight.
But, here this means nothing unless, your favorite team does it.
And yes, we play the games for a reason.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Mittelstadt Nemesis
...One

Pitt will likely move Martin in the offseason if they want to clear salary.

I don't know who would take him at that number, with the cap going down, but the NHL will find a way to let Pitt keep their stars.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:15 AM
Thirty One
k.

Quote:
It's impressive, but all it takes for their season to end is a team to beat them 4 out of 7 times. This board loves its absolutes, though.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:16 AM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
And yes, we play the games for a reason.
You're acting like it's a guarantee.

I still don't see them winning a cup. Regulation means ****.

Chicago had a better streak this year IMO. Therefore they are shoe ins for the cup.

Hell, why even have playoffs. Just engrave their names already.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:17 AM
poeman
To Win The One Ring

Id have to think Malkin wants to be the man of his own team somewhere and someone is going to give him one Kovalchuk type contract

Old
03-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Agreed on everything and i would just add in the tidbit about defense.

Pens biggest issue last year was defense, their offense will always be top-tier with Malkin/Crosby. They scored an absurd amount of goals in the playoffs. Thing is, the playoffs have been and will always be about defense. Maybe not every round, but you have to be able to play great D to make it through 4 rounds.

I don't see how the addition of a slow, on his last legs, Murray helps in that regard. He's nothing more than a bottom pairing D-man.

Again, I think they would have been better off making a big push at getting JBO (maybe the contract scared them away). I really don't see these moves doing much and they gave up quite a few assets.

United the Atlantic will stand against the Pens. I don't see them going to the cup with that suspect D and a Fleury who is consistently shaky.

I don't think it's a surprise that the year they won the cup he went into a mode hes never been able to replicate. Not saying it can't/won't happen again, but I wouldn't bet my money on it.
Excellent post; right on point with the Pen's weaknesses.
At least we're all united in our hatred for the "model franchise" of the NHL and their pompous a****** of an owner!

Old
03-28-2013, 11:19 AM
poeman
To Win The One Ring

Oh and this suits Boston right now

Old
03-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Mittelstadt Nemesis
...One

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
Id have to think Malkin wants to be the man of his own team somewhere and someone is going to give him one Kovalchuk type contract
It wouldn't surprise me, but Pitt will also throw the kitchen sink to keep him there.

Still, it's ultimately up to Geno. He got an early UFA out, Stamkos did too. Players like options. Leverage. Malkin could probably get 10 million per season coming off a strong year.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:22 AM
poeman
To Win The One Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
It wouldn't surprise me, but Pitt will also throw the kitchen sink to keep him there.

Still, it's ultimately up to Geno. He got an early UFA out, Stamkos did too. Players like options. Leverage. Malkin could probably get 10 million per season coming off a strong year.
easy event off a mediocre year.

The man is beast

Closed Thread