HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Springfield Falcons/Kalamazoo Wings Thread IV (All Affiliate talk here)

Old
03-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Hockeygirl2748

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickguy View Post
Falcons are rolling again with 3 wins this week. McElhinney only let in 4 goals total in the 3 games and also a good week for Vogelhuber and Holden both with 2 goals and an assist and Joudrey with a goal, 2 assists and a shoot-out winner last night.
Did you feel the games were played well by the Falcons? A win is a win, but the Bridgeport game we were lucky to win. Bad penalties. Defense is the issue here, hope we can get a couple back from Columbus for the playoffs.

Hockeygirl2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

you got troops...Larkin and Madaisky are there now

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:07 PM
stickguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl2748 View Post
Did you feel the games were played well by the Falcons? A win is a win, but the Bridgeport game we were lucky to win. Bad penalties. Defense is the issue here, hope we can get a couple back from Columbus for the playoffs.
Good teams win games they sometimes don't deserve to but they find a way. I am still more concerned about the offense ...averaging only 2 goals a game in the last 10 while giving up 2.4 goals.

stickguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:53 AM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
you got troops...Larkin and Madaisky are there now
You don't win in the playoffs with ECHL caliber troops.

scoob4093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:18 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob4093 View Post
Madaisky was one of the top defensemen in the WHL last season. He should be one of the up and coming prospects for the Jackets. He's not ECHL caliber.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:22 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
I don't think either of those guys are ECHL caliber, honestly. Young, yes, but they have the ability to play in the A.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:41 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
I don't think either of those guys are ECHL caliber, honestly. Young, yes, but they have the ability to play in the A.
Well HG2748 has already noted that Ruth, Banwell and Weber are, in her opinion, ECHL caliber. I concur in that opinion. We shall see in what way these 2 prospects differ from them.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:56 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

If Wiz is back, I'd expect someone to get sent down over the weekend.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:01 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Well HG2748 has already noted that Ruth, Banwell and Weber are, in her opinion, ECHL caliber. I concur in that opinion. We shall see in what way these 2 prospects differ from them.
I understand, but you were replying to a post that mentioned Larkin and Madaisky specifically. I would expect them to have more upside than some of those guys and perhaps be a little more adjusted to the speed of the game over time.

Hopefully SPR can adjust and make it work. Part of being the AHL, I suppose.

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:16 PM
JacketsFanWest

The big difference for Springy will be if any NHL caliber defensemen are in the lineup for the playoffs. And that's going to be more difficult, since the AHL season ends before the NHL season.

Any trades made at the deadline could also have an impact. Say Aucoin, Nikitin and Savard are dealt and only prospects and draft picks come back.

Prout, Erixon and Moore all deserve to stay up in Columbus. Goloubef played well enough when he was in Columbus to stay as well. Jarmo and JD may just want them playing the rest of the season in the NHL.

Chicoutimi is down 3-1 to Quebec in the QMJHL playoffs. If they lose, the maybe Lukas Sedlak is signed and there's another forward for the Falcons. But not a lot of immediate defensive help.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:52 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
The big difference for Springy will be if any NHL caliber defensemen are in the lineup for the playoffs. And that's going to be more difficult, since the AHL season ends before the NHL season.

Any trades made at the deadline could also have an impact. Say Aucoin, Nikitin and Savard are dealt and only prospects and draft picks come back.

Prout, Erixon and Moore all deserve to stay up in Columbus. Goloubef played well enough when he was in Columbus to stay as well. Jarmo and JD may just want them playing the rest of the season in the NHL.

Chicoutimi is down 3-1 to Quebec in the QMJHL playoffs. If they lose, the maybe Lukas Sedlak is signed and there's another forward for the Falcons. But not a lot of immediate defensive help.
Agree with most of your post. Question I have is whether Erixon, Moore and Prout are, at this point, bonafide NHL defensemen.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Agree with most of your post. Question I have is whether Erixon, Moore and Prout are, at this point, bonafide NHL defensemen.
Erixon appears to be - without a doubt in my opinion. I would put Moore there too. Prout has played very well but I would like to see him get more experience in the AHL but he is certainly not out of place. Springfield has done very well integrating the same system as the CBJ and the players adjustment period seems very short. it comes down to do they have the skill set and the brain for the NHL. All of them (and Golo) seem to have it but I place Moore and Erixon at the head of the class.

I don't see Ruth back and Weber may not be anything more than a career AHL guy at his peak. I think Madaisky shows potential and likely is a fit in the AHL. I know little beyond stats for Larkin and what's been written about his skill set.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Arch City Zach

I would like see Atkinson back in Springfield for a few games to see if can get back on the board. Especially if Dubinsky comes back quickly. Cam says he's able to skate much better now that the brace is off, but he just hasn't been able to do much. Maybe he comes back like Joey and plays well.

Arch City Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 06:32 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
I understand, but you were replying to a post that mentioned Larkin and Madaisky specifically. I would expect them to have more upside than some of those guys and perhaps be a little more adjusted to the speed of the game over time.

Hopefully SPR can adjust and make it work. Part of being the AHL, I suppose.
Both are healthy scratches tonight against the Sound Tigers.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Madaisky is a fantastic player; without the horrific neck injury he suffered in his draft year, he could have been a top-90 pick. He should be a difference maker for the Falcons down the stretch ... in no way would I describe him as an ECHL'er.

I think the Falcons will be fine. The bigger issue will be whether they can continue to adjust with the call-ups and send-downs that are typical for ECHL teams. I think they were a little bit spoiled by the NHL lockout - perhaps more than any team other than Oklahoma City - because of the quality of young players that the Jackets were able to provide them with, during the lockout.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:31 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Madaisky is a fantastic player; without the horrific neck injury he suffered in his draft year, he could have been a top-90 pick. He should be a difference maker for the Falcons down the stretch ... in no way would I describe him as an ECHL'er.

I think the Falcons will be fine. The bigger issue will be whether they can continue to adjust with the call-ups and send-downs that are typical for ECHL teams. I think they were a little bit spoiled by the NHL lockout - perhaps more than any team other than Oklahoma City - because of the quality of young players that the Jackets were able to provide them with, during the lockout.
Anxious to see this player. Have never seen him in action but the way he's described in these spaces Falcons fans have a budding star in their midst.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Anxious to see this player. Have never seen him in action but the way he's described in these spaces Falcons fans have a budding star in their midst.
Heading into his draft year, he was touted as a potential first rounder ... however partway through the year, was dealt to Kamloops, who was a struggling young team at the time. His production (not surprisingly) dropped off, and the injury that he suffered was terrible. The Jackets decided to take a chance on him anyhow, and since he had become one of the top defensemen in the WHL. The system's defensive depth and the lockout were the only reasons he was in the ECHL to start the year; compound that with another unfortunate injury, and he has yet to show his true worth.

Unfortunately for Austin, he's a shadow of what he once could have been, mainly because he's missed nearly two full years of hockey in key developmental years. Hopefully he can salvage an NHL career out of it. He's a guy that I love to root for.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:25 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachACA View Post
I would like see Atkinson back in Springfield for a few games to see if can get back on the board. Especially if Dubinsky comes back quickly. Cam says he's able to skate much better now that the brace is off, but he just hasn't been able to do much. Maybe he comes back like Joey and plays well.
I was thinking the same thing last week. I figured Atkinson would get a confidence boost from lower competition.

But, we were wrong. He didn't need lower competition to bust out. Awesome game tonight for Atkinson.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Hockeygirl2748

Larkin is a big body, skates well and has a good shot. He is young and needs to adjust to the pro game. He gets caught out of position, which I expect transitioning from college to the AHL.

Madaisky was OK in pre-season. I felt he had a chance to make the Falcons, but with the lockout we were overloaded with defense. (Can we make that happen again? ) His surgery set him back almost another full season, the kid seems to be injury prone or unlucky. Either way, I feel bad for him.

Jackets seem to like Prout more than Moore and Erixon. I can see why the edge over Erixon, not Moore. Moore brings solid defense and sound positioning most games.

On to the game. Falcons won 5-4 over the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. Allen York started and Paul Dainton was backup. McElhinney was given the night off. York allowed all 4 goals in the 1st period before being pulled. Dainton played part of the 1st and 2nd before being injured on a save on Blair Riley. He played a few more minutes before leaving the game. Lower body injury, hope to have an update this weekend. York came back and played better, but did not face many shots in the 2nd and 3rd.

JAM, Craig, Ford, Weber and Aleardi scored. Aleardi's goal was his 1st pro goal. JAM and Ford had 3 points a piece.

Falcons gave the Tigers 8 PP's. Going 6 for 8 on the PK.

Falcons play CT Saturday at home and Albany on Tuesday in a rescheduled game from earlier this year.

Hockeygirl2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:16 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 872
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 1 min
Told #CBJ prospect C Kevin Lynch, who just finished @ Michigan - has signed an ATO w Springfield for rest of season,

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:04 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl2748 View Post
(snip)

Jackets seem to like Prout more than Moore and Erixon. I can see why the edge over Erixon, not Moore. Moore brings solid defense and sound positioning most games.

(snip)
I think the reason they like Prout is that he is the closest thing to a defensive d-man they've got. He is what I think they would like Nikitin to be as far as clearing the crease, etc. Moore & Erixon have very similar games (from what I've seen) and are pretty much interchangeable.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:28 PM
Arch City Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
I was thinking the same thing last week. I figured Atkinson would get a confidence boost from lower competition.

But, we were wrong. He didn't need lower competition to bust out. Awesome game tonight for Atkinson.
I swear he must post here and read that!

Arch City Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 10:42 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Separated at birth!

Justin Warner, host of Rebel Eats on the Food Network

Ryan Johansen, Columbus Blue Jacket and Springfield Falcons alumni.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Congrats to the Falcons on clinching their first playoff berth in a decade.

04-06-2013, 12:27 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

congrats springy! survive a few days and you should have erixon, cam, and calvert when your playoffs start and the nhl season ends.

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote