HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIII: "This Space Available"

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 12:56 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicman View Post
Whileee... Watch Mc Masters, that is all I will say. Can't say any more.... Source... Sibat and others. Watch Cyprus, no need to boast...everything is pre-arranged.
Im not Whileee obviously, but welcome to hf.... now, as you embark upon your journey here, you will soon discover that David Lynch "cryptic" doesnt go over real big. I have no idea who Mc Masters is, less still Cyprus, and I rather doubt anyone else does either besides yourself of course. Are they both code words for something else? Like, The Owls Are Not What They Seem from Twin Peaks? Who or what is a Mc Masters? Where do we even watch this sentient or possibly non-sentient being? Website, blog, Scyfy Channel, where & when?... whats a Cyprus, boast about what... and whats "pre-arranged"?... So yes, welcome, an explanation if you please.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:23 AM
RAgIn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Those are actually RE-tweets..... just for accuracy.
True story. She's still floating on the Jamison cloud though. Yikes.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:32 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
AIMCo is a government retirement fund so don't confuse being Vice Chair of that with someone who is a vice chair at Goldman Sachs
And the size of the fund is a red herring.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:00 AM
MartysBetterThanYou

My guess is this mysterious new ownership group is a ploy by Bettman to drive up the cost of the the Coyotes so they can get more money out of Quebecor. Just my hunch. The 'Yotes are on their way to Quebec, unless this Alberta oil baron has his eyes on Seattle and wants to "commit indefinitely" (actually for one-two years) to keeping the Coyotes in Phoenix until Key is renovated to be fit as a temp arena.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:09 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetterThanYou View Post
My guess is this mysterious new ownership group is a ploy by Bettman to drive up the cost of the the Coyotes so they can get more money out of Quebecor. Just my hunch. The 'Yotes are on their way to Quebec, unless this Alberta oil baron has his eyes on Seattle and wants to "commit indefinitely" (actually for one-two years) to keeping the Coyotes in Phoenix until Key is renovated to be fit as a temp arena.
I believe any "I buy them to move them in 2 years" scenario is wrong.

I think the league ask new owners to keep teams in place at least 7 years before getting the lightest tentation to move them.

But, certainly, NOBODY serious would buy the team in the intent to keep them in Glendaleland. The RESALE and profit$ is the plan.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:26 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Except you haven't seen us (Coyote fans) bring her up in the discussion here have you.... OR IEH for that matter??? Only people who bring her, or George Fallar, up in this thread are those who want to make smug remarks at and rarely, if ever, address what they actually say..... "for entertainment".

Nice try......

My characterization of "mass-firing" was a direct interpretation of you original comment claiming Clark was advocating nothing but firing employees. You want to nick pick this to death over the next several thread I'm game for it. Bottom line is you made a broad characterization on an item in her blog.

Oh BTW.... did I mention Clark had voted against the $100M parking plan for Hulsizer? She also stated at that same time she wouldn't go for a third $25M "subsidy" either.

If you advocate to spend money you don't have then you are being fiscally irresponsible.... period. And yes.... that would include exorbitant AMFs... IF.... it wasn't necessary for the long haul.

You completely ignored the point which was two fold. Which was how does Beacon sell a group on an arena management when the the other party involved (Glendale) when that same party (Glendale) could be willing to take money away from the funds for it to cover irresponsible spending somewhere else. Remember the city was just caught using monies from one department to cover another. Some of it illegally. Or did you ignore that too??

Yeah.... I'd agree.

But given Darren Dreger's tweets tonight along with John Shannon's a couple hours ago, I'd say things may be warming up again.
I'm not surprised that Coyotes fans don't bring up Clark / Fallar or IEH in this forum? With new reports that LeBlanc might be involved in a new bid, and their previous unsolicited offer to manage the Jobing.com without the Coyotes, it looks like IEH is back in the game. We kept their seat warm.

At a budget meeting late last year during which discussions were focused on staff cuts Clark explicitly urged other council members not to defer cutting staff, while adamantly supporting the AMF to Jamison. I didn't hear any other suggestions from her about how the COG could save $15 million per year to pay for the AMF, and to catch up on the deficit caused by draining $50 million out of the COG's funds to pay the NHL. Perhaps you can let us know what other ideas she has for cutting budgets. "Mass firings" was your term, not mine.

If you advocate spending money you don't have on a subsidy to rich NHL owners to keep an NHL team, that is fiscally responsible. If you do so to preserve city services, that is fiscally irresponsible. I think I see a pattern. I guess it just depends on what you believe is necessary "for the long haul".

Clark's decision not to support the Hulsizer deal was largely related to her understanding that it contained an "opt out" clause after 5 years.

I'm well aware of the COG's fiscal improprieties. So, you think that a spending $100-200K to consultants to negotiate with potential arena managers (including Coyotes owners) will "drain" their $17 million AMF fund? Who would you suggest conduct these negotiations? The recently demoted Horatio Skeete? The new temporary City Manager? Or maybe they could bring in TL Hocking. They had him on a retainer over $80,000 per year. He doesn't seem that busy right now.

I agree, let's focus on the real news emerging. Maybe we have finally drifted out of the doldrums and there's a fresh breeze in the sails.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:57 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfoot View Post
There's a chance we won't get to Phoenix IC: Wayne Gretzky Rocks?! Weird. Looks like the shenanigans may be nearly over. This is smelling a lot like Atlanta this time 2 years ago.
Phoenix IC: What You Did There

Old
03-28-2013, 08:30 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Phoenix IC: What You Did There
Perfect.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:33 AM
GuelphStormer

gosbee is a non-starter in this equation. everything about the man suggests he is intelligent and wouldn't touch this situation with a 1,179 mile long pipeline.

that he is even being mentioned is almost certainly more a case of leblanc continuing to jump up and down and now saying, "but listen everybody, ive got a rich friend named george and he's gonna help me buy the team. honest. seriously. hello? hellooo??!!"

until there is an explicit statement from gosbee himself that unequivocally says he is interested in buying the team and keeping it in glendale, then as far as im concerned, this is just another meaningless footnote put forth by a clown whose 15 minutes ran out years ago.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:43 AM
Mightygoose

vCash: 514
Quote:
But given Darren Dreger's tweets tonight along with John Shannon's a couple hours ago, I'd say things may be warming up again.
As 2 of the league;s mouthpieces, the timing of the apparenrtly 'conflicting' stories are done with purpose IMO. Since the league wants to control the message, it's their way of saying that they're not going to wait forever while still provding hope bringing one of the recycled names but this time with a new tag team partner.

As there are still a few homes games left to sell, they can't just turn to plan B yet and if the Yotes do miss the playoffs then it may very be 'weeks not months'

Old
03-28-2013, 09:06 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
A few posts back I was questioning the lack of hearing anything, and then "poof" tweets coming out of the woodwork. I guess my ol' HFB nudge to the NHL got people moving..

Regardless... the thing to remember is, no matter how many groups are said to be kicking this dog around the block ( of note: after Atlanta moved, Bettman said there were 22 groups in total that looked at the Thrashers ) and no matter how much green they may have in their pockets... the ONE FACT remains... NOBODY is buying this team and keeping it in Glendale without a subsidy. People may want to own the Coyotes, they just don't want to take the responsibility for the funds required to operate them. That's the sad reality. Buying the team for $170M is the easy part. Getting the CoG to subsidize the operations... well, that's why we are still here after 4 years.

There just isn't a rich billionaire around that loves hockey and loves Glendale enough to own a team that will most likely lose money perpetually. Billionaires are billionaires because they like being billionaires. Their goal in life is to NOT buy something that will make them millionaires.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
As 2 of the league;s mouthpieces, the timing of the apparenrtly 'conflicting' stories are done with purpose IMO. Since the league wants to control the message, it's their way of saying that they're not going to wait forever while still provding hope bringing one of the recycled names but this time with a new tag team partner.

As there are still a few homes games left to sell, they can't just turn to plan B yet and if the Yotes do miss the playoffs then it may very be 'weeks not months'
Could also be a shot across the bow of the current mayor and council, in light of their engagement of a firm to look at arena management options. The messages being:

1) The stick - We will move this team if you don't provide a lucrative lease arrangement (Dreger).
2) The carrot - We have plenty more rich guys for you to talk with; your buddy Mr. LeBlanc can introduce you (Shannon).

I think that the NHL still wants to make it work in Glendale, but realizes that it will still require a huge subsidy from the COG to entice a new owner. They would like to test the new city council to see what they might be willing to offer, but they need a "stalking horse" (enter LeBlanc). If the new city council tells them to take a hike, they can leave on the high road, saying that they had potential owners but the COG wasn't willing to partner with them.

Meanwhile, nobody is going to ask hard questions of the NHL related to their intransigence in moving the purchase price down to market value, or even below, respecting how Glendale has helped them out through the Balsillie affair.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:32 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Meanwhile, nobody is going to ask hard questions of the NHL related to their intransigence in moving the purchase price down to market value, or even below, respecting how Glendale has helped them out through the Balsillie affair.
which raises the issue of that $20M sitting in escrow from last year. perhaps it will indeed become the league's consolation gift back to the city. that would be nice, eh? would help to keep seattle on the line.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:39 AM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
which raises the issue of that $20M sitting in escrow from last year. perhaps it will indeed become the league's consolation gift back to the city. that would be nice, eh? would help to keep seattle on the line.
Just asking, but do you honestly think Bettman is going to walk away from Glendale and NOT take his $20M in free money with him? Really? Remember, this team is only here because the CoG kept putting up money, not because of the kindness of Bettman's heart. We are talking Bettman here.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:44 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Just asking, but do you honestly think Bettman is going to walk away from Glendale and NOT take his $20M in free money with him? Really? Remember, we are talking Bettman here.
in and of itself, no, of course not.

but in the context of other (potential) owners entering into negotiations with other cities, it would be an ominously dark signal for the league to twist the knife on its way out of glendale.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:51 AM
cbcwpg

Quote:
in and of itself, no, of course not.

but in the context of other (potential) owners entering into negotiations with other cities, it would be an ominously dark signal for the league to twist the knife on its way out of glendale.
I just look at his history. In Atlanta's case, Bettman didn't even have the decency to show up and twist the knife himself. He did it while sitting at a press conference in Winnipeg to announce the team was being moved. Yeah I know it doesn't change the facts, but the NHL should have been in Atlanta with a press conference explaining exactly why they are moving.

My guess.. the people in Phoenix will hear about the team being moved from a press conference in Quebec City, and then the Mayor will check the CoG's bank account and find the $20M gone with a "thanks for doing business with us" note left in its place.

Sorry if I sound cynical. A long time listening to Bettman will do that to you.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:56 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Bettman said CoG he plays "all in".

He will leave "all out".

Old
03-28-2013, 10:15 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Cdn Group has been in contact with NHL and are considered lead group in purchase. Key names in group are Anthony Leblanc and George Gosbee.

Gosbee is head of AltaCorp Capital and Vice Chair of AIMCo, a $70 Billion investment Fund. Word is they are finalizing a proposal with NHL.

Source: https://twitter.com/JSportsnet
My understanding is that Matt Hulsizer is attempting to bring the Canadian oil interests into the proposal to keep the team in Glendale! The idea being that they would work out a lower purchase price(say 140MM) with the remaining 30MM paid over five years based on performance of the market! A five year lease with COG, and dependent upon performance a put option back to the league or the ability to relocate! Hard to believe the COG would go for the five years!

Secondarily, the Coyotes have 15 UFA`s coming up at the end of the year, including all of the coaches with no contracts! The league better get this squared away sooner than later or all that will be left of this team will be bones and cartilage!

Old
03-28-2013, 10:19 AM
cbcwpg

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/91...on-source-says

The group hopes to close the deal as early as next week after which they would work with the City of Glendale to hammer out a new lease agreement at Jobing.com Arena where the Coyotes play.

Like I said, buying the team is the easy part. The fun begins when you try to get $15M / year and an out-clause ( rumored ) from the CoG.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:31 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
I really dont know, almost impossible to even speculate about as its so far out in left field as to be... well... unbelievable. Gosbee could absorb the losses sure, but he's no fool, why would he? I'm not even aware of him having some undying passion for the game of hockey, not overly ego driven, low key in fact so thats out. Certainly you'd want control of the AMC, enjoined with the club no matter what unless were looking at some kind of new hybrid business model. Frankly without verification from Gosbee or his spokespersons Im inclined to think this is either false or possibly only partially true, that maybe LeBlanc has had conversations with the guy that have been positive or whatever, jumping the gun, running his mouth. Just doesnt make sense. Why now as well? The teams been available for 4yrs, and why Phoenix? That guy wanted in, couldve grabbed any number of teams. Could be some deep waters here though. Political ramifications, all kinds of things going on. Oil pipelines, serious tinfoil stuff.
My suspicions are raised when i hear that there are multiple parties involved in what may be a single new bid! Excuse me , but big hitters like Gosbee typically do not like small frys like MH or the Clowns involved in ownership! Honestly, what do either of these groups bring to the equation? In my eyes nothing other than their inflated egos and their need to sniff a few jock straps!

I also understand that some conversations have occurred regarding a deal between this supposed new group and the Suns management about combining resources to build a new building for both in Scottsdale!

Old
03-28-2013, 10:45 AM
halligan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/91...on-source-says

The group hopes to close the deal as early as next week after which they would work with the City of Glendale to hammer out a new lease agreement at Jobing.com Arena where the Coyotes play.

Like I said, buying the team is the easy part. The fun begins when you try to get $15M / year and an out-clause ( rumored ) from the CoG.
Hard to believe. Once the group buy the team, why would the Cog agree to give them any money after the deal is done.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:49 AM
checkerdome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
My understanding is that Matt Hulsizer is attempting to bring the Canadian oil interests into the proposal to keep the team in Glendale! The idea being that they would work out a lower purchase price(say 140MM) with the remaining 30MM paid over five years based on performance of the market! A five year lease with COG, and dependent upon performance a put option back to the league or the ability to relocate! Hard to believe the COG would go for the five years!

Secondarily, the Coyotes have 15 UFA`s coming up at the end of the year, including all of the coaches with no contracts! The league better get this squared away sooner than later or all that will be left of this team will be bones and cartilage!
I wonder if this qualifies as yet another example of the intrinsic Canadian desire to kill NHL hockey in Glendale?

Old
03-28-2013, 11:21 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
If Gosbee buys the team, what is going to do with them (keep them in Glendale or relocation)?

Old
03-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
My suspicions are raised when i hear that there are multiple parties involved in what may be a single new bid! Excuse me , but big hitters like Gosbee typically do not like small frys like MH or the Clowns involved in ownership!
Its just not adding up, your absolutely correct. This guy Gosbee is cut from entirely different cloth than a Hulsizer or Le Blanc. He's like, y'know, "real"? I somehow cant see him wanting to be "partnering up" with Le Blanc & who knows who else, but hey, anythings possible I suppose. Strikes me as being highly improbable, implausible, but then again, people can be strange... I didnt believe the Thrashers were about to be moved either. Didnt think even the NHL could be that stupid. I was wrong.... dunno... so maybe Le Blanc has had convo's with the guy mesa?. Heck, Ive had lengthy conversations with people about things like Alien bases on the Moon and in our oceans. Does that mean its real, happened & happening? Vast underground facilities. Tunnels maintained by a Neanderthal/Alien hybrid capable of shapeshifting, inter-dimensional time & space travel, what you humans call Bigfoot, Sasquatch or... oh dear, said too much.... edit function no longer working....

Old
03-28-2013, 11:24 AM
NHLfan4life
Who is PKP???

Quote:
Originally Posted by halligan10 View Post
Hard to believe. Once the group buy the team, why would the Cog agree to give them any money after the deal is done.
The new council will not agree to a GJ type deal but they're willing to work with anyone that will buy the team. LeBlanc has never been completely out of the picture and seems to be bringing people to the table. He just wants to be involved in some way since he is a hockey fan and wants them to stay in Glendale.

You can call IEH clowns but they sure are big fans of the sport. Gotta give em credit there.

Closed Thread