HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Anything Goes 7: RIP Roger Ebert

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2013, 11:47 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Congrats! PREPARE TO MISS THE BUBBLE

Will do, especially with the noisy neighbors part. Kind of got screwed in my current rental with that on both sides.

Hopefully with traffic, though I'll obviously test it before I buy just for a check.

And sorry to hear.
No need to be sorry, it's for the best anyway, and the house while awesome has some plenty of issues as well...

Yeah, the neighbors thing is tough... Really not a lot you can do, just hope there are some honest kind people there to ask. Hopefully you can at least find a place where you'd be the top floor of they setup. I'd never consider buying anything that wasn't.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:51 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
I'm on the bottom and cannot imagine taking out the garbage and moving furniture in and out from the top. Plus, I can let people in from my porch. What are the advantages of being higher up?

Old
03-27-2013, 11:54 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I'm on the bottom and cannot imagine taking out the garbage and moving furniture in and out from the top. Plus, I can let people in from my porch. What are the advantages of being higher up?
If you're buying, it's a one time deal for moving... Is it really that much of an inconvenience to walk up and down a flight of stairs to take out a single trash bag? Unless you're buying your furniture and stuff off Craigslist, anything you buy in the future can be delivered, often for free or very cheaply...

And noise. Many places aren't built well enough where you won't hear noise from the people above you, unless your'e in a high rise, but that doesn't appear to be the type of place we're talking about here.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:01 PM
coldsteelonice84

I see the noise factor for sure. Luckily it isn't a problem where I'm at. When I first moved in, I had hand me down furniture and slowly upgraded. Getting my parents old pool table today, they are moving to a house that had one and the new people at the old place didn't want it so they gave it to me for my birthday. Pretty excited for that.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:03 PM
RayP

That's awesome dude. With proper space, pool tables rock. Remember the Seinfeld episode when Frank gets a pool table?

Old
03-27-2013, 12:10 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
That's awesome dude. With proper space, pool tables rock. Remember the Seinfeld episode when Frank gets a pool table?
Yeah, I do. We've been joking about that the past week, lol. We measured well, cut out a big tarp in the same size and moved it around. It is going to be tight but it looks like it will fit just right. There is one area in the corner where it could take a little adjusting on the shot because of a support post that is like 6 inches wide but beyond that, it should be perfect, still a little nervous though. My parents hired the pool table movers that put it in though and I am sure they will know what is best even though my Dad and I have a pretty good idea of how it will be placed.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:25 PM
RayP

Quote:
Yeah, I do. We've been joking about that the past week, lol. We measured well, cut out a big tarp in the same size and moved it around. It is going to be tight but it looks like it will fit just right. There is one area in the corner where it could take a little adjusting on the shot because of a support post that is like 6 inches wide but beyond that, it should be perfect, still a little nervous though. My parents hired the pool table movers that put it in though and I am sure they will know what is best even though my Dad and I have a pretty good idea of how it will be placed.
Good luck.

How much are movers like that?

Old
03-27-2013, 12:29 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Good luck.

How much are movers like that?
I think they said $190 for the whole job, not bad IMO. The good news is that it is going in my dining room, which is adjacent to a ridiculous oversized hallway I don't even need and my family room, so there is definitely room for massaging vs. Seinfeld, where Frank put it in a room with walls around it and was ****ed from the start.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:33 PM
RayP

Quote:
I think they said $190 for the whole job, not bad IMO. The good news is that it is going in my dining room, which is adjacent to a ridiculous oversized hallway I don't even need and my family room, so there is definitely room for massaging vs. Seinfeld, where he put it in a room with walls around it and was ****ed from the start.
Nah, that's not bad at all. I constantly look at them on Craigslist, not that I even have the space, but that has always been my biggest wonder with them. Wouldn't move or set it up myself.

What color of felt? My mom has one that is a nice red. Thing is gorgeous, but she ruined the table by using it as somewhere to store stuff on top of, so now the thing is unbelievably unbalanced. You can only drain a shot down the line if you hit it so hard it doesn't have time to swerve to the middle. I can't imagine that is something that can be fixed, or if so, fixed at a reasonable price to do so.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:37 PM
coldsteelonice84

This one has grey felt and the rest is black with some silver trim.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:46 PM
RayP

Nice... don't see many tables with grey felt.

Make it glow in the dark!

Old
03-27-2013, 12:51 PM
coldsteelonice84

That's pretty cool. I never knew about that but now am looking stuff up and realizing accesorizing this is going to be a new hobby. The glow in the dark thing is pretty badass. One of my parents neighbors has a pool table light he is going to give to me and help me put in too.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:52 PM
massivegoonery

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
a domestic property is one of the most secure investments you can buy.
lol, ok.

Old
03-27-2013, 12:53 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
lol, ok.
Good argument.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:43 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Good thing I had to call my realtor for a different closing, as otherwise I would've had to wait to find out he was originally only putting together a list of condos for me to review and to potentially visit, despite the fact that I repeatedly mentioned wanting to see both and that I was leaning towards a house over a condo.

Honest mistake on his part, probably, but seems like a fairly odd thing to do.

Also, probably going to be delayed getting that to me until tomorrow due to the normal flood of work at the end of the month this industry has, but not shocked at all by that.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:50 PM
coldsteelonice84

I had a realtor too. He found some decent places. However, I did my own research too and by the end of the process, we were only looking at places I found. I'd e-mail him the addresses and tell him to set it up. I suggest you do the same, at least as part of your search. You pick half, let him pick half and I bet you like the ones you are picking better.

Old
03-27-2013, 05:55 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Got home from work and went into the bathroom to change and on the door was hanging a Kane jersey. Thank you wife!

Old
03-28-2013, 03:32 AM
massivegoonery

Didn't show up for a single class this semester, openly blew off homework that I though unimportant and took one final still drunk from the night before. Just got my grades - two As.

Either school is easier than I remember it being ~9 years ago when I did my undergrad, or DePaul CDM is just a ****ing joke.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:35 AM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Good thing I had to call my realtor for a different closing, as otherwise I would've had to wait to find out he was originally only putting together a list of condos for me to review and to potentially visit, despite the fact that I repeatedly mentioned wanting to see both and that I was leaning towards a house over a condo.

Honest mistake on his part, probably, but seems like a fairly odd thing to do.

Also, probably going to be delayed getting that to me until tomorrow due to the normal flood of work at the end of the month this industry has, but not shocked at all by that.
I've been looking at condos for the past month - it's sort of a pain in the ass.

I know that I probably should buy, but then I think - if I pay off my mortgage in 30 years or whatever, I'd still have to pay a grand each month for property tax + assessments. It's good to own property, but that seems like a strange definition of "owning" something, like buying a PSL just to be able to buy season tickets.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:57 AM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
lol, ok.
Lowest prices and mortgage rates in our lifetime, so I don't see how that's laughable.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:28 AM
RayP

Been at the doctor for 2+ hours now waiting to get a physical and still haven't been seen.

Absolute blast.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:35 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Been at the doctor for 2+ hours now waiting to get a physical and still haven't been seen.

Absolute blast.
I saw on one of those doctors shows that if you complain of respiratory problems to the clerk, you will be put ahead in line. They also said to sit as close to his/her visual plane as possible. Worth a shot I guess.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:35 PM
RayP

Quote:
I saw on one of those doctors shows that if you complain of respiratory problems to the clerk, you will be put ahead in line. They also said to sit as close to his/her visual plane as possible. Worth a shot I guess.
Hah... I'm done now. Can't complain too much, it was 3 hours I didn't have to spend at work. That, and with smartphones these days, it's not like the torture it was 10 years ago reading the same crappy magazine 20 times, on a subject you don't care about... or doing through all the drawers in the doctors office.

Although not sure that'd be a good idea to do for a physical, that I need to be signed off with a clean bill of health.

But yeah, if someone walks in with blood gushing out or difficulties breathing, someone with a rash or stomach ache is going to have to just deal with it.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:38 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Alright, going to be checking out at least two houses and three condos on Saturday. We'll see how it goes....

Old
03-29-2013, 12:44 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Yeah, that kind of stuff. I start after I get back from Miami on my NASM Certified Personal Trainer courses. Will have that completed and should have a job by October at a local gym just training whoever. Then I'm going to start completing my classes for a sports science degree, and just debating if I want to focus on strength and conditioning or athletic training. Although they're kind of similar, but that's something I want to discuss with a counselor before I decide. Should be able to complete the courses I need for that in about a calendar year.
do you have any freebie advice on building upper body strength? i'm fine w/ cardio - and i do work out with a trainer...but i fail at most upper body exercises...and i'm bad at doing them on my own...i usually screw up the form...and my trainer has told me that what i'm good at is building muscle knots in my shoulders b/c of trouble executing basic arm lists.

she says that it's not unusual for females to have trouble developing upper body strength if they have a normal gym routine (i.e. i'm not into body building).

that's my one problem at the gym...i'm fine w/ the cardio - and other trainer led exercises - but the killer is not am i apparently unable to build any upper body strength i can't even do basic exercises on my own w/o messing them up

Closed Thread