HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIII: "This Space Available"

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 11:30 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
^ It makes perfect sense, Killion. Gosbee's gos nuttin' ta do wit it.

No sense in furling the brow or scratching the head too hard until you see an actual statement from Gosbee. Until then he's just another phantom. A Ghostbee, if you will.

03-28-2013, 11:38 AM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Phoenix LXXIV: A Ghostbee of A Chance... (I'm calling it now)

Old
03-28-2013, 11:46 AM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Its just not adding up, your absolutely correct. This guy Gosbee is cut from entirely different cloth than a Hulsizer or Le Blanc. He's like, y'know, "real"? I somehow cant see him wanting to be "partnering up" with Le Blanc & who knows who else, but hey, anythings possible I suppose. Strikes me as being highly improbable, implausible, but then again, people can be strange... I didnt believe the Thrashers were about to be moved either. Didnt think even the NHL could be that stupid. I was wrong.... dunno... so maybe Le Blanc has had convo's with the guy mesa?. Heck, Ive had lengthy conversations with people about things like Alien bases on the Moon and in our oceans. Does that mean its real, happened & happening? Vast underground facilities. Tunnels maintained by a Neanderthal/Alien hybrid capable of shapeshifting, inter-dimensional time & space travel, what you humans call Bigfoot, Sasquatch or... oh dear, said too much.... edit function no longer working....
The Gosbee`s of the world are only going to do this if he has complete control, a stunningly good deal (which won`t happen, and likely would need massive help from the COG). End of the day, the $30MM + losses are far too much to overcome for a financially astute I-banker! Don`t forget, the arena location IS a huge problem not only now but for a new owner as well! This time of year the sun on the 101 is right in your eyes causing traffic to slow more than usual. But don`t take my word on that, just talk to the players, coaches and everybody else involved in the organization. They ALL live in the East valley, love practicing at the Ice Den and to a person hate the commute to the middle of nowhere. No discussions have occurred with out the question of, "when and where can we relocate in the Valley?"

Old
03-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
No discussions have occurred with out the question of, "when and where can we relocate in the Valley?"
mesa? Stahp with this Relocationist talk to Scottsdale already!!!. Problem is easily dealt with, handled. Simply install some Yosemite Sam Mudflaps on your Smartcar so the liquid asphalt doesnt wreck the undercarriage. Go to Walmart & pickup a pair of oven mitts so you can grip the wheel & just get on with it already... butter up. Hawaiian Tropic SPF 80 oughtta do the trick.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Wait...

Quote:
Paul Giblin‏@PaulGiblinAriz
LaBlanc told me about #Coyotes: “I don’t know where all these stories are coming from or who the sources are, but I’m not saying anything.”
Quote:
#Glendale mayor on #Coyotes: "We’ve been telling people now for two months to basically put something on the table and no one has done that"
On Weiers... could it actually be that the Beacon Agreement (lacking Coyotes specific metrics) is an acknowledgement of no future there or a bluff call on Bettman and the League?

Old
03-28-2013, 12:42 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
On Weiers... could it actually be that the Beacon Agreement (lacking Coyotes specific metrics) is an acknowledgement of no future there or a bluff call on Bettman and the League?
Im not sure Im following you here M4B. My understanding of the terms or concept is that Beacon is to be providing two separate RFP's. One without the Coyotes, the other with. So in the latter, they would have to be then working with potential suitors in crafting the parameters of that RFP (possibly more than one on that side of the equation if theres more than one interested group), while on a simultaneous & parallel track buyers negotiating with the NHL. One would also hope the NHL having pre-qualified these individuals or groups as having the scratch if not the experience (preferably) to actually pay for the team themselves & cover the losses moving forward. The league also providing in-put pursuant to the length of a Lease, Relocation & Arena Management Contract, fee structure etc. Furthermore, and Im speculating, but due to Beacons cozy relationship with the Reinsdorfs & Kaites, I cant help but suspect they may well be back in play, Jamison possibly, no idea really, and beyond that, this Gosbee rumour & Le Blanc, not seeing it.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan4life View Post
The new council will not agree to a GJ type deal but they're willing to work with anyone that will buy the team. LeBlanc has never been completely out of the picture and seems to be bringing people to the table. He just wants to be involved in some way since he is a hockey fan and wants them to stay in Glendale.

You can call IEH clowns but they sure are big fans of the sport. Gotta give em credit there.
Well, maybe, but they have made it clear that they'd be happy to cash in on an opportunity to manage the Jobing.com if the price is right, with or without the Coyotes.

Remember this letter from LeBlanc to Mayor Scruggs? http://www.azcentral.com/kpnx/pdf/jobing-arena-mgt.pdf

Quote:
Lakehead Yale has conceptually mapped an alternate plan for the Jobing.com arena that includes the following:
- long term management of the Jobing.com arena
- purchase and operation of a professional sports franchise to replace the existing NHL franchise to act as an anchor tenant.
- etc.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Quote:
Im not sure Im following you here M4B. My understanding of the terms or concept is that Beacon is to be providing two separate RFP's. One without the Coyotes, the other with. So in the latter, they would have to be then working with potential suitors in crafting the parameters of that RFP (possibly more than one on that side of the equation if theres more than one interested group), while on a simultaneous & parallel track buyers negotiating with the NHL.
Yeah, fuddle-fingers on my part.

What I meant was was based of Weier's quoute. More like, we're tired of waiting.

Quote:
#Coyotes will require two deals at once: Investors/NHL for the team, and investors/Glendale for arena managment. Unless the team moves...
Quote:
#Glendale just hired Beacon Sports on Tuesday to handle #Jobing.com Arena management bids and #Coyotes deals because of the long non-action.
Actually, they were hired March 4... or date of the signing of the Agreement. Made it "public" 2 days ago

Quote:
It seems highly unlikely that the #NHL is close to selling the #Coyotes without #Glendale officials knowing about it.

Last edited by Major4Boarding: 03-28-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old
03-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
What I meant was was based of Weier's quoute. More like, we're tired of waiting.
Yes its beyond a curious situation at this point in time. He seemed quite level headed & honest about the situation in that interview he did with Fox shortly after taking office. Its been noted that he has attended almost all if not all Coyotes home games along with The Who Concert, taking full advantage of the Cities Suite at thejob, though never seen in the company of prospective buyers nor even persons of influence beyond I believe John McCain (followed by a flight to Washington, possibly in lobbying efforts pursuant to Luke AFB & the F35 Contract, no idea). So I dont know. Is he is just another professional politician who feel's entitled to his entitlements without performance? Thus far thats exactly what it appears to be to me. Consolidating power in his office. Or is there some actual heavy lifting going on behind the scenes?... which I rather cynically doubt, as actions indicate otherwise, talk's cheap. Both he & the NHL owe people an update, some transparency would be nice and as promised on the campaign trail.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Mork

Send a message via ICQ to Mork
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
My guess.. the people in Phoenix will hear about the team being moved from a press conference in Quebec City, and then the Mayor will check the CoG's bank account and find the $20M gone with a "thanks for doing business with us" note left in its place.
There wouldn't be a note.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:38 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
How do you say "don't count your chickens before they hatch" en francais?

Old
03-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork View Post
There wouldn't be a note.
No, not even a Billy Reay type note. Coach & GM in Chicago from 63-77, note slipped under his door Christmas Eve, "Your Fired, clean out your desk, and on behalf of the Chicago Black Hawks... oh... never mind... just get out" from the always classy Wirtz. Curious though, who leaves $20M in escrow when legally you have every right to the money, just sitting there.

Doesnt make any sense...

Old
03-28-2013, 02:06 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
How do you say "don't count your chickens before they hatch" en francais?
We have another expression that means the same thing: "Ne pas vendre la peau de l'ours avant de l'avoir tué."

Last edited by JordanStaal#1Fan: 03-28-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old
03-28-2013, 02:06 PM
goyotes

Seriously, this could not get any stranger if I sat down and tried to write the script.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
We have another expression that means the same thing: "Ne pas tuer la peau de l'ours avant de l'avoir tué."
.. oh Boy, now ya done it, all kinds of appropriate
French Canadian sayings to describe this situation;

faire rire les poissons
to make a fish laugh

le rondelle ne roule pour lui
the puck isnt going his way

etc etc etc....

Old
03-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
We have another expression that means the same thing: "Ne pas tuer la peau de l'ours avant de l'avoir tué."
Same expression exists in German: "Verkauf das Fell nicht, ehe du den Bären erlegt hast."

Old
03-28-2013, 02:24 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
.. oh Boy, now ya done it, all kinds of appropriate
French Canadian sayings to describe this situation;

faire rire les poissons
to make a fish laugh

le rondelle ne roule pour lui
the puck isnt going his way

etc etc etc....
Born and raised French-Canadian and I've never heard the "faire rire les poissons" one.

And "la rondelle ne roule pour lui" is really "la puck ne roulait pas pour lui/eux autres/nous autres". We do use a lot of English words

Old
03-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Stanley Cup
Bettman's ice bucket

vCash: 58
Quote:
vendre*

Old
03-28-2013, 02:25 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Cup View Post
vendre*
True, true, edited

Old
03-28-2013, 02:26 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
mesa? Stahp with this Relocationist talk to Scottsdale already!!!. Problem is easily dealt with, handled. Simply install some Yosemite Sam Mudflaps on your Smartcar so the liquid asphalt doesnt wreck the undercarriage. Go to Walmart & pickup a pair of oven mitts so you can grip the wheel & just get on with it already... butter up. Hawaiian Tropic SPF 80 oughtta do the trick.
forgot about that option! that otta do the trick!!!!

Old
03-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Fourier

Just when I think this whole thing has gotten as loopy as it can get. Bam! IEH back in for another round.

Anyone who really thinks they know what will happen next in this saga is fooling themselves.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Born and raised French-Canadian and I've never heard the "faire rire les poissons" one.
Old School. Like se peter les brutelles; to burst with pride & blow off ones suspenders. Losing your pants. Pride before the fall.... yes, some fabulous old Quebecois folk sayings. But as you read french you'll see thats not the exact translation. No. The exact translation far more hilarious & rather crude. Rather like the leagues position with respect to price pursuant to the Coyotes.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:54 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Just when I think this whole thing has gotten as loopy as it can get. Bam! IEH back in for another round.

Anyone who really thinks they know what will happen next in this saga is fooling themselves.
At this point its all speculation and every bit of news can be spun any which number of ways.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Tinalera

I have to wonder, how much is Ice Edge getting paid by the NHL to pop up in the news as a partner of an ownership group-you know- "appearance fees"

Old
03-28-2013, 04:09 PM
ducks2010
I buy milk in bags

Not sure exactly what is going on but I had on yesterday's meeting/workshop/executive session video stream while working on something else... As it got to the end something very unusual happened. Instead of going into executive session to talk about Tindall's dismissal, they stayed online and in public. They explained the reasoning being that it was because Tindall and his lawyer would normally attend the executive session to discuss Tindall's package but because of the city's apparent short notice, both Tindall and his lawyer could not make it. Glendale was unwilling to reschedule to a time that Tindall and his lawyer could show up (they wanted to get on with getting rid of Tindall and not extend this mess any longer). There was a feeling that Tindall was continuing to receive full pay and benefits while this process continues to drag on. Apparently, in response, Tindall requested that the discussion happen in open public rather than in exec session which is apparently his right to request... so that he could watch it streaming online from the comfort of his pool chair... so they did it in public... Full discussion about giving Tindall the option to resign and continue to receive full pay and benefits for six months (worth $186K) and glowing recommendations or if not terminate him and give him just what they are legally obligated to give him. oh ya... they also discussed allowing him to keep his cell phone and number. Weiers said he didn't understand what the big deal was because he just bought his wife a phone for 50 bucks. They also set a deadline of this Monday at noon for him to get back to them so that this doesn't drag any longer. Anyways... I just went back and I can't seem to find the video anywhere online now.

Closed Thread