Notices

Alexander Burmistrov

Old
03-24-2013, 02:18 PM
KCjetsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post

I am starting to worry however that his offensive game is not going to develop to the extent that we thought it might. I really expected more from him upon his return to the lineup.

I still think he will end up being a very valuable player for us, but I was hoping for a dynamic 2 way player and I'm starting to wonder if that will happen.
he doesn't have a great shot, so i'm not sure that expecting him to produce points with the linemates he's been put with is realistic.

I think it's fair though that one might think he'd be nothing more than an average offensive player who's strong defensively.

KCjetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 11:49 PM
TheJet39

1st post here, been lurking for a while, and over that lurking period, from what I've read around here I think too much is being made of him "not having a shot". Last game he actually fired a few with some velocity, and if you go back to last season he had a few memorable snipes with a bit of power. When he shoots with confidence it is not weak, in my opinion.

Also, on the previous page someone said they hoped to see Kane/Scheiefele/Burmi in the future, and I love that. Burmi always seems to naturally find himself along the right side, it seems like he feels comfortable there. I don't see what the big deal about him being off-wing is either. It gives him better shooting angles, which I think benefits a guy like him.

TheJet39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:12 AM
Snot Rocket
HF anti-tank squad

vCash: 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJet39 View Post
1st post here, been lurking for a while, and over that lurking period, from what I've read around here I think too much is being made of him "not having a shot". Last game he actually fired a few with some velocity, and if you go back to last season he had a few memorable snipes with a bit of power. When he shoots with confidence it is not weak, in my opinion.

Also, on the previous page someone said they hoped to see Kane/Scheiefele/Burmi in the future, and I love that. Burmi always seems to naturally find himself along the right side, it seems like he feels comfortable there. I don't see what the big deal about him being off-wing is either. It gives him better shooting angles, which I think benefits a guy like him.
Welcome...and good first post.

I agree, he did shoot with some heat behind his shots last game. I have said it before, the best thing the Jets management could do is get him to Gary Roberts for the summer and have him pack on 10lbs of meat. He has the skill, he is ripped but his body needs more muscle mass. His shot accuracy is good, he just needs more meat for the heat on his shot (that's what she said).
I think that Scheifele would be that bridge of North South with Kane and Burmi's east west tendencies. Burmi has been making recent strides @ North South but they are never going to totally break his East/West instinct...but perhaps hybrid him to a Northwest/Southeast if he is on the RW.
I can imagine the chaos that line would cause for the opposing line and defenesemen.

Snot Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:21 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

I really hope he starts to develop some offensive consistency to his game. That will silence a lot of the naysayers and will help this team greatly. Imagine if he could pot 20 and 45 -50 pts. This team needs that offensive support.

Until then though, I fear management will sour on him and move him out for someone proven or get a high draft pick and get a player they like better.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:50 AM
TheJet39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snot Rocket View Post
Welcome...and good first post.

I agree, he did shoot with some heat behind his shots last game. I have said it before, the best thing the Jets management could do is get him to Gary Roberts for the summer and have him pack on 10lbs of meat. He has the skill, he is ripped but his body needs more muscle mass. His shot accuracy is good, he just needs more meat for the heat on his shot (that's what she said).
I think that Scheifele would be that bridge of North South with Kane and Burmi's east west tendencies. Burmi has been making recent strides @ North South but they are never going to totally break his East/West instinct...but perhaps hybrid him to a Northwest/Southeast if he is on the RW.
I can imagine the chaos that line would cause for the opposing line and defenesemen.
Thanks!

And I agree with what you said about Scheifele being the bridge. I also feel even just playing with those guys the points will come for Burmi, with less pressure.

I think playing with Kane for the period he did this year put too much pressure on him. He was suddenly on the second line with Kane, and no one. Antro isn't a second liner at all, and the pressure was on him to set up Kane as well as score himself, and he's not ready to shoulder that. I would have liked to see him on the third line with Antro and Wellwood, and still would. Less pressure to score, he can play his defensive game, and play with two veterans while he learns and develops, and playing with Wellwood couldn't hurt his chances at scoring some goals. Right now though, I cringe seeing him out there with Thorburn lol. But that's my two cents.

Ultimately though, I do think he's a RW'er. His confidence is at it's highest when he's streaking down the ice outside, and I've noticed he's less likely to go East/West from the outside.

Like you said he's been making strides in that area, hopefully last game was a sign of things to come!

TheJet39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:52 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJet39 View Post

His shot is average to below average, pretty slow release, poor accuracy.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:05 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
His shot is average to below average, pretty slow release, poor accuracy.
I agree. In fact, although I don't know how the Jets' shooting percentage stacks up across the league, it seems that they could use a few more players with excellent shooting skills. Scheifele and Trouba look like they might bring some improvement in that department.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:42 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I agree. In fact, although I don't know how the Jets' shooting percentage stacks up across the league, it seems that they could use a few more players with excellent shooting skills. Scheifele and Trouba look like they might bring some improvement in that department.
5v5 sh% - 8.1%
20th in league
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_team_...8+19+20+21+22#

Although, it's been shown that only generational talents can cause sustained team shooting percentages... In the NHL currently the only one shown sustained OnIce-Sh% is Malkin, Crosby and Stamkos and that only increases the team while they're on the ice (obviously).
Remember every team has fourth line plugs and defensemen shooting all the way from the blueline.
That's why high team sh% is usually a sign of a team over performing.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:59 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post

These aren't exactly goals from someone with a bad shot.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:08 PM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Burmistrov has the ability to snipe some pretty nasty goals, unfortunately he doesn't get in good shooting positions very often because he tries to be more of a playmaker and his sound 2-way game doesn't fit well with being a sniper.

AND he lacks confidence in his shots unfortunately.

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:20 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
Burmistrov has the ability to snipe some pretty nasty goals, unfortunately he doesn't get in good shooting positions very often because he tries to be more of a playmaker and his sound 2-way game doesn't fit well with being a sniper.

AND he lacks confidence in his shots unfortunately.
More or less, yes. In time it'll all come around.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:34 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
More or less, yes. In time it'll all come around.
(I think) I remember some of the big Colt fans on our board were saying that Burmistrov was thought of a great shot in his junior days. It's interesting to see how things change.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 844
Just timing maybe. Seems he either lets it go from too far out, or waits too long and gets in too close and the angles are gone.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:41 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

vCash: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Just timing maybe. Seems he either lets it go from too far out, or waits too long and gets in too close and the angles are gone.
I think that's spot on. He does have a great wrister, but unlike Kane and Ladd, he takes FAR too long to release it. They have great shots, and release them so quickly that there's also an element of surprise.

Similar to what Scheifele has done with his shot this year: hard, quick release at the net.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:09 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

vCash: 1045
He is like TOR's Nazem Kadri without the physicality or chirpiness.

Nifty mittens, likes to dangle, great at take-aways and maintaining possession, defensively sound. Could do more offensively, has the tools for the job, but overall, no negative aspects to the game.

I am assuming he is in Noel's doghouse because of either off-ice reasons or he disagreed with the coach on something.

There was a blog on behindthenet.ca recently extolling the advanced stats on Burmi. He has great stats all-around, supporting the claim of on-ice possession and not only that, but 14 of the 16 Jets players he has the most ice-time with this season have better stats in all categories when on the ice with Burmistrov compared to playing without him.

In summary, Burmistrov is a great asset to the team, with a lot of his benefits coming in the form of "smart" plays rather than direct contributions in terms of goals. He's only 21 too, so he has a long future in the NHL in store for him.

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:11 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
(I think) I remember some of the big Colt fans on our board were saying that Burmistrov was thought of a great shot in his junior days. It's interesting to see how things change.
A big shot in junior hockey is a lot different than a big shot at the pro level. Watching Burmi shoot I see a guy pushing the puck.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Snot Rocket
HF anti-tank squad

vCash: 1316
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
I think that's spot on. He does have a great wrister, but unlike Kane and Ladd, he takes FAR too long to release it. They have great shots, and release them so quickly that there's also an element of surprise.

Similar to what Scheifele has done with his shot this year: hard, quick release at the net.
Agreed.

Last game though; he had a quick release off a wrister, more instinctual shot vs. putting the lean on and holding it for 2 seconds. He needs to start shooting smartly and more often rather than looking for the play all the time. Take a page from Kaner and be a little greedier.
Where the Jet's have found a little more success this year is less attempts at multiple pass plays when there was a good shot to be had. They do it still, but thankfully it does not seem nearly as often.

I think by this point next year we will see an improvement...providing he does not get dealt...I would not be surprised to see 40+ point year from him if he is inserted in a stable line...perhaps more if he is Kane/TheSheif/Burmi line.
Love that idea...

Snot Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:08 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Perception is reality. Just because people "think" his shot sucks, doesn't mean it does. It's not his accuracy or power that is the problem, but, like others are saying, perhaps timing.