HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sykora signs with oilers (merged)

Old
08-11-2006, 12:03 PM
JDNYR11

vCash: 500
Sykora signs with oilers (merged)

from tsn

JDNYR11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 12:05 PM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNYR11 View Post
from tsn
good for the Rangers!
yes... he will be missed on shoot-outs... but otherwise, bring in the kids!

EDIT: Here is the link to TSN http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=173939&hubname=

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 12:09 PM
Melrose_Jr.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=173939&hubname=nhl

Per the article, signing is contingent on passing the physical.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 12:25 PM
eco's bones

Looking at what he made last year (3 mill range) and considering he probably wanted a raise and pretty sure that he at least initially thought himself worthy of a long term contract and considering the last month or so of pretty ineffective play I'm not all that bothered about him signing with Edmonton. Bringing him back with a cut in pay for one year might have been alright but otherwise sayonara.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Synergy27

Well, there goes my theory. He'll be back here by the trade deadline though .

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Larry Melnyk

....and borrowing a phrase from Monty Python....."And there was much rejoicing!"...OK, I know some people wanted him so, SOME rejoicing...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 12:43 PM
Levitate

never felt there was much of a chance for him to re-sign once we saw the Rangers bringing in guys like Cullen and Shanahan. Seems like the Rangers weren't interested at all

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 12:46 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Not surprising.

08-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
never felt there was much of a chance for him to re-sign once we saw the Rangers bringing in guys like Cullen and Shanahan. Seems like the Rangers weren't interested at all
Same here. The soft/finesse style wasn't very successful at the end of the day. A lot of our guys took a hell of a beating all season long, and you have to wonder how much of that factored into the late season collapse. Sykora, while talented, is just another soft, inconsistent player for other teams to knock around. With Cullen/Shanahan we have the same skill but with a bit of sandpaper thrown in for when things get rough. I liked Sykora, but am glad to see him play elsewhere.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 12:52 PM
se7en*

Hi! What kind of player is Sykora? WIll he thrive in Edmonton? We have a pretty deep offense, and maybe he'll love the ice at Rexall.

Thanks for your time.

se7en* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Fletch

Sykora does have talent...

I wasn't a huge fan of his in NY. Perhaps he wasn't used properly/enough and didn't really get going. I think he will play well in the right situations and with the right people. Supposedly he plays the point, which should help out you guys, but he didn't play the point in NY. He seems like a guy who may play well if kept happy. I don't know; something seemed to be missing when he was a Ranger, yet he loved it here.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:16 PM
DutchShamrock

At the end of the day he just didn't do that much. Listless shifts and a whole lot of this and that that produced very little. I think the whole shootout thing is being over emphasized. I mean Malik got it done too, so would that justify him being on the team if that is all he brought? 2 months into the season most of the Sykora fans will not remember him. He won't do much in Edmonton and we have more avenues for prospects. Oh yeah, $3m in cap space helps too.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
Hi! What kind of player is Sykora? WIll he thrive in Edmonton? We have a pretty deep offense, and maybe he'll love the ice at Rexall.

Thanks for your time.
His main strength is his shot, so if the Oilers can basically use him as a triggerman then he'll probably work out well. He doesn't carry the puck or cycle the puck particularly well, but he can certainly let it fly.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:31 PM
robnmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNYR11 View Post
from tsn
good, who cares, he didn't bring that much anyway.

robnmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:34 PM
DontStaal

well its not a surprise.. we all pretty much knew this when we signed Shanahan and Cullen... now we have room for Prucha on the 2nd line and some young guns

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:36 PM
True Blue

He's a good systems player, simply put. On a team that had a system, but not a good mix up front, his uneven performance stood out. In the right system, he will make for a good 2nd line RW. His ability to play the point on the PP was never utilized by Renney. He could fit in nicely on the 2nd line with the Oil.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:50 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post

Thanks for your time.
If we used him right (PP point instead of Ozo ) and he wasn't behind Jagr on the depth chart, things would've been alot different.

Oh yea, and if he didn't hit the 4 to 5 posts on open nets against Jersey in POs. Once a devil always a devil in my book.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
At the end of the day he just didn't do that much. Listless shifts and a whole lot of this and that that produced very little. I think the whole shootout thing is being over emphasized. I mean Malik got it done too, so would that justify him being on the team if that is all he brought? 2 months into the season most of the Sykora fans will not remember him. He won't do much in Edmonton and we have more avenues for prospects. Oh yeah, $3m in cap space helps too.
Comparing him to Malik is completely unfair. Malik scored one flukey, albeit awesome, shootout goal. Sykora was money in the shootout, and it can be argued that he almost singlehandedly delivered the Rangers about 8 standings points with that nasty backhand move.

The argument that he disappeared in the playoffs doesn't do it for me either. He was more snake-bitten than invisible. How many posts did he hit against the Devils? Now I agree that the signings of Shanahan and Cullen have made Sykora expendable, but to claim that he "won't do much in Edmonton" is pretty baseless. I think he will be quite successful there.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 02:07 PM
J-Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post
Well, there goes my theory. He'll be back here by the trade deadline though .

J-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
good for the Rangers!
yes... he will be missed on shoot-outs... but otherwise, bring in the kids!

EDIT: Here is the link to TSN http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=173939&hubname=
There's still only room for Immonen and that's it interms of new kids.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 02:57 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
There's still only room for Immonen and that's it interms of new kids.
You assume that no one who played last year will get beat out. Having a spot guaranteed for someone who's never played in (or never played more than ten games in) the NHL before camp even starts is a pretty fair commitment to youth, my friend. Between injuries and guys getting beaten out, I think we're more than likely to have 3 or 4 "new" guys on the roster starting the season. It's not like yoots only count if they replace guys who are 33.

Even if my prediction doesn't happen and it's only Immonen, don't forget that the bottom two lines are basically composed of 24-26 year olds and you've also got Prucha, Toots and Lundqvist playing major roles on the team. No need to force feed additional kids into the lineup - they'll get in when they're ready.

Besides, who would you prefer to dump of the vets on the roster? Rozsival is honestly the only guy I'm not thrilled about, but I can live with him, especially with his contract and the fact that he's relatively young himself. (Nylander and Straka drive me crazy, but they are incredibly effective with Jags, despite boned scoring chances and passing when they should shoot.)

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 08-11-2006 at 03:07 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 05:34 PM
shoothepuck

Good luck with the Oilers, glad he's not in NY, Sather needs to stop signing ex-Devils.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 05:37 PM
greasch#4

When Prucha went down last year Sykora went on a tear and picked up the slack. He sputtered down the stretch though. He is a sniper and is deadly with tht quick little backhand flick shot. The West is more physical than the East though so he might be a little less effective in Edmonton.

greasch#4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasch#4 View Post
The West is more physical than the East though so he might be a little less effective in Edmonton.
Since when?

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
And also, this is addition by subtraction.

How the **** this guy got anywhere near 3M is so far beyond me it's not even funny.

Everyone should bow down and praise Slats for not giving up that kind of money for Sykora.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote