HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Apartment Living and Equipment

Old
03-25-2013, 01:12 PM
MeltingPlastic

vCash: 500
Apartment Living and Equipment

So i've been living in apartments the past 4+ years that I've been out of college. My one apartment had a porch I kept my equipment in and my current one i rent a storage unit monthly to keep my equipment in (along with some other miscellaneous stuff), the apartment i am looking to move into does not have any storage units or any place I can keep the equipment (I'm not keeping it in my car like I did in college). What do guys who live in apartments do about their equipment? My storage unit smells horrible like hockey equipment and I don't want that smell in my living space.

MeltingPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:46 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Keep everything on one of these by the window at all times:

http://www.hayneedle.com/product/hon...FUXf4AodJlsADA

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 01:51 PM
MeltingPlastic

that doesn't do anything for the smell though, all my equipment gets hung up as it is anyway

Old
03-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Rink Bum

Rocket Sports Dryer

http://rocketsportdryer.com/

It will speed up drying and keep the odour somewhat contained. Nothing revolutionary but compact and does the job really well.

More cheaper route would be to dry your gear out in your apartment, pack it up in your hockey bag, and then buy a big sturdy plastic bag or plastic storage container to enclose your hockey bag. This will prevent your gear from stinking up your apartment.

Last edited by Rink Bum: 03-25-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: add other info
Rink Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:19 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltingPlastic View Post
that doesn't do anything for the smell though, all my equipment gets hung up as it is anyway
Unless you wash the equipment, the smell will remain. By keeping that rack by the open window, the smell (stench, according to my family members) is manageable.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 02:45 PM
hitmanjat

I have a Grit Hockey Tower I open it up spray my gear down with Febreze and put a fan on it, works for me.

hitmanjat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:37 PM
RedWinger10

Put you equipment in either a space bag or one of those giant storage bags made by ziploc. Then put that in your hockey bag. That should porvide a great odor shield and you should be able to keep your hockey bag anywhere.

RedWinger10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Hank4Hart

i have 3 sets of goalie gear at home right now in a 800 square feet apartment...

Hank4Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 06:07 PM
SkateThroughIt

My apartment came with a coat closet behind the front door. I loaded that up with 5 scented dehumidifiers and put all my hockey gear in that. My coats go in my regular closet.

Im moving in with a buddy soon and were thinking about forking over the $$$ for an extra bedroom just for our gear.

SkateThroughIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:40 PM
OpenIceHit42

I usually leave mine in the car except for the jerseys. On the weekends (if it's nice outside) I'll open the bag and spread the gear out on my patio. If my fiancee is working during the week at night I'll bring it in for a few hours, spread it throughout the bathroom and turn the exhaust fan on.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 07:40 PM
Wooty

Hang it up and put a fan blowing on it until it dries. Then pack it for next game.

Wooty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 08:10 PM
Pog Form

This is basically a copy and paste from a post of mine from a while ago, but in addition to hanging or spreading out your gear somewhere, buy a dehumidifier and run it close by for a few hours after you play. It does an amazing job, works best in small spaces, and you'll be shocked/disgusted by how much liquid it pulls out of your gear. If I play at night and turn my dehumidifier on when I get home, my gear is bone dry in the morning. Honestly, one of the best hockey investments I've ever made.

If your stuff stinks right now, wash it first before starting to use a dehumidifier. The stink will stay away for the most part.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 09:58 PM
MASE THE ACE

Mint rubbing alcohol kills all smells.

MASE THE ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:11 AM
hyster110

bathroom, a dehumidifier and turn on your bathroom fan, leave it on overnight or for 24 hours, then pack your gear away, you will be good to go

hyster110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We talked about this here

Two steps:

1. Get rid of the smell by washing your gear. Fill the tub up with warm water and some detergent and a little bleach. I wash my pants, elbows, and shin guards. Used to wash my gloves, not anymore. Don't wash your skates. Rinse them well. That should get most of the stink out. Spread the gear out and let it dry. I use a $20 wire rack from Target.

2. Dry your gear after games to prevent the smell from returning. Use that wire rack and set everything on it. Then spray it with some Febreze or rubbing alcohol. Set up a fan to blow on the gear to help dry it, and if you have an exhaust fan in your bathroom, turn it on, close the door, and let it go overnight.

Back in my old apartment, I washed my gear every few months and dried it as described right when I got home and it acquired very little smell.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:13 AM
hyster110

i personally would leave the skates alone, just air them out and make sure they are completely dry

hyster110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 02:10 PM
jaysoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWinger10 View Post
Put you equipment in either a space bag or one of those giant storage bags made by ziploc. Then put that in your hockey bag. That should porvide a great odor shield and you should be able to keep your hockey bag anywhere.
Do not do this, please. Yes, it's an odor shield, but your gear will still reak and it's not solving the problem as mold is more inlclined to grow.

Man up, and wash your gear.

jaysoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:20 PM
JR97

Same situation. I've got the Shock Doctor Bag and blower. I live in a relatively dry climate and it takes 1.5 cycles to dry my gear. I run it in the bathroom with the window open and fan on (even in winter). Works great for me although a lot of people swear the Shock Doctor system sucks. I don't put my skates in there since those can dry quickly on their own and that frees up a little room for air circulation in the bag.

I used my bag and blower at a tournament this weekend. I had dry gear for every game.

I"ve looked at the rocket dryer setup. Pretty fancy.

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Bexlyspeed

my ice equipment has not left the bag since 2007, unless I'm playing of course.
i have one of those shop doctor bags with the heater/ionizer that attaches to it, it dries the equipment and eliminates the smell. my gear is as good as the day i got it

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:39 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Shock doctor bag and actually washing stuff on occasion has worked for me. Drying stuff out after every game rather than letting it fester in the bag is the most important part, regardless of how you do it. If you're just throwing the bag somewhere, you're gonna have some seriously nasty gear.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:50 PM
n3gkiwi

Funny I had this problem after moving in with my old lady in our apartment... after a year we are soon moving into a townhouse. Hockey equipment in an apartment is a pain (I even had a 2nd bathroom to dry it in). It just doesn't work that well.

n3gkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:12 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltingPlastic View Post
So i've been living in apartments the past 4+ years that I've been out of college. My one apartment had a porch I kept my equipment in and my current one i rent a storage unit monthly to keep my equipment in (along with some other miscellaneous stuff), the apartment i am looking to move into does not have any storage units or any place I can keep the equipment (I'm not keeping it in my car like I did in college). What do guys who live in apartments do about their equipment? My storage unit smells horrible like hockey equipment and I don't want that smell in my living space.
Just tell the ladies you bring over that it's the smell of raw testosterone

What I used to do when I was living alone was keep a laundry rack in the bathroom. After a game I would throw the stuff on a rack in the bathroom (pretty much making the bathroom usuable for the night.... pretty crowded) and go to sleep.

In the morning you can move it out of there and the smell won't be as bad. You will definitely have to wash your gear a little more regularly though.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Just tell the ladies you bring over that it's the smell of raw testosterone
Ha, my girlfriend absolutely loves how I smell after I work out, but after hockey I am not allowed anywhere until I shower.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:35 PM
MeltingPlastic

Most girls I date have dated hockey players in the past so they know that a smell is involved after playing and with the equipment. I'll look into one of those dryer systems which may help but as i said, i lay out my equipment now as it is after every skate and it still smells.. I won't deny most of it is over 10 years old (i wish mom and dad were still paying for my gear haha) so they may just need a good cleaning and a fresh start!

Old
03-28-2013, 01:27 PM
SCritical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Ha, my girlfriend absolutely loves how I smell after I work out, but after hockey I am not allowed anywhere until I shower.
When you and your significant other have both played hockey and then get together...believe me that's a whole new level of nasty

ahem, back on topic...my gear stays outside mostly because I live in a sharehouse and my roommates don't want to smell my gear all day. The bag just open on my porch, and I keep my sticks inside. Of course in this part of Australia the temperature tends to be pretty mild, so that isn't an issue. Although I keep the bag closed at night to keep spiders out

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote