HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBC: The Devil You Know

Old
08-11-2006, 01:34 PM
24Cups

vCash: 500
CBC: The Devil You Know

"Two well-placed sources say Bell Globemedia, which owns CTV and TSN as well as The Globe and Mail and part of the Toronto Maple Leafs, is likely to proffer a bid that the CBC may find impossible to match -- $140-million a year for 10 years, for a total of $1.4-billion. That would be for everything: Canadian English-language broadcast rights, cable rights, French-language rights and ownership of Internet streaming." William Houston, Globe and Mail Aug. 11, 2006

Bell Globemedia = TSN = Maple Leafs. That explains the "Toronto" in TSN. Don't expect many english Saturday night broadcasts of Les Canadiens unless they are playing the Leafs, if this deal goes through.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:35 PM
HabsUnited

Memo to Gillett: buy the rights to HNIC.

HabsUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:36 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
"Two well-placed sources say Bell Globemedia, which owns CTV and TSN as well as The Globe and Mail and part of the Toronto Maple Leafs, is likely to proffer a bid that the CBC may find impossible to match -- $140-million a year for 10 years, for a total of $1.4-billion. That would be for everything: Canadian English-language broadcast rights, cable rights, French-language rights and ownership of Internet streaming." William Houston, Globe and Mail Aug. 11, 2006

Bell Globemedia = TSN = Maple Leafs. That explains the "Toronto" in TSN. Don't expect many english Saturday night broadcasts of Les Canadiens unless they are playing the Leafs, if this deal goes through.
So we won't see any difference with CBC then.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:37 PM
habfan4

Doesn't CTV provide regional coverage? I would think that they'd offer a better chance than the CBC (certainly additional cable TV options) for Habs fans outside of Quebec to see the Canadiens, likewise the other Canadian franchises.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:39 PM
CaptCrunch

Nothing to see here!

Last edited by CaptCrunch: 08-11-2006 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Dumbass post
CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:40 PM
David_99

So Bell Globemedia wants to buy the CBC? Doesn't the government own the CBC? Don't we pay the government for the CBC? Shouldn't we be seeing some $ from Bell Globmedia?

David_99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:42 PM
bayrider

Bell Globe Media also owns RDS... so technically I dont see anythong wrong there. Why would BGM not continue french broadcasts of Habs games when it owns RDS. Basically they're buying the english rights to the games, they already own the french rights.

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:

This could be a good thing if Bell decides that they will use both the CTV network and TSN to show HNIC. That way, they can put the leaf game on CTV and the hab games on TSN and work the sens in too perhaps regionally. I'm only talking about the staurdays here.

No way CBC will match this kind of offer IMO. Their sports dept has been slowly evaporating to the increased competition and it was only a matter of time before they lost HNIC.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Habber

Sounds fine to me.

TSN hockey has been getting better and better, while CBC has been getting worse and worse.

Plus you know if the NHL jumps ship to TSN/CTV, Ron McLean, Don Cherry, etc won't be far behind. (see: Brian Williams & Olympics)

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 02:15 PM
L'abstrait

Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayrider View Post
Bell Globe Media also owns RDS... so technically I dont see anythong wrong there. Why would BGM not continue french broadcasts of Habs games when it owns RDS. Basically they're buying the english rights to the games, they already own the french rights.
Man I just wish we were back in the days when you didnt need cable to watch a freakin' hockey game!

Those were the days.

L'abstrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 02:18 PM
yukoner

Quote:
ANd that woudl be different than CBC in what way??

*granted the new CBC schedule looks much better than last years*

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 02:25 PM
bayrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'abstrait View Post
Man I just wish we were back in the days when you didnt need cable to watch a freakin' hockey game!

Those were the days.
Well, times change. Having cable should be like owning a phone nowadays. I'd buy cable just to watch the Habs!

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 02:44 PM
wpg_habsfan

It's definitely going to be weird if CTV/TSN gets hockey night in Canada. They should bring the cast from CBC over, because if they don't it wouldn't feel very good to have Pierre McGuire on as coach for Coach's Corner.

wpg_habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 02:49 PM
VanNistelrooy

All I want is Jim Hughson.

This guy rocks everytime I listen a Hockey game in english.

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 03:32 PM
deandebean

What's wrong with that? Forget about the Laffs, it's about Bell Globemedia. Already owners of RDS, like someone said. It'll be perfect. It would mean that the Habs would be on the main tv network d'un océan à l'autre again.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
This would be a good move IMO... I don't get all the hating.

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 05:43 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
This would be a good move IMO... I don't get all the hating.
I agree it will be a good move for hockey fans in general (I grow/grew tired of CBC's staid product). Although I am not sure that CTV will regionalize a Saturday night game, so you can expect as much of a dose of the Leafs in english on that night as you saw this year (and was much maligned on this board).

There is no hating, it's all about the irony of the CBC being a public entity and critisized for being Toronto-centric while a Leaf-owned (partially) competitor is about to outbid CBC to broadcast all hockey games in Canada.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 05:48 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

Of course, if they pay all of that money they are going to maximize their ratings.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 06:23 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
That means no more games on Roger SportsNet, crap. They had the best regionnal coverage and we'll be stuck with 82 Leafs game on TSN, double crap...

JordanStaal#1Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 06:35 PM
optimus2861

It can't be any worse. It really can't. Does anyone think TSN/CTV would have dropped the ball on the Geoffrion situation the way CBC did? To me, that night was the absolute lowest that HNIC has ever sunk, and laid bare the Leafs-first rot that's seeped into every corner of the production.

So let HNIC die. It hasn't been worthy of the name for some time now anyway.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 02:39 AM
HABitual

Quote:
Don't expect many english Saturday night broadcasts of Les Canadiens unless they are playing the Leafs, if this deal goes through.
I don't even remember the last time CBC Montreal aired a Montreal game

HABitual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 03:07 AM
Kirk Muller*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Of course, if they pay all of that money they are going to maximize their ratings.
Exactly.

When Montréal starts being a good team again, they will become a big TV draw and CTV/TSN will be able to attract ratings of one million and more for their regular season games, let alone the playoffs. People should remember that as a corporate broadcaster, Bell Globemedia will be much more sensitive to market needs than a public broadcaster like CBC that just gets its annual billion dollar cheque from the government.

Hockey is a cash cow for TV networks in Canada. Expect to get all 82 games on RDS and many more on TSN and CTV.

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 03:18 AM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual View Post
I don't even remember the last time CBC Montreal aired a Montreal game
Nationally? Hockey Day in Canada, so not too long ago. Short memory eh?

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Anthony P

Wasn't TSN purchased by ESPN a while back?

Anthony P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2006, 01:35 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
Wasn't TSN purchased by ESPN a while back?
I thought so too, cause their logo is now the same font, and of course the change from Sports Desk to Sports Center.

David_99 is online now   Reply With Quote