HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Cristobal Huet vs David Aebischer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-11-2006, 12:47 PM
  #1
viasyncro
Registered User
 
viasyncro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 201
vCash: 500
Cristobal Huet vs David Aebischer

I was just reading an article written by Brian Rosenbaum from Rotoworld.com. He was giving his thoughts on the upcoming goaltending battles in the league. Here is what he had to say about Montreal.


Conventional Wisdom: If money talks, Huet will start the season as the Habs’ number one, as he will out-earn Aebischer by about $900,000 in 2006-07.

Rotoworld Predicts: Huet will struggle out of the gate and Aebsicher will re-establish himself as a starter.


What do you think? My opinion is Huet keeps top spot and Aebsicher takes over during his slumps...


http://www.rotoworld.com/content/fea...&article=24309

Huet

Year Sv%
2005-06 .929
2004-05 .915
2003-04 .907
2002-03 .913

Aebischer

2005-06 .892
2004-05 N/A
2003-04 .924
2002-03 .916


Last edited by viasyncro: 08-15-2006 at 12:17 AM.
viasyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 12:52 PM
  #2
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,496
vCash: 500
Most people forget that Huet was decent in LA and great in Montreal...

Worst case scenario with Huet: he's having a decent season and split half and half with Aebi

Best case scenario with Huet: He's for real and he's having a great year...top 5 goaltender...

After all, he never had a bad season...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 12:55 PM
  #3
Jakomyte
Registered User
 
Jakomyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,085
vCash: 500
Its nice to know that the only way we are screwed in nets this year is if TWO goalies who have been at least adequate starters BOTH fail us. As long as one of them has a decent season, goaltending won't be an issue.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:02 PM
  #4
Dwight
The French Tickler
 
Dwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
Its nice to know that the only way we are screwed in nets this year is if TWO goalies who have been at least adequate starters BOTH fail us. As long as one of them has a decent season, goaltending won't be an issue.
We still have Danis after that though

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:03 PM
  #5
Shatmat*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by viasyncro View Post
I was just reading an article written by Brian Rosenbaum from Rotoworld.com. He was giving his thoughts on the upcoming goaltending battles in the league. Here is what he had to say about Montreal.


Conventional Wisdom: If money talks, Huet will start the season as the Habs’ number one, as he will out-earn Aebischer by about $900,000 in 2006-07.

Rotoworld Predicts: Huet will struggle out of the gate and Aebsicher will re-establish himself as a starter.


What do you think? My opinion is Huet keeps top spot and Aebsicher takes over during his slumps...


http://www.rotoworld.com/content/fea...&article=24309

Roll the dices. His guess is as good as yours. Personnally I don't doubt him


Last edited by Shatmat*: 08-11-2006 at 01:34 PM.
Shatmat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:20 PM
  #6
yukoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,088
vCash: 500
Have not seen Huet falter at all since joining the team mid-season, all throughout the playoffs.

He has been rock steady, and compsed, so I'm fairly confident he'll continue his play from last year. Maybe not quite as steller, but top 10 in the league for sure.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:46 PM
  #7
Montreal Typical
Registered User
 
Montreal Typical's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Moreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
We still have Danis after that though
He's barely good enough to be a backup.

Montreal Typical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:51 PM
  #8
Shatmat*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilist View Post
He's barely good enough to be a backup.
I think it's kind of early to pass such a judgement. He played what 5 games in the NHL? And got a shutout...

Shatmat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 02:02 PM
  #9
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatmat View Post
I think it's kind of early to pass such a judgement. He played what 5 games in the NHL? And got a shutout...
Ya so what,I mean Garon had like 3-4 shutouts!!! You just never know.I like Danis but there is no way he is a #1 goalie

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 02:16 PM
  #10
Shatmat*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Ya so what,I mean Garon had like 3-4 shutouts!!! You just never know.I like Danis but there is no way he is a #1 goalie
Who talked about a #1? I thought we were talking about Danis as a backup

Shatmat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 04:53 PM
  #11
JMMR
Registered User
 
JMMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,350
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Huet shutout 1st game against Buffalo!

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 10:28 PM
  #12
alexstream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by viasyncro View Post

What do you think?
Rollie will work on Aebs' positioning... If it works.. then there is no question, Aebi will clearly steal the starter job. If it doesn't, then Aebi is still the best backup in the league.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 10:57 PM
  #13
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by viasyncro View Post

Huet

Year Sv%
2005-06 .929
2005-06 .862
2004-05 .915
2003-04 .907
2002-03 .913
2002-03 .922

Aebischer

2005-06 .892
2005-06 .900
2005-06 .899
2004-05 N/A
2003-04 .924
2002-03 .916
What the hell are with these stats?

Some aren't from the NHL.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2006, 11:15 PM
  #14
Russeltown
Registered User
 
Russeltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,526
vCash: 500
If you want my opinion, i'd say that those guys are playing for the same team, they are paid to stop pucks and there's 82 games to a season. Therefore, it shouldn't Christo vs. Aebi but.. Christobal Huet + David Aebischer, which represents great goaltending for the Montreal Canadiens! Probably the best duo in the last 10 years.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 09:36 AM
  #15
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
They could be a great duo but the problems are this:

- Aebi doesn';t want to be a backup
- We're spending a lot of money on him for a backup

I think Gainey is gonna wait and see if Huet is in the same shape as last year, and if he is he'll ship Aebi to another team for either a pick or package him up with someone else for an upgrade in our top 10.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 09:44 AM
  #16
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,206
vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn View Post
If you want my opinion, i'd say that those guys are playing for the same team, they are paid to stop pucks and there's 82 games to a season. Therefore, it shouldn't Christo vs. Aebi but.. Christobal Huet + David Aebischer, which represents great goaltending for the Montreal Canadiens! Probably the best duo in the last 10 years.
well, it's only really competition is Theodore and Hackett, heh

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 11:41 AM
  #17
Russeltown
Registered User
 
Russeltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
They could be a great duo but the problems are this:

- Aebi doesn';t want to be a backup
- We're spending a lot of money on him for a backup

I think Gainey is gonna wait and see if Huet is in the same shape as last year, and if he is he'll ship Aebi to another team for either a pick or package him up with someone else for an upgrade in our top 10.
Bah, He's paid 1.9M$ to stop a ****in puck so he should stop crying that he doesn't want to be a backup. Otherwise if he wasn't in hockey there's realistic chances that he wouldn't be a millionaire.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 12:17 PM
  #18
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Most people forget that Huet was decent in LA and great in Montreal...
Worst case scenario with Huet: he's having a decent season and split half and half with Aebi
Best case scenario with Huet: He's for real and he's having a great year...top 5 goaltender...
After all, he never had a bad season...
As far as I'm concerned, they are both great goalies. Either one of them could be our starter, I just think it is great that we are strong at a position that has been weak since the departure of Roy, with the exception of Hackett. Huet earned his salary, he earned the spot as the starter and until he really plays terrible then he deserves to keep it.
On the other hand, Aebischer is a great goalie too that just happened to get caught up in the whole "Huet is god" ordeal and now has to settle as being the backup. I don't think he should be treated that way though, he should get his starts just as much as Huet. Gotta keep them both happy, or as happy as you can keep them anyways.
I think this is great for the Habs, look back to when Ottawa went with Tugnutt and Rhodes. They split the games for the most part and they both had winning seasons doing so. They had a healthy rivalry and it brought out the best in both of them.

GO HABS GO.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 12:18 PM
  #19
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
well, it's only really competition is Theodore and Hackett, heh
ok, I may be a little biased but I thought the theodore hackett duo was very good. Its the only thing we had going in the organization in the late 90's to the early 2000's.

Although, this duo does have the ability to be better... especially since this squad is much better at all positions than the theodore/hackett era.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2006, 12:19 PM
  #20
Puckhead58*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
well, it's only really competition is Theodore and Hackett, heh
That says it all right there. Theodore and Hackett was ok....except for the part where Theo played!!!!

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2006, 12:09 AM
  #21
Sthabs
Registered User
 
Sthabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,777
vCash: 500
Cristobal and David are 2 friends that will back each other up.
I remember bob sayin last year that he wasnt paying attention to the comments that were said a day or 2 after the last game because they were still too high on emotions...I really dont expect Aebi to be traded unless it s for a big one
Considering his performance first from last year, Cristo is a lil higher, and he definately deserves the spot
However who will have the spot will be decided on the ice
1.9 is a lil expensive for a number 2 but is it for a 2nd number one?
Or what would you prefer ? Huet and a number 2 making probably around even a million less, and being worried if Huet s tired, or even maybe in deep **** if he sux and we we don t have Aebi anymore?
And trading a capable number 1 goalie for a draft pick now is totally ridiculous
At least start the season and wait until his value raise
We ll have two number 1 goalies and some teams are gonna need him...
Otherwise well we will still get a pick for him....
(remember last year ?)

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.