HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Terry Ryan absolutly rocks!

Old
08-11-2006, 12:24 PM
znk

vCash: 500
Terry Ryan absolutly rocks!

He was on the team 990 today. I just got the last 15 minutes but he's one of the most entertaining person I have ever heard on the radio. That last story was just gold. Really funny guy. He would defenetly have been a fan favorite if he had panned out.

Anyone heard the whole show?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
I didnt hear him on the radio but ive seen him all week at the ball hockey championships and got a chance to talk to him because one of my friends is on his team.. he really is a nice guy.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Clumsyhab

Too bad we picked him instead of Iginla.

Clumsyhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 12:37 PM
David_99

What was the story on him anyway? I always wondered. We drafted him, then what? Was he not good enough to play for our AHL affiliate? Could he not keep up? Could he not score to save his life? What was the whole story with him?

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
What was the story on him anyway? I always wondered. We drafted him, then what? Was he not good enough to play for our AHL affiliate? Could he not keep up? Could he not score to save his life? What was the whole story with him?
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...id%5B%5D=17657

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 12:40 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Hindsight is 20/20.

I think the Habs had their sights on Doan who unfortunately got picked one spot earlier by the Jets.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 12:42 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
OUCH! Those numbers..... hurt my heart. It's stuff like this that get me pumped to finish my time machine.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
He may be a nice guy,but he is a terrible hockey player

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 12:59 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
He was on the team 990 today. I just got the last 15 minutes but he's one of the most entertaining person I have ever heard on the radio. That last story was just gold. Really funny guy. He would defenetly have been a fan favorite if he had panned out.

Anyone heard the whole show?
To me, he sounded like an immature idiot. Probably one of the reasons (of many) why he never made it.

He took a few jabs at Shane Doan because he was a born again Christian and didn't want to party with all the rest of the boys.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:17 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
To me, he sounded like an immature idiot. Probably one of the reasons (of many) why he never made it.

He took a few jabs at Shane Doan because he was a born again Christian and didn't want to party with all the rest of the boys.
Wow...get a sense of humour. He likes to have have fun. I dont know how you could have gotten that from that show.

Old
08-11-2006, 01:32 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Wow...get a sense of humour. He likes to have have fun. I dont know how you could have gotten that from that show.
I didn't find him that funny. Sorry.

Just saw an attitude issue. "The Habs hated me, nobody gave me a chance, I always put up great numbers (which is a total crock)."

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:49 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
His biggest issue is the fact my 5 year old niece could skate faster then him.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Papadice

Send a message via MSN to Papadice
From everything i've heard, Terry Ryan fell into the same trap as a lot of big name prospects do... They get drafted high, think they are the king of the world, and start to party like a rock star... I play on a team that has a player that played with Terry at the World Ball Hockey Championships and I've been told that he's a party animal... Same thing happened with Alexei Tezikov a few years back... Same with Dan Cleary... many a great prospect has been ruined by the night life...

Papadice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 02:22 PM
znk

He also had a ton of concussions.

Old
08-11-2006, 02:28 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
WCHL
ACHL ***

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Marc-E-

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Hindsight is 20/20.

I think the Habs had their sights on Doan who unfortunately got picked one spot earlier by the Jets.
You're right! I've got the video of the 95 draft and André Boudrias was sad about the pick because he and Savard really like Doan. Gainey drafted Iginla at eleven spot!

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 64
Terry Ryan , one of the many ''Power Fowards'' prospect that didn't make it.

silly newfies

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
His biggest issue is the fact my 5 year old niece could skate faster then him.
It wouldn't have kept him out of the NHL, though. At least, not before the ankle injury. He was like Latendresse in that respect. Definite weakness, not enough to make you overlook his other abilties.

The real problem with Ryan is that he just didn't get it with respect to how the Habs wanted him to behave... or by contrast, the Habs just didn't get it that they weren't going to be able to rehabilitate Ryan into one of their fine upstanding young men. That he was picked by previous management never helped him either. Basically, I'd say it was a combination of the Habs dropping the ball on his development plus injuries. If there had been any willingness in the early days on the Habs part to make some exceptions for him, try a bit harder to get through to him, he might have made it through ok. But I never got the impression that the Habs really cared to invest the effort. He was their second choice from Day 1. Ryan might have thought that a couple of years in the minors wasn't necessary, and considering the dubious "quality" of the teams in those years, he might have had a point. He didn't look out of place in training camp. He could have stayed on. But he just never "got it", and never seemed to change his attitude or learn any discipline.

Guys with those knocks *do* make it into the NHL. Ryan was no worse than some. But the Habs gave up and loaned him out, then let him walk away, and his injury troubles just kept piling up so that he never really got another chance to have a new beginning with another team, like most other players in that situation do. Bad luck all around for him. And for the Habs too, really.

Picking Iginla instead probably wasn't a very realistic alternative. At the time, Iginla had been steadily climbing up the rankings through the season, and while he might have been everybody's favourite sleeper pick in the first round, it was still something of a surprise when Dallas took him #11. He really wasn't looked at as a top-10 pick IIRC. Ryan was an absolute no-brainer for the Habs after Doan was gone. It could be seen a mile away. Unlike, say, the Carey Price pick where the Maguires of the world were shaking their head and wondering what the heck the Habs were thinking, Ryan was the player everybody was going to say "the Habs will be taking Ryan next. Serge Savard wanted Shane Doan, but Ryan has all the same attributes that the team is looking for in a big skilled PF." It was just that obvious. And most of us fans on the boards were pretty thrilled too. Hey, look at those numbers. Why not be thrilled? He was like a Latendresse sweetheart pick super-legend draft party pick. But then it all went horribly awry...

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papadice View Post
From everything i've heard, Terry Ryan fell into the same trap as a lot of big name prospects do... They get drafted high, think they are the king of the world, and start to party like a rock star... I play on a team that has a player that played with Terry at the World Ball Hockey Championships and I've been told that he's a party animal... Same thing happened with Alexei Tezikov a few years back... Same with Dan Cleary... many a great prospect has been ruined by the night life...
Ron Hainsey...

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
It wouldn't have kept him out of the NHL, though. At least, not before the ankle injury. He was like Latendresse in that respect. Definite weakness, not enough to make you overlook his other abilties.

The real problem with Ryan is that he just didn't get it with respect to how the Habs wanted him to behave... or by contrast, the Habs just didn't get it that they weren't going to be able to rehabilitate Ryan into one of their fine upstanding young men. That he was picked by previous management never helped him either. Basically, I'd say it was a combination of the Habs dropping the ball on his development plus injuries. If there had been any willingness in the early days on the Habs part to make some exceptions for him, try a bit harder to get through to him, he might have made it through ok. But I never got the impression that the Habs really cared to invest the effort. He was their second choice from Day 1. Ryan might have thought that a couple of years in the minors wasn't necessary, and considering the dubious "quality" of the teams in those years, he might have had a point. He didn't look out of place in training camp. He could have stayed on. But he just never "got it", and never seemed to change his attitude or learn any discipline.

Guys with those knocks *do* make it into the NHL. Ryan was no worse than some. But the Habs gave up and loaned him out, then let him walk away, and his injury troubles just kept piling up so that he never really got another chance to have a new beginning with another team, like most other players in that situation do. Bad luck all around for him. And for the Habs too, really.

Picking Iginla instead probably wasn't a very realistic alternative. At the time, Iginla had been steadily climbing up the rankings through the season, and while he might have been everybody's favourite sleeper pick in the first round, it was still something of a surprise when Dallas took him #11. He really wasn't looked at as a top-10 pick IIRC. Ryan was an absolute no-brainer for the Habs after Doan was gone. It could be seen a mile away. Unlike, say, the Carey Price pick where the Maguires of the world were shaking their head and wondering what the heck the Habs were thinking, Ryan was the player everybody was going to say "the Habs will be taking Ryan next. Serge Savard wanted Shane Doan, but Ryan has all the same attributes that the team is looking for in a big skilled PF." It was just that obvious. And most of us fans on the boards were pretty thrilled too. Hey, look at those numbers. Why not be thrilled? He was like a Latendresse sweetheart pick super-legend draft party pick. But then it all went horribly awry...
Agreed, I always felt that he was ready for the big show considering we were such a mediocre team. He needed to play with the big boys, not in the minors. The injuries are a byproduct of that as in the minors, the play is real dirty.

Basically if he had the same doting attention the Canadiens are giving Latendresse right now; he'd be an nhler for sure. His numbers are pretty decent, even after the injuries.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 03:16 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Hindsight is 20/20.

Absolutely right.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 11:33 PM
CrazyShea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papadice View Post
Newfies love to party
Anyways terry was on some show here in newfoundland called "redefining yourself" i think not sure.. where you work yourself back into shape and that. He's now driving the red bull truck delivering its products to the stores and george st(where im sure he spends all his time)

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 11:48 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 12:19 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyshea View Post
Newfies love to party
Anyways terry was on some show here in newfoundland called "redefining yourself" i think not sure.. where you work yourself back into shape and that. He's now driving the red bull truck delivering its products to the stores and george st(where im sure he spends all his time)
Is that what a regional director for red bull does lol? I'm pretty sure I heard him say that's what he was or something. He's also a hockey analyst for rogers tv.

Anyway here is one of the stories he told. It's pretty long and it might not translate as funny as I tought it sounded.

The year he got drafted 8 or so of the top prospects were invited for an evaluation by the washington capitals. Some of the other guys were Redden, Langkow and some guy named Rocky Thompson(who didnt think he belonged with these guys).
They get sent to some hotel and his room mate is Rocky.
They all end up going to a bar(with fake ids).
So after a couple of beers Rocky goes "Hey newf. I hear you guys are good drinkers wana have a drinking contest ?"
So Terry answered "yeah! sure."
Rocky gets up and goes take a piss. So Terry gets the waitress and tells her. "I'm going to ask for shooters. Each time I ask for one put water in mine and sambuka in his"
So they have the driking contest and after a while Rocky is totaly drunk and they bring him back to the hotel room, put him on the bed and call it a night.
The next morning he gets up early takes a shower and gets dressed. They still have one hour before they are supposed to leave to go for some interviews with the team. So he goes to Rocky who is still in bed dressed like he was the night before and he wakes him up. "Rocky WE'RE LATE!!"
Rocky gets up all stressed out runs in the bathroom and slips on the water from Terry's shower and gets a cut on his forhead. Then Terry goes ...woah woah...it's a joke we're one hour early. Rocky answers "Newf 1- Rocky 0".

They then go to the interviews with this verry old guy. You gota respect him and show class etc...so the guy asks Terry what did you do last night? Terry answers "well had a couple of beers. Went back to our rooms. I like to read but didnt have books so I picked up the bible etc...etc.." When he comes out Rocky is next and he asks him so...how did it go. Terry says "Man not so good. I tried saying all the good stuff but this guy wants to hear the real stuff, he wants to know you're part of the guys etc..." So pretty much all the other guys listen at the door and they hear Rocky being overly friendly and talk about how he got drunk the night before and was almost late for the interview. The old guy immediatly sends him out of the room. Rocky comes out and looks to Terry and says "Newf 2 - Rocky 0.

Then they have a test where they stand on a pad with sensors and there is a bouncing ball on a screen. You have to jump following the rythm of the ball. They all did that test some time before back in the WHL and Rocky had a great score. So anyway the start the tests. Reden gets like 90%, Ryan 80%, lowest score is 68%. Rocky goes and does his test. But the way it's set up the guy is on a his pad and there are computers allong a wall. Every body is watching the screens and not watching the guy jumping. So when Rocky jumps Terry taps on the pad. In the end Rocky gets 9%. He cursing and wondering.."what the hell I was good at that!" After a few moments Terry tells everyone what happend and Rocky goes.."Newf 3 Rocky 0"

A while later when they are back in the WHL Rocky's team has a game vs Terry's team. I kinda missed some details there but Terry or someone called the hotel where Rocky's team was going to stay and said "we dont need the rooms anymore we got something else blah blah blah" And the hotel manager was man..that's just great we have this convention (or event or what ever) and we need all the rooms we need. So anway at 2:30 am when Rocky's team arrives at the Hotel they have no rooms and they have to find a hotel an hour or so away. At the game Terry skates up to him and asks "So...how was your sleep last night?" And they had a fight . BTW they are good friends.

Old
08-12-2006, 12:54 AM
Habbadasher

[QUOTE=Blind Gardien;6263675]The real problem with Ryan is that he just didn't get it with respect to how the Habs wanted him to behave... or by contrast, the Habs just didn't get it that they weren't going to be able to rehabilitate Ryan into one of their fine upstanding young men. That he was picked by previous management never helped him either. Basically, I'd say it was a combination of the Habs dropping the ball on his development plus injuries. If there had been any willingness in the early days on the Habs part to make some exceptions for him, try a bit harder to get through to him, he might have made it through ok. But I never got the impression that the Habs really cared to invest the effort. He was their second choice from Day 1. Ryan might have thought that a couple of years in the minors wasn't necessary, and considering the dubious "quality" of the teams in those years, he might have had a point. He didn't look out of place in training camp. He could have stayed on. But he just never "got it", and never seemed to change his attitude or learn any discipline.

In the WHL he was one of the bigger players and this gave him more time and space to score goals. In the NHL, he was simply not big enough to warrant that kind of respect, and was not given then room he was used too, so he was never able to put up the numbers. Also, trying to get that respect, led to concussion problems.

Then the Habs tried to paint him as a goon, and he simply was not big enough for that, and his holdout one year did not help the situation.

Oh, well.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote