HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2013, 04:21 PM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
You don't need them to make the roster out of camp. You need players available to you if the need arises. If you draft all flyers, they're not going to show up for a game or two when the time comes. They're all-or-nothing.

As for Sanvido - when you're 6'6 230lbs at at 17, you're not going to be a great skater. The kid is a shut-down d-man with a wing span that darn near is the entire zone. I recall him saying he was sick at one point this year, thus his endurance wasn't what he wanted. Give him time. He's going to be good.
Well they drafted other guys in 2012 that weren't flyers and they never showed up so what does that say?

You don't need to be 6'6 230 to be a shutdown D. Harrington a shutdown D with London, Cundari was with Windsor etc.. You don't need to be a 6'6 guy to be considered a shutdown. In fact the obsession with size has become crazy Maletta 6'3 so that makes him a power forward nevermind the fact he was real soft. Hunter Smith 6'7 going to be a great power forward with a great shot, well he could never get down the ice and skate well enough to find space on the ice, Bilcke 6'3 great power forward etc.. It's time to draft talent regardless of size if there's a big time sniper out there that's 5'9 or 5'10 go and take him. It's like Rychel found success in Nemisz and Young and figured it could be duplicated, his arrogancce got the best of him obviously. In fact if you're 6'6 230 your only hope is pretty much being a shutdown D because unless you're a Seth Jones, Shea Weber who can do it all your big D can't do much else.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
Well they drafted other guys in 2012 that weren't flyers and they never showed up so what does that say?

You don't need to be 6'6 230 to be a shutdown D. Harrington a shutdown D with London
Just wanted to say that Tyler Ferry has been the best shutdown defender on London in the past couple of years, and he's even smaller than Harrington, not to mention originally being a forward. Yakupov probably still has nightmares about Ferry.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:44 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
You're not going to convince every kid who's drafted to come to the team. That's a given. I'd rather take a chance on a kid who wants to come to the O, though, than a kid who's NCAA-or-bust. At least then you've got a shot at some depth.

Old
03-27-2013, 05:07 PM
big papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaelanstorm View Post
Just wanted to say that Tyler Ferry has been the best shutdown defender on London in the past couple of years, and he's even smaller than Harrington, not to mention originally being a forward. Yakupov probably still has nightmares about Ferry.
Ferry and Hughes are really underrated on the Knights in my opinnion

Old
03-27-2013, 08:54 PM
KyGuy9

Lots of sources say that soon this trade's gonna be made official. Calgary trades Jarome Iginla to Boston for Alex Khokhlachev, Matt Bartowski and a 1st. Both Koko and Iggy healthy scratches in the AHL and NHL.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
Ferry and Hughes are really underrated on the Knights in my opinnion
Josh Anderson, Ferry and Hughes are probably the most underrated on the Knights yeah. Even Platzer and Eli are pretty high up in the draft talks from what I've seen.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:19 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyGuy9 View Post
Lots of sources say that soon this trade's gonna be made official. Calgary trades Jarome Iginla to Boston for Alex Khokhlachev, Matt Bartowski and a 1st. Both Koko and Iggy healthy scratches in the AHL and NHL.
I'm hearing it's a done deal

Old
03-27-2013, 09:27 PM
Ottomatic

Calgary got hosed. But I guess it's an Iggy rental only.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:10 PM
sbrug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomatic View Post
But Iginla's also not the player he once was. In fact, he's slowed up quite a bit this year. Seems like an OK price.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Percyma

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
I'm hearing it's a done deal
Are you listening to your same source that lead to you proclaim that you could "bank it" that the Knights were drafting Oscar Dansk in the Import Draft last year?

Old
03-27-2013, 10:26 PM
aresknights

Maybe they would have if Erie didnt scoop him

Old
03-27-2013, 11:19 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percyma View Post
Are you listening to your same source that lead to you proclaim that you could "bank it" that the Knights were drafting Oscar Dansk in the Import Draft last year?
I'm "banking it" on the rumours all over HF here and Twitter. If Phyler says something is going on, I'm going to believe him over 90% of people on here.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:23 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
That they didn't want to show in the first place. Like I said, draft kids that want to come.

Quote:
You don't need to be 6'6 230 to be a shutdown D. Harrington a shutdown D with London, Cundari was with Windsor etc.. You don't need to be a 6'6 guy to be considered a shutdown. In fact the obsession with size has become crazy Maletta 6'3 so that makes him a power forward nevermind the fact he was real soft. Hunter Smith 6'7 going to be a great power forward with a great shot, well he could never get down the ice and skate well enough to find space on the ice, Bilcke 6'3 great power forward etc.. It's time to draft talent regardless of size if there's a big time sniper out there that's 5'9 or 5'10 go and take him. It's like Rychel found success in Nemisz and Young and figured it could be duplicated, his arrogancce got the best of him obviously. In fact if you're 6'6 230 your only hope is pretty much being a shutdown D because unless you're a Seth Jones, Shea Weber who can do it all your big D can't do much else.
Where did I say you have to be big to be a shut-down D-man? I said Sanvido IS a shut-down d-man with a giant wingspan and will be a good one in time.

Maletta has potential, but injuries have really hurt his progression. Jury is out on him. Hunter Smith...I've never really had an opinion either way, though I had high hopes. I don't recall saying Bilcke is a "great power forward."

I'm still not sure why you're harping on size when I didn't say anything about needing to be big in the first place.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:30 AM
coachfluffy

I truly believe that the difference between the championship teams and the recent teams is the make up and character of the players. Through forty years of coaching and at all the coaching clinics, I have learned that every players has his own quirks on what motivates and what deflates them. It is the coaches job to discover those quirks and tweak his style of coaching to get the most out of each player.

During the good years, the players seemed to thrive on adversity and verbal beatings they were subjected to. Those that did not like the abuse asked out and were traded.

The recent years' players have shown a need to be guided and praised. They want to be treated like everyone else on the team. The few players that accept the coaches' ways have played decent but most of the others have folded or asked out. I also believe that is where the loss of DJ grows in importance. He knew when to pat on the back or kick in the ass.

Boughner's coaching techniques with the Spits would also explain his lack of success in the NHL. The pros are making too much money to be abused. Not sure if anyone remembers Wayne Maxner or not, but he had the same problem with the Red Wings. He had success in Windsor and in London but failed miserably in the NHL. He told me later that he could not change his style and the pros were no accepting of him.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:01 AM
spitz fan 4ever

Quote:
well hes on his way to pittsburgh, not boston, and they got 2 prospects and a 2013 1st rounder

Old
03-28-2013, 08:03 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
I'm "banking it" on the rumours all over HF here and Twitter. If Phyler says something is going on, I'm going to believe him over 90% of people on here.
Apparently the deal fell through once Pittsburgh entered the fray with an offer of their own. Iggy chose Pitt over Boston. When a player chooses to waive their NMC they pretty much dictate where they're gonna land. The Boston/Calgary deal was on paper as it read here...Pittsburgh upped the ante. Good on them.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:48 AM
OHLTG

You know it's a weird situation when TSN is apologizing for reporting it. I don't think anyone, other than maybe the two GMs, saw it coming.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:45 AM
coachfluffy

Quote:
You know it's a weird situation when TSN is apologizing for reporting it. I don't think anyone, other than maybe the two GMs, saw it coming.
Sounds like Calgary pulled a Marty Wilkonson (I think that was his name from Barrie).

'of course we have a deal Boston unless something better comes along between now and then.'

Old
03-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachfluffy View Post
I truly believe that the difference between the championship teams and the recent teams is the make up and character of the players. Through forty years of coaching and at all the coaching clinics, I have learned that every players has his own quirks on what motivates and what deflates them. It is the coaches job to discover those quirks and tweak his style of coaching to get the most out of each player.

During the good years, the players seemed to thrive on adversity and verbal beatings they were subjected to. Those that did not like the abuse asked out and were traded.

The recent years' players have shown a need to be guided and praised. They want to be treated like everyone else on the team. The few players that accept the coaches' ways have played decent but most of the others have folded or asked out. I also believe that is where the loss of DJ grows in importance. He knew when to pat on the back or kick in the ass.

Boughner's coaching techniques with the Spits would also explain his lack of success in the NHL. The pros are making too much money to be abused. Not sure if anyone remembers Wayne Maxner or not, but he had the same problem with the Red Wings. He had success in Windsor and in London but failed miserably in the NHL. He told me later that he could not change his style and the pros were no accepting of him.
I think we started getting the entitled kids who worked the system to get here and WR was glad to get them. The players on the Mem Cup teams by in large were kids who took a leap of faith to come here after the dark Riolo years and were looking for an honest shot and a chance to earn a spot. Players playing the NCAA game and forcing their way to different situations as defected first rounders have entitlement issues and I don't believe have the mental make-up necessary to be frank about it - definitely not for hardass screamer coaches.

Also I don't believe this team will be able to turn in around until we're post-Kerby. There is just obvious different set of rules and it leads to resentment and a divided lockerroom. Don't know as much of this past season, but the season when he was acquired in January and the next season after that I heard a few stories of Kerby special treatment resentment and feeling second-class citizens on the team. Players who experienced the team pre-Kerby noticed a difference, as they move on maybe it will be easier for newer players to accept it as regular way of doing business in the OHL.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:40 PM
punch1943

Quote:

I do remember Max and his love of the 'Gee Gee's'. He was somewhat like Punch was in his hayday with the Leafs.(a dictator) Only similar style I can think of in the NHL now is Tortorella who's days in NY appear to be numbered.

Unfortunately for BB the 'mean grinch act' wears thin after a while in today's hockey. These days it will work more often with the fringe players than with the team as a group. The better players turn a deaf ear and probably just text their agents to get them outta here.

In the case of the Spits, perhaps the owner should tell the coach to ease up a bit on the throttle......

Old
03-28-2013, 12:46 PM
coachfluffy

Quote:
Also I don't believe this team will be able to turn in around until we're post-Kerby. There is just obvious different set of rules and it leads to resentment and a divided lockerroom. Don't know as much of this past season, but the season when he was acquired in January and the next season after that I heard a few stories of Kerby special treatment resentment and feeling second-class citizens on the team. Players who experienced the team pre-Kerby noticed a difference, as they move on maybe it will be easier for newer players to accept it as regular way of doing business in the OHL.
I do know that is why Koko didn't want to play here, the "kerby rules". The only reason he ended up here was that Boston wanted him to play in North America and this was his only option.

I also heard rumblings that Posa wanted out for the same reason. Hard to be a leader with the team divided between the captain and the management + Kerby.

Wonder what would have happened if a player got in an arguement with whom they were staying and left for a couple nights. Hmmmm.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:17 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
I do know that is why Koko didn't want to play here, the "kerby rules". The only reason he ended up here was that Boston wanted him to play in North America and this was his only option.

I also heard rumblings that Posa wanted out for the same reason. Hard to be a leader with the team divided between the captain and the management + Kerby.

Wonder what would have happened if a player got in an arguement with whom they were staying and left for a couple nights. Hmmmm.
This is why when I read articles about Kerby and he says "the coaching staff is harder on him than others because he can handle it."

This is probably the annoying part is beyond the run in 10-11 when it was Kuhnhackl, Khokhlachev, Ellis, Kassian, Carnevale, Carrick, Robertson, Campbell carrying the load. Rychel, Ebert and Vail were all 16 and that experience never translated to handling adversity and making strides as a team or being leaders. This is why I hope they don't get the Memorial Cup and they start selling players off. Sadly I don't think Warren would deal Kerby, he's the only back to back 40 goal guy in the OHL he definitely has value.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:28 PM
Ottomatic

I think Warren would deal Kerby in a second - he'll have been drafted already, probably in the late first round. OTOH I could see him being stubborn and arrogant and trying to stock up to show Branch and the league and attempt to bump off London in the play-offs or something to show that we would have had a competitive team. But it goes even beyond that now as to why we won't host and shouldn't.

I could see Kerby traded to Barrie if they get the hosting gig, or London without much of a stretch. London would be trickier since he'd play here so many times though - maybe a trade deadline type deal if it would happen. What other teams will be top in the East next year?

Old
03-28-2013, 01:33 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
In the case of the Spits, perhaps the owner should tell the coach to ease up a bit on the throttle......
I don't get the impression this is a new situation, though. I'm almost wondering if the old crop was curious to what they can do, while the new crop is more "we've got this"? Mind-set going into a season can make or break.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:34 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
I think Warren would deal Kerby in a second - he'll have been drafted already, probably in the late first round. OTOH I could see him being stubborn and arrogant and trying to stock up to show Branch and the league and attempt to bump off London in the play-offs or something to show that we would have had a competitive team. But it goes even beyond that now as to why we won't host and shouldn't.

I could see Kerby traded to Barrie if they get the hosting gig, or London without much of a stretch. London would be trickier since he'd play here so many times though - maybe a trade deadline type deal if it would happen. What other teams will be top in the East next year?
Maybe the Spits could get that stud Jacob Jammes from the Knights for Kerby....

I really believe the biggest way Kerby could help Windsor is to allow himself to get traded and restock the draft pick cupboard. Ryan Ellis was willing to do that but it wasn't in the cards.

Closed Thread