HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

April 3rd Deadline Approaching

Old
03-24-2013, 09:12 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Need is still greatest in top 4 D. Trotz said as much on NHL Live on Friday.

Bartley has been a decent band aid, but isn't the long term solution,

With Beck/Butler both playing well and Hornqvist/Wilson/Gaustad all coming back, forward looks okay for now, unless a clear upgrade comes along.

I am predicting Craig Smith is being dangled for help on the backend.
He needs to quite with the large guys with size quest and find another Klein type. A guy that can skate and play defense.

Our back end depends on speed.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:37 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
On the contrary, what you are doing is taking a characteristic from one person and projecting it on all the people from that particular area. That is the basic definition of a stereotype.

People keep forgetting that a factor in Radulov's flight was Arnott and the old guard not making Radulov not feel welcome on the team (not helped by the Arnott concussion incident). Being young and impressionable, I would guess that this probably had more than a little effect on Radulov.

As we saw from the Justin Schultz fiasco in Anaheim, flight risks can be any player of any nationality. Even a good old Canadian boy...
And not all stereotypes hold prejudice. I gave you a reason for my feeling about drafting Russian players in general. If I didn't have an actual reason for my feeling it would be prejudice.

Let's stop dropping words that make people look bad unless we know for sure it's what we want to say. Thanks.

03-24-2013, 10:15 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
He needs to quite with the large guys with size quest and find another Klein type. A guy that can skate and play defense.

Our back end depends on speed.
A guy I'd like to see them take a look at is Rusty Klesla, personally. I think he fits the need like a glove.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 02:50 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Notes from Poile's chat on Marek v Wysh today:

• Deadline is busy, but not as busy for the Preds as fans might hope (not surprising given our bubble situation)
• A lot of teams standing pat given how close the bubble standings are; status quo is likely the trend this year
• DAL / SJ trades were not an indication of being buyers / sellers; more proactive contract management
• Haha sounded like he regretted trading a 1st for Goose (You sit at the draft table and think, 'man I wish we had that 1st.')
• He would never not trade a player for personal reasons if the return was beneficial for the organization (likely related to Kipper situation)
• "DET is absolutely our #1 rival"
• Likes the playoff format in realignment; intra-division rivalries developed in the playoffs are great for fans and business
• He went to VAN training camp after expansion to try out for the team (didn't know this lol)
• We're on life support right now; travel has been tough, but need to be more consistent
• Need to put Suter in the rearview mirror (sounds like he hasn't though haha)
• Fenton deserves a shot as GM; been great as right-hand man. Thinks his opportunity will come soon

So not a whole lot of new info or Preds-specific details, but still an informative / interesting one. It sounds like half of Poile's hair falls out for every trade he makes; you can maybe criticize his moves in hindsight, but he definitely seems to put a lot of sweat and tears into the team.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:09 AM
adsfan

I read that Iginla didn't play tonight. Is 35 too old?

Update: There is another thread that Iginla went to Boston.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:11 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I read that Iginla didn't play tonight. Is 35 too old?

Update: There is another thread that Iginla went to Boston.
Pittsburgh.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:57 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Idiots on Twitter:

"UGH, SHERO GETS IGINLA, WE GET NOTHING. WE KEPT THE WRONG GUY"

Old
03-28-2013, 09:00 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

The Iginla trade makes me sick at what we have gotten in return for our first round picks in recent memory in compairson.

That said, I looked at the TSN article which reviewed trades over the last 10 years or so, and I can unequiviocaly say that Feaster got fleeced. He clearly was accommodating Iginla in this deal, either that or he simply is awful at his job.

03-28-2013, 09:19 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
The Iginla trade makes me sick at what we have gotten in return for our first round picks in recent memory in compairson.

That said, I looked at the TSN article which reviewed trades over the last 10 years or so, and I can unequiviocaly say that Feaster got fleeced. He clearly was accommodating Iginla in this deal, either that or he simply is awful at his job.
I would say there was no doubt that Iginla got to pick his destination which limits the ability to play hardball. Feaster did what he had to do, which was get something rather than nothing.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:07 AM
Byrddog

Quote:

Of course he was playing to Ignilia, That is the issue with elite players they hold all the cards. No Mr Uncle Fester I do not wish to play for a bottom feeder get a deal with a cup contneder then we will talk. The NTC forces GM's to get what they can from teams like the Pens. Who are in pretty good shape in the first place so they have all the cards in there hand.

Bubble teams are relgated to overpaying for the Gaustads of the league. Not that Goose does not have some worth he does, but DP had to overpay to get him and to keep him. As much as everyone would like that top name to sign here its just not going to happen. And settling for 3rd and 4th liners with top 6 asperations is long past old. Right now this team is so far from being a group to make a run than it has been since the first year making the playoffs. The pressure to make the playoffs in years past have placed them out of the draft position to build from within. The offensive picks less Rad have produced little. Taking a chance on promising college players has not paid off to this point. Now there are those that will rant BUT WILSON BUT WILSON. Well Wilson has yet to prove he will be a top 6 guy long term. Borque may well have a better chance. So really we have about what were going to have for the remainder of the year. And the playoffs at this point is a mathmatical dream. Yes they have feasted on some subpar teams of recent but that is not a true picture of where they really are. Its a trainwreck from last season to this point. There is a real confidence problem while playing more talented teams. 11th or 12th is really where this team is in the west, and looks to be where there going to settle out.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:12 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Boston finally gets what's coming to them, after backing out of what Poile believed was an agreed-upon deal for Kessel at the last minute.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:14 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

The thing about Gaustad-- yes, we overpaid, but we were bidding against Detroit. The word was that Detroit offered a second, and if we didn't improve our offer to a first, that's where he was going.

Old
03-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Did we really have a deal in place with Boston? If so, wow.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:01 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Did we really have a deal in place with Boston? If so, wow.
Kevin Paul Dupont told me Boston agreed to Blum, 1st, 2nd for Kessel, then Toronto came in and offered a 2nd 1st rounder.

The tricky thing is that both teams were allowed to talk to Kessel's agent. Kessel agreed to Toronto's offer of 5/5.25, but was turning down ours of 4/4.5

Old
03-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
which was get something rather than nothing.
Poile should take notes.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:15 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Poile should take notes.
I assume you're referring to Suter?

Old
03-28-2013, 11:17 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

lol, at the people wanting to trade Suter at last years deadline when we had probably our best chance at a run as we've ever had.....

Old
03-28-2013, 11:59 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
lol, at the people wanting to trade Suter at last years deadline when we had probably our best chance at a run as we've ever had.....
Agreed, no win there. Poile did what he had to do and I'm not mad at him one bit. I'd have done the same thing.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:12 PM
KevFist
is best pony

So I was just looking at UFAs for the upcoming season, and I'm not really seeing anyone of interest out there. I guess the real question is; do you make a move at the deadline or wait until the offseason?

Honestly, I don't really see us as buyers or sellers at the deadline. We're still very much in the playoff hunt, so I don't think you sell and protentially miss out on the playoffs. Then again, any playoff run probably won't be very deep, so why gibve away assets?

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Sit tight and let the team develop while hoping for something from the UFA pool. We're good at drafting and developing, I think we just need to exercise some patience; I think this team may be in a very good spot in ~3 years.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:47 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
it does suck to be a destination that it appears you only get "name" guys to come to when they have "circumstances" - i.e., PK, Captain Softie, JP... however, we do actually develop guys and it'd be nice if we actually have a chance to see this group of Fs come up.

Wilson - a healthy year would be nice.
Beck - if he plays with this aggressiveness and control of his body and the puck.
Bourque - just keep getting better with his speed.
That bunch is here, now, and be nice to see how next year goes - Willy sure looks like he has top 3 talent, the other guys sure don't look over-matched as 2nd line guys so far.

Smith, Watson - lotta' talent if they can put it together at the Preds level rather than Milw. Budish if he comes out - maybe a year at Milw to transition. Not suggesting any of them are slam dunks, just we have some talent there that I'm interested to see.

If the vet Fs can play a little closer to their historic norms the next couple of seasons, we might be pleasantly surprised; I'm pretty sure we'll have as good a talent as we've had other than the ill-fated Liarpold "go for it" year. We know we grow the D and it will be ok - heck, it is now, albeit we need Gill probably a little more than any of us are comfortable with. I'm trying to be patient after the disappointment of going with the comrades last year; I just don't see a big name coming - maybe a prospect with potential for one of our D prospects, but that's still a "hope" thing, too; see all the excitement everyone (including our board) had over Cooter last year and how he's struggling with a bigger role and expectations over in Philly this year.

deanwormer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:19 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Anyone see us finally acquiring Hemsky this year? It's been reported last trade deadline we were close on getting him. He's still signed on for one more year which would by some more time for the young guns to work out kinks and then we could re-sign him if possible. I'm thinking Blum for Hemsky would work. An oilers fan thinks Ellis is more reasonable, I disagree. Blum is looking much better this year but we don't need multiple offensive dmen, and Ellis is younger with a higher ceiling. Think Poile is on the phones with them?

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
No, you trade him the summer before like Shero did with Staal.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:29 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
No, you trade him the summer before like Shero did with Staal.
I would agree with that, at least. I would have given him until the start of training camp to sign, then trade him. Most of us agree on that one.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:35 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
I would agree with that, at least. I would have given him until the start of training camp to sign, then trade him. Most of us agree on that one.
Oh bullcrap. You say that now in retrospect but coming off our first ever playoff series win and looking like we could do even better the next year nobody (or at least nobody with any sense)was calling for suter to be traded preemptively.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote