HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 11:37 AM
7:11 of OT
Call my Monkey Butch

vCash: 500
AIR - this is an exceptional thread and you did an outstanding job on the guide!

If you don't mind, I have a question for you. My son (17 years old) is looking at going from his Reebok 20K skates to Bauer APX skates. He has been in Reebok for 4 years (9K, 11K and 20K) and he skates 6 days a week in season on a Prep School team. My question is, in looking at the APX, it appears that they run more narrow than the 20K - should I be looking at the EE width in the APX to approximate the D width in the 20K?

Thanks!

Old
03-21-2013, 02:54 PM
AIREAYE

Thank you!

Is there a particular reason why he's looking at the APX specifically? The 20K and APX have very different fit characteristics. I would suggest that you have him try on as many pairs (TotalOnes, Nexus, U+CL etc.) as he can and decide based on whichever one fits the best. Multiple widths as well if you can. Remember that while a skate can expand slightly for you, it cannot contract to a similar degree if it needs to.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:01 PM
7:11 of OT
Call my Monkey Butch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Thank you!

Is there a particular reason why he's looking at the APX specifically? The 20K and APX have very different fit characteristics. I would suggest that you have him try on as many pairs (TotalOnes, Nexus, U+CL etc.) as he can and decide based on whichever one fits the best. Multiple widths as well if you can. Remember that while a skate can expand slightly for you, it cannot contract to a similar degree if it needs to.
Thanks for the advice! His focus on the APX skate is due to the fact that it is the dominant skate amongst his team, so certainly some internal pressure. He had used Bauer skates in the past and developed the 'Bump' which prompted the move to the Reebok skates which fit better. At this point, he is looking for a 'stiffer' boot and one that will last longer than the Reebok's (one season at best).

I will have him try on different skates and see where it goes.

Thanks!

Old
03-21-2013, 03:44 PM
AIREAYE

See if you can eliminate that focus. Being narrow-minded in approach can be detrimental, especially for a piece of gear so reliant on fit to perform well. It's simply not worth it to get a skate that doesn't fit best. He shouldn't care about what others wear, they don't have the same feet that he does.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:12 PM
sxHarr05

Hey guys. I have a few questions on skates, particularly the Bauer Supreme line. I ust started playing hockey again in January after a 17 year layoff. I didn't want to spend a whole lot as I wasn't sure if this would be a fleeting hobby or a full-blown "comeback" of sorts. I went and tried on a few different makes before settling on the Bauer Supreme One.4. The fit in the footbed is great, front/back and side to side. My issue is that they seem loose in the upper ankle/top eyelet area. I'm constantly re-tying them. Can they be baked again or is it best one and done?

The second question may be related, or may be due to my size (6', 235#). As I said, I was just getting back into the game. Well, that has translated to twice a week stick and puck/open and one public skate with the kids. Issue #2 is that the boots are splitting where the ankle cuff meets the tendon guard. About 3/8" on the outside of the right boot,and just starting to show on the same spot on the left. Am I too hard on an entry-level skate? Would I be better served with One.6's and leave these for public? What about Vapors? How different are the fit characteristics? The Supremes are still under warranty so a replacement pair should be on the way.

Thanks in advance.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:11 PM
AIREAYE

What do you mean by 'loose' in the upper ankles? Side to side slop? Your ankle bones aren't locked in? Too much negative space in that area? Baking won't do anything at that level of skate.

Could you post a picture of the damage?

The Vapors are outlined on the first page.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:04 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Hey everyone, I have multiple questions. My skates at the moment are Bauer Vapor 4.0 size 6.5D which I have owned for a few months. Even tho I broke them in, after I skate up hard up the ice my feet seem to hurt and ache a lot even though they feel fine when I am skating at a low speed. It is also painful when I am doing lots crossovers or sharp turns. I also wear size 8 shoes which fit me comfortably. Is this a problem with my skates? Should I get new skates? If I should buy new skates what line of skates should I buy? What size should they be?

P.S- I always buy vapors and the skates before fit me perfect but I plan on buying high end skates

Old
03-22-2013, 08:34 PM
AIREAYE

Are you outgrowing them, or do they simply not feel comfortable anymore? How do they hurt and ache and where?

Help me help you.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:47 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Quote:
Are you outgrowing them, or do they simply not feel comfortable anymore? How do they hurt and ache and where?

Help me help you.
I am 16 so out growing is probably issue and they hurt the sides of my feet

Old
03-22-2013, 09:24 PM
AIREAYE

Are your toes cramped against the front? If not (meaning that you still have room), you might want to try either baking or stretching to re-widen them.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:53 AM
sxHarr05

Quote:
What do you mean by 'loose' in the upper ankles? Side to side slop? Your ankle bones aren't locked in? Too much negative space in that area? Baking won't do anything at that level of skate.

Could you post a picture of the damage?

The Vapors are outlined on the first page.
Heel to toe feels fine. I guess "side to side slop" is a good way to describe the feel above the ankle. Even when initially tied it seems they "encircle" the ankle as opposed to tightening ONTO it, if that makes sense. After reading the breakdown on page one, I may try on some Vapors when I get a chance and use my replacement pair for public skating.

I'll try to get a pic of the damage tomorrow.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:45 AM
shinchanyo

Been skating, learning to playt for a year and a half. I have never had skates that fit. I had to first learn about width because the folks at sports authortity hadn't. So I finally narrowed it down from 11's D Bauer Vapor to Bauers Supreme 7.5 EE. But no matter what I get about 10-15 minutes and then my foot starts to cramp badly.

Then I had to find out that Supreme's are naturally wider than Vapors and the nexus is wider than the supremem so a EE Nexus is wider than a EE supreme. Got my nexus 400's on Thursday and wore it yesterday. At times felt great at others I got about 10 mins and then my foot cramped. Is this a sign that these don't fit too? Or will this go away with use? I am wearing them now at home with a blanket used to prevent the blades from scraping ground.

It feels like about an inch past my toes that my foot is being elevated slightly by the sides of the skate.Based on that is this a warning sign that we a have a loser? Would losing 30 pounds help this? I'm in Red Bank NJ are there pro's that'll custom fit in my area? I have no idea where they would be or how to find them. I went to a local place and they gave me supremes even when I said upon first wearing them that they felt off so I don't trust them anymore. (Guys response was "Yea so I can sharpen them now right? btw we don't take back after sharpening lol!")

Are there skates like Eastons or something that are naturally wider than the Nexus?

Old
03-23-2013, 12:09 PM
AIREAYE

Find a good store to get fitted at where you can try on different types of fit. There should be no need to go custom.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:46 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Find a good store to get fitted at where you can try on different types of fit. There should be no need to go custom.
I've gone to multiple places which is why I was asking if anyone Knew of a place in my area. And I just got these brand new nexus skates are you saying they def don't fit and I should keep looking? Are there naturally wider skates than the Bauer nexus? Any idea what I should look for based on my descriptions and experiences ?

Old
03-23-2013, 01:01 PM
AIREAYE

As I explicitly stated in the guide, there is simply no way that I can fit you in skates over the internet. That's why I will say again to try on as many different pairs as possible to get a better idea of how a skate should fit.

Have you tried Pure Hockey in Fairfield, I've been to that location and the guys there seem perfectly legit. Or HockeyMonkey in NJ.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:25 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
As I explicitly stated in the guide, there is simply no way that I can fit you in skates over the internet. That's why I will say again to try on as many different pairs as possible to get a better idea of how a skate should fit.

Have you tried Pure Hockey in Fairfield, I've been to that location and the guys there seem perfectly legit. Or HockeyMonkey in NJ.
Thnx for the shop advice I will look into them. I dont want u to get me wrong here i didn't ask u to fit me lol. I asked if just in case these don't fit if u know of a naturally wider skate than the Bauer nexus. I also asked if based on my specific experiences if it's ok to feel like the outside of the foot is slightly elevated by the foam or if it shouldn't feel elevated that's not asking you to fit me and it's not answered by the opening. I understand if u get frustrated if I ignore what's in your opening or ask ridiculous questions but I feel these are legit specific questions. The stores around here also don't have sizes to try they only have d's and I've had to order and wait for every EE. I know that it's it's common knowledge the nexus is the widest Bauer so I was hoping it was also known if say Easton is naturally wider than nexus or something

Last edited by shinchanyo: 03-23-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old
03-25-2013, 02:01 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Seems like Mako's selling point is fit. Was quite intrigued about it, but my feet fits the Bauer Supreme series pretty well (my One100 in particular, took 1 drop-in to break in), so no need to look elsewhere for me.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:46 AM
ShootsWide

Right now I am skating with K2 Exo just recreationally. Would I be able to get by a season wearing those softboots skates or would it be better to invest in true hockey skates

Old
03-25-2013, 09:38 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
Thnx for the shop advice I will look into them. I dont want u to get me wrong here i didn't ask u to fit me lol. I asked if just in case these don't fit if u know of a naturally wider skate than the Bauer nexus. I also asked if based on my specific experiences if it's ok to feel like the outside of the foot is slightly elevated by the foam or if it shouldn't feel elevated that's not asking you to fit me and it's not answered by the opening. I understand if u get frustrated if I ignore what's in your opening or ask ridiculous questions but I feel these are legit specific questions. The stores around here also don't have sizes to try they only have d's and I've had to order and wait for every EE. I know that it's it's common knowledge the nexus is the widest Bauer so I was hoping it was also known if say Easton is naturally wider than nexus or something
Not frustrated; I just want people to understand that there are limitations on what kind of advice can be given over the internet.

Old
03-26-2013, 07:37 AM
29Potvins

I've been using Bauer Supremes (entry/lowest tier model) for a couple of years now (mainly because my old skates broke and these were the best I could afford at the time). Now I'm thinking about new skates, and specifically the Easton Stealth 65S.

I'm undecided though, whether I should wait until a summer sale to try and get some old models cheap or grab the 65S. On the one hand I have really liked the Bauers, on the other hand the 65S sound pretty great too.

I'm looking forward to reading the insights into the new Easton Stealths here. Thanks for the thread, AIREAYE! It's been a great read

Old
03-26-2013, 08:02 AM
redbranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
If you don't mind hiking up to hockeymonkey in woodbridge, you may also want to consider hockey haus in bound brook.
Hockey monkey has some very knowledgable staff who will do a great job, but there's a few who aren't very good and will just go through the motions. And you don't know which you'll get

Hockey haus does a great job, it's a small shop, but if they are helping you, you'll get a good fit

Old
03-26-2013, 09:06 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29Potvins View Post
I've been using Bauer Supremes (entry/lowest tier model) for a couple of years now (mainly because my old skates broke and these were the best I could afford at the time). Now I'm thinking about new skates, and specifically the Easton Stealth 65S.

I'm undecided though, whether I should wait until a summer sale to try and get some old models cheap or grab the 65S. On the one hand I have really liked the Bauers, on the other hand the 65S sound pretty great too.

I'm looking forward to reading the insights into the new Easton Stealths here. Thanks for the thread, AIREAYE! It's been a great read
Pleasure! As always though, best try on the 65S before considering them. Just because I say they feel similar to Supreme, doesn't mean they necessarily will for you. I don't have any experience with the new pricepoint Stealth line (except for the RS) because I haven't seen them yet.

Summer flyer sales start around August for us around here. However, clearance deals and specials happen year-round and it's a matter of luck finding them.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:49 PM
newfr4u

after long and difficult choices, i finally got the easton rs. stuck with my current size (7EE) instead of trying to go down to 6.5, for a bad reason (better $$$ deal on the 7). my toes are just short of grazing the front, so i think technically 6.5 might have been better down the line, but the toe of the boot feels a bit smaller than my current synergy 7EE, so i think it should work out fine. also, i use two extra sets of steel, and i'd have to spend more money on that.

the skates feel pretty stiff right now. the heel lock is very prominent, which i like. excited to get them molded this weekend and take them for a spin.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:57 PM
AIREAYE

Why was the 7 cheaper than the 6.5? They're both SR skates.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:52 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
Why was the 7 cheaper than the 6.5? They're both SR skates.
one place had the 7, another had the 6.5.

Closed Thread