HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's going on? Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Truth Movement

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
http://lowetide.ca/blog/2007/10/marc-pouliot-2.html

http://lowetide.ca/blog/2011/06/sail...azy-train.html

and then there is/was his embarrassing cuddlemance with Shawn Horcoff. Seems like a nice guy and I have nothing against him really, I mean I am responding to you attacking a different media personality publicly, but since you asked, those are three of the players that he has been a little off about.

His show/blog and numbers schtick isnt really my bag. I prefer to assess the game by actually watching it, but to each their own I suppose.

Paajarvi seems to be the new flavour of the day for the pocket protector crowd. Im glad that he has seen a resurgence in his game, but 20 some games has really proven exactly nothing atm. So throwing stones at anyone for saying anything about him or his game either way is very premature. Whether it be Spector for allegedly saying Paajarvi is no good (I dont personally think that is what he believes) or you and others saying he is the new Shawn Horcoff.

Here's an idea. Why dont you call into Spec's show and confront him with your evidence on his mistaken views on Paajarvi?
Lowetide liked MAP for some baffling reason, but I never really thought he was particularily high on JFJ. Like most, he saw that JFJ had great tools, but that other factors (injury, lack of skill) brought reality to light.
Also, how is he wrong on saying Shawn Horcoff is a useful hockey player that remains one of our better options at centre? You're a "by eye" guy, did you not watch last night's game?

Also, I know I'm dealing with one of HFOil's pre-eminent trolls here, so I'm probably not long for sticking this argument out, but I will say that some people are stats guys and some are "by eye" guys. I think the best and smartest hockey fans are able to find a balance. Witnessing a player firsthand gives you a hypothesis on him, and the backing stats round that hypothesis into a thesis. There are guys who lean really hard on the nerd stuff (so much of the Oilogosphere is this way) and guys who just go off "saw him good" or a gut feeling (so much, but not all, of the MSM is this way). Some guys are a nice balance and I would consider Lowetide to be one of those guys. His radio show is a little more stats heavy, but then again, the idea behind the show is that it is blog radio, so that might be compensating a bit.
Also, let's cool it with the "putting words in other people's mouths to further our argument" thing. You can simplify what I'm saying to mean "Derp, Spec hatez PRV!!" but it just makes the shallowness of you argument stand out more.
Spector said that MPS was not a top 6 player on this team and was ill-suited for a bottom 6 role (where he added the team needed more good Canadian boys and less soft Euros - his words, not mine). The stats nerds that you look down your nose at said "in the few instances that he's played with skill (which includes roughly two games from the previous season) MPS has enjoyed offensive success. When not playing in that role, he has become one of the few Oilers to push the puck in the right direction. Even when the offense isn't coming, he's a safe player."
Spector said the Oilers needed more "grit" and "sandpaper" in their bottom six (again, not untrue) and less guys trying to create offense (a dubious claim for a team that has struggled with 5v5 scoring). These are things he said. Out loud. I am not putting any words in his mouth nor am I presuming something.
Presuming something would be me saying that if Spector were running the team, MPS (a useful hockey player) would be playing on the farm and Eager (a not-very-useful hockey player) would still be on the team because of Good Ol' Canadian gritensity.

Also, my beef with Spec also stems from years and years of hearing him on the radio and thinking "what the **** is he talking about?"

Old
03-21-2013, 11:02 AM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Strudwicks post game show is great, like mentioned earlier it just blows 630 ched out of the water. Struds seems like a great guy, very fun to listen to.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:23 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Movement View Post
Lowetide liked MAP for some baffling reason, but I never really thought he was particularily high on JFJ. Like most, he saw that JFJ had great tools, but that other factors (injury, lack of skill) brought reality to light.
Also, how is he wrong on saying Shawn Horcoff is a useful hockey player that remains one of our better options at centre? You're a "by eye" guy, did you not watch last night's game?

Also, I know I'm dealing with one of HFOil's pre-eminent trolls here, so I'm probably not long for sticking this argument out, but I will say that some people are stats guys and some are "by eye" guys. I think the best and smartest hockey fans are able to find a balance. Witnessing a player firsthand gives you a hypothesis on him, and the backing stats round that hypothesis into a thesis. There are guys who lean really hard on the nerd stuff (so much of the Oilogosphere is this way) and guys who just go off "saw him good" or a gut feeling (so much, but not all, of the MSM is this way). Some guys are a nice balance and I would consider Lowetide to be one of those guys. His radio show is a little more stats heavy, but then again, the idea behind the show is that it is blog radio, so that might be compensating a bit.
Also, let's cool it with the "putting words in other people's mouths to further our argument" thing. You can simplify what I'm saying to mean "Derp, Spec hatez PRV!!" but it just makes the shallowness of you argument stand out more.
Spector said that MPS was not a top 6 player on this team and was ill-suited for a bottom 6 role (where he added the team needed more good Canadian boys and less soft Euros - his words, not mine). The stats nerds that you look down your nose at said "in the few instances that he's played with skill (which includes roughly two games from the previous season) MPS has enjoyed offensive success. When not playing in that role, he has become one of the few Oilers to push the puck in the right direction. Even when the offense isn't coming, he's a safe player."
Spector said the Oilers needed more "grit" and "sandpaper" in their bottom six (again, not untrue) and less guys trying to create offense (a dubious claim for a team that has struggled with 5v5 scoring). These are things he said. Out loud. I am not putting any words in his mouth nor am I presuming something.
Presuming something would be me saying that if Spector were running the team, MPS (a useful hockey player) would be playing on the farm and Eager (a not-very-useful hockey player) would still be on the team because of Good Ol' Canadian gritensity.

Also, my beef with Spec also stems from years and years of hearing him on the radio and thinking "what the **** is he talking about?"
Disagreeing with your opinion constitutes trolling?

Hypothesis? Thesis? This is hockey we are talking about here, not academia. Marc Spector is a professional journalist/analyst/commentator who works for a national network. Lowetide is an ad salesman with a hockey blog and a small but loyal cult like following that you can count on your fingers and toes.

If you have been following along I have given Horcoff credit for his role on the team THIS year. Lowetide and other like minded citizens were pumping Horcoff's tires as a first line center (he is not and rarely ever was), outscorer, and the engine that drives the Oilers for YEARS. Sorry, but that is embarrassing, wrong and should be admitted as such by even the most ardent Lowetide fan.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:41 PM
Slats432

Quote:

I think Lowetide liked MAP because the rest of us at the time wanted to punch KLo in the face for trading away a pick that could have been used on Parise (Among others) in the best draft in decades. Trying to make lemonade out of lemons that had rotted with dog crap on them.

Agree with you on Spec though. He does give off a Donald S. Cherry impression from time to time, but MPS is just now developing into what we had hoped he would be when selected.

Up until recently, Spec was right. A soft perimeter player in the bottom six doesn't help, and the other guys in the top six are more skilled.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Truth Movement

Quote:
Disagreeing with your opinion constitutes trolling?

Hypothesis? Thesis? This is hockey we are talking about here, not academia. Marc Spector is a professional journalist/analyst/commentator who works for a national network. Lowetide is an ad salesman with a hockey blog and a small but loyal cult like following that you can count on your fingers and toes.

If you have been following along I have given Horcoff credit for his role on the team THIS year. Lowetide and other like minded citizens were pumping Horcoff's tires as a first line center (he is not and rarely ever was), outscorer, and the engine that drives the Oilers for YEARS. Sorry, but that is embarrassing, wrong and should be admitted as such by even the most ardent Lowetide fan.
Disagree with me all you want, I'm just looking at your posting history.

Hypothesis and thesis aren't big words. I'm sure you're capable of keeping up. Giving a guy more credence because he's a professional journalist and not a "blogger sitting in his mom's basement" is exactly the kind of rhetoric that keeps guys like Spector going. Keep it up. Lowetide's small but loyal following has given him the opportunity tobecome one of the more influential voices in the Oilers media market. He was a coveted blogger that was snagged by Oilersnation - which is home to MSM guys like Robin Brownlee, Jason Gregor and Jason Strudwick - because he is good at what he does. He ain't perfect (his Smid fear-mongering is a bit much), but he does what he does with a level of even-handedness and humility that is rare in both the MSM and the blogosphere.

Also, the stuff about Lowetide pumping Horcoff's tires in excess is simply false.

Old
03-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Truth Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post
Agree with you on Spec though. He does give off a Donald S. Cherry impression from time to time, but MPS is just now developing into what we had hoped he would be when selected.

Up until recently, Spec was right. A soft perimeter player in the bottom six doesn't help, and the other guys in the top six are more skilled.
Like I said, MPS, in his small sample size playing alongside skilled players (from Gagner to Hemsky to even Omark) has enjoyed offensive success. Unfortunately for him, his career was beginning to be defined by his time playing with Belanger. Is MPS a banger? Heavens, no. Put then again, I've heard Spector refer to him as small, which is mathematically incorrect. When the offense wasn't coming for MPS, he was still playing safe hockey. He wasn't bleeding chances against. No one's saying he's the second coming of Horcoff, but I think there have been a few people who saw a player who could fill the Pisani/Dvorak role - savvy, safe and with a touch of skill. Spector was calling for a bottom six of tough guys, offense be damned. I like tough guys and I LOVE agitators, but guys like MPS will be what pushes this team over the top, not more Ben Eagers.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:17 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Disagree with me all you want, I'm just looking at your posting history.
Oh so this has nothing to do with the context of this conversation but is more of a personal shot at myself for no reason other than taking a personal shot?

Quote:
Hypothesis and thesis aren't big words. I'm sure you're capable of keeping up. Giving a guy more credence because he's a professional journalist and not a "blogger sitting in his mom's basement" is exactly the kind of rhetoric that keeps guys like Spector going. Keep it up. Lowetide's small but loyal following has given him the opportunity tobecome one of the more influential voices in the Oilers media market. He was a coveted blogger that was snagged by Oilersnation - which is home to MSM guys like Robin Brownlee, Jason Gregor and Jason Strudwick - because he is good at what he does. He ain't perfect (his Smid fear-mongering is a bit much), but he does what he does with a level of even-handedness and humility that is rare in both the MSM and the blogosphere.
Sorry, but trying to give the appearance of "looking intelligent" by using fancy jargon unrelated to the subject is pretty much a tell that your argument is a bunch of brown bananas. In the scope of things, Lowetide is a nobody.

Quote:
Also, the stuff about Lowetide pumping Horcoff's tires in excess is simply false.
Absolute nonsense. From the outscoring phenomena to the need for a third line center to take the load off of Horcoff dogma to my personal favourite- the on ice save percentage theory is reason for Horcoff's team leading minus numbers...........its been a steady stream of poo and nonsense for years on the subject of Horcoff. Years. Plural. Literally.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Truth Movement

Quote:
Oh so this has nothing to do with the context of this conversation but is more of a personal shot at myself for no reason other than taking a personal shot?
While I 100% stand by what I said, I sunk to that level. So...redacted.

Quote:
Sorry, but trying to give the appearance of "looking intelligent" by using fancy jargon unrelated to the subject is pretty much a tell that your argument is a bunch of brown bananas.
Well now this is just silly. You don't like my point of view so you resort to "look at this phony intellectual with his purty mouth" grandstanding? Just because I said "Saw him good = hypothesis, stats = thesis," it doesn't automatically mean I'm tap-dancing over an unfounded argument. Here's how it works:
"Boy, that guy really looks like a good player out there. Oh look, his underlying fancy stats (Corsi, Fenwick, shots, WOWY, +/-) are also very impressive. Therefore, he is a good player."

Quote:
In the scope of things, Lowetide is a nobody.
Sure, but then what does that say about your opinion? Or mine. Well, actually, by your thinking, my thinking is more legitimate than yours seeing as how I'm a journalist with MSM hockey writing credentials.
While I am those things, I don't believe that my opinion is more valid than yours and neither do you. The same rule applies for Mark Spector. Sure, he's a real live journalist, but that doesn't give his opnion any more cache than mine or yours or Lowetide's.

Quote:
Absolute nonsense. From the outscoring phenomena to the need for a third line center to take the load off of Horcoff dogma to my personal favourite- the on ice save percentage theory is reason for Horcoff's team leading minus numbers...........its been a steady stream of poo and nonsense for years on the subject of Horcoff. Years. Plural. Literally.
OK OK. Lowetide has said positive things about Horcoff during times when the Edmonton faithful saw him good enough to want to run him out of town. You don't like Horcoff (obviously, since you keep bringing him up). You don't like fancy stats Nancy boys like Lowetide (a nobody). Spector, who I do find eminently listenable, is your guy. That's cool. I think he frequently comes off as ill-informed or like he's simply not paying attention. Then again, what do I know. I thought MPS was a legitimate hockey player last season and I think Horcoff is still integral to this team. I'm the crazy one.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:07 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Well now this is just silly. You don't like my point of view so you resort to "look at this phony intellectual with his purty mouth" grandstanding? Just because I said "Saw him good = hypothesis, stats = thesis," it doesn't automatically mean I'm tap-dancing over an unfounded argument. Here's how it works:
"Boy, that guy really looks like a good player out there. Oh look, his underlying fancy stats (Corsi, Fenwick, shots, WOWY, +/-) are also very impressive. Therefore, he is a good player."
Bunk is bunk. Corsi, fenwick, PDO, etc is just that. Not fit for rational consumption. A hammer made out of feathers, while looking impressive and given a fancy name like Quill Mallet is impressive to some perhaps, but in the end is utterly useless.

Quote:
Sure, but then what does that say about your opinion? Or mine. Well, actually, by your thinking, my thinking is more legitimate than yours seeing as how I'm a journalist with MSM hockey writing credentials.
While I am those things, I don't believe that my opinion is more valid than yours and neither do you. The same rule applies for Mark Spector. Sure, he's a real live journalist, but that doesn't give his opnion any more cache than mine or yours or Lowetide's.
You were the one bashing Spector, while at the same time heaping praise on Lowetide. Not me. I took issue with your (imo) misleading characterization of Spector's position on Paajarvi (what was the date of those tweets btw?), along with your characterization of Lowetide as the "best" Oilerblogger/radio guy/whatever. Neither were particularly truthful which is ironic considering your pseudonym.

Im sure Spector would be amused/impressed to see a real live journalist slagging him from behind a facade.

Quote:
OK OK. Lowetide has said positive things about Horcoff during times when the Edmonton faithful saw him good enough to want to run him out of town. You don't like Horcoff (obviously, since you keep bringing him up). You don't like fancy stats Nancy boys like Lowetide (a nobody). Spector, who I do find eminently listenable, is your guy. That's cool. I think he frequently comes off as ill-informed or like he's simply not paying attention. Then again, what do I know. I thought MPS was a legitimate hockey player last season and I think Horcoff is still integral to this team. I'm the crazy one.
Do you have any examples of this in your "posting history"?

You are making assumptions. I like Horcoff. I liked Horcoff when he broke into the league. I like what he brings to the table in his role now. What I always took issue with were the feeble attempts to portray him as something he was not and the arrogance displayed towards those who were not "enlightened".

I do not dislike Lowetide. I think he has a real knack for writing. I rarely agree with his opinions. To each their own.

Spector is pretty good overall. Much better than the infomercial down the dial.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Truth Movement

Quote:
Bunk is bunk. Corsi, fenwick, PDO, etc is just that. Not fit for rational consumption. A hammer made out of feathers, while looking impressive and given a fancy name like Quill Mallet is impressive to some perhaps, but in the end is utterly useless.
By whose standards are these stats useless? I don't think they tell the whole story, but are they simply bunk because you say they're bunk? You make your statements like they're hard facts. Do you have some authority on this, is your ego that big or are you just trolling?

Quote:
You were the one bashing Spector, while at the same time heaping praise on Lowetide. Not me. I took issue with your (imo) misleading characterization of Spector's position on Paajarvi (what was the date of those tweets btw?), along with your characterization of Lowetide as the "best" Oilerblogger/radio guy/whatever. Neither were particularly truthful which is ironic considering your pseudonym.

Im sure Spector would be amused/impressed to see a real live journalist slagging him from behind a facade.
Spector's Tweets were taken from March 1 after MPS was bunched following a very strong game in Chicago and on March 4 following the Mike Brown trade. They are taken from two different days, but both in the context of the same ongoing conversation (Gregor also chimes in with some inanity if you care to look it up), No need to call them into question. Go ahead and verify if you think I'm lying. I listened to his show today and Spector even admitted that he was wrong on MPS. All I'm saying is that he's wrong a lot. This is just the most recent example.

Lowetide ain't perfect, but I'm comfortable saying that his blog is, to me, the best in the Oilogosphere (stats-based, but not pedantic or overly reactionary). Also, as a host I find him very genial, natural and well-spoken. I like other guys too. But Lowetide's is the only one I'll make an effort to catch.

My point about being a media guy was not to say how great I am (I'm not), but just to say that credentials don't exactly buy you authority. I'm small stakes, so my name on here is not a means of protecting my career or anything, but I also wouldn't be the first media guy taking aim at another in the area. That scene has a ****-ton of infighting, a criticism for which Mark Spector is not immune.

Quote:
Do you have any examples of this in your "posting history"?

You are making assumptions. I like Horcoff. I liked Horcoff when he broke into the league. I like what he brings to the table in his role now. What I always took issue with were the feeble attempts to portray him as something he was not and the arrogance displayed towards those who were not "enlightened".

I do not dislike Lowetide. I think he has a real knack for writing. I rarely agree with his opinions. To each their own.

Spector is pretty good overall. Much better than the infomercial down the dial.
No, I don't post here a tonne. Nor do I post on Lowetide much or Copper & Blue or anywhere else.
Like I said, I don't hate Spector as a personality (despite the recent weird anti-Euro stuff), he just leaves me wanting as an analyst.

Old
03-22-2013, 05:43 PM
I am the Liquor

Jason Gregor asked Krueger about Yakupov and late game situations on his show today. First msm to do so as far as I know, so good on him.

Old
03-22-2013, 05:44 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Jason Gregor asked Krueger about Yakupov and late game situations on his show today. First msm to do so as far as I know, so good on him.
What did Krueger say?

Old
03-26-2013, 04:28 PM
JimmyHardFace

Is it just me or was there noises in the background of the Morning roundtable with Nielson and Fraser on Monday after Yukon Jack burst into the room?

Old
03-27-2013, 05:00 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Gregor needs to get rid of Brownlee.

Old
03-27-2013, 05:13 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
ding ding ding ding ding

You and I agree on something after ten years

Old
03-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
I 100% agree.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:13 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Why? Half a show twice a week, Brownlee's not on enough to really get on my nerves.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:34 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Brownlee made a complete ass of himself on twitter this afternoon, simultaneously making himself sound like an ass on the radio.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:18 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyHardFace View Post
Is it just me or was there noises in the background of the Morning roundtable with Nielson and Fraser on Monday after Yukon Jack burst into the room?
Yukon always burst into the morning show one way or another. He jumped in to give his entry into What if Wednesday when I won in December.

03-28-2013, 08:39 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Why? Half a show twice a week, Brownlee's not on enough to really get on my nerves.
We need a camera to see the look on Brownlee's face when Gregor reads Crystal Glass ads.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:37 AM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
we need a camera to see the look on brownlee's face when gregor reads crystal glass ads.
it's glass masters!!!! Mountains of manliness aahhhhhh!!

Old
03-28-2013, 02:06 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
That's more than enough for me. I just find him annoying, and 95% he's agreeing with Gregor like an annoying little puppy dog. They've had their disagreements, but it seems to me he just falls in line with Gregor for the sake of doing so. I was listening yesterday and Gregor was talking and Brownlee would interject with a "yes!" while Jason was still talking. I wish he would just go and run his damn glass company full time.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
That's more than enough for me. I just find him annoying, and 95% he's agreeing with Gregor like an annoying little puppy dog. They've had their disagreements, but it seems to me he just falls in line with Gregor for the sake of doing so. I was listening yesterday and Gregor was talking and Brownlee would interject with a "yes!" while Jason was still talking. I wish he would just go and run his damn glass company full time.
I find that even Spec does that on his hit, it's really strange how they both seem to "choose" to agree with Gregor as much as they do.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:28 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I find that even Spec does that on his hit, it's really strange how they both seem to "choose" to agree with Gregor as much as they do.
It's because gregor goes nuts if you don't. It's funny about a month ago on specs show he was talking about something, tuned into gregor's show and he just went along with gregor for the sake of keeping the peace.

It happens with Rishaug and Strudwick as well. The co-hosts just don't bother being much more then yes men.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:56 PM
OilerFan4Life

Since his wedding, Gregor has become unlistenable.

What happened to the hard nosed guy who used to host the post-game shows? The guy who actually had a clue.

Closed Thread