Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chiarelli's lack of upgrades since the Cup

Old
03-28-2013, 12:11 PM
DOGSTARMAN

vCash: 500
Sorry, but I just find this post a bit rash. I understand that people are disappointed or even upset about the bait-and-switch with Iginla overnight. But I think you have to admit, and I think most people seem to be seeing it this way, the Bruins had a virtually done deal, as close any deal that did not close has ever come in my memory, to land an impact player. People can quibble over the current level of play of Iginla but I don't see how you could say obtaining him would not at least have a chance of improving the Bruins. So Chiarelli came that close to landing a future HOF player but it fell apart due to either the insanity of the Flames GM or shenanigans with Iginla's decision process, or whatever. The Bruins put up the best deal by all accounts.

Given this, I don't think it's a fair reaction to take Chiarelli to task today for not getting something done. Yet. I agree with many that the Bruins could use some help and it would be very helpful if he can bring in a good player. We'll see what happens by the deadline and then we can revisit the premise of those thread. But, again, it does not seem entirely fair to me to segue from last night's drama to a summary dismissal of Chiarelli's work the past 2 years. That's emotion and frustration. I get it, but let's see what the next few days bring, then revisit. Feaster and/or Iginla bleeped us good, I really can't fault Chiarelli for that too much.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:12 PM
redbeard7737

Sorry for the dumb question. I went to bed with aaron ward saying. Iginla to the bruins was done. What happened?

redbeard7737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:16 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Given Ryders replacements of Pouliot, Bourque, Caron, etc. I sure as hell would have wanted them to keep Ryder for 3.5mil.
Especially when you see lesser players in Kelly and Peverley making at or around the same money, on long term deals identical to what Ryder wanted the year before (and aren't those three of similar age?).

This threesome is the only annoyance I have at Chiarelli in terms of the "downgrading". Well, besides Pandolfo.

I'd rather have a line of Ryder-Peverley-Caron/etc than having a relatively unskilled grinder in Kelly there. 4th line, or making much less salary and sans NTC, sure, I'd keep Kelly. I'm certainly not the GM though!

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
Took a joke, post lockout club to a playoff team in year two. Came within a point of the president's trophy in year three. Won a round in year three and four. Cup in year five. Firts round exit in year six.

Lucked into Tim Thomas-but was criticized for extending him for $5M a year
Was criticized for lack of high end talent, but his depth mentality resulted in a cup win.

It's easy to build a team in the Penguins model when you suck for years and end up with top picks in consecutive years.
Traded Wideman and a couple of picks for Horton and Campbell. And was blasted for trading a pick for Kelly. "Who's this guy? He's nobody!"

Re-signed guys like Bergeron and Chara to cap-friendly deals. Can you imagine what had happened if they had hit the open market?

People who call Chiarelli a bad GM either haven't been Bruins fans for long or have terrible memories.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickM32 View Post
Part of the reason why we didn't want these guys was because we thought we'd reallocate the Ryder/Kabs money into a useful player, not some pile of crap. Sure, Pouliot was fine, but I saw him as a 13th forward.

The reason this team was so good in 2010 was because they had 3 scoring lines. This team has no high end top talent (Seguin maybe) in terms of scaring the crap out of a team scoring wise. This team needs three lines to score to really contend. The third line as been a mess the past two season because Chiarelli went from having Ryder on the third line to Chris Bourque and Jay Pandolfo.

Again this team blows leads because they don't have the firepower to really buckle down and score a big goal consistently. When the 3rd and 4th line is out, there is almost zero chance they score.
Some of us have been on that train for a lonngg time now. Problem is if you want to get you need to give, and you need to pounce when the timing is right. If you're talking high end, top end talent your talking about dealing a Lucic, Krejci, etc... to get it and judging from the Nash conversations last year that isn't something people are really willing to consider.

I also think people forget how useless Ryder often was here in the bottom 6. We're talking an 18 goal guy on the 3rd line who often looked disinterested. Pouliot provided literally the exact same thing for Boston last year at a fraction of the cost. This year has been a struggle to figure out the 3rd line but that type of player is very very hit and miss. You can't expect to hit everytime and Chia didn't this season. Trade deadline is the perfect time to acquire one however so he had that buffer, and there is still a very good chance that happens.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:20 PM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Traded Wideman and a couple of picks for Horton and Campbell. And was blasted for trading a pick for Kelly. "Who's this guy? He's nobody!"

Re-signed guys like Bergeron and Chara to cap-friendly deals. Can you imagine what had happened if they had hit the open market?

People who call Chiarelli a bad GM either haven't been Bruins fans for long or have terrible memories.
But the point of the thread is about what he has done since they won the Cup. So you are rebutting the OP about something that is not relevant to his assessment of Chiarelli. Not that I agree with his take regardless.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:23 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickM32 View Post
Sans the Iginla fiasco, I've had a beef with Chiarelli since the Cup. He has yet to improve this team in any way IMO.

After the Cup, he has lost Recchi, Kaberle, Ryder and had Seguin as their 13th

Replaced them with Pouliot, Corvo and Caron and added Zanon, Rolston and Mottau at the deadline

Then he lost Rolston, Zanon, Corvo and Pouliot and replaced them with Bourque, Hamilton, and Pandolfo.

Point is, this team hasn't added a significant piece on the past 2 years since the Cup. They have had two years of tons of cap space and didn't do squat with it. That's my issue. Now, next year, we have some cap issues and the window for big pieces is gone.
You are singing my song.

Unacceptable. Last year not adding a real player over Mottau Zanon and Rolston cost us the Washington series. After that we just needed to win 12 our of 20 or so games against Jersey, NYR, and LA to get a repat. PC screwed us.

This year we have to watch Bourque be plucky but undersized and not up to a 3rd line spot...but what do they do? Replace him with a SHIIIITTTTYYYY 40 year old who can't stay on his skates, is crazy slow, and isn't sniffing a point.

Chiarelli is getting worse and worse and Jacobs should probably send Neely packing with him if Cam doesn't have issues with his GM. Its that bad.

Chiarelli has been a joke since the Cup. He made a safe pick asset-wise drafting Malcomn since he has the last name and is a prominent goalie at the lower levels. Sorry though, thats not enough to excuse refusing to add to a team on the brink of another Cup.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
But the point of the thread is about what he has done since they won the Cup. So you are rebutting the OP about something that is not relevant to his assessment of Chiarelli. Not that I agree with his take regardless.
He has re-signed several players since the Cup win, i.e. Bergeron, Chara, as I listed.

I guess some people believe re-signing your players before they go UFA doesn't count?

Old
03-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
You are singing my song.

Unacceptable. Last year not adding a real player over Mottau Zanon and Rolston cost us the Washington series. After that we just needed to win 12 our of 20 or so games against Jersey, NYR, and LA to get a repat. PC screwed us.

This year we have to watch Bourque be plucky but undersized and not up to a 3rd line spot...but what do they do? Replace him with a SHIIIITTTTYYYY 40 year old who can't stay on his skates, is crazy slow, and isn't sniffing a point.

Chiarelli is getting worse and worse and Jacobs should probably send Neely packing with him if Cam doesn't have issues with his GM. Its that bad.

Chiarelli has been a joke since the Cup. He made a safe pick asset-wise drafting Malcomn since he has the last name and is a prominent goalie at the lower levels. Sorry though, thats not enough to excuse refusing to add to a team on the brink of another Cup.
Good lord, the Bruins are the #5 team in the NHL right now with a plus-22 goal differential, the second-lowest goals against, and the NHL's best PK. They are ahead of Vancouver, Detroit, New Jersey, St. Louis and the New York Rangers, just to name a few. They have a young team, the reigning (re-signed below market price) Selke winner and the (re-signed below market price) best defenseman in the NHL and a stable full of prospects. And you want Chiarelli and Neely fired?

Old
03-28-2013, 12:33 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:
You are singing my song.

I'm sorry. But no way. Also, I am pretty sure Subban was a high-risk, high-reward type pick. Not a "safe" pick.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:35 PM
redbeard7737

Best part is bourque and bartkowski are 1 way deals next year and its already going to be tight to fit a decent team under the cap. Great signings! Oh and lucic at 6 million! Lol

redbeard7737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:38 PM
blurbruin

Quote:
You are singing my song.

yeah, since the Bruins won the Cup 2 years ago Chiarelli has been a joke! Let's discount everything he's done before and fire him, and ignore the fact this team managed to not miss a beat despite their Vezina winning goalie decided to go on vacation.

Also, can people stop making it seem like Rolston sucked... he was actually solid.

blurbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:43 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Good lord, the Bruins are the #5 team in the NHL right now with a plus-22 goal differential, the second-lowest goals against, and the NHL's best PK. They are ahead of Vancouver, Detroit, New Jersey, St. Louis and the New York Rangers, just to name a few. They have a young team, the reigning (re-signed below market price) Selke winner and the (re-signed below market price) best defenseman in the NHL and a stable full of prospects. And you want Chiarelli and Neely fired?
They're hardly playing to the record.

PC and Neely's conduct since the Cup has told us that they don't want to be #1. They want to be #8-12 every year.

I like this team. thats why I am rip**** our GM has refused to add anything of value while talent has left town. It feels like Sinden is calling the shots.

The second we stopped acting like Harry was running things we won a Cup. We've reverted since the Cup.

You think its acceptable the role Pandawful is playing? You aren't outraged that trash is taking a regular shift on a team this close to the cup?

*I wish I wasn't bashing a local guy so hard I could handle Bourque but not Pandawful I go ****ing crazy every time he sees the ice and loses puck battles and falls down for no reason. Sorry.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:

PC and Neely's conduct since the Cup has told us that they don't want to be #1. They want to be #8-12 every year.

I like this team. thats why I am rip**** our GM has refused to add anything of value while talent has left town. It feels like Sinden is calling the shots.

The second we stopped acting like Harry was running things we won a Cup. We've reverted since the Cup.

You think its acceptable the role Pandawful is playing? You aren't outraged that trash is taking a regular shift on a team this close to the cup?
For one thing, I don't call anyone "trash" unless they've committed crimes.

And as for the bolded, that is worse than nonsense.

Goodbye.

Old
03-28-2013, 12:49 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:

*I wish I wasn't bashing a local guy so hard I could handle Bourque but not Pandawful I go ****ing crazy every time he sees the ice and loses puck battles and falls down for no reason. Sorry.

What. The. ****.

Even when I get pissed off thinking about games like last night or Pandolfo playing a regular shift, I don't go that loopy!

Old
03-28-2013, 12:56 PM
mikelvl

Quote:
You are singing my song.

Chiarelli has been a joke since the Cup.
He made a safe pick asset-wise drafting Malcomn since he has the last name and is a prominent goalie at the lower levels. Sorry though, thats not enough to excuse refusing to add to a team on the brink of another Cup.
That right there, you just lost all credibility. Try an anger management course.

mikelvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:00 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
You are singing my song.

No, the fact that all 5 of the team's best forwards underperformed against the Capitals is what screwed the B's, not Chiarelli's inactivity. Bergeron, Krejci, Seguin, Marchand & Lucic each produced fewer points than Ference, and none of them scored more than the Rolston that you're lambasting in your post. (and if the story is true, both Marchand & Lucic weren't feeling the motivation in the playoffs last year ... THAT is a bigger concern to me than Chiarelli not overpaying for Gaustad just to appease a portion of the fanbase)

If the best forwards didn't **** the bed against the Caps, the team moves on to the second round. I can't help but think that Chiarelli would've done more if he'd known that he couldn't count on his best players to actually play like his best players. He added tertiary scoring thinking that he already had his primary & secondary point producers in-house, and they failed him & the team.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:12 PM
NHRonin

Quote:
You are singing my song.

Yeah, what he said! I mean what the hell, this team is only 21-7-5! Blow them up now! Fire Chia and Cam! Bring back Harry Sinden. He knew how to build a winner.

Then JJ should hire Mike Milbury as the new GM. He knows how to swing a trade!

NHRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:03 PM
hemispheres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Some of us have been on that train for a lonngg time now. Problem is if you want to get you need to give, and you need to pounce when the timing is right. If you're talking high end, top end talent your talking about dealing a Lucic, Krejci, etc... to get it and judging from the Nash conversations last year that isn't something people are really willing to consider.

I also think people forget how useless Ryder often was here in the bottom 6. We're talking an 18 goal guy on the 3rd line who often looked disinterested. Pouliot provided literally the exact same thing for Boston last year at a fraction of the cost. This year has been a struggle to figure out the 3rd line but that type of player is very very hit and miss. You can't expect to hit everytime and Chia didn't this season. Trade deadline is the perfect time to acquire one however so he had that buffer, and there is still a very good chance that happens.
So you don't believe they did there jobs as 3rd line players, I reiterate other teams needed to pay attention to them. Yet those Bruins teams were considered deep.

Still think Chiarelli is a very good GM.

hemispheres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:19 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemispheres View Post
So you don't believe they did there jobs as 3rd line players, I reiterate other teams needed to pay attention to them. Yet those Bruins teams were considered deep.

Still think Chiarelli is a very good GM.
I absolutely think they did their job as 3rd liners, and I absolutely think Chia is a great GM (not just good). I don't condemn him for not paying more for Pouliot or Ryder however as they needed to save cap dollars, and neither one was that impressive as to make themselves absolute must resigns.

Resigning Ryder at 3.5mill for a job Pouliot could do at 1mill doesn't make much sense, and Pouliot did do it just as well.

Chia tried the same tactic with another long shot very similar to Pouliot in Bourque and was in a perfect situation to do so. His top 6 was static and locked up. Had it paid off he would have had a very cost effective 3rd line winger locked up when the cap drops next year, and that would have been absolutely invaluable. Not every move pays off (remember Versteeg for Bochenski?) though, and if you're going to screw up there are worse places to do it then the third line. As it stands he needs to put Bourque in the minors and pick up a solid 3rd line presence... which aren't exactly rare around this league.

That isn't this teams problem. The problem is the Krejci line has struggled and their defense is suspect.

I'll be the first one to say "man why the hell didn't Chia go out and get xxxxx", but I realize I'm looking at it in hindsight and that I'm often wrong at least as much as right. I would have been all over a Nash for Krejci deal, and would still like to see him traded as part of a package for an impact player. I understand the other side of the coin as well though, and likely why Chia hasn't done it yet and may never. The mans resume speaks for itself right now.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Schalkenullvier*

The funny Thing is, often the People who slam chia for not bringing in the big fish are some of the same that scoffed at the idea of trading koko+1st for iginla. You can't please everyone .

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Well we already know the top 2 lines don't show up.so they need that secondary scoring. It could have gotten them through Washington, like it did Montreal in 2011.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:28 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Well we already know the top 2 lines don't show up.so they need that secondary scoring. It could have gotten them through Washington, like it did Montreal in 2011.
Exactly...had Cage-Pervs-Ryder not bailed us out in games 3-4 vs Montreal we would have been done.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Therick67

Quote:
No. This team won the cup in 2011, they can't possibly upgrade or make changes.

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:53 PM
ksp1957

Send a message via AIM to ksp1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
No. This team won the cup in 2011, they can't possibly upgrade or make changes.
^THIS. Until Management proves otherwise, this team is ready to rest on that 2011 Cup win and it'll be another 40 year wait. Hey, Chiarelli, I'd like to see another Cup win before they either put me in assisted living or I'm pushing up daisies. What do you say ?

ksp1957 is offline   Reply With Quote