HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais - Black or White Edition

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Ginu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Actually, Moen and Markov have the worst +/- on the team. Where are the threads about them?

DD is -2.

It means while on the ice at ES, there was 2 more goals against than goals for, over 33 games. Big deal. Seriously, that's not even worth saying. His ES play is good.

On the other hand, his PP play should be better, definitely, but there are many other players in the same boat, like Gionta and Pacioretty. But these 2 don't get the same amount of blame.
Nobody is blaming him. He just doesn't belong at center. That's not blaming him for something. Either way, his position is up for grabs just like anyone else's. he was the worst +/- on the team up to last game. It's been a day since that changed. He has to be better.

Do you agree that, if it's better for the team for him to play wing, that he should play wing?

Old
03-28-2013, 01:53 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
HFboards ia a venue for fans to discuss their opinions in a civil manner. If you don't like this perhaps to quote 'you can always GTFO'.
I don't mind opinions. But what we see here is blindful, obsessive hate. It has nothing to do with opinions anymore and at some point, I think people should learn moderation and to be balanced and nuanced.

Old
03-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
There was no bump on Eller's thread because nobody felt the need to say that he was a non-factor during that game, unlike DD.

But Eller's pass (it was not a takeaway) happened on the 2nd goal, which was not as crucial as the 4th goal in that game. That doesn't remove him any credit, but that explains why his fanboys were not extatic. If Eller had a takeaway on the 4th goal, do you seriously believe that many people would call him a non-factor in that game? No, he would get the credit for it and it would be normal.

Anyway, what's wrong with this fanbase? Why is it so hard to give a some credit to DD for that 4th goal??? We just beat the big bad Bruins, for god sake! Should we not be happy with the players performances??? Why do people feel the need to hit on DD once again??

I don't know for you, but personally, I'll give credit to any player who helps the Habs to beat the Bruins, no matter if he's not my fave.
Desharnais is going to be playing top offensive minutes and be relied on as the #1 offensive C for most of the next 4 years (or until Galcheyuk is ready to take over). Regardless of how much credit one feels that particular play deserves, his overall play/production this season and that game leaves something to be concerned going into the future no?

Plekanec is good ~60 point 2way tough minute C but he isn't a true #1 C. Very good #2 C that can give #1C easier matchup.
Eller will probably remain in his #3 checking line C role for the next few years. No one else can play the same role in the organization.
Galchenyuk is the team's biggest hope for a true #1 C in a very long time. If we're lucky, he'll reach that upside sooner than later.

Desharnais is the Habs #1 offensive C. His role is the get points. If he can't, Habs are in trouble long term. I don't see him playing any other role on the team other than this.

Last season, people were on Plekanec's case because he had a weaker than usual season offensively with 52. DD currently on pace for worse production. I don't think it's as 'personal' as you seem to suggest the 'hate' is...

Old
03-28-2013, 02:00 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Actually, Moen and Markov have the worst +/- on the team. Where are the threads about them?

DD is -2.

It means while on the ice at ES, there was 2 more goals against than goals for, over 33 games. Big deal. Seriously, that's not even worth saying. His ES play is good.

On the other hand, his PP play should be better, definitely, but there are many other players in the same boat, like Gionta and Pacioretty. But these 2 don't get the same amount of blame.
Your statements are ridiculus. DD is -2 on a team where all the other top 9 forwards are in plus catagory. Only players with worst +/- are Markov and Moen, both who bring alot more to the team.

Markov at -3 plays 24min per game against the best forwards on the opposing team and has 19 PP points (DD has 4).

Moen also plays against the top lines of opposing team and will fight.

Please stop this sophistry. DD is playing badly amd MB made his first mistake in giving him that 4 year deal.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:01 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Nobody is blaming him. He just doesn't belong at center. That's not blaming him for something. Either way, his position is up for grabs just like anyone else's. he was the worst +/- on the team up to last game. It's been a day since that changed. He has to be better.

Do you agree that, if it's better for the team for him to play wing, that he should play wing?
Now that's a legitimate opinion.

Do I agree? Not now. First of all, because he has never played on the wing. This would be an experiment that could be tried in the next training camp, for example, but certainly not a few weeks before the playoffs. DD is a playmaker, and most of the time (but not all), these players are best suited at center because they have more time and space to see the ice and do their play.

Second, I think someone has to steal his job for him to lose his spot at center. Eller, while showing good flashes, still has just 4 goals and is often invisible. Galchenyuk is only 19 and is not ready defensively to assume a bigger role. He still looks nervous with the puck sometimes and I think he needs to learn the rope before being granted a bigger role. I think he's used perfectly right now.

In other words, DD's job at center is not in danger yet. I think none of Eller or Galchenyuk have done enough to force that change and make an experiment at such a point in the season.

But who knows, next training camp, I'd be willing to try it.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:03 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
I don't mind opinions. But what we see here is blindful, obsessive hate. It has nothing to do with opinions anymore and at some point, I think people should learn moderation and to be balanced and nuanced.
I don't hate DD. Always liked the guy and still do. Only not happy with the signing and the 'obsessive' way some people defend DD and his deal.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:10 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Desharnais is going to be playing top offensive minutes and be relied on as the #1 offensive C for most of the next 4 years (or until Galcheyuk is ready to take over). Regardless of how much credit one feels that particular play deserves, his overall play/production this season and that game leaves something to be concerned going into the future no?

Plekanec is good ~60 point 2way tough minute C but he isn't a true #1 C. Very good #2 C that can give #1C easier matchup.
Eller will probably remain in his #3 checking line C role for the next few years. No one else can play the same role in the organization.
Galchenyuk is the team's biggest hope for a true #1 C in a very long time. If we're lucky, he'll reach that upside sooner than later.

Desharnais is the Habs #1 offensive C. His role is the get points. If he can't, Habs are in trouble long term. I don't see him playing any other role on the team other than this.

Last season, people were on Plekanec's case because he had a weaker than usual season offensively with 52. DD currently on pace for worse production. I don't think it's as 'personal' as you seem to suggest the 'hate' is...
I agree with most of your analysis, but not all. The problem is : We now analyse his performance while he's in a slump. 2 weeks ago, he was on pace for a good season. DD could very well make 6-7 points this week and suddenly, he'll again be on pace for a normal 50-60 points season. I think we tend to overanalyse over short periods instead of looking at the great picture. And I'm not worried that DD has the skills to be a 50+ points player every season.

And yes, I think the hate is personnal. Everytime DD has 2-3 more average games, the same usual suspects suddenly get out of the woods and bump this thread. Actually, it's more "everytime DD makes an average play".

Old
03-28-2013, 02:13 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Your statements are ridiculus. DD is -2 on a team where all the other top 9 forwards are in plus catagory. Only players with worst +/- are Markov and Moen, both who bring alot more to the team.

Markov at -3 plays 24min per game against the best forwards on the opposing team and has 19 PP points (DD has 4).

Please stop this sophistry. DD is playing badly amd MB made his first mistake in giving him that 4 year deal.
TRAVIS MOEN brings more to the team than Desharnais?

You've got to be ******* kidding

Old
03-28-2013, 02:17 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:

Moen never plays against the top lines. Not this year at least. And he has what? 2-3 fights this year?? This is what you call "more useful" than a player with 19 points?

Old
03-28-2013, 02:30 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post

I think management have strongly expressed the fact that there isn't one true top line on this team.
The way they have split up the duties of each line is more about who can handle what.
DD cannot match up versus the opposition's top lines, his line just won't do as good as Plekanec's would, or even Eller. So that leaves DD in a more offensive role. But that doesn't mean things can't change, and I expect them to. Eller is being wasted as a third line center with scrapers, and it would be completely unfair not to give him a chance in a more offensive.
We should consider moving DD to the wing, and letting Eller blossom in a more offensive role.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:38 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Moen never plays against the top lines. Not this year at least. And he has what? 2-3 fights this year?? This is what you call "more useful" than a player with 19 points?

Nice diversion tactic... won't work!

Please don't compare apples and oranges. Moen is a third/fourth line player in a forechecking/defensive role. He fits in that role and although not having his best year, brings value to the team in other ways than points.

DD is sold as a top six/ top two line center. He is showing to not be able to play consistently in that role AND brings NOTHING ELSE to the team (other than his RDS between period interviews of course). DD's 19 points have been off the back of his teammates Max and Gally, our top two wingers this year and still he sits as the only top forward who is a minus. Stats don't lie.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Now that's a legitimate opinion.

Do I agree? Not now. First of all, because he has never played on the wing. This would be an experiment that could be tried in the next training camp, for example, but certainly not a few weeks before the playoffs. DD is a playmaker, and most of the time (but not all), these players are best suited at center because they have more time and space to see the ice and do their play.

Second, I think someone has to steal his job for him to lose his spot at center. Eller, while showing good flashes, still has just 4 goals and is often invisible. Galchenyuk is only 19 and is not ready defensively to assume a bigger role. He still looks nervous with the puck sometimes and I think he needs to learn the rope before being granted a bigger role. I think he's used perfectly right now.

In other words, DD's job at center is not in danger yet. I think none of Eller or Galchenyuk have done enough to force that change and make an experiment at such a point in the season.

But who knows, next training camp, I'd be willing to try it.
Good, that's what I want to hear. I agree that the current state of the lineup is such that DD's center ice position is not yet under threat. But i believe at some point it will.

My simple point is this- have you ever heard of a Stanley Cup contender that has had to shelter one of their top two centers? The answer is no. Currently, we do have to shelter him. That's my only concern.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:40 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
I agree with most of your analysis, but not all. The problem is : We now analyse his performance while he's in a slump. 2 weeks ago, he was on pace for a good season. DD could very well make 6-7 points this week and suddenly, he'll again be on pace for a normal 50-60 points season. I think we tend to overanalyse over short periods instead of looking at the great picture. And I'm not worried that DD has the skills to be a 50+ points player every season.

And yes, I think the hate is personnal. Everytime DD has 2-3 more average games, the same usual suspects suddenly get out of the woods and bump this thread. Actually, it's more "everytime DD makes an average play".
That's the issue here, he's been in a slump majority of the season. 10 of his 19 points came in a streak of 9 games where everything Pacioretty touched went into the net. You can say DD is not producing because of Pacioretty's slump but somehow the latter is still putting up points (6 pts in last 9 games).

You are confident it's a slump but it's fair to be a little concerned. The team has committed to him long term.

If the hate is personal, isn't your defense of him personal too kinda cancelling it out? (can't help but notice your avatar)

Old
03-28-2013, 02:42 PM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think management have strongly expressed the fact that there isn't one true top line on this team.
The way they have split up the duties of each line is more about who can handle what.
DD cannot match up versus the opposition's top lines, his line just won't do as good as Plekanec's would, or even Eller. So that leaves DD in a more offensive role. But that doesn't mean things can't change, and I expect them to. Eller is being wasted as a third line center with scrapers, and it would be completely unfair not to give him a chance in a more offensive.
We should consider moving DD to the wing, and letting Eller blossom in a more offensive role.

Forget DD on the wing! If he cannot play at center he is useless. Wingers need to be either very speedy or able to win battles along the boards.. DD is not that! He can not even play wing on the power play effectively, much less five on five.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:58 PM
NHLFutureGuy3

It's very simple. Has anyone created a 'value of: David Desharnais' thread on the Trade rumours and free agent talk in the main board? If not I will create it and you will see how little value he has to other teams.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLFutureGuy3 View Post
It's very simple. Has anyone created a 'value of: David Desharnais' thread on the Trade rumours and free agent talk in the main board? If not I will create it and you will see how little value he has to other teams.
Yes I have, and not one fan from another team wanted him, not even for a draft pick

Old
03-28-2013, 03:07 PM
NHLFutureGuy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
Yes I have, and not one fan from another team wanted him, not even for a draft pick
Case and point.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:34 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
Well that's a flat out lie.

One search and people were interested. Some offered deals. Other said he's not proven enough yet to move much.

Pretty much every team in the league would take him for a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.

Holy wow, do you ever go out of you way to hate on him.

Old
03-28-2013, 03:50 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:

Please don't compare apples and oranges. Moen is a third/fourth line player in a forechecking/defensive role. He fits in that role and although not having his best year, brings value to the team in other ways than points.

DD is sold as a top six/ top two line center. He is showing to not be able to play consistently in that role AND brings NOTHING ELSE to the team (other than his RDS between period interviews of course). DD's 19 points have been off the back of his teammates Max and Gally, our top two wingers this year and still he sits as the only top forward who is a minus. Stats don't lie.
Are you for real? You were the one to bring up Moen first of all. Second Moen brings nothing else, to use your own terms, than being a forecheking/defensive 3rd/4th line player. Scoring will always be more valuable than defensive play. Its far harder to find a top6 player than a 4th liner, the AHL is filled with guys who wouldn't be much worse than Moen.

I don't even know why this is being argued.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:59 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Well that's a flat out lie.

One search and people were interested. Some offered deals. Other said he's not proven enough yet to move much.

Pretty much every team in the league would take him for a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.

Holy wow, do you ever go out of you way to hate on him.
take the second and run

4 number 2`s in this draft ...yes

Quote:
Good, that's what I want to hear. I agree that the current state of the lineup is such that DD's center ice position is not yet under threat. But i believe at some point it will.

My simple point is this- have you ever heard of a Stanley Cup contender that has had to shelter one of their top two centers? The answer is no. Currently, we do have to shelter him. That's my only concern.
agreed

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 03-28-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old
03-28-2013, 07:16 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
take the second and run

4 number 2`s in this draft ...yes
so much fail.. let's kill our depth even more.. screw the playoffs and our best season in years!

Quote:

He's tied for 44th in scoring for centers. 4-points out of the top-30. Seems like 2nd line production to me....

PS. He's also good in the shootout.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:42 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:

I don't think DD is being sheltered at all anymore this year. Sure, he takes more face-offs in the O-zone than the D-zone, but that's normal since Plekanec and Eller are better defensively. This is not sheltering, this is just good assets management. Every coach does the same kind of management, including on Stanley Cup contenders. I don't have the stats with me, but I'm pretty sure that in Boston, Bergeron takes more D-zone face-offs and Krejci might take more O-zone face-offs. But nobody (unless he has his own haters) would even start thinking that Krejci is being "sheltered".

Only in Montreal...

So far, I've seen nobody here being able to give credit to DD for the 4th goal against Boston. Sadly, it seems like many of you would rather see the Bruins winning than seeing DD making a great play on a goal that would lead to the victory against the Bruins. It seems to bother a lot of people around here that he made that play.

Many "fans" of this team care more about DD failing than the team winning. And seeing how some people are willing to trade him for a draft pick, it's obvious that you don't really care about the success of the team. The only thing these people focus on his : "DD must fail! Or be thrown out of town!" This is shameful.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:09 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
I don't think DD is being sheltered at all anymore this year. Sure, he takes more face-offs in the O-zone than the D-zone, but that's normal since Plekanec and Eller are better defensively. This is not sheltering, this is just good assets management. Every coach does the same kind of management, including on Stanley Cup contenders. I don't have the stats with me, but I'm pretty sure that in Boston, Bergeron takes more D-zone face-offs and Krejci might take more O-zone face-offs. But nobody (unless he has his own haters) would even start thinking that Krejci is being "sheltered".

Only in Montreal...

So far, I've seen nobody here being able to give credit to DD for the 4th goal against Boston. Sadly, it seems like many of you would rather see the Bruins winning than seeing DD making a great play on a goal that would lead to the victory against the Bruins. It seems to bother a lot of people around here that he made that play.

Many "fans" of this team care more about DD failing than the team winning. And seeing how some people are willing to trade him for a draft pick, it's obvious that you don't really care about the success of the team. The only thing these people focus on his : "DD must fail! Or be thrown out of town!" This is shameful.
Why do you not look up the stats then?

It takes five minutes, behindthenet.ca has most of the stats used here, NHL.com is good too.

There is nothing wtonh with sheltering Malkin, Krecji, or Sedin as they reward their teams with very high offensive production. Sheltering them is a high yield investment.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:41 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Why do you not look up the stats then?

It takes five minutes, behindthenet.ca has most of the stats used here, NHL.com is good too.

There is nothing wtonh with sheltering Malkin, Krecji, or Sedin as they reward their teams with very high offensive production. Sheltering them is a high yield investment.
Is it sheltering them when the opposition puts their best defensive unit out against DD's line? Is that sheltering?

Doesn't seem like sheltering too me. Seems like it makes sense.

Plekanec + Eller are great defensively, so they play the best offensive talent. DD (and Pacioretty) are pretty... not good defensively, so they play the lines that will hurt us the least (although those lines have got lucky this year coupled with even worse defense than you'd expect from them).

Just makes sense.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:00 PM
DAChampion

Fine, let's be euphemistic.

DD is not being sheltered, he is being asked to exploit.

He is put on the ice against players who cannot score, in the offensive zone, with PP time and good wingers.

I am all for giving him these advantages as long as the investment yields a high rate of return.

Closed Thread