HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Not Now, When?

Old
03-28-2013, 04:02 PM
JohnLennon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Two trades is all this team needs

Eller and Cole's 3rd round pick for Clowe.

Pateryn and a 2nd rounder for Smid.

Pleks line stays the same.
Desharnais line stays the same.
Halpern centers Chuckie and Prust (would be a fantastic shutdown line with high potential to score)
Dumont centers Clowe and Moen/Armstrong.

Smid sends Tinordi to press box.

Skill, size and toughness increase and the future is not mortgaged as we make a deep run for the Cup.
Why on EARTH would we trade one of our top young players and a third round pick for a UFA player having one of the worst seasons of his career, who could easily sign with another team in the off-season once his contract is up? That trade makes absolutely no sense.

Gritty players are extremely overrated on these boards. Especially the Habs board. We just beat arguably the toughest team in the league with our skill, not our toughness.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:03 PM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
I've never seen a guy score with his gloves and stick on the ice.
Did you ever see a guy score from the penalty box?

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:07 PM
TonyRockyHorror

Even if Bergevin wanted to ''go for it'', what would his targets be? Are there seriously any available players this TDD that would require ''mortgaging the future? Iginla's out, Perry signed. No one is giving away the farm in Montreal so I don't know what everyone is afraid of.

I would however go hard for Jagr. He will not cost much and would instantly improve our team on multiple levels. I'm curious what exactly it would take to get him away from Dallas.

TonyRockyHorror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:22 PM
Stephpa10

I agree we are top 3 team in the east, don't make a stupid trade but if we can a guy like Glencross or an other D then do it, never know when we will a team like this again. if you keep waiting for the young guys to get better you are constantly waiting, it's like when you trying to decided to have a kid, people constantly wait for the right moment, there is no such thing if your ready know and ready for the commitment then go for it, the rest will play itself out

Quote:
And Plekanec is getting older, Markov is gone, one of the above could have a season ending injury etc and so on.

Prospects look good on paper and you never know how they will play in the NHL or if they struggle in the AHL like Leblanc.

This season is perfect to take a shot by adding just a couple of players to a very dynamic team.

Go for it Bergevin.

Stephpa10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:23 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xposbrad View Post
If Clowe was on our team, playing as crappy as he was, we would have wanted him traded for anything. Yet, some of our fans, would give up a high ceiling player like Eller for him? lol

Physical play helps, but it's not really going to win you many games. You swap Clowe for Eller, then this team is weaker up front scoring wise. Last I checked, you had to put the puck in the net to win games.
That is why I also included Dumont as an option instead of Eller.

Clowe is having a snake-bit season. He has 61 shots on goal and none have gone in. I could understand calling him a plug if he only had 29 shots like Armstrong.

Despite that, Clowe still has 10 points and is second on the team in hitting. Seven fewer points than Eller. A change of scenery would help Clowe tremendously.

I understand that very few people want a "goon", "enforcer" or that type of player on the Habs. Just read through that thread. But Clowe is a hockey player who is big and who can be physical.

I know the dream is for Eller to be on the PP. I hear it every night we play. The reality is that Therrien does not want him on it. Griping will not change reality.

Clowe has over 60 minutes on the PP. Almost the same as Gallagher. What Clowe can do for our PP is create space. Hitting and physicality will free up our smaller players on the PP. Having Clowe in front of the goalie clogging up the crease will also improve our effectiveness.

To address and fill a need, you have to give up some value. It would be easy to simply say give the Sharks Armstrong, Kaberle and Weber for Clowe. In the real world, doesnt work that way.

As far as being a rental, we have the money to sign Clowe. We have Gomez money and soon to have Kaberle money. He can be persuaded to stay in Montreal.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:25 PM
Stephpa10

not sure if he is available but with Feaster i would call about Glencross signed for 2 more years at very good 2.5m he can play 3rd line even 2nd or 1st depending on linemates, if I was MB he would be high on my list

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyRockyHorror View Post
Even if Bergevin wanted to ''go for it'', what would his targets be? Are there seriously any available players this TDD that would require ''mortgaging the future? Iginla's out, Perry signed. No one is giving away the farm in Montreal so I don't know what everyone is afraid of.

I would however go hard for Jagr. He will not cost much and would instantly improve our team on multiple levels. I'm curious what exactly it would take to get him away from Dallas.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:32 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I guess trolling Flames fans that Clowe can fetch better returns than Iginla is the #1 priority. Galchenyuk for Thornton too while we're at it?
No offense to you but this post reveals your intention more than it does mine.

The Habs are having one of the best seasons in years. We are lacking in size up front and need one larger body on the back-end.

Gorges is getting older. Markov is fast approaching the end of his usefulness. Pleks is getting older. The Price critics state that he is inconsistent and he is who he is and two more years will not change the way he plays the game.

This thread is just a few people stating opinions as to why this is a good year to make a run for a Cup and a few opinions on how this team could improve.

We do not agree. No big deal.........

Old
03-28-2013, 04:36 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
That is why I also included Dumont as an option instead of Eller.
That was the most mind-boggling part about it, you had Eller and Dumont at almost the same value.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Raider917

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyRockyHorror View Post

id like jagr too. if he can be had for the cheap then im not against it.

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:45 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chael Sonnen View Post
Eller has way more value than Clowe does IMO.
Especially to us. He has potential. Looks better this year. He is big. He plays center. I wouldn't mind giving Clowe a shot to see if a change of scenery helps him out. But only if the price is reasonable, and certainly not at that price.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:48 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
That was the most mind-boggling part about it, you had Eller and Dumont at almost the same value.
As said earlier, value.

There is a difference in value between a 2nd and 3rd rounder.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:48 PM
Stephpa10

i agree at most would be our 2nd round pick at the most, 3rd round with a mid prospect maybe

how about Kristo?? i would be willing to trade him

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy28 View Post
Especially to us. He has potential. Looks better this year. He is big. He plays center. I wouldn't mind giving Clowe a shot to see if a change of scenery helps him out. But only if the price is reasonable, and certainly not at that price.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:52 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephpa10 View Post
i agree at most would be our 2nd round pick at the most, 3rd round with a mid prospect maybe

how about Kristo?? i would be willing to trade him
Not sure about giving up on Kristo. He is a sniper.

Old
03-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
As said earlier, value.

There is a difference in value between a 2nd and 3rd rounder.
The difference in value between a 2nd and 3rd rounder is not a whole lot. Certainly not the difference between a fringe 4th liner and an established 3rd Liner with a lot of top-6 upside.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:54 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Two trades is all this team needs

Eller and Cole's 3rd round pick for Clowe.

Pateryn and a 2nd rounder for Smid.

Halpern centers Chuckie and Prust (would be a fantastic shutdown line with high potential to score)

Smid sends Tinordi to press box.

Skill, size and toughness increase and the future is not mortgaged as we make a deep run for the Cup.
This is some great comedic material.

Et le But is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:56 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
This is some great comedic material.
What's your suggestion?

Old
03-28-2013, 05:06 PM
M.C.G. 31

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy28 View Post
Yeah, Eller is showing that he can be that big, top six center we've needed for a while. The only problem with Eller is he tends to be a bit too fancy with the puck, but he'll grow out of that.

I definitely would not trade Lars Eller, especially at this point and with the position we're in. Eller can be a big player for us come playoff time.

"It's going to be great. I can't wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building. I can't wait to take that all away from them."
- PK Subban
M.C.G. 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Et le But

Quote:
What's your suggestion?
First of all, if it takes more than Eller alone to get you Clowe, you hang up the phone. Giving up Eller plus for a struggling 30 year old who might not resign with this team, and even if he did, would be making more than Eller will next year. Eller is better than every part of the game right now than Clowe except fighting; both are essentially 3rd liners at this point but only one has the upside to be more than that. The difference between Dumont and Eller is not a mediocre draft pick.

Hypothetically speaking, if we were to make a deal like that, why not Leblanc over Eller? Eller is bigger and more physical than Leblanc (which I thought was something we need more of, not less), Eller is more important to the team right now, and the age difference isn't that dramatic. Both project as high end 3rd liners with top 6 upside. If Leblanc alone can't get us Clowe I'd be wary.

You claim the intent is to win now but you propose sacrificing one of our strengths - center depth - for a player who, was at one point a good hockey player and very likely still can be, but is in the middle of a nightmare season where his most notable action was getting himself suspended.

Clowe could bounce back. Or like Gomez, he could just end up getting worse. Since Clowe is a gamble to begin with, we should pay for him in gambles - Holland, Bennett, our own 2nd.

Of course, you already know all this.

Et le But is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Issacar

I'm not trading Eller, Pateryn or Dumont.

I'm not trading Kristo, Collberg, Holland, Hudon, Bozon, Leblanc, Bournival, Vail, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Thrower, Ellis, Dietz, Nygren or Bennett.

I could be willing to trade Gionta (depending on the return) or Bourque (anyone wants a concussed proned player? doubt it).

I'm not trading any draft pick unless it brings in a higher ranked draft pick in return.

DOesn't leave much room for a trade.

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:15 PM
Habs88
Ya I'm a habs fan

Now we want to trade Eller sometimes I wonder what goes through ppl heads he's finally starting to show that he his capable of playing on the NHL he's actually showing a lot of skill he earned his spot and he's going nowhere. I'm not saying he's going to be a star but he plays a two way game big center and has showed a lot of skill this year. Plus we're going to give up Eller who can be the eventual replacement for pleky just for a loaner it just doesn't make sense.

I'm sry but it's not gonna happen and we should probably stop mocking ridiculous trades and probably start being more realistic cuz Bergeron made it clear he's NOT GETTING RID OF THE FUTURE FOR A RENTAL.

Habs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs88 View Post
Now we want to trade Eller sometimes I wonder what goes through ppl heads he's finally starting to show that he his capable of playing on the NHL he's actually showing a lot of skill he earned his spot and he's going nowhere. I'm not saying he's going to be a star but he plays a two way game big center and has showed a lot of skill this year. Plus we're going to give up Eller who can be the eventual replacement for pleky just for a loaner it just doesn't make sense.

I'm sry but it's not gonna happen and we should probably stop mocking ridiculous trades and probably start being more realistic cuz Bergeron made it clear he's NOT GETTING RID OF THE FUTURE FOR A RENTAL.
Personally speaking, I loved Lars Eller in WCJ with Danemark. I thought he was a formidable pick for the Blues and I'm incredibly happy we have him now. I've never wanted to trade him ever since we acquired him. Too much talent to let him go.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Hang on, so you spent about a week bleating constantly about the Halpern waiver claim, pointing out that he has less goals than Parros (also known as same number of goals as Clowe...) and calling anyone who didn't think it was the worst decision in history peacenik veggie Gaulthier lovers and in the space of two games he's been reassessed to third line centre on a 'fantastic shutdown line' with 'high potential to score'.

Well, this is progress.

Not really sure why we're getting rid of an asset like Eller for Clowe and then playing Clowe on the fourth line. You don't make a move to 'improve' the team and then end up with the same top nine except for Halpern instead of Eller. That's not better.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Issacar

That's the typical case of Habsbipolarism

Old
03-28-2013, 05:21 PM
andy28

Quote:
What's your suggestion?
I would be happy if we could add both Clowe and Smid. But I would not trade Eller. I think Clowe could add something if he got a change of scenery. He certainly is tough and has been a pretty good player in the past. But I don't think it's a gain if we lose Eller. If Dumont could get it done that would be great.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I want the team to get better. But there are a number of ways to do that, and there are a number of different periods in a calendar season when it makes more or less sense. The Ryder trade was good. Even while bringing us an impending-UFA player.

But generally speaking, once you get near the trade deadline, it is a seller's market, and I would be generally disinclined to be a buyer on merchandise that won't last a month when the prices are at their highest. Generally. But sometimes you find a reasonable fit.

One that worked out nicely for us was Moore. Mara and Sopel... well, if the price is low enough at a time of need, you can look at such moves. I think just by picking up Halpern on waivers we've done better than those, for free, and maybe even approached the Moore pickup, however. Anyway, it is case-by-case. But deadline deals like the Iginla, Morrow ones are ones I'm glad our team isn't making. For now.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote