HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Not Now, When?

Old
03-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Issacar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy28 View Post
I would be happy if we could add both Clowe and Smid. But I would not trade Eller. I think Clowe could add something if he got a change of scenery. He certainly is tough and has been a pretty good player in the past. But I don't think it's a gain if we lose Eller. If Dumont could get it done that would be great.
I doN,t think SMid would bring anyone that our defensemen already brings... If I acquire CLowe, the Sharks have to take Gionta. I'm keeping Dumont.

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:26 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
First of all, if it takes more than Eller alone to get you Clowe, you hang up the phone. Giving up Eller plus for a struggling 30 year old who might not resign with this team, and even if he did, would be making more than Eller will next year. Eller is better than every part of the game right now than Clowe except fighting; both are essentially 3rd liners at this point but only one has the upside to be more than that. The difference between Dumont and Eller is not a mediocre draft pick.

Hypothetically speaking, if we were to make a deal like that, why not Leblanc over Eller? Eller is bigger and more physical than Leblanc (which I thought was something we need more of, not less), Eller is more important to the team right now, and the age difference isn't that dramatic. Both project as high end 3rd liners with top 6 upside. If Leblanc alone can't get us Clowe I'd be wary.

You claim the intent is to win now but you propose sacrificing one of our strengths - center depth - for a player who, was at one point a good hockey player and very likely still can be, but is in the middle of a nightmare season where his most notable action was getting himself suspended.

Clowe could bounce back. Or like Gomez, he could just end up getting worse. Since Clowe is a gamble to begin with, we should pay for him in gambles - Holland, Bennett, our own 2nd.

Of course, you already know all this.
There is a group of fans who say prospects are off limits. So that eliminates Holland, Bennett etc. Then there is a group of fans who want to trade existing players on the team.

Who can we deal......

Pleks? No way in hell. Ryder? This would be foolish since he is pumping in goals. Gionta? Would be classless to ship off your captain.

DD......just extended. Pacioretty?? No way in hell. Gallagher? No way in hell.

Eller? Fan favorite, would be risky. Prust? No way in hell. Chuckie? Hell would have to freeze over.

Moen? Sure, but who would take him? Armstrong? Plug. Dumont? Not sure we could get takers without add ons. Halpern? No one would take. White? Injured. Bourque? Injured.

Do you take a chance to fill needs by giving up value or do you stay with the status quo.........even though the prevailing thought is that the status quo is not good enough.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Issacar

The only guy in the current line up I'm willign to trade is Gionta. I know he'S the captain and stuff but how did it prevent us from dumping Saku Koivu like he was some burden to the team? Or better yet, how did it prevent the Flames from trading Iginla?

But I like Brian GIotna alot and it would need to be for the proper player. Notably a Left handed wingman who can play on the top 2 lines.

I consider Dumont a prospect, so he's not avaiable for trade either.

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Clowe brings an element sorely missing on this team. He would not be the go to guy when it comes to scoring goals.
So have you seen Clowe play this year or not? Cause i have. Hes not bringing much offense and he hasnt even be significanlty more physical than Eller this year. I cannot fathom why you'd want him so bad.

Then again, you hated the free pick-up of Halpern, so i shouldn't be surprised.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Stephpa10

not trading Eller for rental Clowe no way, but what about Kristo i don't see him developing properly, i would rather keep Leblanc for some reason i still believe in him

Stephpa10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Habs88
Ya I'm a habs fan

Now I don't know if he on the market and I've mentioned this in some other posts how about Steve Ott over clowe I personally think Ott is a better fit and could really help.
I would like some feedback on Ott and if anyone knows if he's available but I wouldn't part with more than a second rounder for clowe or Ott no prospects and if it can't be done with only the second rounder then I'm happy with this team there resilient and when bourque Diaz and Prust come back well be fine.
The only real thing I think we have to address is the fourth line that y I like Ott he brings the same type of skill set that Prust brings.

Habs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Stephpa10

I wouldn't mind Ott but i doubt the Buffalo deals with us

Old
03-28-2013, 05:39 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
So have you seen Clowe play this year or not? Cause i have. Hes not bringing much offense and he hasnt even be significanlty more physical than Eller this year. I cannot fathom why you'd want him so bad.

Then again, you hated the free pick-up of Halpern, so i shouldn't be surprised.
The biggest majority of people do not want an enforcer/goon. I have read hundreds of posts stating that we need a tough forward who has hockey skills but can also stand up for our players. And is bigger than Prust and give Prust a breather so he can continue to help our offense.

Players like that are rare. Clowe is one of those players. And now Clowe is available.

And now Clowe is not good enough to fill that role.

Seeing Halpern play last night is part of the reason that I am advocating a move involving one of our centers.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:39 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs88 View Post
Now I don't know if he on the market and I've mentioned this in some other posts how about Steve Ott over clowe I personally think Ott is a better fit and could really help.
You know what. I always hated Ott, and I never thought I would say this, but I would not mind having him. He has been a Hab killer this year and checking out his stats here he seems to be good for 10-15 goals a year. Could be pretty effective.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:41 PM
Stephpa10

Quote:
The biggest majority of people do not want an enforcer/goon. I have read hundreds of posts stating that we need a tough forward who has hockey skills but can also stand up for our players. And is bigger than Prust and give Prust a breather so he can continue to help our offense.

Players like that are rare. Clowe is one of those players. And now Clowe is available.

Seeing Halpern play last night is part of the reason that I am advocating a move involving one of our centers.
can we give the White i wouldn't mind that, with our 2nd maybe a mid level prospect Bennett

Old
03-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
No offense to you but this post reveals your intention more than it does mine.

The Habs are having one of the best seasons in years. We are lacking in size up front and need one larger body on the back-end.

Gorges is getting older. Markov is fast approaching the end of his usefulness. Pleks is getting older. The Price critics state that he is inconsistent and he is who he is and two more years will not change the way he plays the game.

This thread is just a few people stating opinions as to why this is a good year to make a run for a Cup and a few opinions on how this team could improve.

We do not agree. No big deal.........
Wouldn't a 33 year old Thornton not help this team for a cup run in the 2 years that is remaining on his contract? After all, the window is closing fast.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:43 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephpa10 View Post
can we give the White i wouldn't mind that, with our 2nd maybe a mid level prospect Bennett
I would love shipping White and a pick/prospect for Clowe.

Not sure how severe his injury is.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:44 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Wouldn't a 33 year old Thornton not help this team for a cup run in the 2 years that is remaining on his contract? After all, the window is closing fast.
It really is OK if we disagree on what would help this team or not.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Corncob

Quote:
I have read hundreds of posts stating that we need a tough forward who has hockey skills but can also stand up for our players. And is bigger than Prust and give Prust a breather so he can continue to help our offense.

if Clowe is good enough to fill that role, why would you have him playing on a fourth line with Dumont and Armstrong?

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:55 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
if Clowe is good enough to fill that role, why would you have him playing on a fourth line with Dumont and Armstrong?
I catch enough heat for stating that Prust is a 3rd line forward, has been a 3rd line forward since he came to Montreal and in no way should he be bumped down to the 4th line when he comes back as so many posters have stated.

Putting Clowe on the third line would have caused some people to be apoplectic.

But since you bring it up, Chuckie centering Clowe and Prust would be a great line against teams like Boston and Toronto.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:41 PM
pcamp

When Galchenyuk and Eller will be the two top6 centers

pcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 06:43 PM
Hansman

I would take a gamble on some toughness from that kid in L.A.Jordan Nolan,Ted's son.
6 foot 3 ,tough,has shown he;s defensively responsible,don't think he would cost too much.
Input from the regulars please

Hansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansman View Post
I would take a gamble on some toughness from that kid in L.A.Jordan Nolan,Ted's son.
6 foot 3 ,tough,has shown he;s defensively responsible,don't think he would cost too much.
Input from the regulars please
I thought Nolan is quite popular in LA, but if he's available..I thought he was a beast for the Kings in the playoffs last year, difficult guy to play against. If he's been anything like he was last year, then he's someone worth targetting.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:23 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Don't think that San Jose would agree with that assessment. But we could offer a straight up deal.

We have a nice surplus of centers and Chuckie should be ready next year on the 3rd and Dumont has shown he could handle things on the 4th. And we could keep the cheap Halpern around for one more season.

Chuckie isn't potting goals with Eller as C. We need his offensive output. Prust will help that and either Eller or Dumont can be expendable this season and easily replaced moving forward
chuckie is taking over number one next year not 3

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:41 PM
niftymove

I saw Gainey so many times giving away good picks for rentals with no results at the end, even though we had one of the better scout in the NHL with timmy....

I'm happy Bergevin seems to have a long term vision for this club. I'm confident he wont give away our best assets....

And I'm so happy that many of you, posters, have nothing to do with the future of our beloved club!!!!

niftymove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:46 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by denidd View Post
I saw Gainey so many times giving away good picks for rentals with no results at the end, even though we had one of the better scout in the NHL with timmy....
One thing you didn't see Gainey do much was sell though. You can always get picks back if you want. I am not saying we should go tossing away all our picks (I am a build from within guy, myself) but I don't think it would hurt to try to improve this team this team a little bit. We may not make it past the first round this year, but a playoff run is possible.

I don't remember Gainey doing that too much. For most of his tenure he was a build from within guy. He rarely made a big splash. If anything he was too conservative. Everything changed after 2009. Then he got trigger happy, but probably was under a lot of pressure to do something at that point. Gauthier made a lot of deals. But then again, we had a lot of injuries and had to find replacements.

Last edited by andy28: 03-28-2013 at 07:55 PM.
andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:48 PM
BlackStar

I don't mind adding a player like Clowe this year, assuming that the cost wouldn't be anything too worrying judging by his play this year and MB's desire to keep our picks and good prospects. Plus, MB seems to know how to get what he wants for cheap.

I certainly want us to be as good as possible without hurting ourselves long-term. So a Clowe trade would be fine with me. Let's also not forget that we have two pretty important players in Diaz, Prust, and Bourque missing. We are not as dangerous as Pittsburgh, but we are every bit as good as Boston, and perhaps even better.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:11 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
And Plekanec is getting older, Markov is gone, one of the above could have a season ending injury etc and so on.

Prospects look good on paper and you never know how they will play in the NHL or if they struggle in the AHL like Leblanc.

This season is perfect to take a shot by adding just a couple of players to a very dynamic team.

Go for it Bergevin.
In MY opinion, they can afford to let a prospect and one 2nd OR third round pick go, that's it, in my view, and that is for TWO pieces (one D, one F). Unless they are getting someone signed for longer than this year, then they have to evaluate the hockey trade.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:18 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
And that mentality is what screwed us in the gainey years... Brought in guys like kaberle and Gomez we aren't in a position to win a cup I'm sorry, yeah okay **** happens but I'm not willing to bet our future years of contending on it
Gomez was a gamble that failed due to poor evaluation of McDonagh's progress.

Kaberle was a whole other thing. Spacek for Kaberle was ok per se, but the extra two years were an issue. But OBVIOUSLY, the Habs are in much better position to go for a Cup now, than when they traded for Kaberle. The Kaberle trade was to fill a PP need short-term. And maybe to replace Markov had he never returned.

If we move carefully, limit ourselves to dealing one draft pick (not 1st rounder) and one AHL prospect other than Kristo, Tinordi or Beaulieu, I think we still have plenty, plenty chips left. Hell we didn't even have that last 3rd rounder until we made the Cole deal.

But if we could parlay, say, Dumont or Holland and a high 3rd round Or low 2nd round pick for a good #5 D and 3rd/4th line F for a Cup run, I would do it. The experience alone gained for everyone else that will remain will be worth it, I think. But give up NO first round pick, and no player picked in the first round.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:26 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

This will probably make some people cringe.................