HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lets talk about Dave Bolland

Old
03-28-2013, 03:03 PM
Marotte Marauder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Kane and Sharp/Hayes.

Who gives a **** about +/-?
Everyone but HF Board.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:30 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Kane and Sharp/Hayes.

Who gives a **** about +/-?
yea kane plays with bolland a ton yet his +/- is so far above bollands(something like +12 vs -4), that it's pretty much impossible to chalk it up to luck or coincidence unless you just want to stick your head in the sand.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Trance Kuja
Retired for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
yea kane plays with bolland a ton yet his +/- is so far above bollands(something like +12 vs -4), that it's pretty much impossible to chalk it up to luck or coincidence unless you just want to stick your head in the sand.
Yeah, plus/minus doesn't tell the whole story, but when players on the team have such a large gap in plus/minus, it has merit in the argument.

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:08 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
Yeah, it could mainly mean that Kane gets to play with Toews occasionally at ES and Bolland doesn't. Other than that, not much.. perhaps Bolland has been stuck on the ice after a PK just when the ops PP has expired and they score. I think we all know that Bolland is far better defensively and Kane can be a liability without the puck. It certainly would be interesting to see each, because that stat makes no sense.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:16 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Yeah, it could mainly mean that Kane gets to play with Toews occasionally at ES and Bolland doesn't. Other than that, not much.. perhaps Bolland has been stuck on the ice after a PK just when the ops PP has expired and they score. I think we all know that Bolland is far better defensively and Kane can be a liability without the puck. It certainly would be interesting to see each, because that stat makes no sense.
yea or out could also(and more likely imo) mean that we don't score much when bolland is on the ice because he doesn't look good offensively, and that's backed by his sub .5ppg.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:17 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
Kane scoring, big time. Bolland invisible. Kane +/- positive. Bolland minus.

Why is Bolland minus? Amen choir: he's just unlucky with line changes or the stat plain sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post

The stat does suck because it doesn't take into account the quality of competition the player is playing against or the situations the player is being put in. Bolland is relied upon in defensive situations much more than Kane is.

Again, I am not making excuses for Bolland's play.
Quote:
The defense rests, all have weighed in.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:22 PM
BobbyJet

Yeah, I'll rest and leave with this final thought. I'd be a hell of a lot more concerned if Bolland played so much with Kane this season and Kane was not scoring.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Kruger and Fro do not play tough minutes at ES, where +/- applies.
our 4th line plays enough against the other teams top line... yes, they face tough minutes too

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Hawkaholic

If you watch the games A LOT of times Bolland goes back to our end to play defense, and Kane and Sharp go off. Its a constant occurance. That said, yeah Bolland isn't playing great, but he isn't AHL bad and he certainly hasn't been the worst Hawk, like +/-would suggest. He's having his worst year arguably, doesn't mean you just write him off for the rest of his career. Especially when he has been one of the more consistent forwards when it matters.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
our 4th line plays enough against the other teams top line... yes, they face tough minutes too
Not Bolland tough. Very few times they are out there against the top lines, if they are, its on the road, and they switch as soon as Q can.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

not really. It's the RS and not the POs AND Q trusts Krüger/Frolik

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 06:20 PM
phamJET

would the blackhawks be interested in bolland + draft picks for Ron hainsey?

phamJET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 06:21 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
not really. It's the RS and not the POs AND Q trusts Krüger/Frolik
..... against the 4th line maybe ... and occasoinally against the ops third line (that's when I get nervous)

Old
03-28-2013, 06:29 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
If you watch the games A LOT of times Bolland goes back to our end to play defense, and Kane and Sharp go off. Its a constant occurance. That said, yeah Bolland isn't playing great, but he isn't AHL bad and he certainly hasn't been the worst Hawk, like +/-would suggest. He's having his worst year arguably, doesn't mean you just write him off for the rest of his career. Especially when he has been one of the more consistent forwards when it matters.
...and thus he gets a + when they score. Who is coming on the ice to get the - with Bolly? What's the beef?

He must be the unluckiest guy in the league to have the bad line change that results in a goal 20 times already to mess up his +/-.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:47 PM
WarriorofTime

Bolland hasn't played great. But I know he's capable of playing better. I'm not ready to press PANIC yet and nitpick the Hawks apart at this point. I don't think he's been completely awful.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 06:49 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
..... against the 4th line maybe ... and occasoinally against the ops third line (that's when I get nervous)
Nah, Kruger and Frolik are good defensive players. I trust them to at least assist well in preventing a goal even if it's extremely rare they score.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:06 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

The Panic meter and knee jerking by some of the people on here is amazing.

Sharp starts slow people want him dropped to the 4th line or benched.

Bolland has a bad stretch and people are actually saying the Hawks should waive him?

I can just imagine what happens if Kane goes 5 games without scoring and I read some nut job from the HF Boards tried to kill him.

Last edited by Sir Psycho T: 03-28-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:16 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Agreed Mr. T, the guy has always been there and is being misused because they won't call up Pirri or acquire someone. Why blame him for that? This is Bolly we're talking about here.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 07:31 PM
TwistedWrister90

I know the third line has had great chemistry this year, but I really liked Bolland at 3C with Shaw on his wing.

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:11 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
...and thus he gets a + when they score. Who is coming on the ice to get the - with Bolly? What's the beef?

He must be the unluckiest guy in the league to have the bad line change that results in a goal 20 times already to mess up his +/-.
Okay. You seem to have all the answers. How do you explain such a discrepancy between the 2 players, if they have played on the same line virtually the entire season? I'll be curious to hear your answer, without the generalities we keep hearing. Please be specific.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:49 PM
massivegoonery

This isn't just a slow stretch from Bolland, it's been about the same for the past three years. And it's not just that he's not scoring, he's actually being horribly lazy about it.

I don't get how some of you guys that worship "grit" or whatever are going to stand here and go to the mattresses for the laziest player on the team.

It's more like you're defending the very idea of Bolland, of the value of having a gritty, Canadian, defensive, hard-working hockey player. And I added "Canadian" because otherwise Marcus Kruger is that player and we all know how you feel about him. No one seems to defending Michael Frolik much at all either, even though he has a better playoff record than Bolland over the last two seasons. Nobody's calling him a WARRIOR.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
This isn't just a slow stretch from Bolland, it's been about the same for the past three years. And it's not just that he's not scoring, he's actually being horribly lazy about it.

I don't get how some of you guys that worship "grit" or whatever are going to stand here and go to the mattresses for the laziest player on the team.

It's more like you're defending the very idea of Bolland, of the value of having a gritty, Canadian, defensive, hard-working hockey player. And I added "Canadian" because otherwise Marcus Kruger is that player and we all know how you feel about him. No one seems to defending Michael Frolik much at all either, even though he has a better playoff record than Bolland over the last two seasons. Nobody's calling him a WARRIOR.

I defend Frolik

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Okay. You seem to have all the answers. How do you explain such a discrepancy between the 2 players, if they have played on the same line virtually the entire season? I'll be curious to hear your answer, without the generalities we keep hearing. Please be specific.
I suspect it's a case of his not being productive on the offensive end. When he goes off, not necessarily more goals against occur but more goals for are being scored.

He hops off, another hops on and it's a better offensive situation. Can't really remember specific incidents, that's all I got from memory of watching almost all the games. I really wonder how many goals for Bolly has been on for.. Maybe someone can search that out at NHL.com

Old
03-28-2013, 10:27 PM
SLarmer28

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...34+45+46+63+67

Looks like last year's whipping boy gets the tough assignments (5 vs 5):

Kruger Offensive Zone Starts - 35.8%

Bolland Offensive Zone Starts - 49.5%

SLarmer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:26 PM
sketch22

vCash: 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLarmer28 View Post
Looks like last year's whipping boy gets the tough assignments (5 vs 5):

Kruger Offensive Zone Starts - 35.8%

Bolland Offensive Zone Starts - 49.5%
Tough zone, easy competition.
Bolland's QoC - 1.289
Kruger's QoC - -0.641

Q is still trying to use Bolland as his primary shutdown center (might be because he doesn't trust Shaw - QoC is -1.374) in addition to his new responsibilities as a scoring line player.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote