HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I don't think any gimmick draft would help us. Drafting ALL defensemen last draft was bad.
The more I think about it, the crazier it sounds. 7 Dmen! Only Dmen in a draft. There's absolutely no way you can sell the "We're taking the BPA at every corner" argument on that one, especially when you grab a couple of high schoolers.

An aside:
BTW, grabbing these high schoolers who plan on going to college used to be an interesting tactic in light of how long those pre-college guys would stay in the team's system, but in light of the Wheelers, Schultz', etc. of the world, it would seem there's almost little advantage to grabbing a kid who you hope blooms in the distant future while playing NCAA hockey. A) They can't really be showing up at your prospect camps (although that's been happening more in recent years) and B) if they do actually turn into something other than a future ECHLer, then they generally want the money of a more noteworthy pick - and can easily threaten to take their act elsewhere if they don't get it. Heck, they can go elsewhere just by wanting to play somewhere else than with the team who drafted them.

I wonder if more NCAA guys sign UFAs (whether drafted or not) than the amount of drafted NCAAers who actually sign with the team that drafted them?

Quote:
I don't like drafting goalies early, obviously, so I agree with Sid. So we draft and build and see need and pretend we have a GM to make trades to bring in what we don't have as a normal team would.
Goalies take soooo long to develop, it's almost not worth taking them anywhere whatsoever. Look at the situation we're in after having merely taken Poulin, Koskinen, Nilsson and Rosen. Not a one of them is currently in site of being a 30+ game #2 goalie here, much less a #1.

And I write that having been pretty high on both Poulin and Nilsson.

Almost better to just trade for them once developed, sign them as UFAs or hunt around Europe for guys aged 25-30 who can step right in.

Quote:
I'd trade the first rounder for a quality 1st line winger, FWIW. Easily. We need one moreso than anything else.
Who are you thinking of?

Old
03-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
Aleksander Barkov one of the top ranked guys is going to miss the remainder of the season due to a shoulder injury:

Quote:
NHL Director of European Scouting Goran Stubb told NHL.com that Barkov sustained a shoulder injury on the first shift of his team's playoff game against IFK Helsinki on Wednesday. Tappara earned a 3-1 victory to take the best-of-7 series, 4-1.

"He will probably miss rest of the season," Stubb told NHL.com. "The injury will not affect his [high] draft status."

Barkov finished the regular season with 21 goals, 48 points and a plus-18 rating in 53 games for Tappara. He produced four assists and a plus-3 rating in five playoff matches.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=15783

Old
03-28-2013, 06:58 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Aleksander Barkov one of the top ranked guys is going to miss the remainder of the season due to a shoulder injury:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=15783
Striet,Okposo,de Hann

we dont need any more shoulder problems

Old
03-31-2013, 05:38 PM
edmontonislesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I think we will be picking a goalie somwhere in this draft...
I've recently registered, so this my first post. If the Islanders obtain a second round pick through a trade (presumably with a playoff team), they may wish to consider selecting Tristan Jarry. He is the back-up goalie with the Edmonton Oil Kings, but has a better goals per game average and save percentage than the starter. It is not expected he will last past the second round.

Old
03-31-2013, 06:10 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonislesfan View Post
I've recently registered, so this my first post. If the Islanders obtain a second round pick through a trade (presumably with a playoff team), they may wish to consider selecting Tristan Jarry. He is the back-up goalie with the Edmonton Oil Kings, but has a better goals per game average and save percentage than the starter. It is not expected he will last past the second round.
edmontonislesfan, welcome to the board.

Old
03-31-2013, 06:25 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Welcome to the HF Boards. An Isles fan in Edmonton, interesting. That's gotta be a tough gig.

I assume you watch quite a bit of the Oil Kings... your thoughts on Reinhart and Lazar (he could be a candidate for the Isles) would be great.

Old
03-31-2013, 06:43 PM
Degeneration Rex

[QUOTE=edmontonislesfan;62869543]I've recently registered, so this my first post. If the Islanders obtain a second round pick through a trade (presumably with a playoff team), they may wish to consider selecting Tristan Jarry. He is the back-up goalie with the Edmonton Oil Kings, but has a better goals per game average and save percentage than the starter. It is not expected he will last past the second round.[/QUOTE

Welcome. I listen to just about every Oil Kings games because of Reinhart, heard nice things about Jarry on the broadcasts and the Pipeline Skhow.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:00 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
I actually really like Jarry....I think he will be a later round steal if he goes past the third round...Isles love picking teamates of guys they already hae drafted...

We have Reinhart and if the pick is at the right time or in the order and Lazar and Jarry are BPA at that time, I could def see us picking one or both

Old
03-31-2013, 09:35 PM
Degeneration Rex

Watched the replay of Edmonton"s game 5 against Kootenay Saturday, Lazar scored a nice backhanded roof shot in that game. After a slow start, Lazar has been on fire the last few months.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:52 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Watched the replay of Edmonton"s game 5 against Kootenay Saturday, Lazar scored a nice backhanded roof shot in that game. After a slow start, Lazar has been on fire the last few months.
I think thats important...

I know teams dont rely sole on stats but because if he would have scored 45-50 goals like he is capable of, he would be in the top5-7 disscusion...

IMO he will be a great value pik if he goas after 10...He may be right in our range...

I heard somone say that in junior he reminded them of casey cizikas with in terms of intensity and with top 6 offensive upside...

Old
04-02-2013, 01:39 AM
edmontonislesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Welcome to the HF Boards. An Isles fan in Edmonton, interesting. That's gotta be a tough gig.

I assume you watch quite a bit of the Oil Kings... your thoughts on Reinhart and Lazar (he could be a candidate for the Isles) would be great.
Thanks for your welcoming messages. I wrote a lengthy response this morning which was rejected and lost. This time I will send a condensed version from memory.

Griffin Reinhart has had another solid season with the Oil Kings, although overshadowed publicity-wise by Keegan Lowe (a Carolina pick). His main attributes, from my perspective, are his no mistakes, simple, defense, ability to pass the puck to the forwards, and shot from the point. I don't think he will ever be a great rushing defenseman, but that is not why the Islanders drafted him. He turns twenty in January 2014, so I believe will have to be with Islanders or Oil Kings this fall. Matt Donovan is ahead of him, and maybe the Islanders would want only one rookie defenceman.

Curtis Lazar has been playing great since January, as has been mentioned by others. He will probably rise in the next 2013 Draft Ratings. Besides his adequate size and skating and ability to score, his other attributes are his defensive play and willingness to stand up for his teammates. Also, he can play centre or wing. Although he has more goals than assists lately, he is not known as a selfish player. As mentioned, if the Islanders draft later than 10th (we hope), Lazar should be considered. A character player in the Cizikas mold, with perhaps more offensive upside. If the Islanders are drafting in the six to nine range, they may wish to consider Sean Monahan, a centre having a very good year on a bad Ottawa OHL team.

Last edited by edmontonislesfan: 04-05-2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Spelled "welcoming" wrong ine first sentence of the reply
Old
04-02-2013, 06:03 PM
steveat

I'm just checking out the International scouting Bureau and they have Nichushkin 2nd overall!

Seth
Nichushkin
MacKinnon
Drouin
Nurse

In that order.

If I was snow...I'd do my damnest to get MacKinnon and put him on JT's wing 8-)

Old
04-04-2013, 12:17 PM
StrongIslanders90

dont know where he projects but I would love for us to draft Valentin Zykov at some point...

IMO he will be a late 1st round pick but if he went in the 2nd or third I would love for us to take a chance on him if he was BPA at that time....

He's 6'0 205 pounds LW RHS and can Score goals...He had 40 goals in the Q this year and I believe it was his first in NA...

we dont have 2nd this year so IDK if we have a shot at him...

Old
04-04-2013, 11:56 PM
seafoam

Quote:
dont know where he projects but I would love for us to draft Valentin Zykov at some point...

IMO he will be a late 1st round pick but if he went in the 2nd or third I would love for us to take a chance on him if he was BPA at that time....

He's 6'0 205 pounds LW RHS and can Score goals...He had 40 goals in the Q this year and I believe it was his first in NA...

we dont have 2nd this year so IDK if we have a shot at him...
Well he's been named QMJHL Rookie of the Year..

http://www.le-drakkar.com/article/va...-dans-la-lhjmq

I think he will go in the mid to late first round. He plays for Baie Comeau, a team that doesn't get nearly as much coverage as the more well known teams in the Q (Quebec/Halifax).

From everywhere I have read he is a right winger who can do everything offensively, but is mainly a goalscorer. Apparently, he plays a North American game and isn't afraid to get his nose dirty to score goals. He is strong on his skates but still acks above average speed. I have not read any reports on him being lazy as far as backchecking, etc. On the prospects board, a scout called Zykov and I quote, "from the hashmarks to the net is as good as any 2013 prospect in the QMJHL". Remeber, there are a lot of good players in the Q this year MacKinnon, Drouin, Mantha, Erne just to name a few. I understand this is one scouts opinion, but just imagine him riding shotgun with JT.

Old
04-05-2013, 06:15 PM
edmontonislesfan

Quote:
I think our system is to the point where we can take those later round chances.

Also I share your thought on Ristolinen
We all know the Islanders have done very well with later round (say three and up) draft choices since 2008. They are obviously doing something right. At the risk of not knowing how many players the Islanders may have under contract this fall in the organization and what openings there may be in Bridgeport, the following two older players might be considered who have been passed over in two consecutive drafts:

JC Lipon- RW Kamloops Blazers- Did not come into his own until this year. Make the Canadian Junior Team (Christmas 2012) and is a leading scorer so far in the WHL playoffs. No longer under the radar, he may need to be taken in the third round.

Myles Bell- LW Kelowna Rockets- Was not drafted due to serious legal and health issues associated with a car crash in 2011 (don't want to say any more).
Previously played defense, and could be brought along as an offensive defenseman or a (semi) power forward. Someone is going to take a chance on him and why not the Islanders, who did an excellent job with Casey Cizikas. Might be available in the fifth round due to the circumstances, although his skill level is far higher than that.

Another player with Kamloops, Brendan Ranford- LW, may be worth considering as an overage free agent. He was drafted by the Flyers in 2010 (seventh round), but never signed, and had a tryout with Montreal last year. The rap on him has been that he is small, is a bad skater, and has a bad attitude. If all of this were true, he would be the worst hockey player in history. However, although his height (5' 10") won't increase, he has put on weight (182 lbs.), his skating has improved, and he is popular with his teammates, coaches and fans. He will likely come cheap (which the Islanders would like), and might be worth a chance if there is a place in the organization.

Kelowna is playing Kamloops in the second round of the playoffs. Kelowna lost the first three games to Seattle, all in overtime, and then won the next four, two in overtime.

Edmonton is playing Medicine Hat- Lazar v. Shinkaruk. BTW, when I previously said Curtis Lazar had "adequate" size and skating, I meant adequate in comparison to those players being considered in the first half of the first round of the 2013 Draft. His speed is NHL-quality already.

Old
04-05-2013, 06:59 PM
bigbren92

First time in so long

Today NHL.com released their final draft ranking, and for the first time in such a long time, I don't feel like I even need to read them. For the first time in a long time, I'm looking to the playoffs and not the draft and it feels so good

Old
04-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Jester9881

Still shocked that no one took a chance with Myles Bell..... he even went to camp with the Rangers and they didn't sign him.

Old
04-07-2013, 04:02 PM
edmontonislesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Still shocked that no one took a chance with Myles Bell..... he even went to camp with the Rangers and they didn't sign him.
Can you sign a player who has never been drafted and is still draft eligible?

Old
04-17-2013, 09:44 AM
TheZec

10 days without a post here... playoff push > draft!

Old
04-17-2013, 10:36 AM
seafoam

I wonder what big name player will drop this year. Nichushkin seems like the obvious one, but there is always a suprise player that dramatically falls.

Old
04-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZec View Post

I love it

Old
04-19-2013, 12:21 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Haha, crickets. I normally live in this thread as I've always been a draft junkie, I guess we all have been considering the recent past. Playoffs baby, we'll worry about the draft later.

Old
04-19-2013, 07:16 PM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZec View Post
100%. More importantly they are winning under pressure. I don't know how anyone couldn't enjoy this.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:09 PM
Poliz24

The draft interests me alot. Not saying I am not interested about the Isles and how they are playing, but I like seeing how NHL teams draft nowadays. But yea this playoff push is AWESOME. LETS GO ISLANDERS!!!

Old
04-19-2013, 09:23 PM
KrisBeKreame

What do you guys think of Adam Erne, in the later first round?

Closed Thread