HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs on Tradecentre Part 4 (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 05:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
First I don't see Gionta as a long-term solution for us.

Secondly, whether Jagr re-sign with us or not, we're getting rid of 5 million.

Third, i'll take Jagr in the playoffs this year over Gio. Talented big body.

Fourth, Plekanec with Jagr, baby. Book it.

I just don't seen any negatives other than "oh Gio is our captain and he's a trooper".

Now as far as adding a 2nd pick, well it's a matter of them being worried of taking Gio's contract.
First of all, Gionta only has 1 year left at 5 mil, his contract IMHO is a non issue.

Second, Jagr was a ghost last year for Phillie. He did nothing the last 4 games if I recall despite 1st line ice.

Third, trading a pick just to dump a contract when the player is on your 1st line and producing plus is your captain is dumb.

Old
03-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
and two games ago we sat there and watched as a no talent hack went down two weight classes to goad our captain into a fight and no one said boo.

moen is campbell tough ( the scrap was pretty close), prust is hurt and we have no one that is gonna go with lucic thorton or mcquaid.
Having all of the talent in the world is not going to help if our undersized forwards get run out of the rink. im not saying we have to match up with them man for man, but right now they have three if not 4 ( if you include chara) guys that we literally have NO answer for.

Yes last night was good ( although I dont think either team played great) but if we want to go to the third round we are likely going to play the bruins. There is a BIG difference between pulling out two shootout wins in the regular season and beating a team ( any team) four games out of 7
I dont think we need a heavy weight. A tough 3rd/4th liber who can actually play a gritty game, forcheck well and score a goal or two would help more. Prust returns, Moen picks up his game, Bourque and Diaz return as well, and there is a much improved lineup.

Add a McLeod to that and that would be a team that can compete with anyone and, yes, can beat boston in a 7game set.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Nedved

In two years leblanc will be a big part of our bottom 6, 3rd line.

The what have you done for me lately...

the year is a right off; that's fine, I'm interested to see how he reacts to this year but he appears to have a good head on his shoulders. I think he'll bounce back, quite nicely.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:05 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
First of all, Gionta only has 1 year left at 5 mil, his contract IMHO is a non issue.
I wouldn't say one more 5 million is a non-issue. Anyway I think Gio should leave at least by the summer. It's a new era of the Habs and we'll be getting younger.

Quote:
Second, Jagr was a ghost last year for Phillie. He did nothing the last 4 games if I recall despite 1st line ice
Doesn't mean the same thing would happen here.

Quote:
Third, trading a pick just to dump a contract when the player is on your 1st line and producing plus is your captain is dumb.
We have many 2nd picks, plus he's not the player that matters on the line and him being captain should never matter. Mike Kean was our captain. Nobody gives a ****.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaddict View Post
Trading Lablanc now, when his value could easily be at an all-time low?
Clowe's value is at an all-time low too.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:29 PM
shutehinside

At some point MB owes it to the guys on the ice to make a trade and get them some help and depth for the playoffs. We need defense and a forward to come in and be part of the line up in case of injuries.

With Diaz and Bourque not even skating, we NEED a couple of warm bodies to come in. I can't imagine MB not making a couple of moves.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:38 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions999 View Post
Trade him now Leblanc is overrated... big mistake picking first round...
Leblanc is a bit overrated because he's a Montrealer. That said, I believe in Timmins and still think he can amount to a pretty good player. That said, I would not lose any sleep tradign him away. The only guys on the farm that are pretty much untradeable are Tinordi and Beaulieu.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Alexdaman wrote:
'' Well Bouwmeester was acquired from the panthers for Jordan Leopold and a 3rd round pick. Now Bouwmeester as become somewhat of a persona non grata in Calgary we could probably get him for a 3rd and Yannick Weber.

Then we could ship him off somewhere else this summer. Altough it would cost us a 3rd and Weber which I'm not entirely convince it would actually be a good idea. ''

3rd + Weber...sounds good, but not sure Calgary will go for it...I'd take the risk but I prefer a grittier dman (Therrien+Bergevin may want a grittier dman...let's wait and see).

----------------------- -----------------------------------

The Doors wrote:
'' Boyle, Bouwmeester, Klesla, Regehr, Robidas, Streit... Bergevin needs to flex a little bit and add a defenceman. ''

I'd love to add Robidas (right-hander)...IF the price is not too expensive, but I'm sure it won't be cheap. The price won't be cheap for any of the dmen mentioned above, but I hope I'm wrong. Robidas is a playoff warrior, imo. He's also good insurance in case of any injury to our top 3 (ex: Markov) and also good insurance in case Diaz doesn't come back this season.

Gorges-PK Subban
Markov-Emelin
Bouillon-Robidas
Diaz (injured)
Tinordi (solid as 7th-8th dman for this season...or maybe grooming him for next season or this year's playoffs?).
Bouwmeester was picked up a few days before he became a UFA which is why the cost was low. You won't get him for less than a 1st pick plus a prospect.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:24 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Leblanc is a bit overrated because he's a Montrealer. That said, I believe in Timmins and still think he can amount to a pretty good player. That said, I would not lose any sleep tradign him away. The only guys on the farm that are pretty much untradeable are Tinordi and Beaulieu.
This. Bournival isn't exactly 'untradeable' but I wouldn't trade him unless it's for something unbelievable.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:28 PM
ClasslessGuy

I hope we don't go after a rental. We need someone that fit the new style + fit our needs and is staying here long term

Old
03-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Habby4Life

IMO Rental is not the solution. MB needs to use all the picks this year to continue to stock assets. I'd like to see a move at the deadline but not a rental. Some depth at defence, but it depends what is out on the market. Wednesday is going to be an interesting day!

Old
03-28-2013, 08:33 PM
doc lafleur

Would you trade Ryder for the package the Bruins offered Cow town?

Last edited by doc lafleur: 03-28-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old
03-28-2013, 08:53 PM
ChoseLa

We could see some big trades for the Habs as Bergevin might want to mold the team as he wants it to be, he innerited this team and just added Prust and Bouillon, as Armstrong is a non-factor.

I hope it's lean on the rougher and tougher side as this team is too much of the same on forward.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:54 PM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc lafleur View Post
Would you trade Ryder for the package the Bruins offered Cow town?
what was the package?

Old
03-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I wouldn't say one more 5 million is a non-issue. Anyway I think Gio should leave at least by the summer. It's a new era of the Habs and we'll be getting younger.

Doesn't mean the same thing would happen here.

We have many 2nd picks, plus he's not the player that matters on the line and him being captain should never matter. Mike Kean was our captain. Nobody gives a ****.
The UFA market is not exactly overflowing with superstars. Maybe a few good buys but nothin g to justify dumping Gionta just to create cap space. We will have more than enough room by dumping Kaberle to do anything we want to do.

Jagr was 40 last year and is 41 this year, if anything he is getting worse not better.

Just because we have a lot of 2nd rounders doesn't make it smart to give one away for nothing while trading away our captain. That's double dumb.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kade View Post
Bouwmeester was picked up a few days before he became a UFA which is why the cost was low. You won't get him for less than a 1st pick plus a prospect.
A 3rd and Reinprecht was it ? That's just for his rights.

Robidas sucks.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:02 PM
vokiel
Registered Settler

I bet the habs will do habsolutely nothing.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
The UFA market is not exactly overflowing with superstars. Maybe a few good buys but nothin g to justify dumping Gionta just to create cap space. We will have more than enough room by dumping Kaberle to do anything we want to do.

Jagr was 40 last year and is 41 this year, if anything he is getting worse not better.

Just because we have a lot of 2nd rounders doesn't make it smart to give one away for nothing while trading away our captain. That's double dumb.
Nothing in your post made me change my mind. Your arguments against are not strong enough.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
We currently have around 9M$ of year averaged salary in cap space available, if I'm not mistaken. We don't need to deal anything until this summer.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Nothing in your post made me change my mind. Your arguments against are not strong enough.
Change your mind or not Gionta is going nowhere.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
We currently have around 9M$ of year averaged salary in cap space available, if I'm not mistaken. We don't need to deal anything until this summer.
Even in the summer, with Kaberle gone and possibly Ryder, and 80% of the roster signed with about 11 mil in cap space. If we add anything more than depth guys, other salary would go to make room anyways.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:24 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
I bet the habs will do habsolutely nothing.
I won't be mad. I think it would be ok for this year anyway to go with what we have and if we bow out early then so be it. I do however think that MB should be active on draft day and maybe put a package together to move up in the draft and get us a better player. This is the deepest draft in years and we have Timmins and all his magic so why not go for it on draft day?

Old
03-28-2013, 09:24 PM
sammy d

I'll tell you exactly what our GM is thinking. We are are on the cusp, not a contender like Boston or Pittsburgh but close. Making a big trade now to go for it is foolish, because it doesn't matter who we get we're not going to the final and ripping the team apart when its doing so well is dumb. He'll tweak a bit I'm sure but then and only then when he considers us a contender will he make a bold move. He will not do something stupid, he has a plan, relax boys and girls, next year may be the year to push hard, certainly not this year.

That is all.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:27 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
I'll tell you exactly what our GM is thinking. We are are on the cusp, not a contender like Boston or Pittsburgh but close. Making a big trade now to go for it is foolish, because it doesn't matter who we get we're not going to the final and ripping the team apart when its doing so well is dumb. He'll tweak a bit I'm sure but then and only then when he considers us a contender will he make a bold move. He will not do something stupid, he has a plan, relax boys and girls, next year may be the year to push hard, certainly not this year.

That is all.
And if we get to the conference finals...and get ousted because we just needed that little bit extra, then it will be on the GM. He doesn't need to make big moves...but if you're a top 4 or 5 team you should take a run at the cup. It makes no sense not to.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Mrb1p

So many talk about old farts....

We need players that can still play.(Aside from Jagr, because Plekanec.)

Closed Thread