HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bell offered 1.4 G$ for TV rights to NHL

Old
08-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Rock On

vCash: 500
Bell offered 1.4 G$ for TV rights to NHL

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/210497.html

It's for Hockey Night in Canada and Canadiens games on RDS. Maybe it'll finally be broadcast in HD ...

Last edited by Rock On: 08-11-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Rock On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
...gillion...?

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 08:13 PM
LeHab

This means about $120 millions US / year so about $4 millions / team. We may be getting a $50 millions cap soon.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 08:16 PM
GoHabsGO252006

Over doubling the yearly amount paid by CBC, they are clearly trying to steal Hockey Night in Canada and develop it even more.

I do wonder what CBC will do if it loses HNIC, which is clearly their best programming and absolutely without a doubt their biggest and one of a few moneymakers.

Does CBC really have the kind of money necessary to put up a competitive bid against Bell? I don't think so but I would like CBC to retain the rights, it's a tradition thing.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Habs13

How would this effect watching games on videotron?

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 08:31 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
...gillion...?
It's Billion. G is Billion.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 10:03 PM
NewBlood

Doesn't Bell Globemedia already own RDS?

NewBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 10:04 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
Doesn't Bell Globemedia already own RDS?
Yea they do

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 12:46 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs911 View Post
Yea they do
sweet....

as long as i dont lose my hockey on rds and bell makes it better i'm good....plus i dont wanna get damn sympatico....i like my illico

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 01:06 AM
znk

I might not like what CBC does most of the time but losing HNIC would be terrible. I can not imagine Canada withouth Hockey Night In Canada. I hope this dosent mean it's going to be done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wZdjkEbhKQ

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 02:32 AM
Ford Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I might not like what CBC does most of the time but losing HNIC would be terrible. I can not imagine Canada withouth Hockey Night In Canada. I hope this dosent mean it's going to be done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wZdjkEbhKQ
I will rejoice if they lose the rights. I can't imagine anyone doing worse of a job covering the rest of Canada's teams (other than the Leafs). It's not like HNIC will be cancelled, it will just be on another network. I'd imagine you'd get much better coverage, and maybe a Saturday night game or two in English (other than when we play the Laffs). I don't know about you guys, but Ron MacLean is really making me wanna vomit. If they had half a brain they'd send Cherry and his sidekick packing.

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 06:13 AM
Firthbird

Send a message via MSN to Firthbird
Correct me if I am wrong, but even iof TSN/CTV does get the rights to the games, they do not have the rights to the HNIC slogan. So really HNIC will be no more

Firthbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 07:27 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Everything has a price. Not to mention that most, if not all, of the HNIC personalities have contracts with CBC which become void if CBC loses HNIC. The thing I'd be worried about is that CTV/TSN wouldn't be likely to have the extra coverage, like after the games when they interview the players and stuff.

Anyway CBC can reasonably match the offer, but it would put them in a very tough position where their margins would pretty much disappear. I just hope that they have it on CTV instead of TSN.. it would have a better "feel" to it than watching it on a major sports broadcast channel.

To someone who mentioned the Toronto bias of TSN: As if CBC isn't Toronto biased?? Also CBC games are already broadcast in HD..

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firthbird View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but even iof TSN/CTV does get the rights to the games, they do not have the rights to the HNIC slogan. So really HNIC will be no more
I beleive that's correct. But you would think that CBC would unload the HNIC rights to CTV. No point letting it die.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 10:21 AM
x96mnn

My main concern is what channel would the games now be shown on and would Bell now use this as leverage in getting people to buy their center ice package.

I am very happy with my CBC Saturday night hockey in HD along with my RDS coverage of the habs games.

If Bell does have a larger offer that the CBC cannot match I hope the Canadian population who only receive TFC (AKA Two flipping channels or FREEBETV) who's only hockey fix comes on CBC Saturday nights receive an alternative solution as it would be a shame regardless how small the population may be to lose their right to watch the game they helped grow.

x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 11:02 AM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by x96mnn View Post
My main concern is what channel would the games now be shown on and would Bell now use this as leverage in getting people to buy their center ice package.

I am very happy with my CBC Saturday night hockey in HD along with my RDS coverage of the habs games.

If Bell does have a larger offer that the CBC cannot match I hope the Canadian population who only receive TFC (AKA Two flipping channels or FREEBETV) who's only hockey fix comes on CBC Saturday nights receive an alternative solution as it would be a shame regardless how small the population may be to lose their right to watch the game they helped grow.
Neither Bell or the NHL are stupid. The NHL isn't going to sign a deal for decreased coverage, nor is Bell going to pay double what CBC pays to reach a smaller audience.

Can you imagine the backlash against Bell and the NHL if they didn't show national over-the-air games on Sat nights? And why wouldn't they, the market for it is very big and established, probably why Bell wants it in the first place.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Ford Prefect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
Neither Bell or the NHL are stupid. The NHL isn't going to sign a deal for decreased coverage, nor is Bell going to pay double what CBC pays to reach a smaller audience.

Can you imagine the backlash against Bell and the NHL if they didn't show national over-the-air games on Sat nights? And why wouldn't they, the market for it is very big and established, probably why Bell wants it in the first place.
Yeah, I totally agree. The only thing I see them doing is either doing what the canucks do (select games are available only on PPV), or what the Leafs do (they started a network and 8 of their games are available only on their network, which you need a digital box and have to pay 7.95 a month for). It wouldn't shock me to see them implement some of these options to increase the cashflow, but I don't think you'll see them tinker with a good formula.

I don't really care, to be honest. I'm in Toronto now and I have to pay for CI to get the games anyways.

Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 11:39 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
I will rejoice if they lose the rights. I can't imagine anyone doing worse of a job covering the rest of Canada's teams (other than the Leafs). It's not like HNIC will be cancelled, it will just be on another network. I'd imagine you'd get much better coverage, and maybe a Saturday night game or two in English (other than when we play the Laffs). I don't know about you guys, but Ron MacLean is really making me wanna vomit. If they had half a brain they'd send Cherry and his sidekick packing.
Come on man. CBC was the best for a long while I dont see why they cant get back there. They made mistakes but still. They chose the habs for the playoffs. And they have the best game openings.
http://media.putfile.com/Canadiens-Pre-Game-Show
From the 3:40 mark to the 8:00 mark they dont say a word. They let the atmosphere come to your house. This is the way it should be.
Meanwhile on RDS you have Normand Flyn talking about the importance of making a good first pass, then you have commercials and then Jacques Demerse and they go to the ice after the Anthems. That just sucks.

Last edited by znk: 08-12-2006 at 11:45 AM.
Old
08-12-2006, 12:02 PM
bayrider

This is great news for us RDS fans. Sure its nice to have Habs games on SRC/TVQ but their production is crap! and throughout Canada, you can get RDS for $2 a month!

Since Bellglobe Media owns RDS, and have said to be interested in purchasing the French rights, it secures RDS as the primary Habs station for all 82 games (in french).

On top of that, we might get more english games, and maybe in HD with TSN/CTV. We have nothing to lose. The biggest losers will probably be Laffs fans who love Don Cherry and Senile Cole pimping their players.

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 12:10 PM
As the Glorious Weep

Doesn't that mean that Bell will only offer hockey on "Bell ExpressVu" which means that you'll have to get satellite to get hockey?

As the Glorious Weep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 12:35 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by As the Glorious Weep View Post
Doesn't that mean that Bell will only offer hockey on "Bell ExpressVu" which means that you'll have to get satellite to get hockey?
No not at all, though you would need at least cable to watch games if it where to happen. Bell Globemedia owns CTV/TSN/RDS/TQS/NHL Network and several more..so if they get the rights CTV/TSN will be the new saturday nights station to watch hockey in english and RDS will have complete rights for Habs hockey (they only have the rights with the Habs not the NHL) and the deal is expiring soon.

Old
08-12-2006, 12:39 PM
VanNistelrooy

RDS makes millions of $$$ with the Habs... I'm sure they'll resign sooner than later.

VanNistelrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 12:45 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post
RDS makes millions of $$$ with the Habs... I'm sure they'll resign sooner than later.
The RDS station does not swim in money.

Old
08-12-2006, 12:47 PM
bayrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
The RDS station does not swim in money.
But Bell does, and with around 600,000-700,000 viewers for Habs games and as much as 1,000,000 on saturday games, it's only a logical decision for Bell to renegotiate a new contract for French language Habs games (on RDS).

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 12:51 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayrider View Post
But Bell does, and with around 600,000-700,000 viewers for Habs games and as much as 1,000,000 on saturday games, it's only a logical decision for Bell to renegotiate a new contract for French language Habs games (on RDS).
yea but Bell wants complete rights, thats why there trying to get with this deal.