HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs and Blues discussing David Backes?

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 06:58 PM
EucaLEAFtys

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
The only thing the Leafs offer up for other teams star are their scrubs . Backes has more value then any one piece the leafs have right now . That could change . but for now it is the sad fact .
Well, Gardiner isn't a "scrub", so I don't know where or from whom you're getting your information.

Backes is a very good player.. I've not denied that.. but Gardiner is also a very good player. Are they on the same level? Of course not, because Backes is far more proven than Gardiner is.

As for other Leaf payers who routinely get offered in trade proposals on this board, some can legitimately be labelled "scrubs" while others are clearly not.

This is all, IMO, a moot point anyway, since such a trade is highly unlikely to happen because Nonis has already stated that he's not going to trade prospects/ picks/ young players for older players. I also don't see him depleting his deficient defence core to acquire another forward, especially since there aren't any openings in that area of the roster.

If a trade between the Leafs and the Blues were to happen, the Leafs would be offering a forward in order to get a reliable top-4 right-shot defensive defenceman, but I seriously doubt even this kind of deal would happen.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:02 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFD22 View Post
What about Kessel + Bozak + something else (Gunnarsson?) for Backes + Stewart
If the Blues did this deal they would get eaten alive against the teams in the Western Conference. Taking away most of our size and grit and replacing it with small, soft players.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:10 PM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
Gards is small! Maybe make him a forward.
He may not be the optimal size for an NHL defenceman, but he can still be effective playing that position by using his smarts and his speed to compensate for his lack of height. Not every defenceman on a team needs to be a big, hulking brute.

As for converting him into a forward, I certainly wouldn't object to it, since he's young enough to make such a switch if he wanted to. In fact, with his skill-set and other attributes, I could easily see him as a play-making center or winger.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:27 PM
SteenMachine

So Leafs offered a bunch of crap for Backes and Armstrong said we're not good trading partners please stop asking? Maybe HF does imitate real life.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:45 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Why would St. Louis trade their captain for a bunch of maybe's?
Gardiner+Frattin a bunch of maybes??

I'm not saying St. Louis should just go for it, but don't be a complete homer.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:00 PM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
Gardiner+Frattin a bunch of maybes??

I'm not saying St. Louis should just go for it, but don't be a complete homer.
If we traded Backes for Gardiner + Frattin, Armstrong would be run out town

Old
03-28-2013, 08:05 PM
plikestechno

Why would the Blues even trade Backes? He's locked up forever at a nice price and is the heart and soul of that team. Every team in the league would be tripping over themselves to try and get him.

The dumbest trade rumours come out of Toronto. Maybe they are getting Crosby too.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Albert View Post
OK, I will indulge your hyperbole. I did not say "overpaid" first of all. I said as one of the highest paid on a medium budget team. Not a huge contract in relation to other bigger contracts on other teams, but this team needs more than he is producing for that budget hit. Your translation is your words not mine. The team deparately needs a LHD to be a steadying influence and make those around him better. I added the center with potential, as the team is thin there, especially if we trade Backes. I hope he is back to his 25-30 goal average last year and am not a huge advocate of breaking up the nucleus we have, but for the right deal, Backes could be a good trade chip.
Thin. That is an understatement. How do you plan to replace Backes? Free Agency? Because that is a good way to get a player that a budget team can afford. Lets see - our center would be Berglund, Sobotka, Nichol, and WHO.

Look we can address depth at D though trade. And you are right when you say we need an upgrade at d, but trading from a position of weakness only opens up another large hole. You want to trade a winger - please that makes sense, but not a center.

And Backes was making the same amount last year. Did you complain about him then? My guess is no.

Bottom line, I am just as frusterated by his lack of offensive punch this year as you are. I don't like him paired with Stewart.

Last edited by Frenzy1: 03-28-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old
03-28-2013, 08:44 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Again, i'm not saying its a good trade for St. Louis to do, but its not like Toronto is just giving up two 5th round picks or smthg.

They're young, but you know what you're getting from the two of them.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:45 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

i'd do backes for kessel and another good spec that'd be sick. except for that we'd need a center

cuz we have ten million wingers and two Natural centers, though Sobotka has been great at center

Old
03-28-2013, 08:49 PM
stlblues9

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
i'd do backes for kessel and another good spec that'd be sick. except for that we'd need a center

cuz we have ten million wingers and two Natural centers, though Sobotka has been great at center
So you would trade a weakness for a strength? Blues have Oshie, Stewart and Tarasenko on the right side.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:55 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
So you would trade a weakness for a strength? Blues have Oshie, Stewart and Tarasenko on the right side.
Yeah i know. I was just kind of saying that on impulse. obviously when i put more thought into it makes no sense. I've just always loved Kessel and he's the kind of finisher we need you know. Tho it is looking like Frank could be that guy very soon.

Old
03-28-2013, 08:57 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
I can't speak for other Leafs fans but I would not want to trade either one of them.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:10 PM
stlblues9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I can't speak for other Leafs fans but I would not want to trade either one of them.
You wouldn't trade either one for Backes or am I reading that wrong?

Old
03-28-2013, 09:12 PM
RomanianLeafs

Quote:
oshie is a rw now ? not following blues to much and i knew before he's a center...i love your right wingers anyway...

Old
03-28-2013, 09:35 PM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribouPINE View Post
Honestly, this wouldn't COMPLETELY shock me.

He's gone from 62 points to 54 points to 48 points this year (extrapolated over a full season).

Sometimes teams cut bait on a player for whatever reason (decline? salary? something in the room? Just can't win with them ala Philly's theory on Richards/Carter, etc).

St. Louis is a bit of a cash strapped team and have a bunch of notable RFA's to re-sign this summer (Stewart, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Berglund, etc).

I don't think they are trading him. I still think he's very good. But over the years guys like him have been traded countless times before (The Arnotts of the world).
Power forwards decline faster then snipers and could be done by age 30-31... Like Clowe for example, or Franzen to a lesser extent... at 28 i'm not sure how much mileage he has left. Gardiner is to steep of a price who is just starting out his career... I would love Backes though leafs and are top 3 in goals this year so i'm not concerned as much about the offense (although have played 1-2 more games then some teams) so he would bring some much needed strong defensive play to our top 6. Gardiner though? Yikes I don't no. Don't expect him to be traded though

Old
03-28-2013, 09:43 PM
LEAFS FAN 4 EVER
GO LEAFS GO

Quote:
You wouldn't trade either one for Backes or am I reading that wrong?
That's correct. I wouldn't trade either one for Backes.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:47 PM
HespelerOG

As much as I would love to have Backes on the Leafs. I just don't see this happening. Backes is so so good. 60pt centre who hits 275 times a year. No way STL trades him. I would love Stewart off your hands.

To STL

Grabo
Gunner

To Tor

Stewart
Schwartz

Old
03-28-2013, 09:47 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
I'll admit Backes is worth more than Gardiner right now, but I'd personally be hesitant to do Backes FOR Gardiner anyway.

Not doing Backes straight up for Frattin would be ridiculous.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:50 PM
stlblues9

Quote:
Frattin wouldn't even dress for St. Louis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HespelerOG View Post
As much as I would love to have Backes on the Leafs. I just don't see this happening. Backes is so so good. 60pt centre who hits 275 times a year. No way STL trades him. I would love Stewart off your hands.

To STL

Grabo
Gunner

To Tor

Stewart
Schwartz
I wouldn't trade either for both.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:53 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

leafs should be looking for more of a pt per game center
as much as i like backes as a fine 2nd liner)

Old
03-28-2013, 10:26 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

This thread has run its course (again).

Closed Thread