HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy28 View Post
His save pct has. You look at a guy like Rinne and most years they arent that much different, except he had one season where he was like .930, and not until he was like 29 or 30.
After tonight Rinne's save percentage is probably sitting around .900. And he's had the benefit of a coach that has pulled him from some blowouts. Again, why we left Price in that TO game I'll never know.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:31 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
He allowed 4 goal in what 6 minutes... If you want to see real good look at Budaj for the rest of the game... That was real good.

I know that I tend to overanalyse the goals allowed by Carey and I know that I'm biased because I don't like him that much . But a lot of you do the sane thing in reverse.

You focus on the 4 good saves a goalie made during a period while that same goalie allowed 4 goal and you say he was amazing. Hell I expect at least that from my starting goalie in a game because no matter how you play. Bad bounce and good scoring chances will come your way. It's how well a goalie react to them that makes him a good goalie not how well he moves between the post.

Yesterday for example, in the third, Budaj had a lot of scoring chances but allowed only 1 goal... After the 3 first one that didn't go in it gave energy to the players instead of take it from the players. Price allowed 4 goals in a 10 minutes span... You can't be amazing when you allow 4 goals in 10 minutes sorry you will never make me believe that.
Budaj was great last night, but come on, Carey was making some stellar saves until the cluster**** that is called the Habs second period. How do you leave Marchand THAT open in the crease (seriously!?), have a PK with a broken stick cross crease to Bergeron, leave Hamilton AND Chara in the crease on what is essentially a shooting gallery and finished with a perfect shot, a 2 on 1 with Horton putting it perfectly up high even though Carey got over. NONE of those were stoppable. Meanwhile he made it look easy many times and then some very key saves.

Budaj made saves where all he had to do was be positionally sound (which is not easy for his size) and he did that. He was solid, not miraculous. He didn't stop Seguin's goal on which he had no chance (another great defensive lapse by us). The SO, that was just magic and full props to Boods, I'm still reeling from that (the amount of advice he gives Carey on shooters may be part of the reason).

You are blaming Price for 4 goals in 10 minutes (if that is correct) when you should be blaming the defense. Seriously for all those 4 goals, please tell me how they were even remotely stoppable and where the defense was.

Price made 26 saves in the 1st and 2nd (many of them big ones, just look at the highlights portion on the NHL.com recap for the game).

Rask made 11 in that span, before unravelling completely.

Even in that 2nd period, he made 17 saves.

Anyone who was watching that game unbiasedly would be more concerned with how badly the D failed than what the goalie could have done to prevent it. It was such a huge win cuz we actually played very crappy for a long period of time before the comeback. I would rather not play like that and more like we did in Pitt, but the fatigue did get to us. MT must have done something magical between the 2nd and 3rd. I almost think he purposely has us play horribly in the 2nd to make us think he's Al Pacino for all the 3rd period comebacks.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:33 PM
durojean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Well hot diggity, Lundqvist is terrible, he let us pot 5 in a period and a half. Better tell Sather before he foolishly puts his faith in the guy.
In that game Lundvist was not good. My assesment on Price is not based on only one game. And it's not even the fact that he allows a lot of goal that bugs me because he really don't.

What bugs me the most with Price is that a 1 goal lead in the third seems to never be enough. It's that when his team dominate and can't score he always seems to allow that goal that we don't want to see.

I've often said that Price is one of the best in the league when his team is losing. He's like the reverse of being clutch. That there is the real beef I have on Price.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:34 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Nope.
Pekka Rinne Save Percentages

2008 - 2009 .917
2009 - 2010 .911
2010 - 2011 .930
2011 - 2012 .923
2012 - 2013 thus far .911

Carey Price Save Percentages

2008 - 2009 .905
2009 - 2012 .912
2010 - 2011 .923
2011 - 2012 .916

Carey is 5 years younger. Cut him some slack.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:36 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

2008 - 2009 .917
2009 - 2010 .911
2010 - 2011 .930
2011 - 2012 .923

2008 - 2009 .905
2009 - 2012 .912
2010 - 2011 .923
2011 - 2012 .916

Rinne has also been behind better teams and Norris calibre D.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:39 PM
habtastic

We should be spending way more threads discussing how to not force Carey Price to make 10 highlight reel saves per game. THAT is what wins championships.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:41 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:

2008 - 2009 .917
2009 - 2010 .911
2010 - 2011 .930
2011 - 2012 .923

2008 - 2009 .905
2009 - 2012 .912
2010 - 2011 .923
2011 - 2012 .916

I believe the original comment was that Price's numbers are equal to that of the better goalies in the league. You used Rinne...but no other goalies. Why not Ludnqvist? But then you'd talk about age and defensive systems....well..then...say something like Price's numbers are comparable to goalies his age....I'll agree with you there.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:42 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
In that game Lundvist was not good. My assesment on Price is not based on only one game. And it's not even the fact that he allows a lot of goal that bugs me because he really don't.

What bugs me the most with Price is that a 1 goal lead in the third seems to never be enough. It's that when his team dominate and can't score he always seems to allow that goal that we don't want to see.

I've often said that Price is one of the best in the league when his team is losing. He's like the reverse of being clutch. That there is the real beef I have on Price.
I think part of that stems from the club in front of him. We get a lead and we don't know how to protect it. I'm esp concerned about the last few weeks and how we've let guys like Tavares, Crosby and others just walk right in with no protection at all. We gave up THREE breakaways last night and several two on ones. Our defense hasn't been good and the goaltending has really come up big for us. No way should we have won last night's game and before you start chirping on Budaj, Price was awesome for us and kept us in.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:42 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
We should be spending way more threads discussing how to not force Carey Price to make 10 highlight reel saves per game. THAT is what wins championships.
It's not about highlight reel saves. Price hasn't been good in the playoffs. But I guess that is everyone's fault but his.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:43 PM
andy28

Quote:
It's that when his team dominate and can't score he always seems to allow that goal that we don't want to see.
That happens in hockey. We aren't used to it because outshooting opponents is something new for us .

Most games are not shutouts. So even when you decimate the other team in shot totals, they usually find a way to score.

Old
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:

Yeah, you should look at every team's board when they're leading by 1 goal and lose it. They'll all tell you it always happens.

Simply because people will always remember the games they thought they should've won and didn't. It happens in every damn city.

And from the games I see in the NHL, with and without Montreal, Carey Price is a very reliable starter. He'll have less than good performances once in a while, but that won't change his status.

Now, could he be better? Absolutely. I wish he was too, since we'd probably be sitting in a much better spot, but playing great in just about every start and exceptional in games the team doesn't bother showing up for extended periods of time, that can't be the expectation, that's just flat out unrealistic.

Old
durojean

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Budaj was great last night, but come on, Carey was making some stellar saves until the cluster**** that is called the Habs second period. How do you leave Marchand THAT open in the crease (seriously!?), have a PK with a broken stick cross crease to Bergeron, leave Hamilton AND Chara in the crease on what is essentially a shooting gallery and finished with a perfect shot, a 2 on 1 with Horton putting it perfectly up high even though Carey got over. NONE of those were stoppable. Meanwhile he made it look easy many times and then some very key saves.

Budaj made saves where all he had to do was be positionally sound (which is not easy for his size) and he did that. He was solid, not miraculous. He didn't stop Seguin's goal on which he had no chance (another great defensive lapse by us). The SO, that was just magic and full props to Boods, I'm still reeling from that (the amount of advice he gives Carey on shooters may be part of the reason).

You are blaming Price for 4 goals in 10 minutes (if that is correct) when you should be blaming the defense. Seriously for all those 4 goals, please tell me how they were even remotely stoppable and where the defense was.

Price made 26 saves in the 1st and 2nd (many of them big ones, just look at the highlights portion on the NHL.com recap for the game).

Rask made 11 in that span, before unravelling completely.

Even in that 2nd period, he made 17 saves.

Anyone who was watching that game unbiasedly would be more concerned with how badly the D failed than what the goalie could have done to prevent it. It was such a huge win cuz we actually played very crappy for a long period of time before the comeback. I would rather not play like that and more like we did in Pitt, but the fatigue did get to us. MT must have done something magical between the 2nd and 3rd. I almost think he purposely has us play horribly in the 2nd to make us think he's Al Pacino for all the 3rd period comebacks.
No matter how the shot came you can't say that 4 goal in 10 minute is good. The goal that had to go in went in.

Any goalie can block the easy shots. It's how you play the other shots that make you great good average or bad.

It's true that Boston dominated that 10 minute segment at the end of the second. It's true that the shots were perfect. But 4 goal in 10 minutes is still bad for the team and for the goaltender. You can't say he was good that's just not true.

You could say he was fighting and that it was not his fault. But you can't say he was good because he just wasn't in that 10 minutes span. He was playing like the rest of the team.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
It's not about highlight reel saves. Price hasn't been good in the playoffs. But I guess that is everyone's fault but his.
Price was our best player against the Bruins two years ago.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
He's been pretty good.

His rookie year he won a game 7 with a shutout and was spectacular against Boston.
His 2nd year we were steamrolled, ragdolled shot twice and pissed on by the Bruins. Not even Dryden could've saved us. It was brutal.
His 3rd year he barely played as that was the year of Halak's imitation of Ken Dryden.
His 4th year he was very good and took the Bruins to 7 games.

He hasn't been bad at all man.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 03-28-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old
03-28-2013, 09:48 PM
habtastic

Quote:
What you're saying is very debatable. He isn't the softie machine you're making him out to be. He's been solid in the Boston series (2011 and 2008) which contained much of the same cluster**** defensive lapses. That and since 2011 he's just been improving. His style, his approach, his game overall. We didn't get a chance at the playoffs last year, but do you recall how good Price was, while the team was awful?

Old
03-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
He's been pretty good.

His rookie year he won a game 7 with a shutout.
His 2nd year we were steamrolled, ragdolled shot twice and pissed on by the Bruins.
His 3rd year he barely played as that was the year of Halak's imitation of Ken Dryden.

He took the SC winning team to game 7 in OT

Old
03-28-2013, 09:51 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
He can have his boneheaded plays and let in the occasional softie. I blame more of that on our effective but sometimes out of position D.

It would be ballsy to trade Price though. Not sure where we would go for an upgrade since we are a little thin in the Goalie ranks and trading would be very costly.

Dryden was the best!!!!
I agree, I wouldn't trade him either. We have far greater pressing needs, but you can expect those occasional clunkers from CP, that's all.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:52 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
No matter how the shot came you can't say that 4 goal in 10 minute is good. The goal that had to go in went in.

Any goalie can block the easy shots. It's how you play the other shots that make you great good average or bad.

It's true that Boston dominated that 10 minute segment at the end of the second. It's true that the shots were perfect. But 4 goal in 10 minutes is still bad for the team and for the goaltender. You can't say he was good that's just not true.
WTF are you talking about? Of course we can say he was good... hell he was great. He had some weird bounces that went in and was pretty awesome overall. I can think of maybe one goal where the team and Price were in complete dissarray after a post shot where nobody knew where the puck was... other than that (if that) you can't blame him for those goals man. It should've been 8-2 after the 2nd period. Go back and read the freaking game thread and look at the first period alone.

For **** sakes man...

Old
03-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
I agree, I wouldn't trade him either. We have far greater pressing needs, but you can expect those occasional clunkers from CP, that's all.
And you can expect them from all the goalies in the world.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:53 PM
andy28

Quote:
I believe the original comment was that Price's numbers are equal to that of the better goalies in the league. You used Rinne...but no other goalies. Why not Ludnqvist? But then you'd talk about age and defensive systems....well..then...say something like Price's numbers are comparable to goalies his age....I'll agree with you there.
Lundqvist Save Percentages over the same time period

2008 - 2009 .916
2009 - 2010 .921
2010 - 2011 .923
2011 - 2012 .929
2011 - 2013 thus far .922

Much better than Rinne, but also 5 years older than Price. That means that five years ago he was the same age as Price is now (obviously), and at that point in time his best season was a .922 he got in 2005-2006.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:54 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
He's been pretty good.

His rookie year he won a game 7 with a shutout and was spectacular against Boston.
His 2nd year we were steamrolled, ragdolled shot twice and pissed on by the Bruins.

He was terrible in his 1st playoffs after the 1st half of the Bruins series. Weak goals glove hand. You don't remember that? Series shouldn't have even gone to game 7. Hew also got outduelled by Biron agsinst Philly.

2nd year I don't blame him...but he wasn't good.

3rd year he was terrible and Halak replaced him

4th year he was good in most games. I don't have a problem with him in that series...

Old
03-28-2013, 09:55 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
You could make a strong argument that Patrick Roy was no Ken Dryden. Ken Dryden just might have the best resume in the history of the game.

Yes, he played behind a powerhouse but he single handedly beat Bobby Orr and the Bs his first year in the league. The guy has almost as many career shutouts as losses.
Reliving these memories is causing me to well up. Sniff sniff

Dryden, LaFleur, Ivan, serge, the Big M, Little M, Fergie, guy and Jacques, Big Jean, the Pocket, Backstrom, Lemaire, Gump, and on and on.

Sigh!

Old
03-28-2013, 09:55 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
He took the SC winning team to game 7 in OT
But I thought it was about the team in front of him and the defensive system. You can't have it both ways.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:56 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Great? Sorry, I don't agree. Frankly, I don't even understand how anyone can say he's great...even his biggest supporters.
Umm, he has played about 300 games at the age of 25 with a SV of .916 and a GAA of 2.54... On OUR team no less. I know we have been storming the league with our success, ESPECIALLY in our own end, for the last 10+ years. Are you "ok"? Really. That was a bit harsh, but come on! GO HABS GO!!!

Old
03-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
He was terrible in his 1st playoffs after the 1st half of the Bruins series. Weak goals glove hand. You don't remember that? Series shouldn't have even gone to game 7. Hew also got outduelled by Biron agsinst Philly.

2nd year I don't blame him...but he wasn't good.

3rd year he was terrible and Halak replaced him

4th year he was good in most games. I don't have a problem with him in that series...
Then why say he's been bad in playoffs ? Don't you think being 22 years old had an effect on him being average in goals ?

Closed Thread