HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Worst Trade Ever

Old
08-11-2006, 11:18 PM
steven91

vCash: 500
Worst Trade Ever

We all know that the Habs have made some terrible trades, but which one was the worst.

steven91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 11:27 PM
tinyzombies

The Patrick Roy trade is the worst, only because he went on to win two more Cups. But his play was lagging for a long time before the trade. Kind of reminds me of the Theodore trade, except Theo didn't win the Cup right away. But how do you trade a guy like Patrick Roy so soon? 1993 to 1995 is not a long time. He must have been a very difficult person (or he may have been Right about the people around him...). Serge Savard had this trade all teed up before he was fired, then Reggie Houle came in and finished it off. Two dummies.

The Leclair trade is the second worst because that's the kind of player we've badly needed, and Serge Savard just gave him away for a midget (Recchi). And he threw in Desjardins! HUH?? I still don't understand it, but I don't understand Serge Savard's actions at all....period. He gets a lot of credit for the mid-80s drafts (which he shouldn't), otherwise he was a moron. I think it's because he was supposed to be the next Bobby Orr, but injuries made him Larry Robinson's clean-up guy. I think that's why Robinson's number still isn't retired. I know he cheated Robinson out of some money too when he was GM. I think he's a bad word. Pisses me off.

Trading Chris Chelios was stupid (hello Serge Savard). Trading Claude Lemieux was stupid (hello Serge Savard). Trading Guy Carbonneau was stupid (hello Serge Savard).

Trading Rod Langway and Brian Engblom was stupid (hello Irving Grundman and his dumb buddies). Trading Pierre Larouche was stupid.

These trades seem like personality conflicts to me. No other reason to trade players like that. We could have won a couple more Stanley Cups if we hadn't been mismanaged for so many years.

Historically there's some awful trades too.

Doug Harvey was traded, even though he was the best defenseman in the league. He did have a drinking problem, but he won the Norris for the 8th time with the Rangers in 1963. He was traded because he tried to start a players' union.

Jacques Plante was traded too. Hard to believe, but it's true. Arguably the greatest goalie of his era. Just a stupid idea to trade a guy like that. He had several more excellent years ahead of him.

Maurice Richard was almost traded to the Rangers, but New York turned it down! Imagine The Rocket in New York? Hockey might be as popular as the NFL down there.

I wonder whose influence was involved in these trades. Because they know they are wrong now.

Last edited by tinyzombies: 08-11-2006 at 11:47 PM.
tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 11:59 PM
Habbadasher

Ronald Corey was behind several of the bad trades, Serge Savard was just doing what he was told.

Corson trade? He was spending too much time on Crescent.

Chelios was too outspoken, Corey again.

It is not all Serge Savard's fault.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 12:05 AM
Maitz
Chucky#27

I personnally think that the Theo trade could turn up into one of our worst .

Maitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 12:33 AM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves View Post
The Patrick Roy trade is the worst, only because he went on to win two more Cups. But his play was lagging for a long time before the trade. Kind of reminds me of the Theodore trade, except Theo didn't win the Cup right away. But how do you trade a guy like Patrick Roy so soon? 1993 to 1995 is not a long time. He must have been a very difficult person (or he may have been Right about the people around him...). Serge Savard had this trade all teed up before he was fired, then Reggie Houle came in and finished it off. Two dummies.

The Leclair trade is the second worst because that's the kind of player we've badly needed, and Serge Savard just gave him away for a midget (Recchi). And he threw in Desjardins! HUH?? I still don't understand it, but I don't understand Serge Savard's actions at all....period. He gets a lot of credit for the mid-80s drafts (which he shouldn't), otherwise he was a moron. I think it's because he was supposed to be the next Bobby Orr, but injuries made him Larry Robinson's clean-up guy. I think that's why Robinson's number still isn't retired. I know he cheated Robinson out of some money too when he was GM. I think he's a bad word. Pisses me off.

Trading Chris Chelios was stupid (hello Serge Savard). Trading Claude Lemieux was stupid (hello Serge Savard). Trading Guy Carbonneau was stupid (hello Serge Savard).

Trading Rod Langway and Brian Engblom was stupid (hello Irving Grundman and his dumb buddies). Trading Pierre Larouche was stupid.

These trades seem like personality conflicts to me. No other reason to trade players like that. We could have won a couple more Stanley Cups if we hadn't been mismanaged for so many years.

Doug Harvey was traded, even though he was the best defenseman in the league. He did have a drinking problem, but he won the Norris for the 8th time with the Rangers in 1963. He was traded because he tried to start a players' union.

Jacques Plante was traded too. Hard to believe, but it's true. Arguably the greatest goalie of his era. Just a stupid idea to trade a guy like that. He had several more excellent years ahead of him.

Maurice Richard was almost traded to the Rangers, but New York turned it down! Imagine The Rocket in New York? Hockey might be as popular as the NFL down there.

I wonder whose influence was involved in these trades. Because they know they are wrong now.

That was a great post, I didn't know alot of that!

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 12:53 AM
Toro

I agree with Raketheleaves...

I loved Recchi but losing leclair and desjardins for them was retarded.. everyone knew leclair was just getting started when we won the cup in 93. And desjardins was a rock on defence. If you look at it that winning team was half dissmantled before Patrick was traded. Schneider and desjardins should never have been traded from montreal ever.

But yes there have been many bad decisions made upstairs.

But gainey has turned it all around

can't wait for this season to start. Were going to tear up the east.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 01:14 AM
habs_24x

I guess the Roy trade takes it because who knows how many more cups the Canadiens would have...

The one that pissed me off the most was trading Pierre Turgeon for Shayne Corson. I was in my car when i heard and almost crashed! I never understood that one.

habs_24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 03:15 AM
CourtnallRocks

The one that pissed me off the most was trading Pierre Turgeon for Shayne Corson. I was in my car when i heard and almost crashed! I never understood that one.[/QUOTE]

The worst part about that deal was the fact that we gave up Craig Conroy, who at that point had not yet been given a chance. For nothing...

CourtnallRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 04:21 AM
Namso

the roy trade was the worst bc of all the years of obscurity that followed.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 07:05 AM
Carbo N8

Quote:

Great post.

The thing that really pissed me off about most of the trades is that even though we were giving up the best player or the best combination of players, we always ended up throwing in that extra draft pick or young prospect that everyone knew was going to be a good one. Even when we should have been trading from a position of strength we got fleeced.

Oh well, hopefully & thankfully those days seem to be behind us.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 07:26 AM
plafleur10

Chelios-Savard

Chelios in his prime PLUS a 2nd rounder for a washed up Denis Savard is the worst fleecing we took in my view, the Roy fiasco and the Leclair/Desjardins for Recchi a close second...

Another bad Savard move that hasn't been mentioned was when he traded 3 players (Wickeheiser was part of it, can't remember the other 2) for the supposedly great Perry Turnbull, who must have been on drugs or something as all his ability disappeared as soon as he wore the Habs' uniform...

Turgeon AND Conroy (and who else?) for Corson and that defenseman whose name escapes me (Murray Baron?) who turned out to be a complete bust was pretty bad as well.

plafleur10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 07:30 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:

you go far with the "stupid " here and "dummies " there . Fact is that there are things inside the team that we don't know. There are also factor that could be worst than know ;

Roy was a cancer in the room before his trade ; his head was bigger than the team , and he was at the point where he was coaching everybody in the team . Yes he won two cups with Colorado , but look at the team he was playing for . The bad ppart of the trade is who we got in return , but he had to be traded.

Leclair was seen as a big lazy boy by a lot of fans . Rechi was a hell of a player at that time , and look at his number after his return to Phil. Does Leclair would have been the same player if not trade ? i doubt

Chelios ? when you have an adventure with the wife of Corey , i guess it's a normal that he asked Serge to traded him .

Carboneau ? not Savard . Corey wanted it .

Langway ? May be you forget that we got something good in return . Langway was a very good dman , but you have to give quality to get quality .

You forget the one of Turgeon , witch was the worse one ; dealed a 100 pts player for the Crescent Bum Corson !?!

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 07:49 AM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
you go far with the "stupid " here and "dummies " there . Fact is that there are things inside the team that we don't know. There are also factor that could be worst than know ;

Roy was a cancer in the room before his trade ; his head was bigger than the team , and he was at the point where he was coaching everybody in the team . Yes he won two cups with Colorado , but look at the team he was playing for . The bad ppart of the trade is who we got in return , but he had to be traded.

Yes, it's Roy that gave Corey no way out. So of course your not going to get true value

Leclair was seen as a big lazy boy by a lot of fans . Rechi was a hell of a player at that time , and look at his number after his return to Phil. Does Leclair would have been the same player if not trade ? i doubt

Leclaire had NOT scored more then 19 goals in any year. The Habs had him on the TOP line and the PP and Leclaire was with the habs about 4-5 years. Leclaire never looked like a STAR with the Habs.
then he goes to Philly and scores 50 goals 4-5 years running ( with Lindros) go figure!!

Chelios ? when you have an adventure with the wife of Corey , i guess it's a normal that he asked Serge to traded him .
If Chelios had kept his pecker in his pants and not leed the kids to cresent st. he would still be a hab.

Carboneau ? not Savard . Corey wanted it .

Langway ? May be you forget that we got something good in return . Langway was a very good dman , but you have to give quality to get quality .

Remember this, Langway walked into the office and asked for a trade, he wanted to go back home to the USA, and yes it WAS an untimatum to the Habs.

You forget the one of Turgeon , witch was the worse one ; dealed a 100 pts player for the Crescent Bum Corson !?!

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Some other bad trades not yet mentioned:

Lyle Odelien for Stephane Richer
Thornton for Lind
Bure for Hoglund and Zalapski
Ludwig for Dirk?
Weinrich for Traverse
Rucinski for Audette
Asham plus a pick for Czerkawski

1st for Linden
Damphouse for pick that became Marcel Hossa
Recchi for Zubrus
We traded Damphouse and Recchi because they were impending UFA, and we were afraid we couldn't afford them, but then magically had the money to pay Linden. Damphouse stated he would have accepted an offer from the Habs similar to what Linden eventually got paid

Skrudland for Leeman
Svoboda for Haller
Darcy Tucker to TB

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 08:16 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x View Post
I guess the Roy trade takes it because who knows how many more cups the Canadiens would have...

The one that pissed me off the most was trading Pierre Turgeon for Shayne Corson. I was in my car when i heard and almost crashed! I never understood that one.
I never understood that one also. Trading a point per game guy for Corson and a dman that did not even want to be here. Ouch. The Roy trade was also horrible. I would have fired the coach first but then again I was never for Houle and Tremblay running the team.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitz View Post
Only time will tell, but IMO Teddy will never be looked at as a top goalie over time. He just gives up too many soft goals..

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 09:45 AM
TomPlex

Was it Weinrich for Traverse?

TomPlex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Pascal

The Roy one is the worse to me because of the reason why. Rejean Houle and Tremblay were the worse things to happen to the club in the past 20 years. They set back the team 5-6 years in terms of aiming to win a cup.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 09:55 AM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maitz View Post
YEAH! He's going to win a cup with the avs I bet?

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 09:59 AM
obcd1

This thread is depressing

obcd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 10:15 AM
hab

I have to go with the chelios trade

he was a top d man for like 15 years after that trade and savard was a bust...

at least in the roy trade we got rucinsky( very good second liner for us for years)

and thibealt ( a decent goalie back then)

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 10:20 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
I agree with you on that one. Roy's trade is the worse by far. But my problem with it isn't the fact that he won 2 more cups. I find it unbelievable that Houle traded arguably one of the best goalie in the world without receiving at least one of the top 5 players of the other team in return, and a first round draft pick. Man, Rucinsky wasn't playing regularly, Kovalenko was a marginal asset and Thibault was too young and unproven to replace a hall of fame. Plus Houle added a very serviceable Keane in the trade. An absolute Milbury-like unbelievable trade.

The Leclair trade is the second worst because that's the kind of player we've badly needed, and Serge Savard just gave him away for a midget (Recchi). And he threw in Desjardins! HUH?? I still don't understand it, but I don't understand Serge Savard's actions at all....period. He gets a lot of credit for the mid-80s drafts (which he shouldn't), otherwise he was a moron. I think it's because he was supposed to be the next Bobby Orr, but injuries made him Larry Robinson's clean-up guy. I think that's why Robinson's number still isn't retired. I know he cheated Robinson out of some money too when he was GM. I think he's a bad word. Pisses me off. The result is ugly here, I agree, but we have to put things in perpective. Leclair hadn't "explode" after 4 years and when he arrived, Recchi was arguably the best habs' player on the ice every night. You can't blame Savard when he received at least the best player in the trade at that time. Of course, like I said, it turns out differently, but IMHO, it was simply a bad trade like it happens once in awhile. The problem with LeClair is that he was often playing center when in Montreal because the coaches really wish he could develop at that position. The coaches constantly moved him from LW to C, which I think was bad for his developpement. So to me, the coaches are to blame here at least as much as Savard.

Trading Chris Chelios was stupid (hello Serge Savard).
I agree, I think I remember Savard letting people know he was against the trade. I personnaly think that it's his worse trade. But now, we all know that Corey was behind this. I maybe old fashion, but I understand the need to trade players with questionnable behavior, especially in a city where the team is so beloved. Look what happen now in pro football with all the criminality in the players' community. I'm sorry with all the "nice guys finish last" beleivers, but I do beleive that someone with bad behavior can't be a youth hero. It's a dangerous thing, saying to kids that they may do pretty fine, even be a hero, no matter their social behavior. If half of what Chelios supposedly did here beside hockey is true, then I agree I don't want my kids to cheer for him every night. So I give savard and Corey the benefice of the doubt here. But man, I loved Chelios the player...

Trading Claude Lemieux was stupid (hello Serge Savard).
A really bad one here.

Trading Guy Carbonneau was stupid (hello Serge Savard).
Bad...

Trading Rod Langway and Brian Engblom was stupid (hello Irving Grundman and his dumb buddies).
Look at what Ryan Walter was doing before the trade and you'll realize that he was an amazing PF entering his prime, one of the most coveted player in the league (around 40 goals + 180 pm). Plus, I remember Langway asking for a trade, Plus Rick Green turned out to be a better d-man than Engblom the rest of the way. So on paper, at that time, it wasn't all that bad. But Walter discovered religion at that time (no judgment here) and he stopped playing his dirty type of hockey. It was his choice, I respect that, but that made him a fourth liner instead of a first line PF entering his prime like he was at that time. Imagine a pest dropping his gloves from time to time while scoring 40 goals... That was what Walter was all about... So to me, this trade is more bad luck than anything else.

Trading Pierre Larouche was stupid.
Not at all. Grundman explained later that he was trying to trade Larouche to a team that could finished last in the league 3 or 4 years later in order to have the first overall pick. He knew a guy named Mario Lemieux playing bantam at the time that was going to be eligible the year he received Hartford's first pick for Larouche. Grundman wasn't that far. Hartford finished pretty close to last and Habs had the 5th selection. They selected Petr Svoboda who turned out to be a very serviceable puck moving d-man for many years. But Larouche's trade was made with a serious effort to grab Mario Lemieux. I thank Grundman for that.

Last edited by LePoche69: 08-12-2006 at 10:33 AM.
LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 10:22 AM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Roy trade

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

The Roy trade, hands down.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 10:52 AM
David_99

In the modern era
#1 Roy, Keane for Thibault, Rusinski, Kovalenko ended giving us Sundstrom
#2 LeClair, Dejardins, Dionne for Recchi ended up helping us get Zeddy and Bulis
#3 Chelios ended up giving us Savard for a short time.

Those three players we ended up with are the ones that left this off season. They served us well for the bad times we had and I appreciate their efforts, but we would have faired better with the original players. Of course some of them were forced to be traded. Would have been nice to get at least one superstar back. Sakic or something.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote