HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 34: Preds vs Coyotes 7:00 PM CST "We're Going Streaking" Edition

Old
03-28-2013, 10:10 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
No but he can't even play halfway decent when he does go in.
Rinne is under .900 sv% in six of his last eight games. Blaming Mason is only slightly better than blaming one of the bartenders on the club level. Tonight Rinne gave up 3 goals on the first 4 shots. A couple games ago it was 2 on 2. Our $7mil goalie is either on fire or playing like elephant dung.

101st_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:14 PM
AEM6729

What the eff.

Can anyone tell me how many times this year Rinne has let an early goal in and then gone on to give up 3+? Seems like he just can't recover when he gives up an early goal this year.

I've never seen such epically bad play in my life, especially from the goalies, as I did tonight.

Saw on Twitter that we've now lost 3-4 games in which we've scored 4 goals. WTF?! That can't happen! That's the difference between where we are now and 5th place. So as much as we all want to hate on our offense for our bad record this year, if our defense would do its job we would be a playoff team right now.

Also, I know Shea scored a goal and everything, but...I'm sad that we didn't see Angry Shea tonight. I was hoping he would get so pissed off at the situation and unleash the beast and totally crush someone. There was one time in the 3rd where he got upended, totally faceplanted, and I thought "Ohhh snap here comes Angry Shea"....thennn he just skated off for a change. Lame. Show some emotion, captain!

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:16 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Haha holy **** I am glad I didn't watch this live. Tuned in on GCL, saw the first three PHX goals in four minutes, and was like "...think I'll fast forward a bit on this one." Well that sucked.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:19 PM
deanwormer

You know, it's not often both your goalies just completely suck, but both of them gave up some terribly soft goals. How is a team so totally mentally not into the game?

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:23 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Rinne is under .900 sv% in six of his last eight games. Blaming Mason is only slightly better than blaming one of the bartenders on the club level. Tonight Rinne gave up 3 goals on the first 4 shots. A couple games ago it was 2 on 2. Our $7mil goalie is either on fire or playing like elephant dung.
I agree with you that Rinne is having an offseason for sure.

But I do think a factor in that is that he has been overworked, and I think you can put some of the blame there on Mason- he has been so bad when he does get in its obvious the coaches do not trust him to play.

In a compressed schedule, that's not a good formula for success

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:39 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Can anyone tell me how many times this year Rinne has let an early goal in and then gone on to give up 3+? Seems like he just can't recover when he gives up an early goal this year.
He did the same thing in the Calder Cup Finals back in 2006.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:40 PM
Nashville Transplant

OK, just got back from the game, and honestly, if I WAS Rich Clune, I would say "We got off to a bad start and just couldn't catch up. We were not prepared at the outset."

BUT I'M NOT... and here's what I have to say:

Worst game I have EVER seen the Preds play... Worst PERIOD I have EVER seen a HOME TEAM play (and I've seen games in minimum 25 NHL arenas, and been a season ticket holder somewhere since 1975-76)

Holy crap, where to begin. Shea Weber/Roman Josi... HYSTERICALLY BAD in the defensive zone. Comedic, like a BAD Saturday Night Live skit. Fisher/Erat/Kostitsyn line? Yikes. They looked like they'd never passed a puck to a teammate in their LIVES.

The Barry Trotz "reward" system? I don't get it. You have SO FEW guys that hit... take the body... move people out of dangerous areas... clog up shooting lanes... there's no sacrifice... *(well, I guess Fisher sacrifices on occasion, but he was so brutal this game he was probably on a deathwish by the end of the 3rd period.) So, explain to me (and yes, I know this is bandwagon fanguy speaking...) why in the hell does Clune not get a SECOND of special teams time. I mean, your power ball power play has me screaming "DECLINE!" every time, and there are so few moments when a Preds player is camped in front of the net... How does Clune manage to have four goals in the NHL? HE PAYS THE PRICE and DIGS IN. I know he's not a skill guy, but if the PP unit bounced some pucks off his a55 he'd probably have eight or nine goals right now. Seriously... there have been guys with less (I'll refrain from saying FAR less) talent that have understood their role and been rewarded with a little extra ice in situations like that. Hell, the "top 6 certainly doesn't do much when playing with the man-advantage.

Despite being a +1, Taylor Beck had a pretty bad game, and though I don't use one game sample sizes to make judgements about a player's talents, he was WAY over his head in this one and just looked awful from the moment early in the first when he couldn't stay on his skates as a Coyote did his rendition of the classic country song Blue Bayou... he blew right by you, Beckie...

I don't think I could stand to watch this one a second time, but those first 8 or 9 minutes could be used as a clinic to show teams how NOT to show up in the defensive zone.

Phoenix played as if they had everything to gain and nothing to lose. The Preds played as if they'd secured tee time for Sunday, April 28th.

See you on the links, boys... you can't expect to punch a ticket to the post season when you trail 5-0 at home after most fans are just settling into their first funnel cake.

I'm not a HUGE believer in the off ice official stat keeping (hits, giveaways, takeaways, etc...) as I think it's so subjective and some arena's officials view games MUCH differently than others despite the league claiming it does its best to standardize that sort of thing (hence the reason Clutterbuck ALWAYS has way more hits than he actually has... LOL)

TAKEAWAYS: Nash - 3 Phx - 9

GIVEAWAYS: Nash - 13 Phx - 8

UGLY... Coyote Ugly!

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:46 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
I agree with you that Rinne is having an offseason for sure.

But I do think a factor in that is that he has been overworked, and I think you can put some of the blame there on Mason- he has been so bad when he does get in its obvious the coaches do not trust him to play.

In a compressed schedule, that's not a good formula for success
Mason is 1-1-1 in his three starts with 1 goal allowed in in regulation for two of those starts. The majority of his appearances are in relief of Rinne ... 5 of 8 games played.

101st_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:51 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Mason is 1-1-1 in his three starts with 1 goal allowed in in regulation for two of those starts. The majority of his appearances are in relief of Rinne ... 5 of 8 games played.
I hear ya- really, it's just a mess all the way around.

At this point, I think Mason has to get a start soon

Old
03-28-2013, 11:52 PM
AEM6729

Interesting little tidbit about an exchange during warmups between Clune and Doan that got Doan all fired up apparently:

http://www.examiner.com/article/feis...ivated-coyotes

Of course, while this exchange may have motivated the Yotes, it shouldn't have caused our goalies to instantly suck.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 06:25 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I think if you read my post you'll see I did blame Rinne. Rinne was horrible and then, Mason came in, in relief, and provided no relief, Rinne had to come back in.

Mason has had 2 decent starts one decent relief. Other than that, he's been horrible.

Doesn't give Rinne a pass though, those first 2 especially were bush league.

I don't know what his deal is, he needs to get it worked out though.

Smith will be back, and I'd love to see Watson replace Mueller.

Last edited by triggrman: 03-29-2013 at 08:24 AM.
triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:14 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Ew. That's all I got. Flashbacks of this terrible team I used to follow....

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:49 AM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Ew. That's all I got. Flashbacks of this terrible team I used to follow....
Oh yes- it felt exactly like one of many Thrashers games we had to suffer through..........

Old
03-29-2013, 08:04 AM
preds1

vCash: 50
Yep, that was pretty brutal.

preds1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:54 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I was there. Yes it sucked. Somehow I still had a good time because in the 3rd I really felt we could've tied it up. So many close calls. Plus man were the Yotes lucky on some of those goals. Wow. Anyways, on to next game.

Plus, my cousin points this out every game: why in the hell is this team afraid of laying hits on people? We are soft.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Nitrous Mafia

bought standing room only tickets last night

terrible game but entertaining

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 12:22 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Plus, my cousin points this out every game: why in the hell is this team afraid of laying hits on people? We are soft.
Going three steps out of your way to lay a hit on a guy has little to no effect on whether or not a team is successful. Plus, if a guy misses a check in transition, it could create an odd-man rush. I would rather be thought of as soft than regularly give up high-quality scoring opportunities trying to be physical.

I would rather we worry about controlling the puck than hitting people.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 03:37 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
When this team has a bad game, they really have a bad game.

I've been nervous for some goalies, but I don't think I have ever been scared every single time the other team entered our zone that they would score, for the entire game.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 08:02 AM
Marty Party
@ The Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Interesting little tidbit about an exchange during warmups between Clune and Doan that got Doan all fired up apparently:

http://www.examiner.com/article/feis...ivated-coyotes

Of course, while this exchange may have motivated the Yotes, it shouldn't have caused our goalies to instantly suck.
Didn't even notice this while it was happening...

Marty Party is offline   Reply With Quote