HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015 Draft)

Old
01-26-2013, 10:47 PM
Dempsey

vCash: 50
I watch the NE Chiefs game today in Coquitlam at Planet Ice. I see a lot of talk on his status etc in this thread and very little in terms of on-ice scouting report, so I'll share what I noticed (although I am far from a pro scout).

He was easily the best player on the ice, which I would assume to be the norm considering his point totals. He is clearly a playmaker. Likes to take the puck over the blueline, then slow the play down and find the open man. Set up several of his teammates with some elite playmaking skills, and finished with a goal and a couple assists. Makes smart plays that other players just can't/aren't expecting at this level.

Plays a fairly gritty game, too, gets a lot of attention from the opposition team and gives and takes a lot of hacks. Went hard to the net several times and took some hits to make some plays.

On the negatives, he did very little backchecking, though to be fair it's not exactly a defensive league and these are young kids (with him being among the youngest). Usually the last player back and the first player hovering around center ice for the pass, but once in the offensive zone is far from a puck hog. His skating is said to be exceptional but he didn't blow by anyone in this particular game.

He took some faceoffs but often lined up at left wing before moving to the middle.

Obviously his coach gives him a TON of ice time. I'd say he was easily out there more than half the game. I doubt there were too many times when there was more than two shifts in a row where he wasn't on the ice, and he started the game with a 1:45 shift from the opening faceoff and then was back out there after a short rest.

It was pretty cool to walk into a ordinary local rink that I've played pickup in up the street and watch a free game with a potential future star play in front of 50 people. Ryan Johansen's brother and David Musil's brother also played in this game.

Definitely worthy of the hype and an elite playmaking talent.

Last edited by Dempsey: 01-26-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2013, 12:29 AM
HabLover

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
10 more points in 2 games this past weekend in BC Major Midget League... 80 points(22 goals 58 assists) in 25 games so far this season.... un #*$@ ing believable... He has always been compared to Nugent-Hopkins. Just to compare and just for fun, at the same age in the same league, RNH played in 36 games and finished with 40 goals and 47 assists for 87 points. Barzal is on pace to shatter that point total. Barzal is Seattle T-Bird property and Seattle is currently on a 14 game losing streak. How desperately does Seattle need this guy!!???hahah... he will be the golden boy of Seattle until he plays NHL!!!
26 goals and 91 pts in 28 games to date. On pace to shatter the point record(100) for 15 yr olds in the BCMML. Also, should easily surpass the all-time season record for points in a season(108), set by 16 yr old Alex Kerfoot.

As mentioned, he has already passed RNH's totals from 08/09, when he also led the league in points by a wide margin.

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:54 AM
HabLover

Barzal finished the BCMML season with 103pts in 34 games(29g 74a). Sets the league record for points in a season by a 15 yr old.

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:38 AM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

has he said anything about whether he'll go to seattle?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
has he said anything about whether he'll go to seattle?
Still no news on that. However, he was just in Seattle recently practicing with the the Thunderbirds. Good news for T-Bird fans

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 02:35 AM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

assuming he plays in the WHL next year...i'm really interested to see what his offensive production is.

i know that a ton of people behave like McDavid is the second coming...but I think people are underrating Barzal.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Is his midget season over? The T-Birds could really use him in the playoffs.

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:12 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Is his midget season over? The T-Birds could really use him in the playoffs.
Yes, his team was eliminated this past weekend.
His season is essentially over if he doesn't sign with Seattle, as Coquitlam, the team he's an AP with in the BHCL, was eliminated from playoff contention.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Skinnyjimmy08

All Seattle fans need to PRAY that he signs in Seattle now. Seattle has struggled for years and this player is a franchise changer. Seattle has a couple other real high prospects that havent signed either(Ryan Gropp & Dylan Gambrell) and I strongly feel if T-Birds can get Barzal signed, those other players will sign pretty much the next day(Gropp forsure, but not quite as sure about Gambrell). They would be fools to give up the chance to play with Barzal. Barzall and Gropp are both eligable for 2015 NHL draft and I strongly feel they would have strong rookie seasons and then possibly tear up the league in 2014/2015. Barzal, Gropp and Shea Theodore on the same power play... good lord, I would feel sorry for the other team

Old
03-17-2013, 02:11 PM
dudeoverhere

yah would be great if Barzal signed with Seattle T-Birds, I know Ethan Bear (Seattle 25th pick) just got his first taste of the WHL against Portland (March 16th), and Keegan Kolesar (Seattle 20th pick) has played a game or two earlier in the season, and Seattle gets the 8th, 22nd (from Portland) and 27th picks in the next draft year. Barzal would put Seattle over the top and would be contenders in the years to come...

dudeoverhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

Great things to come if Seattle can get Barzal and hopefully Gropp to come. Barzal, Gropp, Kolesar and Bear is a very solid young core!

Old
03-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Skinnyjimmy08

I guess Barzal has practiced with Seattle now on a few occasions and on an interview with GM Russ Farwell, both sides(T-Birds and Barzal) have agreed on a decision to come before this offseason starts so T-Birds can figure out plans for next season. I really hope Barzal signs with Seattle. Not only Seattle desperately needs Barzal to join, but also he is great for the WHL. It would sure be a shame not to see this kid in the WHL next year... Also to note, alot of rumors that if Barzal were to go the NCAA route, he was going to play Junior A with Coquitlam Express(Barzal has played a few games with them already). But recently, the coach and GM of the Coquitlam Express Jon Calvano, who has coached Barzal alot in his minor hockey days and has been recruiting Barzal like crazy over a couple years, to play Junior A has been FIRED. So that is a great sign in favor of T-Birds hopefully.

Last edited by Skinnyjimmy08: 03-25-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old
03-26-2013, 09:25 PM
jfb392

It's disappeared from Twitter, but Barzal is in attendance for the Thunderbirds playoff game tonight vs. Kelowna.
He's also been practicing with the team.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:05 PM
Rocko604
Let's Go Bruins

If he's in attendance on Seattle's dime, doesn't that automatically make him inelligible for the NCAA?

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:08 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
If he's in attendance on Seattle's dime, doesn't that automatically make him inelligible for the NCAA?
Yes, but I'd guess he isn't since he's from Vancouver and probably on spring break.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

Seattle invited him down to practice with the team and watch the game.. it doesnt ruin his NCAA eligability(although i wish it would so he would sign with T-Birds!!!hahah)

Old
03-26-2013, 10:25 PM
Rocko604
Let's Go Bruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Yes, but I'd guess he isn't since he's from Vancouver and probably on spring break.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
Seattle invited him down to practice with the team and watch the game.. it doesnt ruin his NCAA eligability(although i wish it would so he would sign with T-Birds!!!hahah)
That's too bad.

I hope he signs, even though I'm a Giants fan. Will be fun watching him and Benson go at it.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
That's too bad.

I hope he signs, even though I'm a Giants fan. Will be fun watching him and Benson go at it.
Exactly... this would be a huge letdown for WHL if he doesnt play. He's been kinda hyped up the past couple years as the WHL's version of Connor McDavid that plays in the OHL.... They were opposing Captains and both wore their long worn number 97 while playing at that Mentorship Cup that was played on TSN and they both put on a great show. I strongly feel if Barzal plays WHL, it will be a Barzal/McDavid battle for #1 in 2015 NHL draft(for all you guys in Eastern Canada that hasnt seen him, he is UNBELIEVABLE)

Old
03-26-2013, 10:53 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Isn't there a rule that 15 year olds can only play a limit amount of games in the Dub? Does that rule transfer for playoffs as well?!

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 11:01 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Isn't there a rule that 15 year olds can only play a limit amount of games in the Dub? Does that rule transfer for playoffs as well?!
They are limited to five games as an affiliate (barring injury circumstances), I believe.

It doesn't apply in the playoffs, but he has yet to sign.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:01 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

well the rule is either 5 or 6 games they can be called up for (cant remember if its 5 or 6)... However, once the player's minor hockey(or major midget or wherever they played) season is over, that player can play as many games as the team wants. Like for instance when Brayden Point was 15, he played in his 5 games with the Moose Jaw Warriors during the regular season but then when his season was done in Alberta he was called back up to Moose Jaw again for the playoffs and played 14 more games.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Rocko604
Let's Go Bruins

Out of curiosity, since Barzal is a Lower Mainland kid...

Value of: Barzal to Vancouver

The 1st overall pick is a given, so it would give the T-Birds Benson in all likelihood. But what would Seattle want on top of it?

Old
03-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

Seattle would demand alot in return. Barzal is worth alot and T-Birds would make a team pay.... but Seattle won't trade him though!! Barzal is apparently making up his mind and letting Seattle know his plans before the WHL draft at the start of May. Here's an interview he just did.....

http://mynorthwest.com/745/2237903/A...-Mathew-Barzal

Old
03-28-2013, 10:53 PM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Does the WHL have any "compensation" system in place if you draft someone who doesn't report to camp?

In the OHL, if you draft a player and they don't report you get a compensatory draft pick - even if you trade the players rights. This is what happened with Domi - Kingston drafted him, he said he wouldn't report they worked out a trade with London, waited until he technically didn't report to camp, completed the trade, got the return, and got the pick.

Is there anything similar in the WHL?

Old
03-28-2013, 11:00 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Does the WHL have any "compensation" system in place if you draft someone who doesn't report to camp?
No, I don't believe there is.