HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Silfverberg so far?

Old
03-26-2013, 12:49 AM
Asquaredx2

vCash: 500
Maybe it's just the stick change, but he reminds me a bit of Daniel Sedin.

EDIT: And yeah I realize it's yet another comparison to a Swedish player.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 12:57 AM
Kezia
Benny

vCash: 50
I just hope he becomes one of those players people wanna compare prospects to.

Kezia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 01:07 AM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Yeah, his skating has really improved.

Looks like he's starting to adapt to the NHL more. He's getting better at deflecting and creating more space for himself to get his shot off. He's a great back checker and certainly has the compete level you look for.

He's on pace for roughly 20 goals and 32 points in a full 82 game season. I think most of us would have been happy if he put up 15 goals and 30 points in his rookie year.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:24 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
well, no.

Better at everything + a much much better shot would make Silf a 90 point scorer
Eriksson's record at 22: 69GP 14 G 17 A 31 P. His break through came at 23 but that was also his 4th full season on small ice in NA and his 3rd season in the NHL (59 GP 06/07 in and 69 GP in 07/08).

Who knows if Silfverberg will break out as Eriksson did in a couple of years but at the same age they look quite similar, Silfverberg's goal scoring pace is higher but his PPG is lower due to his "lack of" assists. I can also see similarities in terms of being quite dependable two-way players at a relatively young age.

That said, Eriksson was born and raised about 8 kms from where I was born and raised, and his youth team was Lerums BK, the same club I dressed up for once waaaaaay back (they dumped me quite fast though...) so by default I'll give him the edge in any comparison .

So I ended up on these boards again, I guess I enjoy your positive environment in terms of how your team and your prospects are doing. It's a bit different on the Oilers boards where I should be spending my time...

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
Do you mean on average? Because Alfie had 103 points one season on the pizza line in 05/06 and was on pace for over 100 in 07/08 if he had played all 82 games.
I mean that Alfredsson never put up more than 80 points in a season except when he was playing on a line with Heatley and Spezza. Most people would probably agree that Alfredsson was a better player than Eriksson.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:23 AM
koreaboy

i can't see the hoss comparisons at all. no way. hoss had size, elite speed, and a hair trigger release. another defining trait of hoss was his freakish ability to backcheck and put backpressure on attackers. those things arent really in silf's wheelhouse.

i think silf has a HEAVIER shot, and is probably the better stickhandler in traffic, he's a smart player and seems to be very solid defensively, but i don't think he's got the size or speed of hoss. i don't think he's going to be the deadly transition player that hoss is.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:34 AM
swiftwin
#lalala

Yea, i dont see thr Silfverberg/Hossa comparisons either. If anything, I do think that Zibanejad is a Hossa comparable.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:47 AM
koreaboy

i'd agree, but i'd hesitate to say that either. i don't think zbad will have quite the elite speed or skill that hoss had/has. i think he might be a little more physical and grittier though.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
i'd agree, but i'd hesitate to say that either. i don't think zbad will have quite the elite speed or skill that hoss had/has. i think he might be a little more physical and grittier though.
I think zbad's puck control isn't as good as Hossa's, but zbad's very fast. It's been so long since I've seen Hossa live, I couldn't compare their speed. I see lots of ongoing improvement in all aspects of zbad's game, though. He's beginning to handle the puck a bit better through defenders.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Anaxagoras
Futbol Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwin View Post
Yea, i dont see thr Silfverberg/Hossa comparisons either. If anything, I do think that Zibanejad is a Hossa comparable.
Agreed. A couple times already this season, Zib has carried the puck up to centre, where two defenders will be waiting for him, and just powered between them to earn a partial break. That's very impressive strength for a 19-year-old, and quite reminiscent of Hossa.

As another poster pointed out, though, I doubt he'll reach the skill level of Hossa but he is still quite young. A 60 point, physical forward would not be a bad return on a 6th overall pick (essentially a second Michalek, but there's something about Zibanejad that makes him appear more explosive than 9MM).

Silf's rookie campaign has been impressive to say the least. Surrounded by a middling offense and with no Spezza/Karlsson to draw the opponent's most stalwart defenders, he's still managed to put up respectable numbers. He may even deserve a few more points, either due to bad luck or rookie errors he's lost a couple chances that I'm sure he'll learn to bury over the next few years.

Anaxagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 06:22 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
What? Zibanejad is blazing fast. He can go from end-to-end faster than 90% of the players out there.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:31 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

This guy is phenomenal. A threat to score every single time he is on the ice. Yet also makes amazing defensive breakups.

What is even more amazing is his IQ. With simple plays along the board or center ice he can make defenders look like fools.

What was considered his most glaring weakness(Footspeed and acceleration) looks like one of his strengths lately. Blowing by defenders easily.

He controls the game so well it's scary. Am I the only one seeing this? I'm not even acting optimistic here.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:38 PM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
This guy is phenomenal. A threat to score every single time he is on the ice. Yet also makes amazing defensive breakups.

What is even more amazing is his IQ. With simple plays along the board or center ice he can make defenders look like fools.

What was considered his most glaring weakness(Footspeed and acceleration) looks like one of his strengths lately. Blowing by defenders easily.

He controls the game so well it's scary. Am I the only one seeing this? I'm not even acting optimistic here.
Him and Zib are a treat to watch together. Ultimate two-way line.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:45 PM
KarlSen

It's just one play, but the Sens were being penned in their own end pretty badly, and Silf took the puck and stickhandled it out of danger on created a play in the Rangers end. Very, very, Alfieish - like, enough, this will end now.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:51 PM
ATdaisuki
invisible

our young players, hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng.

i think we re-sign latendresse just to keep this latendresse - zibby - silf line together. it's producing like a scoring line and is currently our second line. when spezza and michalek are back, it will be our third line. this line a third line? awesome.

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:34 AM
PETRYDISH

vCash: 50
Anyone think it could be possible to see Silfverberg put up 50-60 points next year?? Is he the type of player with a ceiling that high? I have him in my keeper league and he;s going to be defined as a rookie until he hits 150 games, so i get to keep him for frre for a couple of years, hopefully he can break out.

PETRYDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:46 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
Anyone think it could be possible to see Silfverberg put up 50-60 points next year?? Is he the type of player with a ceiling that high? I have him in my keeper league and he;s going to be defined as a rookie until he hits 150 games, so i get to keep him for frre for a couple of years, hopefully he can break out.
Silfverberg has been on pace to score 60 in his last 15ish games and around 40 this year. All this without Spezza and mostly without Karlsson.

That's not even his ceiling, his ceiling is much higher and I definitely think Silfverberg can hit at least 50 next year.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:48 AM
Laista

Send a message via MSN to Laista Send a message via Skype™ to Laista
PK is flawless, not a single goal against so far.
That is impressive!

Laista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:20 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Silfverberg is our best defensive forward. He doesn't have the same physicality of a guy like Zibanejad, but he's just so intelligent. He always seems to know where to be; he knows how to read the play so, so well.

Can't wait to get a Silfverberg jersey...when I'm not poor. It wouldn't surprise me if this guy put up 60+ points next year at all. Especially if his shooting % normalizes.

If you remove his first 8 - 10 games of the season he's also noticeably changed his approach on the ice. Much more confident, reading plays better, adapting to the defences...A 30 - 40 point pace is not a bad one for a rookie.

Last edited by Curtinho: 03-29-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:53 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post

he's starting to dominate. its awesome to watch.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:03 PM
OD99

He hasn't improved his skating at all but he is now able to show his speed because he isn't thinking so much out on the ice. He was always quick and a few times in footraces with some other D you can see he has plenty of speed.

It isn't as though there has been time for him to practice his skating this season either...it is all about him being more comfortable and thinking the game faster.

Anyone else remember watching Karlsson as a junior at the WJHC here in Ottawa? The kid was a flat out burner every time he had the puck but when he got to the NHL it seemed like he had forgotten how to skate...because the speed of the game had him thinking too much.

After his stint in the A and a few more games under his belt all of a sudden he was doing everything quicker...what we saw from Karlsson after that was a player who could use all of his skills while not worrying about the pace of the game itself and I really believe we are starting to see Silf finding that groove too.

The last two weeks allow me to believe just a little that he has some Alfie in him.

To suggest he will be anything like Alfie is a stretch though - it is possible but let's not forget that Alfie is on his way to being a top 50 scorer in the NHL for ALL TIME. Optimism is great but I can see the negativity flying if he doesn't dominate by next season.

OD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 02:49 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
Silfverberg may be a consistent 60 point player. Probably peak higher.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Nizzy

Silfverberg reminds of Zetterberg and he is just getting better and better ..Next year I except real break out

Nizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 04:09 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizzy View Post
Silfverberg reminds of Zetterberg and he is just getting better and better ..Next year I except real break out
Silfverberg reminds me of Alfredsson.

aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 04:21 PM
BeauRoger

What i really like about both him and Z is their quick adjustment. They are not exactly playing sheltered minutes like most rookies nor are they warmly tucked into a line with 2 other veterans. They have no super first line above them that takes the heat of them either, they are exposed in a way that most rookies are not, and they have proven to be more than a match for this task. One is 19, the other 22. Two rookies carrying a line in their their first real season of NHL hockey. A shortened season as well; they have only been playing for about 2 months. Im very pleased with this.

BeauRoger is offline   Reply With Quote