HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 11:30 PM
BobbyFischer*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
At this point reading all the negativity about Price when he was hung out to dry by his defence. I say trade him so he doesn't have to put up with the ******** from the fans that don't understand the game at all.

Trade him to NJ and end this ****.
What negativity? Because we're not blowing smoke up his arse?

Let him prove himself in the playoffs.

nuff said.

There is no need to be upset.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:36 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
Price was flip flopping in his gosl in that 10 minutes. All the saves seemed hard to make that game.

Yes he made some great save but there's the thing. If his positioning was off... Some shot that goes in seems unblockable are in fact really stoppable.

It was a ****** 10 minutes. The goalie was as bad as the rest of the team in that span. 4 goal in 16 shot is still bad for a goalie. At some point you have to blame.

The way I evaluate yesterday's game for Price is like that. Good first , average 2nd, bad 10 minute.

Yesterday he was not bad but he was not amazing either. He was like he always is and that's average ( for a #1 goalie) not bad and not good... Average.

Since ultimately everything you described falls in the subjective, I'm not going to try changing your mind about that, but you do, IMO (which is, by definition, mine) sound absurd. Flopping around? Ohhh kay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Get real. In what world does "not good" = bad? It's not either/or or black/white. He has had a meh playoff campaign. He was pretty good against the Bruins 2 years ago. He was also good against them in his 1st year for the first 4 games...then let in 5 goals each game....then was poor against Philly. Then the next year he was poor again. The team was poor, but so was he. Then the year Halak took over, Price wasn't good in the limited time he played in those playoffs. He played well the next year. Inconsistent play...that has been called "good" and "great" on here...yet I'm not being objective?
As I said, it's semantics and you are trying to find a comfy defensible spot in the area that is outside "Price has played well in the playoffs", that can include all sorts of interpretations. Point is, as I mentioned that you aren't satisfied with his performances and are arguing that we shouldn't be. "Meh" isn't what we expect of Price and since you think he's that, gonna have to disagree with you in terms of the years he was the starter excluding 2009, which you will have to admit is just a cross of the list year when there was the whole interaction with the fans thing and Gainey having to defend him. How did he respond to that? Years of working on his game and getting to the level where nobody is happy to face Price. I've not heard anything but praise from the top minds in hockey about him and they're right. Granted, he needs to take the next step and that will happen when we have the right scenario (which MB is creating), but based on his previous play and trajectory, I would hardly call him "meh" and am certain (all we can do is project) he will be a big game playoff goalie for us for years to come.

FTR, if YOU call something inconsistent and I call it great, that doesn't make ME less objective.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:36 PM
zzoo

No, no ,no, this is not a bashing comment against Price.

I'm very surprised to see Price at #25 in saving %, with 0.911.

I'm happy to see that Habs don't rely on Price to win the game.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:57 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Since coming into the league he's tied with Miller but has been better in recent years.

He's in a virtual tie with Quick over the past couple of years but Quick seems to be having problems now with his surgery.

Rinne and Lundqvist are better. Luongo is slightly better but has been playing fewer games. Also those players have been playing on much better teams for the most part.
And I think his age does matter too. He is alot more mature now and will get better dealing with pressure.

Another thing to take into account is we have a darn good netminder locked up. There are a lot of teams that would love that. No one knows how he will do in the future but it's like that with any goaltender. If he were to have hit the open market Philly would have nabbed him. Demand was pretty high. There are teams that had better prospects for winning a cup that would have loved Price.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:38 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Learn how to read and process information properly. Once you can do that...I will engage in a discussion with you.

You seem to be romanticizing Price's playoffs. They weren't good. Was he young? Yes...but that doesn't discount what I'm saying.
This is what bothers me. How can you say that ?
He was the best player on the ice in 2011. Yes even versus a Conny Smythe goalie on the other side.

Now you will come up with the other common excuse ''One playoff doesnt make a career.''

Quote:
At this point reading all the negativity about Price when he was hung out to dry by his defence. I say trade him so he doesn't have to put up with the ******** from the fans that don't understand the game at all.

This. I know this guy is a huge part of this team and will help us be a contender year in and out but people don't realise how steady and good he his.

Old
03-29-2013, 02:47 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
It's a long shot but I'd trade Price for 1 2nd or 3rd overall this year.

I want fair value for Price and he is a franchise goalie ( that I don't like ) .

But give me any of Jones Drouin or Mackinnon for Price... Any given time...
I was thinking similar thing. Even a blockbuster with Pacioretty and a top center coming back. Sign a Tim Thomas during summer.

Old
03-29-2013, 02:52 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

good enough to he a large contributor to a cup. not a sole factor. he's very talented, but not a generational talent. other than brodeur who we all know, i can't think of any active goalie who can also be considered a generational goalie as such. which is to say that many, many other good-to-very good teams are winning cups with 'good' goalies.

Old
03-29-2013, 04:59 AM
Savannah Skunk

Price could take you to the promised land. Some teams (like my Senators) take decades to find goaltenders as good. He is young, skilled, talented and has a great career ahead of him. I hope it is with the Habs.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:26 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
This is what bothers me. How can you say that ?
He was the best player on the ice in 2011. Yes even versus a Conny Smythe goalie on the other side.

Now you will come up with the other common excuse ''One playoff doesnt make a career.''
He played well in that series for the most part. He had one poor game, but was lights out for most of that series. If that was the only playoff series he played, then I would have nothing but positive things to say about his play in the playoffs.

Old
03-29-2013, 07:46 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
He played well in that series for the most part. He had one poor game, but was lights out for most of that series. If that was the only playoff series he played, then I would have nothing but positive things to say about his play in the playoffs.
He has been in four playoff series.

His first rookie series he was amazing.
Against the Flyers he got smoked.

Against the Bruins the following season the whole team sucked. Yes, I write this off...

Two years ago he was awesome again against the Bruins.

He certainly hasn't been bad in the playoffs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
I was thinking similar thing. Even a blockbuster with Pacioretty and a top center coming back. Sign a Tim Thomas during summer.
Thomas is old and will have gone a year without having played a game. He's also a fruitcake... You would want to put our future in his hands?

And if he doesn't work out I guess you think we should just put in Budaj right? Or hey, let's go see if the Leafs will give us Reimer. Or maybe we can take Philly's nutjob of a goalie.

We have a goalie who's solid and a workhorse who's just coming into his prime years and yet you want to get rid of him?

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 03-29-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old
03-29-2013, 07:57 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post

We do rely on him to win games... all the time.

Save percentage is the best stat we have to measure goalies but it's not perfect. The problem with save percentage is that it can be skewed by a couple of bad games. Two games where Price has given up touchdowns have skewed his number by 11 points. He's been mostly awesome this season and we absolutely have relied on him to win games for us.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:02 AM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post

While I think Price is the best player on the Habs by a fair margin, you shouldn't be surprised at his reasonably low stats. The team in front of him plays a crazy aggressive system, I'm not sure of you've noticed the pinching, the blue-line pressure, the complete 180 from last year's system.

What Price offers is a chance to win nearly every game. This season he's struggled to perform at a high level consistently but there is only so much a goalie can do with a wide open d-zone in front of him.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:13 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

25th in Save pct.
20th last year

8-15 career in the playoffs

This year above all others it's "NO EXCUSES" for Price.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:37 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:

Against the Bruins the following season the whole team sucked. Yes, I write this off...

People have a bad memory it seems. He hasn't been good in the playoffs. Yes, he has been bad in the playoffs.

In his rookie series against the Bruins, he was FAR from amazing. Montreal should have won that series against the Bruins in 6 - Montreal was outplaying Boston by a fair margin. Price was actually quite bad in games 5 and 6, and luckily he recovered in time for game 7, but that series almost gave me heart attack because it should have never gone to 7 games. In the following series, Price was horrible against the Flyers.

You can't absolve Price of culpability in 2009 either. Yes, the team in front of him didn't play great, but Price still sucked. In 2010, Halak showed that you can still play amazing even when the team in front of you isn't always playing great.

His only good playoff series was in 2011 against the Bruins, but unfortunately, he was marginally outplayed by the opposing goaltender: Tim Thomas.

Price is a good goalie, but there are too many Price apologists in here wearing rose-colored glasses. To say he hasn't been bad in the playoffs is delusional, and I'm amazed at all the revisionist history rhetoric and how this false narrative is getting perpetuated by some in here.

The good news is that his last playoff performance was solid, and I'm hoping the trend is positive and that he'll bring it this season in the playoffs.

He's young and still improving. He's not perfect. He has not been awesome this year. He has been solid this year. The people criticizing him are not haters. He has the potential to be better, and he needs to step up his game. That's all.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:40 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:

Lets in 10 goals in 2 games bringing the Bruins back into the series by letting in some softies and you say "His first rookie series he was amazing". He was "amazing in half of those Bruins games and wasn't good against Philly. Did you forget Halak starting a game?

Won't even bother discussing with you.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:43 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post
People have a bad memory it seems. He hasn't been good in the playoffs. Yes, he has been bad in the playoffs.

In his rookie series against the Bruins, he was FAR from amazing. Montreal should have won that series against the Bruins in 6 - Montreal was outplaying Boston by a fair margin. Price was actually quite bad in games 5 and 6, and luckily he recovered in time for game 7, but that series almost gave me heart attack because it should have never gone to 7 games. In the following series, Price was horrible against the Flyers.

You can't absolve Price of culpability in 2009 either. Yes, the team in front of him didn't play great, but Price still sucked. In 2010, Halak showed that you can still play amazing even when the team in front of you isn't always playing great.

His only good playoff series was in 2011 against the Bruins, but unfortunately, he was marginally outplayed by the opposing goaltender: Tim Thomas.

Price is a good goalie, but there are too many Price apologists in here wearing rose-colored glasses. To say he hasn't been bad in the playoffs is delusional, and I'm amazed at all the revisionist history rhetoric and how this false narrative is getting perpetuated by some in here.

The good news is that his last playoff performance was solid, and I'm hoping the trend is positive and that he'll bring it this season in the playoffs.

He's young and still improving. He's not perfect. He has not been awesome this year. He has been solid this year. The people criticizing him are not haters. He has the potential to be better, and he needs to step up his game. That's all.
Couldn't have said it any better.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:51 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:

Thomas is old and will have gone a year without having played a game. He's also a fruitcake... You would want to put our future in his hands?

And if he doesn't work out I guess you think we should just put in Budaj right? Or hey, let's go see if the Leafs will give us Reimer. Or maybe we can take Philly's nutjob of a goalie.

We have a goalie who's solid and a workhorse who's just coming into his prime years and yet you want to get rid of him?
Solid but not good....that's just it at 6.5 million he needs to be among league leaders in save percentage and goals against average for this team to go anywhere. Currently rated at 24th and 20th in the league obviously he is not. Price seems a bit over rated, I get the opinion he can't win the big game...If could get a good core player in trade take it. Sign a free agent goalie, pair off with Tokarski.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:58 AM
BrimStone64

Carey Price Playoff numbers...anything but impressive:

In 26 playoff games..he is 8-15 with a .907 save percentage and a 2.84 goals against average.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:27 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Carey Price Playoff numbers...anything but impressive:

In 26 playoff games..he is 8-15 with a .907 save percentage and a 2.84 goals against average.
Ouch... Yeah, this guy needs to prove that he is elite, not just decent.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:33 AM
Subnordi

To the cup.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:36 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:

Really ?

Old
03-29-2013, 09:51 AM
MontrealFans

I'm amazed at this board. Price lets in 4 goals and ppl want Budaj to be #1.

Price lets in 1 against Crosby bad goalie should have stopped that. **** all the goalies must be bad cause Crosby scored a lot of goals. Team loses well price could have played better. Wow

Boston comes to town Emelin and Markov play house league on NHL level price should have stopped them. Hamilton takes a shot from 15 feet out had price saved it would have been amazing instead it goes it cause well no coverage by anyone as they are spinning around the net and falling on the ice. What do you expect goes on 90% of the time 10% amazing save. (Terrible Goalie i guess)

Emelin still playing House league follows markov and 2 forwards into corner leaving marchand all alone for a month. Please forgive me if I don't blame him on that either.

Then he makes a couple of great saves on breakaway and 2 on 1 it doesn't matter because it's a given that an nhl goalie makes saves.

Power play booins rebound to bergeron on open net he almost made save of the year but... he missed it (terrible goalie) clearly tuka rask would have saved it. Budaj 2 right?

Another 2 on 1 by bruins what is this 15th of the period??? They capitalize on one because Emelin has now degraded to ODR level with a great shot Price should have stopped that 2..

Unbelievable Rask let it 5 goals... Miller is playing terrible Im sure nothing to do with his defence either. Lundquist as well.

But no Price is the worse because home town fans are... always right. Why dont you watch another game not on the highlights see the goals allowed by every NHL goalie in the league and dont come in here with a comment like 4 goals in 1 period unacceptable.

How can that be unacceptable? If the team who has been on the moon playing hockey in the second period decided to play house league why would 4 goals be unacceptable.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:57 AM
NLHabsFan

It's easy to complain about his numbers, but he plays a lot. Only 8 goalies have played more minutes than him so far this year. Of those 8, only 3 goalies have better SV% and GAA. Those are the goalies that he should be compared with. Not goalies that play half the time. I would expect them to have better numbers. But teams don't play them like these heavy minute goalies. Why do you think? Better management or less trust?

People complains he lets in "softies." Do you watch the rest of the league? Rinne, Lundqvist, Quick, Brodeur, Miller, etc., they all give up softies. No goaltender is perfect and I wouldn't say that any are head and shoulders above Price.

Goaltending is the least of our problems.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:02 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealFans View Post
I'm amazed at this board. Price lets in 4 goals and ppl want Budaj to be #1.

Price lets in 1 against Crosby bad goalie should have stopped that. **** all the goalies must be bad cause Crosby scored a lot of goals. Team loses well price could have played better. Wow

Boston comes to town Emelin and Markov play house league on NHL level price should have stopped them. Hamilton takes a shot from 15 feet out had price saved it would have been amazing instead it goes it cause well no coverage by anyone as they are spinning around the net and falling on the ice. What do you expect goes on 90% of the time 10% amazing save. (Terrible Goalie i guess)

Emelin still playing House league follows markov and 2 forwards into corner leaving marchand all alone for a month. Please forgive me if I don't blame him on that either.

Then he makes a couple of great saves on breakaway and 2 on 1 it doesn't matter because it's a given that an nhl goalie makes saves.

Power play booins rebound to bergeron on open net he almost made save of the year but... he missed it (terrible goalie) clearly tuka rask would have saved it. Budaj 2 right?

Another 2 on 1 by bruins what is this 15th of the period??? They capitalize on one because Emelin has now degraded to ODR level with a great shot Price should have stopped that 2..

Unbelievable Rask let it 5 goals... Miller is playing terrible Im sure nothing to do with his defence either. Lundquist as well.

But no Price is the worse because home town fans are... always right. Why dont you watch another game not on the highlights see the goals allowed by every NHL goalie in the league and dont come in here with a comment like 4 goals in 1 period unacceptable.

How can that be unacceptable? If the team who has been on the moon playing hockey in the second period decided to play house league why would 4 goals be unacceptable.
This diatribe is in the wrong thread obviously.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:08 AM
BlackStar

So people have already forgotten how good he was in the Boston series two years ago huh?

Closed Thread