HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who needs or who would take Ribeiro?

Old
08-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Catch-22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyGuyGuy View Post
And for what??????

Calgary looks like they are missing a centerman.... for Lombardi
Washington for ??????

Ribeiro cannot play on the second line with Samsonov and Kovalev!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please Bob PLEASE get rid of him

The answer to the title of this thread is nobody and no one. Somebody might pick him up off waivers but that's entirely different from a trade, where they have to consider giving up something in return. Not many teams want a centre who struggles to win face-offs, can't win battles and can't play at both ends of the ice, let alone want him if they have to give up something that we would like to have.

Ribeiro is not a second line centre...at least not a good one. If another team wants to have him on their second line, good for us. That's one more team that will be easier to beat.

But I agree that he shouldn't be playing with Kovalev. Kovalev is far to valuable to be wasted on Ribeiro's line.

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 01:23 PM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
How is Johnson on faceoffs? He isnt especially creative.
Not sure, but he doesn't need to be very good to be an upgrade over Ribeiro in that dept.

Kovalev and Samsonov bring more than enough creativity to the line, a good finisher with a strong defensive presence is exactly what they need.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 02:30 PM
HabuseMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post
Why does no-one realize that Johnson can play center?

He's a 50-60 pt guy, with great speed and good size, who plays center.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/...=nhl-canadiens

Bonk would never be on our 1st line, and Ribs is not the best we have after Koivu.

Anyways, can we turn this back to the topic at hand? What teams would take Ribeiro for picks?? At 1.9 for 1year, he's a relatively low risk gamble.

so... Ribeiro is at lest a 50 points player too... and I believe he is the best center we have right after Koivu

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 02:36 PM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi View Post
so... Ribeiro is at lest a 50 points player too... and I believe he is the best center we have right after Koivu
He is a 50pt player with giant holes in his game. Like brutal scoring touch, and the inability to play a good 2way game, which is why we can't put him on th 3rd line.

Basically ribeiro is a very good passer and stick handler, that's about it. Really not something we need with Samsonov and Kovalev on the ice at the same time.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 03:11 PM
pepperMonkey

lalala, another Ribs bashing thread...hmm...has anyone thought of doing a Ribs bashing festival? (or at least a Ribs thrashing sticky) Not sure if anyone thought of this already but we could easily just have a Ribs Festival. Wouldn't that be fun boys and girls? We can all get together and have a grand ole time discussing the virtues of Ribs. Pure bliss.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Marchy79

Montreal needs and would take Ribeiro

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 06:00 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
lalala, another Ribs bashing thread...hmm...has anyone thought of doing a Ribs bashing festival? (or at least a Ribs thrashing sticky) Not sure if anyone thought of this already but we could easily just have a Ribs Festival. Wouldn't that be fun boys and girls? We can all get together and have a grand ole time discussing the virtues of Ribs. Pure bliss.
it is one of the week's Ribs bashing threads . Normaly . a RDS bashing thread is following ; sometime about this or that comentator , but most of the time , about the talkboard . People there are so dump !

Than we will have a thread about a french player who is rumoured to be trade or signed here ; the people are going to explain why they don't want this one way soft player.

Finally , to finish the week , there will have the 110 % bashing thread ; subject ? how those %@@!%$* are racist , because they said that Markov just talk a little bit of english ...

to the Habs hockey board

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 06:02 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Does another Habs player got more points than him , in the last 2 years ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2006, 06:08 PM
HabuseMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Does another Habs player got more points than him , in the last 2 years ?
Points and goal are nothing in the head of the average habs fan

thats why they're always sending Ryder+Ribeiro for some trash that cant put up 40 points a season in every proposal.

I may be exagerating a bit, but it pisses me off.

Old
08-12-2006, 09:08 AM
Stan

I'm not a Ribs fan at all. He's easily my least favorite Hab. Having said that, I was pleasantly surprised by his effort toward the end of the season and into the playoffs. Obviously he's not going to be a banger...he just doesn't have the body for it, but as long as he gives the effort and battles I'm fine with him as our second line centre (can't believe I just wrote that). If he reverts back to the pre-Theodore trade Ribeiro.....then he needs to go. I guess I haven't completely given up hope for him yet.

And the bathroom thing....who cares....get off your soapbox. What we should be asking is....was the chick hot?

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 10:49 AM
CaptCrunch

I remember when Ribeiro came into the league. I was as excited as any other about his play.

He had (and still have) an increadible vision of the game. When you see passes that lead directly into goals, or passes that surprises your own teamates, you know you have a special player.

I admit I was frustrated when he was benched into the pressbox for Perreault or Gilmore. That year (2001-2002), he played 43 games with the big club and did not put much point, but it was enough to show you he had something there.

You see,I guess we hockey fans like make projections about our rookies. We like to imagine what they'll look like once they are given the space to become regulars. Even then, without strong points on the boards (4-8=18 pts), you see there were an opportunity to develop a special player. The vision was there and he had increadible passing skills.

Ribs finally came in full time (more than 60 games) in 2003-2004. He made a strong showing in the regular season with 20 goals, 45 assists for 65 pts. He centered a line that looked very well balanced with Dagenais, the shooter, on his left and a young Ryder, playing a more complete game, on his right. That season gave a lot of hope to different guys, including me.

And that line, which performed so well in regular season, was completely, brutally shut down in the following playoffs. In the pressure cooker of a playoff game, they could not find the space, the time, to distance themselves from the opposition.

When last season started, I expected more from that line. That didn't happen.

Despite his vision and passing ability, Ribeiro was shown as a player that was too slow to be that small and too small to be that slow. He put in good numbers for a 2nd line center, 16 goals and 35 assists for 51 points in the regular season, yet, when the playoffs came in, we were presented with an unidimensional player.

Often countered on the offensive rush because he lacked speed, unable to make a strong impact in front of the crease or along the boards because of his small frame, lacking a scoring touch when presented with golden opportunities, he still had that vision and that passing ability but he seemed to lack the "mechanics" to put them together with enough gusto to make a strong impact. Because that's what I'm looking for in a player, impact. Stats give you an indication of the player but only through watching him shift after shift can you see the true mesure of his game. I found Ribeiro's game stagnating.

The reason I'm not so high on Ribeiro is that he didn't progress. As a matter of fact, he looked like he regressed a bit. I'm not confident with him as a playoff 2nd center. I don't think he showed he could carry a just load.

It might be better if he didn't look that debonnaire and immature. Its as if he thinks its enough, that its the media, that he puts enough points on the line in the regular season and that it validates his status as a regular NHL player... That kind of attitude worries me a lot. Enough to look elsewhere for other options. Yes, he's our 2nd best center. It shouldn't be that way.

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
The answer to the title of this thread is nobody and no one. Somebody might pick him up off waivers but that's entirely different from a trade, where they have to consider giving up something in return. Not many teams want a centre who struggles to win face-offs, can't win battles and can't play at both ends of the ice, let alone want him if they have to give up something that we would like to have.

Ribeiro is not a second line centre...at least not a good one. If another team wants to have him on their second line, good for us. That's one more team that will be easier to beat.

But I agree that he shouldn't be playing with Kovalev. Kovalev is far to valuable to be wasted on Ribeiro's line.
I don't know...I mean that's what we said about Bulis, but it seems that Vancouver was really happy to show him an open door and sign him to a relatively nice contract. I think that Ribs would fetch some definite attention on the free agent market, but his trade value would be low. Then again most mid range players are the same. I think he'll play second line NHL until his mid 30's when he slows down and age overcomes experience. But until then he'll play full time in the NHL.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 11:58 AM
habs86

vCash: 265
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
well lets see, all you guys are hard on ribs, but you know what, he was great for us in the playoffs a few years ago, (besides his theatrical play). we are fans, lets remember this, we are the ones who sit and drink beer while this guy, is actually fullfilling a dream we all would love to be in. if you do not think he deserves to be where he is, get off your butt and start your NHL career, some people must think he is worth keeping. BG did re-sign him right?!!!!!!

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 11:59 AM
the_crippler12

Montreal Canadiens ...end

the_crippler12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 12:00 PM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
And for what??????

Washington for ??????

Keep him. We wont get any better until 2007 UFA market so just keep Mike Ribeiro and watch him put 70 points

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 12:01 PM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs86 View Post
if you do not think he deserves to be where he is, get off your butt and start your NHL career..
Ohhh, puhleeese...

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 12:04 PM
HabuseMoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKourage View Post
Keep him. We wont get any better until 2007 UFA market so just keep Mike Ribeiro and watch him put 70 points
actually next year ufa centers are almost the same as this year...

there's nothing really interesting in the bunch

Old
08-12-2006, 12:06 PM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
actually next year ufa centers are almost the same as this year...

there's nothing really interesting in the bunch
Chris Drury. Buffalo are in cap trouble and we might have a chance on him.

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 12:15 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKourage View Post
Chris Drury. Buffalo are in cap trouble and we might have a chance on him.
Drury is a nice player, but once again a player on the smaller side and I think we have a similar player here in Montreal already in Higgins.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs86 View Post
well lets see, all you guys are hard on ribs, but you know what, he was great for us in the playoffs a few years ago, (besides his theatrical play). we are fans, lets remember this, we are the ones who sit and drink beer while this guy, is actually fullfilling a dream we all would love to be in. if you do not think he deserves to be where he is, get off your butt and start your NHL career, some people must think he is worth keeping. BG did re-sign him right?!!!!!!

He had 3 pts in 11 games in the 2004 playoffs.

Gainey only resigned him to a 1-year contract.

Old
08-12-2006, 02:53 PM
HabuseMoi

Gainey signs half the team to one year contract

Old
08-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post
I don't know...I mean that's what we said about Bulis, but it seems that Vancouver was really happy to show him an open door and sign him to a relatively nice contract. I think that Ribs would fetch some definite attention on the free agent market, but his trade value would be low. Then again most mid range players are the same. I think he'll play second line NHL until his mid 30's when he slows down and age overcomes experience. But until then he'll play full time in the NHL.

Bulis is a more rugged player who can play at both ends of the ice...even if it's only once every two weeks. Bulis can also play the wing, which is not as important as centre. He had to leave Montreal for other reasons. We are clearly in a "climb" phase and we have a lot of talent in the farm with more potential than Bulis. At some point the Habs had to cut bait and decide who's in for the long term. Even then it's pretty clear to me that Bulis thinks he is better than he is. He has never had more than 40 pts in a season.

Even if he's got a high opinion of himslef, he is going to a team that's lost Bertuzzi, Carter and Jovanovski and obviously needs to plug some big holes. It makes sense for Vancouver to have Bulis right now, but not us. I will add that I'm not sure Vancouver is an improved team. They will be fortunate to make the playoffs.

I really don't think Ribeiro is in the same position as Bulis. He really does't bring a lot other than flashy hands.

Old
08-12-2006, 03:11 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Gainey signs half the team to one year contract
Those are usually rookie RFA's....guys who haven't proven anything yet or know that they aren't worth more. Interesting that Ribeiro falls into that category.

The only other players who get one-year deals are those who go to arbitration, or injury-prone guys who need to prove they can play a full season (ie. Lindros circa 2005).

Rarely do valuable players accept one-year cotracts, especially with their "dream" teams.

Rarely do teams prefer to sign valuable players to one-year contracts, and run the risk losing them next off-season.

Old
08-12-2006, 03:15 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
here are my 2 cents...

If you can't appreciate a guy muff diving in the bathroom of a club, then you haven't lived yet.

But as for Ribs value elsewhere, I don't think his market value is very high right now. So this is his year to make or break it with us.

Old
08-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Kafka

Quote:
And for what??????

Washington for ??????

3 forwards on the ice is better than 2. With Koivu's eye injury, Ribeiro is precious for Carbonneau. Habs lack a quality centerman and should trade a winger to get it.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote